RBS SUMMER SCHOOL 2016

amos73

Just seen that applications open for the summer school next year already! But then looked at the dates for WL and saw that both weeks are actually before school term (or at least state school term) ends - is this normal? I thought it took place during the summer holidays.

Its not unique to RBS - ENB seniors is also before the end of the school term. As it is undoubtedly 'training and education' and not lolling about on a beach, schools may be sympathetic to granting time off. Or perhaps it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

I wonder if this is more driven by International holiday dates.  As far as I know, USA and many other countries are already on holiday for the summer by then. Perhaps they have decided they don't need to follow English (as opposed to NI or Scottish) dates any more.  One of my young pupils has applied for the JA  Exerience Day in October, but it is the week before half term!  They usually do it during half term. 

• Like 3

Wouldn't this mean the summer school is held when the vocational students are still at RBS? Just a thought

Summer term finishes relatively early next year on 9th July 2016. There is usually a week between the end of term and the start of Summer School but looks like they have decided to go straight into it next year.

I wonder if this is more driven by International holiday dates.  As far as I know, USA and many other countries are already on holiday for the summer by then. Perhaps they have decided they don't need to follow English (as opposed to NI or Scottish) dates any more.  One of my young pupils has applied for the JA  Exerience Day in October, but it is the week before half term!  They usually do it during half term. 

I suspect you are right, and it may be simple economics that is driving the change. If the bulk of the students are from abroad and they prefer the earlier date i guess it makes sense even if it's not exactly fair.

It seems tough on British children though. Whilst of course everyone here recognises this as an educational opportunity, as we have discussed before on the forum, not all academic schools value dance. Add that to the much stricter rules on time off school nowadays and I can well imagine plenty of head teachers not authorising absence for this.And it's not like parents opting for term time holidays to save money who may well take the fine and go anyway as it still works out cheaper - summer school costs are high as it is so the prospect of a fine may make the difference between being able to afford to take up a place or not for some families.

I heard that YBSS is Saturday 16th July. Elmhurst break up on that day after their final show so it's a well organised parent who can get them to York in time with all their kit ! Dd did YBSS this year but only because she had a weeks break between school and the start of it. It would be pretty tough to do it back to back I feel ! My Ds is none vocational and doing A levels. There is no chance for him to attend any of these summer schools either. So off we go to Morocco. By far the best summer school I have ever been too ????

• Like 1

I wonder if it will make the other options more competitive... That's reality though I suppose... RBS are now doing half term master classes though which may not be convenient for the international students. Fingers crossed!!!

They are not in our half term sadly!! Seems we are destined to miss out on anything RBS again!