Birmingham Royal Ballet - Swan Lake - Autumn 2015

BRB's Autumn season opened at the Lowry tonight with Swan Lake.

The performance was led by the divine Celine Gittens and magnificent Tyrone Singleton.  It was a fabulous start to the season!

Please let us know what you think about BRB's Swan Lake on this thread.  Thanks!

• Like 8

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do,Janet. I`m off to see them twice,at the Thursday matinee,5th November then the evening performance two nights later. I think it`s exactly the same production I saw in the Eighties,with Galina Samtsova. I was actually a little disappointed in it,if I remember correctly. There were no 32 Fouettes and the Black Swan`s tutu was red. Hope those two things have changed since then.

• Like 1

Team Terpsichore are going to this evening's performance. Hirata and Caley will be dancing the lead roles which should be good. Like Janet McNulty I am also a big fan of Gittens and am glad to read that you will be the Polish princess tonight.

I should have liked to have been at The Lowry last night because Singleton and Gittens were great in Coppelia earlier in the year but that would have meant missing Jane Tucker's class at Northern Ballet. Jane is a teacher with whom I just click. Gittens and Singleton are also dancing on Saturday afternoon which is just after I will have finished dancing with my over 55 class in Morley Town Hall.

Having witnessed a grim faced Monica Tait warn us in York that Matthews had hurt herself badly and would be off work for some time earlier this year it is so good to read that she is to dance Odette-Odile this afternoon. I would loved to have seen her today but I have to work. Her partner will be Lawrence who is another favourite.  Matthews is also dancing the Hungarian princess on Saturday evening which is exactly the time  Chantry Dance arrive in Halifax.

• Like 1

Birmingham Royal Ballet are so lucky to have Sir Peter Wright's majestic and traditional production of Swan Lake.  I love the dark, gothic sets and the richness of the costumes as well as the meticulous attention to detail in the choreography.

I knew we were in for something special last night from the opening chord of the overture (the orchestra were on top notch form under the baton of Paul Murphy).  Then William Bracewell appeared as Benno...

I will say from the outset that the whole cast was on top form.  The swans were just beautiful throughout Acts 2 and 4 - gorgeous synchronicity!

Tryone Singleton gave the most beautifully nuanced performance as Prince Siegfried.  In Act 1 he was obviously melancholy after the death of his father and weighed down by the responsibilities of his new role, as well as being told by his mother that he had to get married (Marion Tait was so commanding on the stage - a real masterclass in a character role and stage presence).  But as the party organised by Benno went along you could see him visibly trying to pull himself together and enjoy himself.  As for his impeccable and scintillating dancing ... if anyone was born to dance the Princely roles it has got to be Tyrone!

Angela Paul and Laura Purkiss were delightful courtesans and their pas de trios with Benno was a joy to behold.  William Bracewell's solo was just glorious!

And then they went on the swan hunt...

From the second that Celine Gittens came on stage I was captivated.  She was fragile and vulnerable.  The adagio was so beautiful I was in tears, as I was indeed as she and Siegfried were forced apart at the end of the Act.

Yvette Knight and Yijing Jhang were deliciously well matched as the big swans and the cygnets were a delight of synchronicity.

Act 3 always looks very opulent.  Gorgeous and contrasting solos from the three Princess vying for Siegfried - Elisha Willis, Samara Downs and Miki Mizutani.  The look on Samara's face when she was introduced to Elisha and then Miki  was just priceless and worth the cost of the ticket on its own!  The czardas were brilliantly led by Jonathan Caguioa and Ruth Brill.  The Neapolitan, as danced by Laura Purkiss, Jade Heusen, Kit Holder and James Barton was total joy!

Celine was a magnificent temptress as Odile and it was easy to see how Tyrone was totally taken in by her.  The black swan pdd was breath-taking!  

Act 4 was heart-breaking and beautiful.  Of course, I was shedding tears by the end!

It was a magnificent start to BRB's Autumn season and I am looking forward to seeing not only the other casts this week but also Celine and Tyrone again on Saturday afternoon.

