Taking Ballet Exams as an adult

JCS

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I failed my adv1. I’m absolutely gutted. I scored mostly 6s, a few 5s and a 4 for my allegro (I messed up on the day so was  pleased with that one) but for some reason that neither me or my teachers can understand, I was scored only a 3 for my variation technique so failed! Overall my score was a couple of marks away from a merit but I still failed. 

I’m absolutely gutted! 

Edited to add I scored 6 for variation performance which is extremely baffling that I can perform well in a dance that I am not deemed to have the required technical ability to dance! 

Edited by Workhard_Dreambig
To add more frustration!
  • Like 3

Oh that’s a shame Workhard_Dreambig 

Will you have another go? Only a few marks from passing so you could retake and aim high next time though I know it’s the thought of going over the syllabus yet again just at the moment which can be off putting! 
Have you done all the Grades? If not it could be an idea to carry on with Adv 1 but perhaps combine with a Grade 7 or 8 class? Or with one of the new RAD Rep courses? 

2 hours ago, Workhard_Dreambig said:

So I failed my adv1. I’m absolutely gutted. I scored mostly 6s, a few 5s and a 4 for my allegro (I messed up on the day so was  pleased with that one) but for some reason that neither me or my teachers can understand, I was scored only a 3 for my variation technique so failed! Overall my score was a couple of marks away from a merit but I still failed. 

I’m absolutely gutted! 

Edited to add I scored 6 for variation performance which is extremely baffling that I can perform well in a dance that I am not deemed to have the required technical ability to dance! 

Lots of students of all ages fail Adv 1 first time - not on overall marks but because they failed one section. I've known people fail on a section (usually pointe) and then do it again in a few months and get distinction. 

Which variation did you do? Could you look at whether the other one suits you better?

• Like 3

Thank you all. 

I won’t be re taking it unfortunately. There isn’t the opportunity to keep practising and there isn’t a viable exam session. I know I should have passed it and the variation shouldn’t have been a fail. I’ve re watched it and although it’s not perfect and there’s definitely bits I could do better I hit all the steps and directions. My lines are ok for the most part, I have control and I never fall off pointe, I’m quite secure. To have been deemed ‘limited ability to achieve the component assessed’ doesn’t feel quite right. As I say it wasn’t great but certainly adequate which would have been a 4 and a pass. 

I just need to chalk it up to a very disappointing result and keep telling myself that I was good enough to pass and 1 mark more and I’ve have been feeling very different this weekend. 

I went to ballet last night and I no longer feel good enough to be in the advanced classes but I know that’s not true as the marks in the rest of the exam say that I am. 

I’m going to continue with the IDTA adv 1 syllabus and start RAD adv 2 with the girls I took the exam with. I was never intending to take these exams so it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things but I’m sad that I can never say I achieved it. All because of 1 undeserved score in a bunch of good marks. When some can get 4s all the way through and pass with a mark of 40 and I can fail with a score in the 50s feels very unfair, but that’s the way it is. 

@RHowarth I did variation 2, I wouldn’t have liked to have even attempt variation 1 😁

@LinMM there isn’t the opportunity to do grade 7/8 or the reps unfortunately. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Workhard_Dreambig said:

Thank you all. 

I won’t be re taking it unfortunately. There isn’t the opportunity to keep practising and there isn’t a viable exam session. I know I should have passed it and the variation shouldn’t have been a fail. I’ve re watched it and although it’s not perfect and there’s definitely bits I could do better I hit all the steps and directions. My lines are ok for the most part, I have control and I never fall off pointe, I’m quite secure. To have been deemed ‘limited ability to achieve the component assessed’ doesn’t feel quite right. As I say it wasn’t great but certainly adequate which would have been a 4 and a pass. 

I just need to chalk it up to a very disappointing result and keep telling myself that I was good enough to pass and 1 mark more and I’ve have been feeling very different this weekend. 

I went to ballet last night and I no longer feel good enough to be in the advanced classes but I know that’s not true as the marks in the rest of the exam say that I am. 

