Taking Ballet Exams as an adult

JCS

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Aww thank you. It’s literally never too late - I started 2 years ago aged 45, but there are people in classes I’ve been to in their 60s and above who are new to dance. And no - no particular amount of flexibility is required to start. You will develop and improve that as you go along no matter your starting point.

Teachers of beginners or absolute beginners classes are very welcoming to all no matter what age, sex or physique. They are just glad you’ve turned up and are trying to learn.

What part of the country are you in if you don’t mind sharing? Forum members will most likely be able to recommend some local classes for you to try. 

Definitely don’t wait until you retire though - why put off having such fun 😊

Aww thanks ! Yes I've already seen a class advertised locally for adults and had been thinking about it. Would be complete beginner so all this talk of grade 5 and so on sounds like a long way off...I'll check on the timings to see if it could be fitted in...

• Like 3

I said this in the Cecchetti thread:

And big shout out to Cecchetti teacher Emily Wallace in Sunderland, and her adult class 'older' students who recently passed with merits and distinctions their Cecchetti class exam, Standard 3.   Anne who gained a distinction is 75.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=637850111482263&set=a.527691002498175

Which brings us back to the beginning of this thread.  Seriously, Cecchetti is for all who want to learn.

If you want to dance,  @BalletEnthusiast  give it a try! Exams or no exams, just enjoy.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

I don’t have trouble getting fully over on pointe, it’s just that my ankles (more noticeably my right one) are not stable enough so I fear just going too far over and injuring myself. 
I’ve also noticed a bad habit developing of doing literal push ups on the barre so that it almost looks like I’m doing a single leg releve, but in reality all the effort has come from my arms and shoulders propping myself up on the barre out of fear. 

I have the same issue. After some nasty ankle injuries, including one following a fall from a double pirouette en pointe, I have no faith that my left ankle is going to be able to support me in the centre. I'm honestly so scared that I can't even force myself to try single leg releves in the centre on that side. It's become a real issue now I'm working on Advanced 2 pointe, where I have to do renverse, hops, even fouette turns on that side. 

This year we've started to realise more and more that the ankle isn't the problem, it's actually my weight placement that is off and makes it feel so insecure. I have been so scared of going too far over on the left foot that I don't bring my pelvis far enough over to centre my balance over that foot, and instead compensate by leaning my torso and shoulders over more. And I've actually somehow taught myself to balance and turn in that position! It's been a real journey identifying the right placement and building up strength in that position, now I just need to retrain my brain to find that position first time, every time. Easier said than done! 

• Like 4

Thrilled to hear everyone's news and updates! Viv do you think you will pursue the Adv 2 exam? I am aiming for the possibility of taking it this year (I don't know if I truly have capacity, but am giving it my all this year to try). On the side I am also taking ISDT National Intermediate and RAD Grade 7 exams potentially as well. Happy dancing everyone!

• Like 4

Ahaha, if you'd asked me that at the end of last year I would have said a firm and unequivocal NO! But I'm backing away from that stance a bit now 😅  I've been a bit nervous to commit to the exam because Adv 1 almost killed me and I couldn't face putting all of that pressure on myself again. My Adv 1 journey wasn't the most positive, I spent half the time injured and feeling defeated. Then it finished on a really high note with a great result and I went "excellent, never have to go through that again" 😂

With most RAD exams, I have set the exam as my goal because I felt like it really pushed me. For Adv 2 I'm sort of taking the opposite approach. I have decided to just keep working and enjoying the classes and the progress, and then to reassess in the middle of next year. If I am happy with my work to the point where I go you know what, I'm feeling really confident with the set work, I really want to show this to someone and cap off my RAD journey - then I will do the exam. If, on the other hand, I get there and go, I've learned a lot and I'm happy with where I am but there's still more to keep working on - then I think I'll let that be enough for me. 

If you do decide to give it a go Berry I will be seriously impressed! It should not be underestimated just how bloody hard this exam is!!! You are inspirational 🤩

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Viv said:

I have decided to just keep working and enjoying the classes and the progress, and then to reassess in the middle of next year. If I am happy with my work to the point where I go you know what, I'm feeling really confident with the set work, I really want to show this to someone and cap off my RAD journey - then I will do the exam

That sounds like a very wise approach

• 4 months later...

I’m doing grade 6 at some point. My teacher has said this summer, but we will see. There feels like an awful lot to learn and I’ve never done character before, so it’s slow going. We’ve been working on the syllabus since September.

@EverHopeful how are you finding preparation for IF? I did it last summer and found it hard work. 