• Like 8

I can only echo JMcN's thoughts above.  I was "severely" admonished by our esteemed Moderator for counting fouettes but I can't help it - I reckon there were a few more than 32 (inc doubles) and Celine Gittins finished them beautifully en pointe without a wobble or foot down - Brava!!!  The best bit for me (as always with this version) was the curtain up on Act 4 with a stage deeply filled with dry ice and and a hint of swans beneath - then with the music that scene combines into a truly spine tingling moment. I have to agree that William Bracewell's dancing was lovely - he landed so softly and was lovely to watch.  As JMcN noted,  Samara Downs' look of disdain at meeting the Princess competition was priceless!!!  The music was fabulous and the dancing a joy as one expects from BRB. If I had one criticism - the costumes are very heavy looking (especially the walk on parts) and a dullish palette but that is far outshone by the dancing.  Don't miss this show if you can see it! (there are some special offers on tickets for the Sadlers Wells run - see the ticket forum)

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 3

Brandon and Delia were wonderful in their first performance this afternoon. He is a true prince, a true danseur noble; lovely stage manners, beautiful style, fine elevation for such a tall dancer. She danced clearly, no fudging, beautifully articulated shapes and her dancing conveying her emotions in a way you see less frequently nowadays. Altogether a very moving performance from them both. They coped pretty well with the Black Swan pas de deux. The corps danced eloquently and together and the two big swans were very well matched (Ana Albutashvili and Alys Shee) and danced immaculately.

It was lovely to see the production again, no silly tutor, no rude princesses in identical dresses (I was sorry to read about Samara's expression, I have always greatly admired her, but princesses would follow etiquette), no silly cavorting at the start of the ball scene, just a true reading of the classic, in other words, a Peter Wright masterly production.

A pity that the audience was so small.

• Like 4

Brandon and Delia were wonderful in their first performance this afternoon. He is a true prince, a true danseur noble; lovely stage manners, beautiful style, fine elevation for such a tall dancer. She danced clearly, no fudging, beautifully articulated shapes and her dancing conveying her emotions in a way you see less frequently nowadays. Altogether a very moving performance from them both. They coped pretty well with the Black Swan pas de deux. The corps danced eloquently and together and the two big swans were very well matched (Ana Albutashvili and Alys Shee) and danced immaculately.

It was lovely to see the production again, no silly tutor, no rude princesses in identical dresses (I was sorry to read about Samara's expression, I have always greatly admired her, but princesses would follow etiquette), no silly cavorting at the start of the ball scene, just a true reading of the classic, in other words, a Peter Wright masterly production.

A pity that the audience was so small.

I would like to echo the observations of SheilaC, particularly her comment "her dancing conveying her emotions in a way you see less frequently nowadays." Both Brandon and Delia were always telling the story.

• Like 2

The best bit for me (as always with this version) was the curtain up on Act 4 with a stage deeply filled with dry ice and and a hint of swan beneath

When I first saw the BRB's Swan Lake, I was sitting at the front of the stalls, so had no idea there where swans beneath that dry ice u til they rose up. Marvellous!

• Like 2

Yesterday afternoon I was reduced to the status of emotional wreck by Delia and Brandon's performances.  I was already blubbing after the white swan adagio and more or less openly sobbing by the end of Act 4.  They danced for each other and were so intent on each other it was just a very special experience to watch them.

But the performance was more than just their performances.  I have already commented earlier about the quality of the swans the night before and they were just as good yesterday.

As well as the obvious onstage rapport between Delia and Brandon, it was all the other interactions that added up to make this a really special performance.  Max Maslen was both sensitive and youthfully enthusiastic as Benno; at one point during the party in Act 1 you could see Siegfried saying to him (very subtly) "we'd better not get too carried away with the alcohol here".  Max danced the role beautifully too; he was a delight in the pas de trios with the 2 courtesans.  Yvette Knight was wonderfully imperious as the Queen Mother and you could see she was torn between telling Siegfried he had to do his duty and wanting him to be happy.  When she was telling him in act 1 that he had to get married I felt as though I was almost intruding on an intimate mother/son relationship.  These are just a couple of small examples of what went to making yesterday afternoon's performance so very special and so very memorable.