I’m going to continue with the IDTA adv 1 syllabus and start RAD adv 2 with the girls I took the exam with. I was never intending to take these exams so it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things but I’m sad that I can never say I achieved it. All because of 1 undeserved score in a bunch of good marks. When some can get 4s all the way through and pass with a mark of 40 and I can fail with a score in the 50s feels very unfair, but that’s the way it is. 

@RHowarth I did variation 2, I wouldn’t have liked to have even attempt variation 1 😁

I'm so sorry to hear this. I was very disappointed with my grade 8 exam grade , 1 point off merit. I took that exam in my 40s. It took me a long time to get over and I felt my marks were unfair compared to other students I saw on utube etc who got distinction. It sometimes feels that some examiners are harsher on adults and don't take into account how brave you have to be to do an exam as an adult  

Onwards and upwards 

• Like 4

I don’t understand the marking of this exam then if you can get a higher score and fail while others pass on a lower score 🤔

I hope it’s not how Ofsted currently judge schools where the lowest score in an area is used to describe the whole school achievement no matter how good it may be in other areas!! 
That doesn’t seem fair ….especially for adults who are not considering a career in Dance etc. 

Ive seen older students saying here that they feel they may make up marks in musicality and presentation etc. so thought it was the overall score which counted. 
I know it might seem a step too far but can you “dispute” the result as it’s only a couple of marks? And you did get a high mark for the performance of this variation. If you had got a 4 instead of a 3 for the technique would you have passed? 

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I don’t understand the marking of this exam then if you can get a higher score and fail while others pass on a lower score 🤔

I hope it’s not how Ofsted currently judge schools where the lowest score in an area is used to describe the whole school achievement no matter how good it may be in other areas!! 
That doesn’t seem fair ….especially for adults who are not considering a career in Dance etc. 

Ive seen older students saying here that they feel they may make up marks in musicality and presentation etc. so thought it was the overall score which counted. 
I know it might seem a step too far but can you “dispute” the result as it’s only a couple of marks? And you did get a high mark for the performance of this variation. If you had got a 4 instead of a 3 for the technique would you have passed? 

Hello. Yes that’s correct. I scored 53 overall but because I scored 3 on the variation I failed. But yes if I’d have scored 4 on the variation I would have passed. It’s literally that one mark that has failed me. It’s different to the grades, IF and intermediate where the overall score has to be above 40. In this exam all 10 components have to be 4/10 to pass. So I could have got 93 and failed if I’d have scored 10 in every section but 3 in the dance. It’s sole destroying! 

I am going to ask for the breakdown of my marks (it cost an extra £40 on top of the already extortionate exam fee) but I feel I need to understand what I did so wrong. I’ve watched over and over and it’s ok 🤷‍♀️

My teacher has also gone back to the RAD about the marks. 

I doubt it will lead to anything but I’m grateful she’s trying. 

• Like 5

Oh my goodness failing an adult dancer on just ONE mark does seem particularly harsh 🙄

I hope some satisfaction at least comes out of the enquiry. 
Otherwise onwards and upwards! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

Oh my goodness failing an adult dancer on just ONE mark does seem particularly harsh 🙄

I hope some satisfaction at least comes out of the enquiry. 
Otherwise onwards and upwards! 

I was also really disappointed that I just got a list of numbers  

As a child I received a short report for ballet exams which made it easier to understand what I'd done well and where I needed to improve. A list of numbers can seem very arbitrary without any justification from the examiner 

• Like 3

I’m so sorry to hear this @Workhard_Dreambig, sending lots of hugs. 
I know it’s disappointing but please don’t let it put you off. It’s perfectly normal to be upset or angry or frustrated or whatever you feel for a while, but then just pick yourself back up and try again (whether that’s advanced 1 or another grade or a performance project). You must really love ballet to have put in all the effort to get to this stage - you absolutely can achieve that extra mark.
I find the result enquiry reports really helpful. I like reading the comments and it gives an indication of the further breakdown of marks eg posture, line, dynamics etc.  

