Alexander Campbell interview

Anyone read tbe Country Life interview with Alexander Campbell? Parts of it really interested me. He talks of auditioning for an American in Paris but what would he have done. Taqken a sabbatical? Lots of other comments which makes me think he will stick with ballet as long as its interesting but he wants to do other stuff. Perhaps that is not surprising given presenting interests. Made me think powers that be should be thinking about giving him fresh things to do. I found it interesting from a sheer lack of ambition for ballet career point of you.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Alexander Campbell interview
21 hours ago, Shya100 said:

Anyone read tbe Country Life interview with Alexander Campbell? Parts of it really interested me. He talks of auditioning for an American in Paris but what would he have done. Taqken a sabbatical? Lots of other comments which makes me think he will stick with ballet as long as its interesting but he wants to do other stuff. Perhaps that is not surprising given presenting interests. Made me think powers that be should be thinking about giving him fresh things to do. I found it interesting from a sheer lack of ambition for ballet career point of you.

I've just read this online. I suppose he has such a strong stage presence that perhaps it's not surprising that he's attracted to using it in other spheres too. But I really really hope that he sticks with ballet for now! He's such an exceptional talent and has so much still to do and give. I hope that perhaps the editing or conduct of the interview made it sound less ballet-focussed than it could have been. After all most people probably aren't that interested in reading about ballet in any detail, so they were probably trying to broaden it out by banging on about cricket and showbiz etc. Well I hope so anyway...

• Like 2

This struck me as pragmatism more than anything else, much like Steven McRae making a point of getting a degree in Business Management (which Campbell said in his Dance Europe interview that he's also doing), Elizabeth Harrod earning nutritionist qualifications, Eric Underwood and various other dancers developing modeling and clothing design sidelines, and so forth. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bridiem said:

I've just read this online. I suppose he has such a strong stage presence that perhaps it's not surprising that he's attracted to using it in other spheres too. But I really really hope that he sticks with ballet for now! He's such an exceptional talent and has so much still to do and give. I hope that perhaps the editing or conduct of the interview made it sound less ballet-focussed than it could have been. After all most people probably aren't that interested in reading about ballet in any detail, so they were probably trying to broaden it out by banging on about cricket and showbiz etc. Well I hope so anyway...

Is this widely available to read online or for subscribers only?

I have just answered my own question and found it!

Here is the link

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/out-and-about/theatre-film-music/tale-real-life-billy-elliot-cricketer-alexander-campbell-swapped-batting-ballet-171602

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Mimi said:

This struck me as pragmatism more than anything else, much like Steven McRae making a point of getting a degree in Business Management (which Campbell said in his Dance Europe interview that he's also doing), Elizabeth Harrod earning nutritionist qualifications, Eric Underwood and various other dancers developing modeling and clothing design sidelines, and so forth. 

Well yes of course and it is pragmatic and sensible but Singing in the Rain is now and he has a very full time job. He would have left or taken a sabbatical I suppose.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mauriceC said:

Surprised the article made no reference to his  highly successful career at BRB ...or did I miss it?

11 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

No you didn't!

This is becoming a trend now.  Even Kevin O'Hare talks as though he was only ever with the RB.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2018 at 00:45, Mimi said:

I hope you are right and he hasn't been infected with Poluninitis.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2018 at 22:28, bridiem said:

He's such an exceptional talent and has so much still to do and give. I hope that perhaps the editing or conduct of the interview made it sound less ballet-focussed than it could have been. After all most people probably aren't that interested in reading about ballet in any detail, so they were probably trying to broaden it out by banging on about cricket and showbiz etc. Well I hope so anyway...

I guess the URL is a bit of a giveaway as to the audience they're aiming at.  My, it must've been hard down t'pit in Sydney, especially when your parents move in cricketing circles :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sim said:

And is Nehemiah Kish a star?!

I dont think so. Does he actually do anything? To me he's one of those principals who you question why they are there.

