Taking Ballet Exams as an adult

JCS

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 31/03/2023 at 14:28, LinMM said:

It’s particularly nice when watching the men in Professional classes just turning four or five perfect pirouettes easily and finishing when they want to…such control!  One can just sigh……

Oooh I love it when I see dancers do that - I wish I could do even one pirouette like that. If I could I’d die happy 😂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

You should definitely do that if it’s something you want @balletfanatic, I think it’s a great idea! 

I agree. @balletfanatic you should definitely do them if you can. I failed my (what was then) RAD Elementary at 17, so re took it about 5 years ago (now intermediate) and passed with a merit. I’ve just taken advanced 1 and anxiously awaiting the results 😁 … I’m in my mid 40s

• Like 6

I am 48 and doing RAD grade 7 and intermediate foundation. I love hearing about all of your experiences as it is very inspiring. I would love to get to advanced 2 one day but I realise that I am racing against the clock as it looks incredibly difficult but I like to aim high! Also, I have had a history of back problems and recently diagnosed heart conditions so I do get out of breath a bit quicker than I used to but still going to see how far I can get!

7 minutes ago, balletfanatic said:

Good luck for your advanced 1 results. That's a massive achievement. 

My problem is finding somewhere to teach adults grades 6 and 7. I'm not willing to learn with teenagers!

I learn with teens as there were not enough adults to keep the adult class going and also, not many adults seem to want to do exams. The teens have all been great though and just accept me as another member of the class so don't right it off as an idea straight away! :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, balletfanatic said:

My problem is finding somewhere to teach adults grades 6 and 7. I'm not willing to learn with teenagers!

Thank you. It definitely took me a while to get comfortable dancing with teenagers. Trouble is they’re getting younger as I’m getting older! 😂

• Like 4

On 19/04/2023 at 15:32, NeverTooOld said:

I am 48 and doing RAD grade 7 and intermediate foundation. I love hearing about all of your experiences as it is very inspiring. I would love to get to advanced 2 one day but I realise that I am racing against the clock as it looks incredibly difficult but I like to aim high! Also, I have had a history of back problems and recently diagnosed heart conditions so I do get out of breath a bit quicker than I used to but still going to see how far I can get!

On 19/04/2023 at 15:23, balletfanatic said:

Expand  

I learn with teens as there were not enough adults to keep the adult class going and also, not many adults seem to want to do exams. The teens have all been great though and just accept me as another member of the class so don't right it off as an idea straight away! :)

Be wary - not necessarily of the teens themselves - but sometimes their rather sniffy dance moms…. I was - I’m pretty sure - denied doing my RAD inter (aged 50) with a class of older teens/early 20’s at my usual school & am sure it was all down to one mum who just has never liked me & completely blanks me no matter how hard I try to be friendly & nice to both her & her offspring…

I luckily found another school with a 30something wanting to take her exam too & 1 week later the entry was in & 3 months later we took our exam at RAD HQ!

(And just as an aside… I think I actually took exam sooner than the offspring of the mean mum & we both achieved merits, so I clearly would not have ‘held’ them back at all!) 

I do say GO FOR IT to any adult dancer who would like the challenge of taking an exam….I wish I’d had the guts to explore the idea of taking exams much earlier (I returned to ballet in my 40’s) & sadly think further ones now out of question after 3 years with minimal dance…..but you never know 😘 Ever the optimist! 
Good luck all!

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 7

On 19/04/2023 at 15:32, NeverTooOld said:

@NeverTooOld how’s your exam prep going? I’m 47 and doing int foundation on 15th July. It’d be great to hear how you’re getting on.

I’ve managed to find a hall that I can use at the local arts centre to practice one morning a week as I was getting annoyed always having to dodge the furniture practicing at home.

How does everyone get their practice done? I only have 1 syllabus lesson a week plus 2 adult ballet classes (non syllabus at beginner/intermediate level). I did get invited to do a try out to join the RAD adult int foundation class sadly but had to decline due to timings and family commitments. I’m considering dropping one of my other non syllabus classes and joining the rad one instead, but by the time I factor in travel to the rad in battersea from Essex and the class fees I’d probably be better off just getting a weekly private lesson locally. I’d be grateful if anyone has any thoughts on this? 😊🙏

In other news my Achilles tendinitis is flaring up. My teacher is focusing on allegros 1, 2 & 3, pointe and variation 1 and so my dud Achilles is taking a beating 😭

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

@NeverTooOld how’s your exam prep going? I’m 47 and doing int foundation on 15th July. It’d be great to hear how you’re getting on.

I’ve managed to find a hall that I can use at the local arts centre to practice one morning a week as I was getting annoyed always having to dodge the furniture practicing at home.