• Like 3

Such a hard exam, and a huge achievement for any dancer to get to that level but especially an adult dancer. And those marks are amazing... I'd ignore the 3; I understand the mark scheme, but it's pretty mean of examiner not to give a 4, especially given your overall standard.      Could you do at RAD centre somewhere? It's about the process and all that but sounds like you really deserve to pass this exam. Regardless though, huge amounts of respect.

• Like 4

On 12/05/2023 at 18:02, Workhard_Dreambig said:

I’m absolutely gutted! 

@Workhard_Dreambig gosh that must be so frustrating after all the work you’ve undoubtedly put in to gain enough marks for a merit too - it seems so harsh to give a 3 for the variation. I’m glad your teacher is asking the rad to reconsider. I know my teacher has done this before and had her students awarded more marks. Sending prayers that they reconsider your marks and sending hugs too. ❤️

• Like 1

On 13/05/2023 at 08:18, Workhard_Dreambig said:

Thank you all. 

Oh gosh this seems so unbelievably unfair & frankly shows how a ‘points’ system can be overly clinical & harsh in outcome. 
I definitely would challenge….

And stay positive & ‘don’t let the b***ards get you down’ as the saying goes!!

Huge respect to you (& your teacher) for having the courage & support & clearly skill to get to this amazing point!

BRAVO!!! And keep the joy xx

• Like 1

Just to add… was it an ‘in person’ or video exam? If the latter then I am sure you’d be within your rights to ask for a new assessment? 
And I’m quite sure if you posted your video on here very very many as well qualified to exam people would give you a completely unbiased fair judgement & it’d be interesting to see result!

I personally think that for Inter F & above all in person exams should be videoed in case of dispute & tbh should have more than 1 examiner…. We pay enough in fees let’s face it!!

• Like 3

Thank you all for your replies. It’s made me feel a lot better that many of you think it’s unfair. The sad part is I really enjoyed working towards it and really pushed myself. I really did work hard, practicing at home and using free studios when I got the chance and this has really tainted it. 

@Peanut68 I don’t think I’m brave enough to put my video on here 🙈 will have a think. It would be good if the RAD would at least agree to rewatch the variation but I doubt they will. 

So it was a video exam? Personally I hate the idea of an exam solely being a video but can understand how the covid years led to it almost being a ‘new nornal’. But it surely does give opportunity to challenge with real potential for re-assessment & thus - no guarantees of course - potential to change the outcome. Yes, I imagine you have to challenge formally or request a re-exam or similar & if there’s an additional fee then that’s a bitter pill to swallow (I imagine that’s refundable if marks change??) And of course there’s the fear they’d just ‘close ranks’ & protect a fellow examiners integrity by marking exactly the same….so it could be money thrown down the drain…..

I do often think who examines the examiners in this crazy ballet world? Who holds the bodies to account etc? I guess ultimately it is us - the ‘customer’…..

I know I felt unfairly discriminated against in the only RAD exam I did as an adult & the experience sadly put me off going on to seek chance to continue progressing 

I would’ve considered tryinv similar level & doing exam with a different exam body to just to try find sone validation for where I felt I was at as opposed to where one (not very pleasant) examiner from one exam board felt I was at on that one day. 
I did get chance to try a few ISTD Inter & actually thought it was different & interesting enough to present a new challenge but sadly the classes ceased once the current cohort had taken exam….and travel distance made finding new ones impossible… but maybe another avenue yoj might have opportunity to explore?

Wishing all adults dancing with exam aspirations the very best of luck! 

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean re differing exam boards. I took my IDTA classical award a good few years ago and scored a whopping 90 which spurred me on to retake my RAD Intermediate (I’d failed what was elementary in my younger years). I got a merit for my intermediate (just a few points above the marks that have left me with a failed adv1) and remember being so disappointed with the variation in marks from IDTA and RAD. Something I have had to explain to my daughter who is examined in both. 

