Taking Ballet Exams as an adult

JCS

I will take up Silver Swans probably at some point in the future but for now I'm continuing with regular classes. I don't do plie in 4th, avoid anything that involves kneeling (but had to manage somehow in various exams) and, alas, favourite grand Allegro jumps like grand jete en tournant, fouette and saut de Basque are no longer in my repertoire. Yes, it's landing on one leg that just feels too risky when combined with a turn. I'm still fine with pirouettes but it's slow adage type things I struggle with as my balance is absolute rubbish. I like nice dancey enchainments with plenty of pas de valse!

My mock exam went pretty well with comment on my musicality and expression, which is just as well as that's where I'm hoping to pick up the marks.

• Like 2

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, I'm having trouble posting. My comment keeps disappearing. I hope this post doesn't eventually appear half a dozen times!

I was just trying to say: Angela, that sounds like a character cabriole (holubetz?) It appears frequently in higher grades. I usually just kick myself painfully and don't manage the required neat audible click.

• Like 2

On 20/11/2022 at 10:25, The_Red_Shoes said:

Strange, I'm having trouble posting. My comment keeps disappearing. I hope this post doesn't eventually appear half a dozen times!

I was just trying to say: Angela, that sounds like a character cabriole (holubetz?) It appears frequently in higher grades. I usually just kick myself painfully and don't manage the required neat audible click.

Thank you. It’s good to know what they’re called. I didn’t dance as a child but remember seeing someone doing these jumps in a film and clearly remember being able to do them multiple times side to side without a second thought.

Glad your mock went well. Good luck for 29th.

@Vivany news? Xx

Well Glowlight you would think so but I have osteopaenia and have had it for about 10 years now but to look at me you’d never guess as you tend to think of people with much smaller frames as suffering from thin bones!! 
Just recently the  doctor wanted me to go on some huge calcium supplement but I’ve rejected that however am taking extra calcium now but in a smaller dose than recommended and combined with magnesium and vit D and in citrate form for easier absorption. I absolutely know my diet had sufficient calcium before so couldn’t see the point of taking huge amounts if my body is already not sending it to the bones properly for whatever reason!! 
On a very recent Dexta scan ( last one was 6 years ago) my left hip level score had gone up but spine level was down so perhaps the ballet has been doing some good!! I haven’t quite reached osteoporosis level of thin-ness yet though but probably better to avoid falling over so a bit of a catch 22 situation with ballet lol!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

@Vivany news? Xx

None yet, though the wait is starting to drive me a bit crazy. I thought the new iPad system was meant to speed things up?

Normally we get results between 1-15 December (in non-covid years) so I am hoping for the earlier side of that and trying not to get a bit frantic while we're still in November...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Viv said:

None yet, though the wait is starting to drive me a bit crazy. I thought the new iPad system was meant to speed things up?

Normally we get results between 1-15 December (in non-covid years) so I am hoping for the earlier side of that and trying not to get a bit frantic while we're still in November...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you 🤞

21 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

Have any of you done grades 1 and 2 as an adult? I’ve done higher ones but would like to complete the whole set one day. 

I did G2, not as an adult, but in my mid-teens, which at the time felt old for the syllabus. It still requires some hard work to prepare but you probably wouldn't need that much work if you have already done your exams in other grades, and the exam is short. At least back then, though, (I suspect this hasn't changed) the exercises felt 'childish' and I felt quite silly (though maybe that's just being a teen).

• Like 1