How does everyone get their practice done? I only have 1 syllabus lesson a week plus 2 adult ballet classes (non syllabus at beginner/intermediate level). I did get invited to do a try out to join the RAD adult int foundation class sadly but had to decline due to timings and family commitments. I’m considering dropping one of my other non syllabus classes and joining the rad one instead, but by the time I factor in travel to the rad in battersea from Essex and the class fees I’d probably be better off just getting a weekly private lesson locally. I’d be grateful if anyone has any thoughts on this? 😊🙏

In other news my Achilles tendinitis is flaring up. My teacher is focusing on allegros 1, 2 & 3, pointe and variation 1 and so my dud Achilles is taking a beating 😭

Be really careful with the tendinitis. I had that last summer and could barely walk for several weeks. It only healed with a lot of rest and ice and exercises. I know people on crutches or having ops because of it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Be wary - not necessarily of the teens themselves - but sometimes their rather sniffy dance moms…. I was - I’m pretty sure - denied doing my RAD inter (aged 50) with a class of older teens/early 20’s at my usual school & am sure it was all down to one mum who just has never liked me & completely blanks me no matter how hard I try to be friendly & nice to both her & her offspring…

I luckily found another school with a 30something wanting to take her exam too & 1 week later the entry was in & 3 months later we took our exam at RAD HQ!

(And just as an aside… I think I actually took exam sooner than the offspring of the mean mum & we both achieved merits, so I clearly would not have ‘held’ them back at all!) 

I do say GO FOR IT to any adult dancer who would like the challenge of taking an exam….I wish I’d had the guts to explore the idea of taking exams much earlier (I returned to ballet in my 40’s) & sadly think further ones now out of question after 3 years with minimal dance…..but you never know 😘 Ever the optimist! 
Good luck all!

Thanks. I've been lucky so far in that the Mums in our school have been very supportive. I've had odd looks from other Mums though elsewhere when I've mentioned that I do ballet! Well done on getting a merit at inter - I've done a bit of that syllabus and it is quite a jump up from IF! Great result :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

I feel like I'm pretty much there with most of the syllabus, just struggling with echappes en pointe in the centre - mental block mainly! I'd like to do my exam this summer too but we also have a show coming up so just working out if we can actually be ready by then. I agree it is hard to fit in enough practise along with working, family and costs! A private lesson can be good as it is really focused on you and you can work on exactly what you need to work on. Good luck and hope your tendinitis gets sorted out :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, balletfanatic said:

Be really careful with the tendinitis. I had that last summer and could barely walk for several weeks. It only healed with a lot of rest and ice and exercises. I know people on crutches or having ops because of it. 

Thanks for the heads up @balletfanatic it’s not too bad at the moment and I’ve seen a physio about it who said it’s due to me overusing my calves as my core, thighs and glutes are weak. I was doing weights to strengthen core, glutes and legs but I’ve not done my exercises for a few weeks now - time for me to stop being lazy and get my weight training happening again I think. 

What exercises did you have to do for it? 

• Like 2

I’ve had no problems at all training in syllabus classes with teenagers. It’s a bit daunting walking in there the first time to a new class / at a new school, but as soon as they see how passionate you are about learning the syllabus just like they are, they just accept you as another member of the class. Or that’s what I’ve found in my experience so far anyway. I find teenagers these days are much more accepting and tolerant than they were when I was one myself. 
For me, the important thing is ballet and working towards exams. I’ll do whatever it takes to continue with that, even if there are some challenges along the way. 
As for the parents of the children I go to classes with, I’ve had many of them praise me for my “bravery” and “dedication”. I think more would love to give it a go too, but perhaps lack the confidence to do so. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Thanks for the heads up @balletfanatic it’s not too bad at the moment and I’ve seen a physio about it who said it’s due to me overusing my calves as my core, thighs and glutes are weak. I was doing weights to strengthen core, glutes and legs but I’ve not done my exercises for a few weeks now - time for me to stop being lazy and get my weight training happening again I think. 

What exercises did you have to do for it? 

I had to do heel drops and stand with my leg out behind me and bend my knee.  Hope you recover quickly 

• Thanks 1

On 22/04/2023 at 15:49, EverHopeful said:

As for the parents of the children I go to classes with, I’ve had many of them praise me for my “bravery” and “dedication”. I think more would love to give it a go too, but perhaps lack the confidence to do so. 

I've had the same!

• Like 3

I was in my 60s while taking Inter and Higher Grades, up to last December when I passed Grade 8. I'm 70 now and not actively preparing for anything although Discovering Repertoire will probably be the next thing. I do really like the structure and pressure of exam preparation.

Like others, I've found teens pleasant and supportive and those parents who were aware of me were admiring if anything. Teachers have always been very supportive and said that adults are very motivated and seem to be better at applying correction than the teens. I'm aware that I will never get the marks I dream of but I have got a few marks higher with each exam I've taken.

I have done the larger part of exam prep in private or semi-private lessons which gave me more individual attention. I'm fully aware that technical improvement is slow and painful (literally - I take quite a lot of ibuprofen) but it is still happening - I know that hard work is paying off. Jumps are decidedly unspectacular, I don't get on well with forward bends or kneeling down and extensions very, very low but it's generally agreed that I have very good posture, beautiful arms, good musicality and expression. I have some arthritis, often painful feet and when I've had injuries they have been slow and stubborn to recover from. I've found stamina pretty hard to regain after the COVID hiatus. Grade 8 took a heck of a lot of puff! My teacher requested longer than usual rests as a reasonable adjustment.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The_Red_Shoes said:

I was in my 60s while taking Inter and Higher Grades, up to last December when I passed Grade 8. I'm 70 now and not actively preparing for anything although Discovering Repertoire will probably be the next thing. I do really like the structure and pressure of exam preparation.