• Like 4

We have been planning to do IF for ages but things keep getting in the way! We are going to do a recorded one so it is just a matter of setting it up and going for it - hopefully will do soon. Doing a final polish at the moment so fingers crossed! Good luck both of you with your exams!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Colman said:

First part of Discovering Rep in May apparently. 

Anyone done those exams? How did your teacher break them down? Separate sessions for each?

I've literally started Discovering Rep a few weeks back so also interested to know how it works for exams. I understand they are modular so guessing you do one bit at a time but good to hear from people that have done it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, very new to this forum (or any forum for that matter) so apologies in advance for a possibly unconventional post.

I see a lot of adults have gone in and done RAD ballet exams, which is great as I have been considering taking an exam for the past year.  Most of the ballet schools in my area that I am aware of only teach children for RAD. Some will offer the occasional Adult Intermediate open class but their website does not indicate offering RAD classes (or exams) to adults.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to find a school that would be willing to take me in to do an RAD exam?

I am based in Surrey, and can't travel too far due to work commitments (and a family!).

Thanks much for your help.

• Like 3

It’s quite hard to find RAD classes where adults can do exams out of London. It also depends which RAD exam you were thinking of taking. 
If there’s any chance you live near enough to Battersea to get to RAD Headquarters the adult classes there will allow you to take exams. 
If you are at Intermediate level or above you might be able to join the older teenagers at this level in a local ballet school. 
There is quite a lot of adult ballet going on in Surrey especially around the Woking area but not so many classes geared to exams etc. 

Many thanks for the responses to my query, much appreciated.

I am relatively close to Sutton, which is where I’d take a train if I want to get to London quick, but still find London too far for regular classes.

I am hoping to do Intermediate Foundation, but I guess that is for the teacher to advise if I am at the standard required. 

Assuming I am up to scratch for this exam, would local ballet schools let me join the children’s classes at this level, given I’ll probably be a generation or two older?

Thanks again for your help!

9 hours ago, Chonavb said:

I am relatively close to Sutton, which is where I’d take a train if I want to get to London quick, but still find London too far for regular classes.

I am hoping to do Intermediate Foundation, but I guess that is for the teacher to advise if I am at the standard required. 

Assuming I am up to scratch for this exam, would local ballet schools let me join the children’s classes at this level, given I’ll probably be a generation or two older?

In my experience, different schools have different opinions on this and some are very inclusive so best to speak to each one near you to ask about it. I am 49 and am in an Intermediate Foundation class with girls around 14 years old. It has never been a problem and my school and teacher are very happy for me to be there but not every school is this open. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, NeverTooOld said:

In my experience, different schools have different opinions on this and some are very inclusive so best to speak to each one near you to ask about it. I am 49 and am in an Intermediate Foundation class with girls around 14 years old. It has never been a problem and my school and teacher are very happy for me to be there but not every school is this open. Hope this helps.

Fantastic!  You've given me hope, thank you.  I will start asking around.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chonavb said:

I've sent you a DM!

I do my grade 6 class with a 16 year old and a 20 year old and I’m 47. It’s a case of making your desire to do exams known upfront and dancing at a studio that can facilitate that. Last year I did my intermediate foundation via private lessons and a once weekly class at RADHQ. Like you I have family commitments and initially couldn’t think about going to London for class, but I found that since I’d not danced as a child intermediate foundation needed more than my once weekly private lesson so I did a term at RAD HQ doing one class a week on a Weds night coming up to the exam. Since the class was an evening one (1940-2110) hubby was back from work and was with the kids. I’d highly reccomend that Weds night class - the teacher is Alex Simpkins and he is really next level. Even if you can only get into London for class once a week for a term coming up to the exam it is so worth it. 

• Like 5

Alex Simpkins is my teacher at the City Lit! I really love his classes he has a nice balance between technique and artistry though exam classes may be different of course! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Alex Simpkins is my teacher at the City Lit! I really love his classes he has a nice balance between technique and artistry though exam classes may be different of course! 

Lucky you Linn I really liked the way he taught. Yes in the RAD intermediate foundation class he really focused on dynamics and musical  interpretation as well as being very thorough about technique. I felt like I wish I’d have been able to get to his class for more than one term as he was such a great teacher - he wasn’t trying to be everyone’s mate and was quite strict with us about technique which was a real gift. We had a really great live pianist at RAD too his name was Jeremy. 

• Like 5

On 21/02/2024 at 15:00, Angela Essex said:

I do my grade 6 class with a 16 year old and a 20 year old and I’m 47. It’s a case of making your desire to do exams known upfront and dancing at a studio that can facilitate that. Last year I did my intermediate foundation via private lessons and a once weekly class at RADHQ. Like you I have family commitments and initially couldn’t think about going to London for class, but I found that since I’d not danced as a child intermediate foundation needed more than my once weekly private lesson so I did a term at RAD HQ doing one class a week on a Weds night coming up to the exam. Since the class was an evening one (1940-2110) hubby was back from work and was with the kids. I’d highly reccomend that Weds night class - the teacher is Alex Simpkins and he is really next level. Even if you can only get into London for class once a week for a term coming up to the exam it is so worth it. 

