ROH public booking, spring season 2020

I got through the queue in under a minute, which was a pleasant surprise. The ticket prices for the Spring Gala were then an unpleasant surprise! The cheapest seats in the stalls circle were £76, which if I remember correctly is about £20 more than I paid for the Fonteyn Gala last season. I did still buy one though. Unsurprisingly they went very quickly, given the next price up is £95 and most of the stalls circle is £195.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I got through the queue in under a minute, which was a pleasant surprise. The ticket prices for the Spring Gala were then an unpleasant surprise! The cheapest seats in the stalls circle were £76, which if I remember correctly is about £20 more than I paid for the Fonteyn Gala last season. I did still buy one though. Unsurprisingly they went very quickly, given the next price up is £95 and most of the stalls circle is £195.

I’ll have to rely on you for some decent pics 😀

• Like 2

Given that booking for the Gala opened for everyone this morning, I thought I would have a problem booking a seat. However I managed to get into the site with only a delay of a minute or so and was able to book for the front row of the amphitheatre. 

• Like 1

Hasn't it historically been the case that the standing tickets aren't put on sale for galas?

There are no SCS or Balcony standing places available (unless they have just sold out), but Lower Slips Standing tickets are available...

Third day running on the ticket quest for me: Monday for the RBS at Holland Park; Tuesday for the RBS Spring Term bookings; today for the ROH Spring Gala.

Moderate success all round but (ouch!) the ROH prices are really, really steep - especially for an undisclosed programme.

41 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Hasn't it historically been the case that the standing tickets aren't put on sale for galas?

There are no SCS or Balcony standing places available (unless they have just sold out), but Lower Slips Standing tickets are available...

I got one for the gala - there were two available, which must have been in someone's basket as when you clicked on them, they were unavailabe (which was a little annoying, but understandable I guess). But then two more appeared, so I was able to grab one of those successfully

53 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I got an SCS ticket but I was very lucky with the queue - so lucky that I pretty much had my pick of them.

When I looked again immediately after paying they had all gone.

Edited by Lizbie1
Rubbishy syntax

On the whole am not really a gala fan but occasionally for a special occasion or a dancer I really wouldn’t normally be able to get to see I might go for it but at the moment probably leaving this one. 
Have nothing booked after Swan Lake in April yet....  I can’t get that enthusiastic about anything being performed this summer except the RBS show! 

Gala ticket prices are, in my experience and regardless of the organisation or field of endeavour, always higher than regular ticket prices. (Fidelio being perhaps the exception to this rule 🙃).

Galas are often a way of raising additional revenue from those who attend for the benefit of a wider population

For me buying a ticket for the ROH Spring Gala is a way of giving a little back to the institution, staff and performers who provide me with exceptional and memorable moments throughout the year. Availability and price have prevented me from standing or sitting in my regular spots so I’ve bought a mid-price amphi seat from which I anticipate watching a unique and world class programme. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

On the whole am not really a gala fan

...whereas I, LinMM, am a sucker for them! I love the unpredictability, the often chaotic and under-rehearsed shows, the muddly programming, the unexpected surprises, the anticipated “surprises”, the one-up-personship between performers (once - no names - two people were booked who couldn't stand one another, so one appeared in the first half, the other carefully separate, after the interval, so that there was no risk of them running into each other backstage) - in short the sheer showbizzyness of it all.

Often one sees amazing things that are new, or novel aspects of performers or works one knows well, perhaps simply because the context is so different. In any case some of the loveliest and most moving experiences I have ever spent in theatres have been galas (just recently and just at the ROH, I remember the Hvorostovsky tribute and the Fonteyn evening, for example). But it’s always pot luck, so overpaying may well be a foolish investment.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Geoff said:

...whereas I, LinMM, am a sucker for them! I love the unpredictability, the often chaotic and under-rehearsed shows, the muddly programming, the unexpected surprises, the anticipated “surprises”, the one-up-personship between performers (once - no names - two people were booked who couldn't stand one another, so one appeared in the first half, the other carefully separate, after the interval, so that there was no risk of them running into each other backstage) - in short the sheer showbizzyness of it all.

Often one sees amazing things that are new, or novel aspects of performers or works one knows well, perhaps simply because the context is so different. In any case some of the loveliest and most moving experiences I have ever spent in theatres have been galas (just recently and just at the ROH, I remember the Hvorostovsky tribute and the Fonteyn evening, for example). But it’s always pot luck, so overpaying may well be a foolish investment.

Great post, Geoff! Apart from the Fonteyn one I haven't been to a gala for years because I got very jaded about them (too often underwhelming and overpriced); but you've now made me very glad that for some reason I decided to book for the 20th May at the ROH.

• Like 2

I have been to some lovely galas in my time but as a general rule I don’t get that excited by them unless linked to some charity fund raising eg: the fairly recent Maguire Gala and the Grenfell Gala ( which would have been right up your street Geoff... very makeshift.. no costumes etc...but it was for such a good cause)  

I can’t see ANY info on the May gala at all !!!

So not so encouraging and am not sure I understand your post prs59 is this gala raising money for the ROH? 
Regards the Summer programme there’s a triple I won’t be attending a new work Dante which could be amazing but could be awful so will wait to hear news on that one and a triple which I’m more tempted by but usually have to be keen on at least two of the three!! Hence a bit of lack of enthusiasm from me which is rare on the whole. 
The Linbury programme does look quite interesting though 😊 and already looking forward to RBS show even though difficult to get tickets for....maybe I need a holiday 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

I can’t see ANY info on the May gala at all !!!

So not so encouraging and am not sure I understand your post prs59 is this gala raising money for the ROH? 

per the website:

”The Royal Opera and The Royal Ballet come together for a spectacular evening of music, opera and dance. Oliver Mears, Director of Opera, and Kevin O’Hare, Director of The Royal Ballet, along with Creative Producers Kate Wyatt and Emma Southworth, have curated a unique programme that draws together the breadth of talent and experience from around the Royal Opera House. A series of artistic highlights will showcase the extraordinary range of world class talent and productions through which life is continually reimagined on the Covent Garden stage.

The evening will be conducted by Marco Armiliato and Koen Kessels, with the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House and the Royal Opera Chorus, and will feature internationally acclaimed opera singers Angela Gheorghiu, Aida Garifullina, Piotr Beczala, Benjamin Bernheim and Simon Keenlyside among others. The world-renowned Principal Dancers of The Royal Ballet will be joined by the full Company and Guest Artist Roberto Bolle.

All proceeds of the evening’s performance and dinner will benefit the Royal Opera House Covent Garden Foundation, enabling us to continue to present extraordinary performances, remarkable craftsmanship and inspiring projects for learning and participation.”

i hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Yes it does I didn’t really read the blurb on this gala for some reason 🙄 

I suppose it’s a bit like underfunded schools trying to raise money through various events etc 

Though some of my friends who live much further away from London may well argue that the ROH is already well funded!!