Taking Ballet Exams as an adult

JCS

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

My DDs dance school took RAD exams recently. The results were back within a few days! Never known them so quick!

Did she work with a tablet rather than paper forms?  Perhaps that's why? If so that's good news for us too!   It took a couple of months last year!

You’ll be fine four months away!! Even if you do end up doing the variations in your sleep lol! In fact I’ve heard if you listen to a tape and fall asleep it does stay in your short term memory for the next 24 hours or so. So you could make a recording of you saying the steps and fall asleep to it!!! 

• Like 1

Hi all. I’ve lurked on this thread a bit and maybe comment once or twice a good few years ago but I’m taking my RAD Adv1 very very soon!! I’m happy with my work overall but double pirouettes are hit and miss and will either go right on the day or not. No matter how much I’ve practised I just don’t seem to be able to get them consistent to be confident! So I’m half looking forward and half dreading it!!! 

• Like 4

Even when I could do two pirouettes when younger I never managed them that consistently. It’s so annoying! One day everything perfect and on balance and another day just much more untidy and too much falling about lol! 
I could never work out why I couldn’t just do two perfectly all the time. 
I’ve always been better when they were part of an enchainement with other steps in rather than just doing pirouettes across the room or as an exercise one pirouette after the other. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Even when I could do two pirouettes when younger I never managed them that consistently. It’s so annoying! One day everything perfect and on balance and another day just much more untidy and too much falling about lol! 
I could never work out why I couldn’t just do two perfectly all the time. 
I’ve always been better when they were part of an enchainement with other steps in rather than just doing pirouettes across the room or as an exercise one pirouette after the other. 

It’s so frustrating isn’t it. I’ve tried every trick in the book. The only thing that marginally works (but not all the time) is counting 2,1 each time … never 1,2!!!

If I practice at home on their own they never work and what’s frustrating is that I have pretty good balance in relevé. I think I panic and tense up! 

Still a few more lessons left to have another go and hopefully I’ll feel more confident. 🤞

• Like 3

8 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

Wishing you lots of luck @Workhard_Dreambig 

lots of you here doing vocational exams, and here I am worrying about my grade 7! 
how amazing that we all have these goals to work towards though 

Thank you! 

I’ve heard grade 7 is lovely. I don’t think it matters whether your exam is a grade or vocational, as adults to be doing exams at all is absolutely brilliant. I live working towards a goal. 

• Like 3

@Workhard_Dreambigwishing all the best with your exam. I’m planning on taking my advanced foundation, wasn’t quite brave enough to jump to advanced 1! My pointe work is my weakness. Only thing that’s ever helped me with pirouettes is squeezing the arms in and although it doesn’t look the best, I get round!! (Most times 🙈) look forward to hearing how it went 💫 

12 hours ago, Workhard_Dreambig said:

I love pointe work. It’s my favourite part of the exam, and adage.

13 hours ago, Workhard_Dreambig said:

If I practice at home on their own they never work and what’s frustrating is that I have pretty good balance in relevé. I think I panic and tense up! 

I could have written this! Are you, perchance, quite tall as well?

21 hours ago, LinMM said:

The same - especially enchainments where there's no time to think. I used to find the most consistent doubles I had were where I aimed for a single on a good floor and then just let myself go round another time. But... I've landed nice triples on a handful of occasions, and there's just not enough force from my previous method to get round that extra time. (I'm really not a turner though; on bad days, even my singles are sloppy.)

22 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

Are you skipping Advanced Foundation then @Meetmeatthebarre

I am, part of it is history (I was probably more exam-ready a year ago than I was when I took it for various life reasons) and had already taken a term of Adv 1 which followed on from the Inter class I took. A related reason is timetabling. But a main reason is that I'm quite a nervy dancer - my weakness is transitions or losing technique because I panic, rather than lacking the technique to tackle steps in isolation. So I think I'd get a better end result by spending double the time on Adv 1, than AF and then Adv 1, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

@Meetmeatthebarre I’m the opposite of tall 😂

I haven’t done Adv foundation either.. I wonder if that would have helped my pirouettes 😁

I feel as though I’ve slacked off this week as haven’t done anything since Friday and only got a couple more sessions left butI was getting to the point where I was making silly mistakes and was tiring quicker rather than building up stamina (although that could have been due to being under the weather) so I’m hoping it’s worked in my favour and a rest has left me feeling a bit fresher. 