Sounds like adults in RAD Graded/Vocational classes are more prevalent than I surmised.  Thank you for the insight, I'm accumulating the courage to try it with each narrative of people's experiences. Once a week in RAD HQ leading up to an exam is convincing and I will give it serious thought.  Just need my hubby to agree to the idea :). Thanks again for your help.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My DD did an intensive IF course before her exam at the rad HQ, five Sundays in a row. Quite a few adults on the course. Next intensive is over the summer. Good luck all, it's wonderful that you're all dancing. I've got two left feet and can only manage a plié

Edited by HopelessMummy
Typo
  • Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 12:31, WhensMyDayOff said:

I've sent you a DM!I had issues whereby my local school were sadly not supportive. And the galling thing was the only other one up for Inter at the time was I think 19 or 20 so hardly a child with safe guarding an issue… she did however have a rather interfering mother who clearly disliked me & I suspect swayed the teacher to make me unwelcome for this. Truly sad & wrong I’m so many ways. And I’m not in any way a threatening or bitchy person to have in class - honest! 5 years on I’m still saddened…. But I quite by chance found another teacher/school with one other adult wanting to take Inter too! And 3 months we take the exam at RAD HQ!! Probs a bit rushed as had to fit around the other dancers timeframe - only a few weeks in pointe shoes after 30 years was perhaps a little ambitious….!! Allow me an ego trip now…. I got a high merit - same as the seriously dancing girl from my usual school so HA! What’s ironic is they are now training to be a teacher so I truly hope they reflect back on how I was treated & learn to stand up for fairness & not be bullied by aggressive pushy parents!! Just to say, I don’t think they would’ve minded me in the class….just was the mother I’m pretty sure….

It was not sustainable to carry on with high level classes as nine at local school & the 3 months travelling 25 miles between school runs twice a week did cause much family conflict….but, I did my RAD Inter aged 50 & am proud of that. But deeply sad to say since I’ve sunk back down to a very recreational once a week dancer & have had some injury/falling to pieces issues making a grande plié a thing if the past…. I do muse on to think had I not just pretty much stopped (with Covid exacerbating this) but gone on to a regular Adv F class (has I been able to find one anywhere) then I might now be on Adv 1 or 2!!! A girl can but dream…. 
Good luck to all those still pursuing the feeling of achievement working towards & then taking an exam does give you! Enjoy!

(I’m sorry if I sound a bit self pitying….I am as I miss it all so much 😢

Guess what I’m really trying to say to any dancer of any age, is don’t let others put you off & if one option says no, you will find another so GO FOR IT! 

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 2

On 06/03/2024 at 22:14, Peanut68 said:

It was not sustainable to carry on with high level classes as nine at local school & the 3 months travelling 25 miles between school runs twice a week did cause much family conflict….but, I did my RAD Inter aged 50 & am proud of that. But deeply sad to say since I’ve sunk back down to a very recreational once a week dancer & have had some injury/falling to pieces issues making a grande plié a thing if the past…. I do muse on to think had I not just pretty much stopped (with Covid exacerbating this) but gone on to a regular Adv F class (has I been able to find one anywhere) then I might now be on Adv 1 or 2!!! A girl can but dream…. 
Good luck to all those still pursuing the feeling of achievement working towards & then taking an exam does give you! Enjoy!

(I’m sorry if I sound a bit self pitying….I am as I miss it all so much 😢

Guess what I’m really trying to say to any dancer of any age, is don’t let others put you off & if one option says no, you will find another so GO FOR IT! 

Thanks for the encouragement Peanut and congratulations on doing your intermediate exam. I’m 48 and just started doing the intermediate pointe alongside grade 6 so I will be a similar age to you once I get good enough to sit the intermediate exam. The intermediate pointe is very hard - what a fabulous achievement for you that you’ve done it. So sorry to hear of your injuries - do you think you can rehab from them and start doing more classes when they heal? I hope that is the case and that you can go on to your advanced foundation in the future? 

• Thanks 1

My inter at 50 was a sort of ‘Bucket List’ wish list to do…. Maybe I could make Adv F a goal for 60 😂

I reality think that could only be possible if moved less rural &/or could find & afford a teacher for private lessons….

