Russian Icons Gala 2016

Looks much more expensive than in past years (at least in the stalls and dress circle), or am I just forgetting how high the prices have always been?  And most of the stalls and the front of dress circle is all blocked out as unanvailable.  I think I will pass this time.  I usually go, but it is a bit variable in quality and I'm not sure it is worth this year's prices.  I don't blame them for hiking the price as it always sells out.

Looks much more expensive than in past years (at least in the stalls and dress circle), or am I just forgetting how high the prices have always been?  And most of the stalls and the front of dress circle is all blocked out as unanvailable.  I think I will pass this time.  I usually go, but it is a bit variable in quality and I'm not sure it is worth this year's prices.  I don't blame them for hiking the price as it always sells out.

It is much more expensive than hitherto but, hey, when rich Russians among others are willing to pay such prices, the promoters would perhaps be foolish not to try! It had better be good though.

• 5 months later...

Cast now announced on facebook!

The programme, accompanied by the orchestra of the English National Ballet Philharmonic, will be performed by Maria Alexandrova (Bolshoi Theatre), Sergio Bernal (National Ballet of Spain), Claudio Coviello (La Scala), Marlon Dino (Bavarian State Ballet), Aurelie Dupont (previously of the Paris Opera Ballet), Matthew Golding (The Royal Ballet), Isaak Hernandes, (English National Ballet), Kimin Kim (Mariinsky Theatre), Daria Klimentová, Maria Kochetkova (San Francisco Ballet), Liudmila Konovalova (Vienna State Ballet), Kristina Kretova (Bolshoi Theatre), Ekaterina Krysanova (Bolshoi Theatre), Lucia Lacarra (Bavarian State Ballet), Sarah Lamb (The Royal Ballet), Vladislav Lantratov (Bolshoi Theatre), Viktor Lebedev (Mikhailovsky Ballet), Andrei Merkuriev (Bolshoi Theatre), Herve Moreau (Paris Opera Ballet), Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet), Marianela Nuñez (The Royal Ballet), Yekaterina Osmolkina (Mariinsky Theatre), Xander Parish (Mariinsky Theatre), Tamara Rojo (English National Ballet), Farukh Ruzimatov (Mikhailovsky Ballet), Polina Semionova (American Ballet Theatre), Kristina Shapran (Mariinsky Theatre), Daniil Simkin (American Ballet Theatre), Thiago Soares (The Royal Ballet), Ivan Vasiliev (American Ballet Theatre), Angelina Vorontsova (Mikhailovsky Ballet) and Igor Zelensky.

• Like 1

Phew, glad I spotted this and just grabbed a pair of balcony seats for Mrs Quintus and me.  I just hope they all actually turn up this year - last year the Russians were rather thin on the stage. Particularly looking forward to seeing Maria Kochetkova for the first time, and the delectable Polina Semionova for only the second. Vasiliev should be a treat too, a gala is the perfect opportunity to show off big time! 

Ye gods - £40 for the balcony!  It used to be £25.  Oh well, I'll *have* to pass, then.  There's no way I can afford that.

EDIT: And now I look lower down, I see rather more seats still in the Dress and Upper Circles than I would normally expect one month ahead, so I guess other people may be baulking, too.  This gala used to specifically raise funds for various charities, but I don't think I've seen any indication in recent years that it still is?

• Like 1

I've rather sworn off galas after some disappointing experiences. Like MAB, I'd like to know the programme. I can do without seeing the standard Swan Lake, Don Q, R&J, Manon and Onegin pdds. If there were interesting pieces on offer I might go. I've seen most of these dancers already (and quite a few are London based anyway). The exceptions are Aurelie Dupont (I would have thought that she might be otherwise engaged now) and Faruhk Ruzimatov.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 1

I was told personally by Liudmilla Konovalova last year that she would be dancing with Matthew Golding, of course it could change. I also understand from a reliable source that there should be dancers from Dutch National Ballet as well. However, like others, I never believe any casts until the night itself based on past experience. It's going to be a good night by the looks though, so I can't wait.

Unless something has passed me by Maria is still very much a principal with the San Francisco Ballet and splits her time between the two companies.

She was certainly dancing with them the other night: she was mentioned in the reviews for the first night of the recent bill.