I know what you mean about video exams although they do reduce my nerves ever so slightly with the studio being familiar etc… 

I’ll send off my enquiry and see where we go from there. I may continue to refresh the syllabus just in case the school does another video session before the summer and I may ask then to retake it but I then run the risk of not doing so well I suppose. I had concerns about my allegro 5 and that one was always touch and go but I passed that section so don’t know if I want to run that risk 😂

• Like 4

I think good plan to get the enquiry actioned as otherwise there will always be a ‘what if’ (I defo regret not having my teacher action an enquiry after my exam…it was more the principle as genuinely felt me & my co-candidate were ill judged alongside the very young girls we were in exam with…..& indeed should’ve highlighted the perhaps  not ideal practise if putting adults in with kids….not least there was clear safeguarding malpractice as we were left alone in a room with minors…. Just to add…. It was us adults at risk from their pre-pubescent snarky remarks about our ages/abilities & awful critical stares at yes - our tits & our asses!! 
What I’d hoped was going to be a joyous ‘we did it’ exam session was less so but I know we did not let it affect our dancing & actually in sone ways we were spurred in to prove ourselves nog just to the examiner but to the 12 year olds (clearly aiming at vocational training/careers) & their patronising teacher too! Defo felt we wiped smug looks off their faces in exam room as we had solid hood technique & mature performance & musicality. We both deserved way higher marks than we were given. But there was no video, there would be no chance to get it reassessed & it would’ve felt like sour grapes (& we didn’t want our teacher to be labelled a trouble maker as we were her first ever examined Inter students) So, we put up BUT clearly never shut up about it as I’m still banging on about it on here now 😂 Sorry folks….

Move on peanut….

Let it go…

Don’t sweat the small stuff..

And breathe…..!!!

Just dance 🩰

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 1

Definitely ask to get your video re assessed. It sounds like you got a really mean examiner my teacher says that most examiners know you’re not a teenager looking to be a professional dancer and have respect for the fact that you’re really trying hard and enjoying yourself and tend to be kind with the marking. I think she is an examiner herself and she always said she would err on the side of giving marks where she can within reason so I’m thinking your examiner may have been an outlier in terms of harsh marking@Workhard_Dreambig

I have such mixed feelings about all of this. I too have been disappointed with my results, but I absolutely would not want to be assessed any differently to the young teenagers. I don’t want special consideration because I’m older or heavier or less experienced. I want the same sense of achievement if(/when!) I achieve the same standard expected of the youngsters. I think being examined alongside the 12 year olds is actually really helpful - surely it just pushes us adults to work hard enough to strive for the same standards expected of them. 

• Like 5

Oh in theory I’d completely agree….but in practise I think the examiner we had on the day actually couldn’t see that technique & leg heights were all spot on whether 12, 30 or 50…. But you could absolutely see he was visually challenged seeing perfect youth next to real world women! Could be a trendy ad these days - ha ha! 

• Like 2

Oh @Workhard_Dreambig how absolutely devastating. Adv 1 is such a big, physically demanding exam and by the time you get to the variation, you're just about dead. I remember feeling like I'd been put in an industrial sized dryer, just absolutely pummelled in every part of my body. And in Variation 2, that part where you have to kneel on the floor and stand back up? How are you meant to do that gracefully??? I'm glad you can see that 1 mark does not define you or your ability, and hopefully you're also able to appreciate how much the work you put into preparing for this exam improved your dancing. You absolutely deserve to still be in advanced level classes and hopefully you enjoy working towards Adv 2 with the same group of ladies. 

I did find it a massive increase in the stress of taking the exam that one mark in one section can be the difference between passing and failing. I know one girl who failed her Adv 1 twice, both times she would have scored a distinction but she got a 3 for pointe on both occasions. It's just so soul shattering and seems so arbitrary! Especially when the variation is only about 2 minutes out of the overall exam, which took over an hour for me to complete. How bitter to fail the whole hour because of just 2 minutes. 

