Going to rehearsals - why?

Following on from a discussion about ticket availability for rehearsals at the ROH in another thread... why do people go to rehearsals? (Genuine question.) I used to go to rehearsals - RB and others - occasionally when I was younger, because a) they used to be cheaper than they are now, and b) they were sometimes 'real' rehearsals, i.e. aiming to get things right on stage before opening. Over time, they became simple run-throughs of the work/s, differing in no significant way from a performance except that you didn't really know if the performers were 'giving their all' or not. So I no longer saw the point of going to them when they used up money that could be used for a performance. I remember an LFB rehearsal taken by Beryl Grey years ago - she was in the auditorium with a mike, directing the rehearsal, correcting mistakes, etc - it was fascinating! But rehearsals aren't like that now. So I'd be interested to hear why people go. (I hope I'm not too enlightened, since I already spend too much on performances!).

I go to the BRB rehearsals at The Lowry.

When the company used to do an extra week there before the Spring season started they were often full dress rehearsals.  In a way, I prefer them when they are not.

This year I found the Beauty and the Beast rehearsal absolutely fascinating as, for the most part, it was not done in costume.  Don't get me wrong, I am very fond of David Bintley's Beauty and the Beast, but until I saw this rehearsal I don't think I had realised just how intricate some of the choreography is.  I found it really illuminating and it enhanced my enjoyment of the performances I saw.

Studio-type rehearsals are interesting in a different way.  When I was able to go to them in Birmingham and when I can go to Northern Ballet they add another dimension whether (for a new ballet) you are seeing part of the creative process or a different cast is learning a role or a work is being revived.  One of my fondest memories is from a revival of Hobson's Choice where David Bintley was rehearsing a dancer in the clog dance from Act 1.  I remember thinking the whole way through that David Bintley himself was born to dance the role of Will Mossop.  It was very special.

So I go to watch rehearsals to hopefully learn more about the work I will be watching and to enjoy them.

• Like 2

For me it’s because their cheaper and you get a “full” performance ( ballet). With Opera whilst the main singers are not going full blast I can take chance on whether I will like it or not without paying top dollar.

• Like 2

For me it’s simply because I can pack in another show if there’s something I want to see in the evening. As a rule I spend more on getting to a performance than on the ticket itself, so I’m always looking for opportunities to double up.

I also rather like the “pot luck” aspect of ballet rehearsals.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I go to the BRB rehearsals at The Lowry.

When the company used to do an extra week there before the Spring season started they were often full dress rehearsals.  In a way, I prefer them when they are not.

This year I found the Beauty and the Beast rehearsal absolutely fascinating as, for the most part, it was not done in costume.  Don't get me wrong, I am very fond of David Bintley's Beauty and the Beast, but until I saw this rehearsal I don't think I had realised just how intricate some of the choreography is.  I found it really illuminating and it enhanced my enjoyment of the performances I saw.

Studio-type rehearsals are interesting in a different way.  When I was able to go to them in Birmingham and when I can go to Northern Ballet they add another dimension whether (for a new ballet) you are seeing part of the creative process or a different cast is learning a role or a work is being revived.  One of my fondest memories is from a revival of Hobson's Choice where David Bintley was rehearsing a dancer in the clog dance from Act 1.  I remember thinking the whole way through that David Bintley himself was born to dance the role of Will Mossop.  It was very special.

So I go to watch rehearsals to hopefully learn more about the work I will be watching and to enjoy them.

Thanks, Jan. I suppose I got frustrated because the rehearsals open to the public/Friends now generally do seem to be 'full dress rehearsals' which to me is just performance-lite. I'd love to see more rehearsals of the type you describe. (I rarely go to masterclasses etc now, because (again) they've got more expensive over time and so compete with the cost of a performance. But I do very much see the point of going to those sorts of events.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'd love to see more rehearsals of the type you describe. (I rarely go to masterclasses etc now, because (again) they've got more expensive over time and so compete with the cost of a performance. But I do very much see the point of going to those sorts of events.)

a good few of the RB  'insight' type rehearsals (mainly in the clore) are now streamed, and then put on youtube. Watching those can be illuminating, without any cost. Not the same as being there obviously, as you have to watch what the camera is showing, rather than what you eye would want to see. Still, better than nowt!

• Like 8

It's quite rare for me to go to ROH dress rehearsals as I have an office job and they are usually weekday daytimes.  When I do, I often book a return at the last minute; this tends to yield a better seat than if I'd done so when booking opened, so as somebody who typically pays between £6 and £20 for a standing ticket, I can often get a decent seat in the Stalls Circle or Balcony for under £30 which for a performance might sometimes cost £200+.  For ballet, another advantage of booking at short notice is it's often possible to find out on the grapevine by then which cast will be dancing - and that's often one I haven't already booked for.  For opera, it's an additional social experience for me as I always run into loads of singers I know in the audience.

Sometimes a rehearsal date is convenient when a performance date is not.  As it happens, I have booked a performance ticket for Werther in the autumn season, but will go to the rehearsal as well (it's on a Saturday morning) which will then give me the freedom to pass the performance ticket on elsewhere if I don't feel the need to see it again.  And sometimes I want to go to every performance of something anyway, and seeing the rehearsal as well is a bonus!

Earlier-stage working rehearsals, like the ballet insights which are based on studio coaching, are obviously a totally different experience and very interesting in their own right!

• Like 2

Good question!

For ROH operas - in order to afford to see them at all at a reasonable price in a reasonable seat.

