Urgent! Where to stay in London?!

munchkin16

I need to find a place to stay in London from Friday to Sunday night. It needs to be accessible to near Buckingham Palace possibly for very early morning starts. Please could some of the London dwellers help me out with a recommendation of where to stay or which areas to look in? I have no clue where to start! My budget is probably around £100 for the 3 nights but preferably less. I know it's last minute but unfortunately the job is too! Thank you!

This may be stating the obvious, but "London dwellers" are often the least likely people to know about London tourist accommodation, as we never need it ourselves!

However I would say that you will find it hard to find a private room for three nights within £100.  Without super-advance offers that's fairly tight even outside London.  I've done a couple of searches but can't find *anything* that isn't a bed in a dormitory (though if you're prepared to take that option there are plenty of places around, with good central locations too).  Your best option might be AirBnB...

Victoria Station is adjacent to Buckingham Palace both railway and underground stations You don't say how early your start is, but at weekend the trains start later.  You may be able to find accommodation cheaper further out and commuting into Victoria, for example convenient Balham Station has a Travel Lodge next door, however you need to double your budget at the very least.

Victoria also has the advantage of being very well-connected with 24-hour bus routes, so you may not need tubes/trains to be running.

However, I maintain that the only way you will find three nights' accommodation within reach of Victoria on that tight a budget at this short notice is to opt for dorm accommodation.

This location would be excellent but only offers mixed dorms (I know the area very well - I'm writing this from a block away). http://www.budgetplaces.com/offer/detail/?establishment_id=34331&checkin=2015-12-04&checkout=2015-12-07&guests=1&room_arr=105516x1x1

This place is a little more expensive and a bus ride away but currently has a female-only dorm place available. http://www.budgetplaces.com/offer/detail/?establishment_id=34336&checkin=2015-12-04&checkout=2015-12-07&guests=1&room_arr=105536x1x1

Are any tube lines or buses not running this weekend?! I might have found somewhere near Archway tube station?

You should be fine re tubes... https://tfl.gov.uk/forms/12392.aspx

But a word of advice - when taking a southbound tube from Archway (assuming you are trying to end up on the Victoria Line) always take a train that goes via Bank rather than via Charing Cross.  Change at Euston from a Bank train, and you'll find the Victoria Line right alongside the Northern Line platform.  Change at Euston from a Charing Cross train and you have a massive walk up and down escalators.

Edited by RuthE

Have you tried Holland House which is in Eccleston Square, a few minutes walk from Victoria station. They have single, twin or dorm rooms with the most expensive being around £37 a night going down to £29 approx. for a dorm. I think this includes evening meal also. Its part of the LHA (London Hostel Association) and is set in a quiet location. The website shows availability for longer term lets but I think you have to phone for short stays.

We stay in London for theatre trips in budget accommodation & the absolute cheapest ive ever got is £60-70 per night for travelodge/premier inn.

Dh used to work just outside london & commuted. He has stsyed cheaply in areas like Kensington (awful experience which included bedbugs) & a place in Croydon that was really good but Transport links were not as good.

I forgot to say, if you need a decent night's sleep in Central London, take earplugs or a white noise app. Having stayed in several Premier Inns for LCB summer schools, dd and I really struggled with sirens (Ealing) and night time construction work (Old Street). Noise cancelling earbuds helped.

I would point out that - unless engineering works are taking place, so do check - there should be an all-night service from East Croydon into Victoria, albeit I think only one per hour, so somewhere like the Travelodge in Croydon, 5 minutes' walk away, might be an option.  Otherwise youth hostels were my only other suggestion.  How early is "early"?  Are we talking before the Tube starts running?

• Like 1

Oh the sirens AnnaC!

The irony is when I moved to Saltdean (just east of Brighton) I couldn't sleep at night at first because it was so quiet!! Where were all the sirens and helicopters!! Some nights I thought something truly awful must have happened but no just a normal London night.

Anyway used to the quiet now and find London comparatively noisy when I stay up there.

I was going to,suggest the YHA as well....I think there's a big one near Kings Cross so easy access on Victoria Line but guess even they are expensive these days at least at the last minute.

• Like 1

Probably not going to work for this trip but if the Universities have broken up then you can rent out some of the student accommodation

Non DD stayed in an AirBnb in Malta. Couldn't fault it.  The owner offered to pick them up from the airport and get some shopping in for them

Hope you find something soon.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I've found an airbnb place. Bit more expensive than my original budget but I get a private room. If the job wasn't so awkward I would have checked out those dorm rooms but I didn't want to risk it this time. Also airbnb wasn't that much more expensive than some of those dorm rooms. Definitely recommend having a look to anyone who paid £100 for a travelodge, there were some nice places on there!

• Like 2

Probably not going to work for this trip but if the Universities have broken up then you can rent out some of the student accommodation

I actually looked at this earlier, but it seems it's basically a week too early for anything to be vacant.

I actually looked at this earlier, but it seems it's basically a week too early for anything to be vacant.

and even they charge more than the stated budget. I stayed at LSE's Bankside House (behind Tate Modern) with my choir a couple of years ago and I believe it was 69 pounds a night. (I also wouldn't recommend it unless you have a very high tolerance of excruciatingly uncomfortable beds).

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Am planning to stay overnight in London after Mayerling in May and considering the Southwark Travelodge. It appears to be within easy reach of Covent Garden and okay price wise. I am wondering if anyone has stayed there - is it easy to get to etc. I will be returning either to Victoria or St Pancras the next morning, depending on other plans not yet decided. Failing that, I just want a decent place to stay, reasonably central and not outrageously expensive. I am something of a novice regards actually staying in London.

The TfL website is extremely good. It shows bus routes, plus the location of the stops on a map. If your Travelodge is the one in Union Street then it is a short walk to Blackfriars Road where you can get the 63 bus to Kiing's Cross, which is just across the way from St Pancras Station. You will have a slightly longer walk to Waterloo Road for the 68 bus for CG. I usually get off at the stop immediately after the bridge and walk up to the ROH past the theatre where The Lion King is on (I can't remember its name). I'm not sure how you'd get to Victoria Station but the TfL route planner should be able to help you with this.

On journey times, you'd only be going one or two stops on the 68 bus - just taking you over Waterloo Bridge. The 63 route is longer and can be slow depending on traffic so you need to bear this in mind when planning your journey.

Edited by aileen

I recommend the Celtic Hotel to people. I'm staying there next week when I go up to London to hear Monica Mason speak to the Society for Theatre Research. It's a very safe quiet comfortable B&B in Bloomsbury. Very reasonably priced as I always have a single with no en suite -- it's around £60 with breakfast.

But Southwark is easy - there's a big Tube station there, and the area is far more populated & safe than even 10 years ago. I think you'll be fine. If it's a nice evening, it'd be a lovely walk from Covent Garden through the City to St Paul's, across the Millennium Bridge to the hotel.