Hopefully something comes from your teacher querying the mark. Even if it doesn't, I'm glad you can look at the video and know that you deserved to do better, that this one mark does not reflect you as a person or a dancer. Best of luck with IDTA. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone doing any exams this session? I don’t think I’ll be doing any more until the winter session, unless I decide to record some video exams over summer (teacher approval dependent). I’m also still waiting on my result enquiry report from my last exam so I should probably wait to read the comments on that before tackling another one haha. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

Is anyone doing any exams this session? I don’t think I’ll be doing any more until the winter session, unless I decide to record some video exams over summer (teacher approval dependent). I’m also still waiting on my result enquiry report from my last exam so I should probably wait to read the comments on that before tackling another one haha. 

We were hoping to do Intermediate Foundation this term but have been doing show work for a show in July so looking like it will be winter term now!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

I’m sitting my intermediate foundation exam by video on 15th July - allegro 2 is causing me so much frustration at the moment - the beats are proving hard to get consistently, if at all.

The rest of the exam is passable but I just can’t seem to get that petit allegro exercise done tidily.

I’m doing 2 intermediate foundation classes a week (one of which is a private lesson) plus another 1-2 open adult classes a week and I hire a hall for 1.5hours once a week to practice. If I get any extra time I do yoga and weights once a week too.

I’m feeling like I am physically doing all I can with the time I’ve got available outside of work and family commitments. I’ll be super happy with a pass, but a merit would be a dream come true. 

I had a kind of mock exam this week - My teacher has said in comments over the last few weeks that I should get 7 for barre, 6 for adage and decent marks for port de bras, pointe and musicality/presentation. I think the centre, allegros 1 and 3 and variation 1 are passable too as far as I can tell. It’s just the allegro 2 - I’ll be lucky to get any marks for it at all in my estimation.

Anyway, since I’d not danced at all in my life and I only started going to class once lockdown lifted, I’ll consider any form of pass a massive achievement. I wish I was a better dancer, but it’s a work in progress and I have loved every minute of the preparation even if it has been a little gruelling of late. 

On a practical note what foundation would anyone recommend that will not sweat off please? Mine came off on the towel whilst drying my face in between exercises (it’s a beauty pie one). Also any tips to minimise sweating? It literally looked like someone had thrown a glass of water on me during the mock exam. Any advice would be very gratefully received. 

• Like 3

It sounds like you’re doing exactly the right things @Angela Essex and I wish you all the very best with your Intermediate-Foundation exam. I haven’t done any of the vocationals yet but maybe in winter 🤞🏻 

As for advice about sweating… I also need that! Even in winter I would sweat a lot so summer is rather unpleasant! 

• Thanks 1

I'm kind of kicking myself for not taking the DR level 2 exam last term when I could, but I was feeling that I had a lot of family stuff that I should be doing so I backed out and now I regret it! And now no exams are on the horizon for me as I shall probably be moving house in the next few months and then will have to start again in a new school. When I eventually do get settled I'll do DR and possibly return to Grade 7 which I missed out during COVID. Very occasionally I have thoughts of IF which I have never done as I went straight to Inter and I did learn it at home during lockdown.

Re sweating: baby powder on body, lots and lots of loose powder on face. 

4 hours ago, The_Red_Shoes said:

I'm kind of kicking myself for not taking the DR level 2 exam last term when I could, but I was feeling that I had a lot of family stuff that I should be doing so I backed out and now I regret it! And now no exams are on the horizon for me as I shall probably be moving house in the next few months and then will have to start again in a new school. When I eventually do get settled I'll do DR and possibly return to Grade 7 which I missed out during COVID. Very occasionally I have thoughts of IF which I have never done as I went straight to Inter and I did learn it at home during lockdown.

Re sweating: baby powder on body, lots and lots of loose powder on face. 

Thanks for the tip does the baby powder leave dusty marks on your leotard though? - good luck with the house move and with finding a new studio @The_Red_Shoes

Edited by Angela Essex