I feel very privileged to have been in the audience yesterday afternoon.

I also saw last night's performance led by the miraculous Momoko Hirata and Joe Caley with Mathias Dingman as Benno.  All three dancers are more experienced in their roles and the performance flowed beautifully, with the roles fitting the three dancers like gloves.  If I thought this performance could have been an anti-climax after the afternoon's emotional rollercoaster it shows just how wrong I was!  It was an outstanding performance from start to finish.

So now I've seen three casts, all very different, all very wonderful.  BRB have got an embarrassment of riches at the moment where we can look down the minutiae of the cast sheet and be excited to see so many names in so many roles.  I do hope you are all going to catch this terrific production somewhere on this tour.  BRB ARE ON FIRE!!!

• Like 10

Janet I too watched the matinee yesterday and am still feeling the emotion. I was overwhelmed by Delia's performance. Went along with my friend at the last minute. We stood during the curtain calls with tears rolling down our cheeks. Brandon was outstanding. There was emotion too pouring from the swans, all in unison. I don't think I ever felt as involved watching a ballet before and of course there was much joy too. Quite an experience!

• Like 7

Thanks for the reviews folks, I’m now even more looking forward to both performances at Sadler’s Wells on the 14th of October.

Matinee from high up in the second circle to take it all in and for best overall effect and evening from front row stalls for maximum in-your-face soloist goodness :D.

First time at Sadler’s Wells and first BRB :).

• Like 5

Yesterday afternoon I was reduced to the status of emotional wreck by Delia and Brandon's performances.  

Hang on, there was a matinee yesterday?!  How did I manage to miss that?  Curses.  I thought the only mid-weekers were next Wednesday and the following Tuesday :(

The reviews are referring to the Lowry matinee with Delia Matthews and Brandon Lawrence. I think the others are talking about going to matinees at Sadlers Wells. I'm thinking of going to the the Belfast Grand Opera House myself to see Delia and Brandon. Anyone know the theatre sight lines/best seats etc. .

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

Great to hear these reviews coming in and the obvious joy these performances have given. Also very fascinating to hear Lisa had seen the original production with Samsova in the 1980s - wonderful ballet history!

I went on the opening night in Salford too with Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton, and it fulfilled my expectations - even exceeded, considering it was opening night - if there were any imperfections, I couldn't see them.  Janet has already given a review above and I agree completely with all her points. I've wanted to see Gittens dance a lead role since seeing her in Nutcracker (Rose Fairy) and Coppelia (Dawn) in the last year, and her qualities really impressed me. 

I've seen about 7-8 Swan Lakes live over the years and would have to agree with you Janet that this is my favourite production - well it's hard to do better that Sir Peter Knight isn't it?

To add to what Janet has already mentioned, Singelton handled all those spectacular lifts superbly, and in the Black Swan pdd the final lift at the end was a little throw and catch, which just added that extra flair which is so exciting. But actually among the males, it was  William Bracewell's dancing which I particularly liked, and I remember his quality shining out in the Coppelia I saw. 

Gittens delivered a flawless and elegant performance to my eyes. It's so fascinating to see ballerinas take on this split role. She's certainly got that stunning willowy physique which seems to be the modern ideal, particularly for Odette. I liked the fact that in the Act II finale, the diagonal immediately before she does her entrechats was taken at a decent tempo (so often it's slowed down so much that Odette lookes like a glacier moving across the stage). In the black swan pdd she seemed to really intensify her finishes, and as for the fouettes, I don't count but I remember she performed a perfect set, phrased evenly with doubles. Maybe I shouldn't pay so much attention to the 32 fouettes, but it's such an exciting spectacle when it comes off, and I think it's fair to say that Gittens' were among the best I've ever seen. I didn't feel there was an imbalance in the conviction with which she portayed Odile and Odette.