For the RB:

• to get a 'preview' which enables me to (re)familiarise myself with the production and probably enjoy the shows more as a result
  • to catch a cast I may not have booked for or an 'extra' from a favourite dancer
  • to see a ballet from a different part of the auditorium
  • force of habit/not wanting to feel that I've 'missed something'
  • (sometimes) the adrenaline rush which comes with trying to nab a ticket at the last minute

But, in common with others, I now watch the Insight rehearsals mainly online.

For ENB:

• because my 'friends' membership enables me to see real studio rehearsals - a privilege to be there

I don't book for ENB's Working Stage Rehearsals now that they are straight run-throughs.

In the case of BRB and other companies appearing at Sadlers Wells, I no longer have the memberships which might afford me access to rehearsals.

• Like 5

On another practical note - on the odd occasion on which a Royal Opera dress rehearsal is on a weekday evening, the typical start time is 6:00 or 6:30.  Which means no spare time to kill between leaving work and going to the opera - usually I'll get fed during the interval by taking advantage of the ROH's casual rehearsal catering - and an early night!

• Like 1

I agree that rehearsals can make the most of a visit to London at little extra cost.  There’s also the ‘surprise’ factor for ballet rehearsals as it’s not at all clear who might be dancing.  You can probably rule out the opening night’s cast if the rehearsal is on the same day but having spent time choosing which casts to see for advertised performances, it can be very satisfying seeing a cast who I might not have chosen and coming away even more impressed by the strength of the Royal Ballet.  I’ve been less taken with some Opera rehearsals, in part because singers are much more likely to mark their parts, but I’d still chose to go to an Opera rehearsal if it fits conveniently as part of a London visit.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JohnS said:

You can probably rule out the opening night’s cast if the rehearsal is on the same day

This assumption generally holds for full-length ballets but not necessarily for the component parts of a mixed bill - least of all if a one-act ballet is a premiere.

• Like 2

I find the early start impossible to get to, but have booked for the SB rehearsal which starts at 12.30, I can miss the Prologue if I don't arrive on time and already have a ticket for Manon in the evening, was surprised how expensive tickets are, amphi S-T is £23, so I bought row U for £5!

20 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Is this the only time the dancers get to dance with the orchestra. It was for the Royal Ballet School; we went on the Saturday morning and that was their only go.

In the case of the RB, usually, yes. The 'pre-general' rehearsal is a (partially costumed) stage call with piano accompaniment and the stage calls before that are also with a piano.

Sort of relevant to the discussions - received this message earlier today - 

We look forward to opening booking tomorrow morning for Autumn Season rehearsals, allowing you to book additional tickets up to the maximum of four tickets per Friend across the Autumn Season.

We’re aware that some Friends have experienced issues with buying tickets online in this priority booking period; we are sorry for the inconvenience caused and are working to resolve the issue. To give yourself the best chance of buying tickets quickly, Friends are advised to avoid refreshing the rehearsals page or attempting to buy tickets before booking opens at 9am. Simply go to the website after 9am, ensuring you are logged into your account, and then click the buy buttons without refreshing. You'll then be taken to select your seats as usual. 

We hope you enjoy our wonderful Autumn Season at the Royal Opera House and look forward to welcoming you here very soon. 

13 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

For me it’s simply because I can pack in another show if there’s something I want to see in the evening. As a rule I spend more on getting to a performance than on the ticket itself, so I’m always looking for opportunities to double up.

Yes, when I was travelling several hundred miles to watch ENB I always appreciated the chance to watch the afternoon rehearsal prior to the first night - made the cost of the travel seem less painful.  Those always used to be working rehearsals, though, rather than a flat-out run-through.  I stopped going to their London rehearsals when they started being on in the evening, as it was less convenient, unless I was already up in town.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2019 at 00:30, bridiem said:

Following on from a discussion about ticket availability for rehearsals at the ROH in another thread... why do people go to rehearsals? (Genuine question.) I used to go to rehearsals - RB and others - occasionally when I was younger, because a) they used to be cheaper than they are now, and b) they were sometimes 'real' rehearsals, i.e. aiming to get things right on stage before opening. Over time, they became simple run-throughs of the work/s, differing in no significant way from a performance except that you didn't really know if the performers were 'giving their all' or not. So I no longer saw the point of going to them when they used up money that could be used for a performance. I remember an LFB rehearsal taken by Beryl Grey years ago - she was in the auditorium with a mike, directing the rehearsal, correcting mistakes, etc - it was fascinating! But rehearsals aren't like that now. So I'd be interested to hear why people go. (I hope I'm not too enlightened, since I already spend too much on performances!).

You made a number of perceptive observations. Rehearsals open to public are more often than not, yet another form of publicity affairs. Real work is done elsewhere. It is there where one has a chance to have a close look at various dancers, to observe their qualities.

Royal Ballet rehearsals are a great way for me to take a friend who hasn’t necessarily tried ballet or the opera house before and is less willing to part with serious cash for doing so- it’s a bit of evangelising on my part.

ENB rehearsals are fascinating because although you can’t hear the corrections from below, they are still happening and sometimes you get to see eg the grand pdd done by a couple of different dancers which is nice to compare. Also was fascinated by Manon out of costume - was even more drawn in.

Studio rehearsals and watching corrections being taken on board so quickly is really interesting to watch and I love the focus of a very specific section, and getting the chance to understand things like character motivation etc. 

• Like 5