In any event i finally read the article and it seems kind of recycled. They've been using the "billy elliot" comparison with Steven McRae since the 2003 Prix.  Though that sucks that he has to share a dressing room with 2 other people. From what i've heard the girls get their own and the boys have to share but 3 people? not a very special advantage for a promotion. It also seems to play up on some facts like  he didn't "win" the Genee, he got silver and the "all alone with nobody to talk to" well...He's the same age as McRae and he was there at the same time who also lived in the hostel. Two young Australians together in a foreign country. Sounds like a sitcom to me. They could make a ballet out of it.  Though they could/should have included some of his accomplishments from the BRB as from I understand he did quite well there.

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Not really :). I have always wondered why on earth Monica Mason took him on. The only time I was slightly impressed with Kish was when I saw him in Frankenstein. Frankly there are male dancers down the ranks who impress far more! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sim said:

A classic case of a hack writer feeling the need for an epithet. My immediate thought was "Russian STAR Vadim Muntagirov and American dancer Nehemiah Kish".

6 hours ago, MissMonk said:

I don't think so. Does he actually do anything? To me he's one of those principals who you question why they are there.

Monica Mason appointed Nehemiah Kish. I think that it was at a season preview that she declared him to be "gorgeous" and enquired  rhetorically why, at her age, she couldn't have someone so good looking if she wanted him! In fairness to Kish, however, it should be remembered that he has suffered a lot of injury lately.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

I suspect that as a general rule  when it comes to the nineteenth century ballets most people book for the female lead and that few people worry themselves too much about who her partner is going to be unless there is someone to whom they have a complete aversion. In those ballets it is the woman who is the star not the man. If you did not want to see Takada's debut as Giselle you are unlikely to have seen his Albrecht. The reason you did not see him during the 2016-17 season was that he was off injured.

The ballets created by Petipa or revised by him were devised to display the Mariinsky's Italian stars who as guest artists were given choreography which emphasised their technical prowess which was the product of exceptional training and technical advances in shoe construction in Milan. Male technique had not advanced to the same extent and as these ballets are all about showing off the star ballerina the male lead's duty in performing them is to support and display his partner to best advantage without drawing too much attention to himself as he does so. In these princely roles unobtrusiveness in partnering is a virtue while effortless elegance is more than sufficient when dancing solos. Princes should not look as if they are trying to draw attention to themselves by setting the stage on fire in these roles. That is the province of the demi character dancer in roles designed for them not for someone dancing a prince which in these ballets is essentially a danseur noble role. 

Kish may have been brought into the company to dance with Yanowsky but he has danced with plenty of other dancers and he is clearly seen as a safe pair of hands. Whether or not you have seen him in previous seasons probably has more to do with whom he was dancing than anything else. Being a safe pair of hands sounds as if I am damning him with faint praise. I am not.  It is not fashionable today simply to be an attentive, self effacing partner in these roles like Macleary was. Perhaps this is  because today there are far more dancers appearing in these roles who in previous generations would have been excluded from them because they were demi character dancers who were unable to adjust their performance style from bravura technical display to princely elegance. There is obviously a difference between being technically compelling but restrained and simply going on stage to show how strong your technique is and how well you can jump and turn.Very few dancers seem capable of  displaying brilliant technique while retaining the character of a prince by apparently making no effort and by finishing everything very elegantly. Both Dowell and Wall could, Muntagirov certainly can, and Hay suggested he can in Sleeping Beauty. Seeing too many princely show offs can blunt our appreciation of those whose ideal is the display princely effortless elegance in dancing  and unobtrusiveness in partnering. 

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Josephine said:

Some of the comments above make for very uncomfortable reading in my view. It seems both unnecessary and unfair to hijack the thread with this chain of negative criticism I think.

I agree with your point and I wish to apologise. I have the utmost respect for all dancers who dedicate their life to an art form I very much enjoy and my comment did not reflect this respect.  Sorry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I found the spiteful and unnecessary references to Polunin on this thread not just uncomfortable but downright offensive.

Comment on Mr Campbell and others mentioned in the interview by all means, but leave Polunin out of it.

Edited by MAB
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...