Good luck with your Inter too! 
I loved the Inter pointe work (esp. the barré exercises!) & really wish I’d had longer prep time & had kept it up! 
In reality were I ever to do another exam it’s more likely to be grades 6 & onwards as no pointe & I hear nothing ce & dancey but never really seen syllabus. Again, nothing near where I live though 

• Like 1

I was 62 when I returned to ballet in Brighton after a 21 year gap! 
I joined a grade 5 class to warm up on with initially the idea of actually doing the grade 6 exam once I joined that class. But my old love of performing returned and in the end joined a performance group up in London rather than continue with pursuing the exam route. 
Then in my 60’s started classes again with an old teacher in London from 30 or so years ago!! So full circle. 
I didnt mind still doing an odd syllabus class though even if didnt want to take the exam but in the end it’s time often deciding choices as you can’t keep up everything! 
But if you can recover from your injury Peanut 68 then it’s definitely possible to do the next exam when you are 60 though I think pointework is more difficult at this age and very glad to give it up!!  Taking the grades 6 and 7 exams should defo be an option though. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, just wondering how you are all getting on with your exam preparation? Hopefully some kind person on here is able to advise me - Is anyone aware of a dance school local to Essex or London that will train adults with multiple RAD classes every week? Currently my schedule is 1 x RAD grade 6 class and 2 x adult beginner's drop in classes locally. I also do 2 x 45 mins weights/kettlebells classes at Pure Gym. Problem is I am not receiving any personalised corrections except in my RAD Grade 6 class and I am getting really fed up with going to adult ballet drop in classes and not progressing my technique. I have tried to attend pineapple classes online, but it’s not the same as in person. I suppose what I’m looking for is one school where I can take class 3 x a week and get trained properly. If anyone knows a place where this exists in the south of England ideally somewhere commutable to South Essex I’d be grateful for any information. I started ballet as an adult almost 4 years ago now and would really like to progress my technique. Thank you all in advance. 

Edited by Angela Essex
  • Like 1

Might be worth contacting Vyne Academy in Berkhamsted might be able to help perhaps? 
It’s on very good train links & easy to get to from M25 & this Essex 

https://vynearts.co.uk/vyne-academy/

I believe they teach adults at high levels & maybe could create a programme for you - good luck! Think they may also do occasional adult intensive short courses too.
Sadly I am too far away to go there myself….but seen & heard good things! 

I too share your frustration over lack of personalised corrections that is often the case in adult drop-in classes. 
I think it’s down to a few things… not scaring off the customers (it is a useful revenue stream for teachers), partly ensuring everything stays upbeat, body positive etc & avoiding any possible conflict or things that could be misconstrued as criticism or body shaming or that may trigger anyone’s underlying issues of lack of confidence/former unhappy dance experiences etc. 

Adult drop in lessons should at their core be about fun & fitness I guess & it’s a careful line for teachers to follow to ensure this for all participants & to take into account range of of ages, abilities, experience, fitness levels & underlying health conditions. 
The only way I found to get personalised corrections/training in lead up to an exam was to have a few weeks in advance of exam with lessons for just the 2 of us adults taking exam. We were fortunate in that it was the teacher’s first year of entering students so she was happy to facilitate this & only charge us regular class rate. I think more teachers could push adults to fulfil their dreams to improve, progress & gain that feeling of achievement an exam can bring. I think it really could be a way that dance schools  could add to their offering & income stream & also help in retention of dancers as there does seem to be that drop out of dance in the teen years. 
Since all I’ve been able to do locally has been 1-2 adult drop in my levels have plummeted & it makes me very sad 😢 

A former adult teacher felt confident enough of the class to advice the few of us who could manage things more advanced to say we did it in Demi-pointe or did doubles or raised legs to 90 degrees etc etc. No one else took offence but or felt it wasn’t fair or favouritism but I partly suspect that the new teacher quite possibly worries about this so we all just follow on. I do still enjoy the classes but I worry the ‘use it or lose it’ is all too true….I’m not motivated enough to rent myself a hall to work alone - at the core of any dance I do is just wanting that joy that working hard in a ballet class brings me….I just love the feeling when technique just works, when the music inspires a natural flow for emotion & artistry & the great camaraderie within the class when every dancer is loving it! 
🥰

• Like 5

I think it's difficult sometimes getting corrections.  I take classes at Northern Ballet now I'm in Yorkshire and the teacher is really great.  She said at the start of term for us to let her know if we wanted personal corrections or not as apparently some people in some classes find it offputting and don't want to be corrected.  I said I definitely do as my view is that I'm there to learn so she corrects me plenty of times. 

I agree it's important that they're not critical of peoples' bodies (I mean in my class we're mostly middle aged women and not teengers with perfect bodies) but focus on what we can improve (in my case remembering to close behind).  

Edited by Tango Dancer
  • Like 3