• Like 1

Here is my input on double pirouettes.  I have noticed that those of my students who manage really good consistent doubles are perfectly calm about it.  When you're tense pirouettes just don't  work, because you lose coordination.  Everything has to work together smoothly.  The preparation is really important - although you're  standing in 4th and there has to be weight on the back foot for the push off, you need to hold the pelvis slightly more onto the front foot,  so that you don't  have to move your weight onto the front foot as you start the turn.  That will throw you off every time.  The side arm closing swiftly into 1st will help with the impetus and most important of course is the head.  The head mustn't tilt as you use it. The head is very heavy and if you don't hold it straight, it will throw your balance off.  I tend to teach not to leave the head and turn it round at the last minute, but to leave it briefly and then swiftly bring the head round back to your point of focus and immediately again for the second turn.   Hope some of that will help you all - I think you're amazing!   

To those doing exams where there is a free enchainement make sure you work on that too. It comes between Allegro 2 and 3.  There isn't  one in Advanced 1, but there is in all the other vocationals.  They are very tricky,  because it's 8 counts four times through and it's  not enough to know the vocabulary, you are given points also for quality, musicality and technique!  If your teachers haven't  already done so ask them for a list of the vocabulary. You can also google RAD Free enchainement on You tube and there are helpful videos for both the IF and Intermediate vocabulary.  I haven't  seen one for Advanced Foundation.

Good luck to you all!  You are welcome to pm me if you need some specific help on some exercise.  Always happy to help!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

When I’ve watched Professional classes I always pay close attention to how the dancers are performing their pirouettes. I often see what looks like a slight throw of the arm in the direction turning towards just before bringing in the other arm to 1st position. This could be some sort of illusion but would love to see in slow motion!! 
I do find really keeping the shoulders down does help a lot as everything feels more solid but I agree if one can keep that sense of panic out of the equation that helps enormously too. 
It’s strange there are all sorts of other turns that I still really enjoy…pose turns, chainees etc but pirouettes are the turn I least like especially when turning from 5th rather than 4th 😳!!!

Yes LinMM - you are correct.  The problem is that students will often open that front arm too much and then you lose momentum and balance.  However, if you open it just a controlled amount before whipping both arms in to 1st it really does help!  Good point!   Lynn Wallis told us not to do it, but that was some years ago.  I tend to avoid teaching it, just let my students do it if they want.  However it definitely helps in getting a good pirouette and I wreckon that's what is important here!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 1

Strangely, I find turning from 5th easier (en dehors, haven’t tried it en dedans). 
Also interestingly, I can sometimes manage doubles en dehors but have never managed it en dedans, despite my en dedans being much more secure and controlled in singles!

2 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

Strangely, I find turning from 5th easier (en dehors, haven’t tried it en dedans). 
Also interestingly, I can sometimes manage doubles en dehors but have never managed it en dedans, despite my en dedans being much more secure and controlled in singles!

Doubles en dedans from 5th are really hard, because you can't get much impetus, but from 4th on a lunge, there could be two things that are stopping you.  One is when you make the lunge too small, so you don't get enough push from the back foot.  That usually goes along with sticking your tail out so that the pelvis is not in the right position.  The weight needs to be over the front leg, so that you go straight up on the front leg, rather than having to bring the weight forward as you start the pirouette.  The second thing is that students tend to twist away from the front leg thinking that that will give them more force - unfortunately it doesn't!   It just throws them off balance.  Make sure you start square with hips and shoulders aligned, open the front arm carefully, before whipping both arms to 1st. Spot to the front and keep lifting the torso up on the supporting leg. You can practise without the turn, just pulling up on the front leg to check that your weight is over the front leg.  It's more of a pull up than a relevé, because doing a proper relevé with the foot displacement stops the turn.  I sometimes tell my students to do a little cheat to get them started, if they can't get the second turn in. I tell them to do a little hop up in the middle and it usually works if they are on balance.  The reason it helps is that it makes them pull up more as they do the second turn!  Often as we get to the second turn, we sink a bit - an extra pull-up stops that. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s particularly nice when watching the men in Professional classes just turning four or five perfect pirouettes easily and finishing when they want to…such control!  One can just sigh……

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It’s particularly nice when watching the men in Professional classes just turning four or five perfect pirouettes easily and finishing when they want to…such control!  One can just sigh……

I know exactly what you mean.  However many times I tell my students that a pirouette finishes up in retiré position before closing, it doesn't help!   I want to know what the teachers actually said or did to help the dancers have such amazing control?

• Like 2

@Dance*is*life after some experimenting, I’ve come to the conclusion that my problem with en dedans doubles is definitely sticking my bum out! Or rather not keeping my pelvis in the correct alignment. 
With en dehors I think I throw my weight quite far back. That does get me round, but in an unpredictable way!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...