RBS SUMMER SCHOOL 2016

amos73

Can't remember off the top of my head, but as you progress through filling in the online form it tells you. But I think you need to get to the page with the info, then you can save it, you will then be sent a link to access your form when you've done your photos. Was definitely arabesque and a few others, all in pointe shoes. 

• Like 1

Perhaps I read it wrong then..........................................oops! :rolleyes:

Or perhaps it depended on which age group you applied to??

Hope so or my DD will be turned down, because her mothers an idiot, before they've even looked at her!

Edited by Loulabelle
  • Like 1

Oh - thanks Piccolo - you are right,I do not seem to know how to 'quote' or select a comment I wish to reply to correctly!....any tips?.

Yes, did wonder about the distance for the Sunday dates, but just not really doable. Time & financially exhausting but good luck to all those able to attend & enjoy the classes!

I don't suppose they would let students miss the first couple of days of summer school if they got accepted, would they?  Our school show is the beginning of the first week and I would feel really bad if we were to lose our best students for the recital, because I told them to apply for summer school. Perhaps people could write in complaining that it's too early - they might pay attention..........

• 4 weeks later...

So if I can afford to send my child to private school then my child is able to go to RB summer school but if I can't and they go to the local comprehensive then not only will I struggle to afford paying for summer school in the first place and save madly, I will then also have to probably pay a fine on top for the privilege of going in term time! All screams elitist to me ????. They aren't stupid, they know when most schools finish!! Ballerinas should be scouted like footballers from local schools, that is where they will find the stars of the future... Sorry if this offends anyone but it's how I feel about ballet most of the time ????

• Like 4

Hi there folks - you might find that you don't need to ask your school for 'holiday' to attend these, cos they aren't a holiday, they are summer schools. :)

Since they are educational establishments they should count as 'Educational Visit', 'Educated Offsite', 'Approved Sporting Activity' or some other category.

• Like 1

YellowCar, my view on the timing of the SS this year is its an indication that this is an a International SS, not s UK one. Posts from last year's SS at Covent Garden share how there are only 3 or 4 girls from the UK in each of the year groups. If your dancer is lucky enough to get a place and can get the time off school there are bursaries available.

• Like 1

The summer school dates just follow the school term dates. School term usually finishes a week before most state schools but every few years, the calendar shifts mean the dates move it back by two weeks instead of one and this has a knock on effect. That is also the reason that the school is on half term this week when most (but not all) schools are next week. It will all fall back in line next year.

This shift of dates also happened a few years ago and my DD managed to go and her school put it down as 'education outside school'

Ballerinas should be scouted like footballers from local schools, that is where they will find the stars of the future... Sorry if this offends anyone but it's how I feel about ballet most of the time

Yellow Car in my experience most vocational schools work very hard to try to ensure that access is as wide as possible and they have bursaries available for those who find it difficult to afford courses. With full time places there is also access to government funding through MDS.

RBS itself works hard to widen access and I wonder if you have seen the work they do through their Primary Steps scheme which focuses on Primary Schools in disadvantaged areas (link below). I'm sure they would love to do more if they had the funds but sadly there is not the same money in ballet as there is in football

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/outreach-and-access/schools/primary/

• Like 2

to be honest I don't think you can really take much account of school holidays and their timings since there are no standard terms in England. Back in around 2009/2010 there was something issued by the government so that local authorities had the choice of opting their schools into a new system which basically aimed to have the Easter holidays fixed as the first 2 weeks of April and all terms to therefore be roughly the same length (regardless of if Easter itself then fell in the holidays) Other local education authorities kept with the shifting Easter holiday so terms very various lengths. So you already had England divided into 2 ssytems. Independent schools were never governed by local authorities and have always been free to set their own terms. This was extended to the new academies and did the government not decide (back in 2013) that from September 2015 all schools should be free to set their own terms. I do know various schools that said they would do away with the long 6 week summer holiday in favour of 2 weeks in October and 2 weeks in May instead but not if it has actually happened.

I state England and the possibility of a lot more variety in timings of school terms. I think in Wales the government went the other way and wanted to standardise school terms.

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 1