Despite seeing so many Swan Lakes, I find it wonderful that I see new things every time (I'd seen BRB Swan Lake at the Lowry in 2012 too), and the princesses in Act III was something I didn't remember last time but certainly noticed this time. The great Elisha Willis was the Hungarian Princess, and I loved the 'Raymonda' style of the solo.

Just wanted to mention it was a packed house on opening night which pleased me. I was in upper circle and there were hardly any empty seats, which I don't think I've ever seen before in a ballet at the Lowry.

What a privilege it is to see BRB and the Royal Ballet Sinfonia deliver this masterpiece. I thought I might see a some first night wobbles but clean as a whistle from my point of view. Talk about value for money.

• Like 3

Oh,oh, I wish I could see the BRB's SWAN LAKE in Birmingham. When I went up for Sylvia in the summer I was blown away by Birmingham's regeneration (and the BRB, as usual!) Unfortunately I have blown all my pennies on 3 RB R and Js and 3 ENB R and Js, I always go a bit bonkers around R and J time!, but I might try to get to BRB SWAN LAKR at Sadlers Wells. Janet, I know it's hard to call, but as I shall only have the pennies for one performance, which cast would you recommend?

• Like 2

Well I saw Shang and Cesar tonight. Cesar is such a beautiful dancer and a superb partner. Shang couldn't have asked for a better partner for her remarkable debut. It was another corker of a performance.

With my sob-o-meter reading, and I could only go for one show I would go for Delia and Brandon.

• Like 3

Last minute decision to see BRB Swan Lake again on Saturday Matinee at the Lowry, again with Gittens and Singleton in the lead roles and Bracewell as Benno. Another fabulous performance, and despite a far smaller audience their appreciation and applause actually seemed stronger at the curtain calls than on opening night when it was packed. I'm not usually a repeat performance-goer but I really enjoyed Wednesday, and better seats were available today so I went for it.

This time I made sure I relished the solo passages of Benno (William Bracewell) in Act I, where he performed magnificent flying jetes, and again his quality and presence on the stage was remarkable. I also paid attention to the excellence of Singleton, his controlled power and athleticism is superb - he jumps and lands like a cat.

Gittens once more I couldn't fault. Still very intrigued about her treatment of Odille/Odette and can't quite decide which one she might prefer. I must commend her Black Swan fouettes again - perfect, smooth regal spinning which makes them look almost leisurely. Quite different and in many ways preferable to the more frantic efforts one sees in many performances you might see on the internet. By taking them with ease and elegance, she manages to make that coda into more than just a over-the-top party-trick.  

I also felt once more the thrill of Tchaikovksy's score, even without the dancing, it can give me the shivers.

Heard a young lad say to his monther, unprompted, 'that was really good wasn't it?' on leaving, which gave me a bit of hope that classical ballet can maintain an audience and thus its own future. Sometimes when I see the rather sparse audiences, I worry.

• Like 3

Due to Janet's extreme enthusiasm about the Delia Mathews / Brandon Lawrence cast, I have now duly acquired an additional Swan Lake for the Sadler's Wells performances. Hopefully I can just waft out of the office around lunchtime for what is now a double Swan Lake day...

• Like 2

Over the weekend, here in Brum was the Birmingham Weekender, a weekend of free outdoor performance, art and entertainment across the city centre. The highlight was clearly the BRB performing the pdd from Swan Lake in the Bullring. I've found a little video of it on youtube. I think it was filmed by the person standing behind me. There are also some pictures in the gallery of this news story on the Birmingham Mail website. Luckily they are near the front so you can avoid the boring rugby pictures. More pix on the BRBs twitter

Sadly I can't find a video of the Flash Flock, the flash mob style Swan Lake. The idea was you learned the steps from this video on the BRB's website and joined in. Pix on the BRBs facebook

• Like 2

Thanks, especially for the Youtube link Trog!  It's a lovely piece of film.

I believe they were due to dance the adagio FOUR times on Saturday afternoon and this after Shang made her debut with Cesar at the Lowry on Friday night!

I can't wait to see Yaoqian Shang and Cesar Morales again on Wednesday afternoon.

BTW, for people who have booked specific performances at SW because of my enthusiasms, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

• Like 2