Like others, I've found teens pleasant and supportive and those parents who were aware of me were admiring if anything. Teachers have always been very supportive and said that adults are very motivated and seem to be better at applying correction than the teens. I'm aware that I will never get the marks I dream of but I have got a few marks higher with each exam I've taken.

I have done the larger part of exam prep in private or semi-private lessons which gave me more individual attention. I'm fully aware that technical improvement is slow and painful (literally - I take quite a lot of ibuprofen) but it is still happening - I know that hard work is paying off. Jumps are decidedly unspectacular, I don't get on well with forward bends or kneeling down and extensions very, very low but it's generally agreed that I have very good posture, beautiful arms, good musicality and expression. I have some arthritis, often painful feet and when I've had injuries they have been slow and stubborn to recover from. I've found stamina pretty hard to regain after the COVID hiatus. Grade 8 took a heck of a lot of puff! My teacher requested longer than usual rests as a reasonable adjustment.

@The_Red_Shoes I think it’s such a fabulous achievement to have done grade 8 in your 60s - you’re an inspiration. I can identify with being out of puff though - I’m 47 and good lord intermediate foundation is taking a lot of stamina - I’m sweating by the end of the plies, tired by the end of barre, a little jelly legged for centre practice and then literally dead after allegro 1, with allegros 2 & 3 finishing me off. By the time I put my pointe shoes on it’s a miracle I manage to hold myself up in the centre 🤣

In other news I’ve got a trial class at RAD HQ in Battersea tomorrow evening to hopefully be allowed to join their intermediate foundation adult class so keeping my fingers crossed it goes okay and they allow me to join. I’m very nervous about it. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, The_Red_Shoes said:

I agree with @Angela Essex - you are very inspirational, thanks for sharing your journey. Really interested that longer rests are an option too. My heart condition means that I am not meant to let my heart rate get too high so it is good to know that I should be able to get a little bit of time to get my breath back!

• Like 2

On 18/04/2023 at 12:37, EverHopeful said:

@cavycapers I’m not in my 60s but always love to chat about ballet grades and exams. Which one(s) are you working on?

Hiya, we persuaded our teacher to let us do RAD grades as an adult.  She started us at Grade 3 as being most appropriate for adults.  I started ballet about eight years ago and didn't do it as a child, but always wished I had.  I got my Garde 3 before lockdown and my Grade 4 in January this year.  We're now on to Grade 6 (missing Grade 5, as there are beginner adults in the class who would find it too difficult). The examiners have been fantastic about it.  I did Grade 4 exam with another lady, and the examiner, who had seen children and teens all day, said it was a lovely way to end the day 🥳. My jumps are low, my extensions are rubbish, but she scored me highly on performance and musicality.  I guess that there are some gains as you get older. 😁

• Like 5

On 18/04/2023 at 13:56, balletfanatic said:

I did up to grade 5 as a child then did grade 8 as an adult. I'm nearly 50 but did the exam a few years ago. I would have loved to do all the exams as a child but they only went up to grade 5 at that stage. I often think about going back to do grade 6 and 7

Do it!!!! 😁

• Like 2

On 19/04/2023 at 15:23, balletfanatic said:

I learnt grades 3 and 4 in a beginner's adult class, so had to go to some teen classes to learn the harder elements.  They barely noticed me....😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cavycapers said:

Hiya, we persuaded our teacher to let us do RAD grades as an adult.  She started us at Grade 3 as being most appropriate for adults.  I started ballet about eight years ago and didn't do it as a child, but always wished I had.  I got my Garde 3 before lockdown and my Grade 4 in January this year.  We're now on to Grade 6 (missing Grade 5, as there are beginner adults in the class who would find it too difficult). The examiners have been fantastic about it.  I did Grade 4 exam with another lady, and the examiner, who had seen children and teens all day, said it was a lovely way to end the day 🥳. My jumps are low, my extensions are rubbish, but she scored me highly on performance and musicality.  I guess that there are some gains as you get older. 😁

I’m the same - jumps underwhelming and extensions less than 90 degrees but teacher has said I should get good marks for musicality and performance. Good luck with your grade 6 - do let us know how you’re getting on 😊

Wow, Red Shoes, that's amazing!  I have fibromyalgia and arthritis, but find that ballet is the one exercise that doesn't hurt (well it does a bit afterwards!) Yoga kills me!  But like you, my exam marks are good in the performance and musicality even if the technique is not so high, and as you get to the higher grades, these attributes become even more important.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

I’m the same - jumps underwhelming and extensions less than 90 degrees but teacher has said I should get good marks for musicality and performance. Good luck with your grade 6 - do let us know how you’re getting on 😊

Will do! 😃

• Like 1