BBC Young Dancer 2015

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely forgot this was on tonight. Does anyone know if it is being repeated at all?

Looks as though it's being repeated on Sunday night (aka Monday morning) at 1.55 am, according to my listings guide. 

I loved the programme, and thought all the dancers were amazing, but I was particularly blown away by Jacob and Jason's duet. I think it is interesting to note that Jacob is only 17 - I feel like they didn't really highlight that on the show as he wasn't the youngest, but 17 is still quite young to be that phenomenal!

• Like 4

I didn't really love the hip hop either. I am not sure if it was because I know nothing about it but I found it all a bit "samey".I also think when they wear the baggy clothes it's difficult to appreciate the tecnical stuff they are doing.  However I have to admit to complete ignorance about the genre. I did enjoy the info piece at the start of the programme as I did the contemporary one.

Really loving the programme. So interesting.

• Like 2

I have to say, I found the camera work on the hip-hop final a little annoying. There seemed to be lots of shots of upper body and torso while cutting out the lower body, legs and feet. I'm going to re-watch this on iPlayer because I didn't see the beginning - maybe that was different.

• Like 1

Well although hip hop is not exactly my thing I did find it fascinating to watch although I think it has a limited range of expression and mood for me.

All the dancers were obviously tip top in this field and one or two did try to tell some sort of story.

I thought the first and last dancers were best at trying to show some light and shade so to speak and thought the first dancer who won this section had the most variety of styles of hip hop in his choreography.....sorry names have gone for a minute.

I enjoyed this section much more than I thought I would though.

Talking about the filming....I saw the hip-hop section (need to catch up on iPlayer) & was frustrated at how they zoomed in so much. We missed a lot of intricate footwork I think & also could not appreciate the bodyline & movement about the stage which was important to gain a sense of the pieces. Also, whilst amazing to see some of the wonderful acting skills & facial expressions (esp. from the outstanding 'crumper' - boy, that was new to me!) I felt this perhaps gave us an extra dimension to what the judges were seeing from 'the best seats in the house' & may lead us to question their judging & choice of winner.....I wish they could just plonk a camera in that best top price seat whenever they film dance....they do seem to have limited close-ups in recent RBS live screenings & I truly do get the sensation of sitting in Covent Garden - a rare once every 10 years perhaps treat......Once I have closed my ears to the popcorn munching that is!!

Edited by Peanut68

I think it will be a very interesting final in terms of how the judges score the different genres against each other - almost impossible in my (limited) opinion :o

Well, I'm not entirely sure you can take this competition seriously in any particular aspect.  It is, i think, skewed towards more entertainment value than a genuinely focused consideration of any one particular element of dance a la the Prix de Lausanne or YGAP say.  I have a feeling this is on the BBC schedule primarily to try to balance the success of Strictly Come Dancing much as the competitions vis a vis musical theatre - (i.e., those featuring ALW in association either with his own work or his Company's ultimate theatrical productions) - had been made to measure based on the early success of a competing channel's X Factor.   Happily the latter has now largely gone out of fashion.  Even ALW himself has said that they are past their sell-by date.  I know that many in the profession often looked at the latter with some considerable distaste as did key theatrical training institutions.  Ultimately it seems the public too were able to see through it - or at least became so bored that they let it wisely drop.  I don't think any of this ilk are meant for particularly serious consideration much as I am sure the producers are wanting to emphasise your enjoyment primarily from the variety aspect.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

But at least it is slightly classier than much of what is pushed out in the name of 'variety' & I think the educational intros will actually benefit those interested to give it a go. I think many with an interest in one of the dance genres featured (in my case ballet predominantly) will watch all & may just learn a new appreciation for something out of their comfort zone - I did watching the hip hop/street episode! It is a step in the right direction......wouldn't it be lovely it ratings encourage the BBC & others to feature more dance & maybe even televise some of the high brow professional competitions such as the Prix de Lausanne in future years! 

Just caught up with the hip hoppers. I really like the intro section at the start which describes the section. I know very little about hip hop and have gradually picked up little bits over the last few years, so was nice to have it briefly explained. Hip hop seems a very introverted form of self expression when done individually, and it was interesting to hear the judges say they were wanting to see performance. The dance groups such as Diversity are so good at projection and telling a story, I think the individuals have a hard job to do when they don't have others to bounce off.

As for this not being a serious competition, I'm sure those taking part feel it is and there are certainly many top dance names putting their time into it. Time will tell if the format works but I don't feel it is in any way similar to X Factor et al.

• Like 2

Well, I'm not entirely sure you can take this competition seriously in any particular aspect.  It is, i think, skewed towards more entertainment value than a genuinely focused consideration of any one particular element of dance a la the Prix de Lausanne or YGAP say. 

I think it is being taken seriously, in much the same way as the BBC Young Musician competition is taken seriously. It is on BBC4 after all!

It's certainly not in the same mould at the current rash of TV 'talent shows' we have come to expect from the main channels - no Celebs on the panel, no tear-stained family back-stories, no phone votes, no tabloid sensationalism - just exceptionally talented dancers at the top of their game in the various categories and judges expert in their field.

• Like 3

Yes what I like about it is its comparative quietness!! No hysterically screaming fans etc. So has the same feel about it as the Young Musician of the Year.....pretty tastefully presented in my view.

• Like 1

I think it is being taken seriously, in much the same way as the BBC Young Musician competition is taken seriously. It is on BBC4 after all!

It's certainly not in the same mould at the current rash of TV 'talent shows' we have come to expect from the main channels - no Celebs on the panel, no tear-stained family back-stories, no phone votes, no tabloid sensationalism - just exceptionally talented dancers at the top of their game in the various categories and judges expert in their field.

Well, that is refreshing to hear.  I have only I must confess seen the first one and enjoyed the way it was presented.  That said - and the point I was hurriedly trying to make - is that the prize itself - given that it is for ALL DANCE - must be seen - I think - in its intent as being 'general' in itself as opposed to specific ...  Correct me if I am wrong but the BBC Musician of the Year such as it is presented on BBC4 is pretty well concentrated on 'classical musicians' isn't it?  (This is a question.)  I may be wrong as I fear I have not seen it for some time now.  Perhaps now it has different categories, (e.g., folk, western, pop, rock, etc.)  Certainly the Cardiff Singer of the Year Award - also shown on BBC4 - is for singers of operatic or lieder fare only.  It is in this way I think the dance competition would be different from those certainly.  That is what I was trying to reference in terms of 'variety'.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Well yes, there are other styles of dance they could perhaps include in the future - tap for instance - and it was interesting to see the hip-hop programme because it covered so many different genres under the hip-hop umbrella (not my personal cup of tea, but I still managed to pick the winner!).

Incidentally, it would be quite fun to see electric guitar and rock drumming in Young Musician wouldn't it?!!

Just caught up on the second episode and really enjoyed it. I had no previous knowledge of Hip Hop but what struck me about all the dancers in the programme was the same thing that strikes me about a lot of young people who dance; that they [for the most part] come across as being hard working,decent,well mannered young people. Those qualities will stand them in good stead for the future.

• Like 2

I love all genres of dance but I have to say I wasn't in awe of any of the hip hop/street dancers.  I also found them a bit samey and I agree the camera work was dreadful so we did miss a lot of the intricate work.  I can't see them reaching the top three in the final.   Can't wait for next week it should be fabulous! 

Just caught up on the first two episodes and really enjoyed them both. The camera work on the hip hop final left a lot to be desired and I do think this detracted from the competitors performances.

Unlike others who have commented I was in awe of the hip hop finalists and I know just how technically difficult some of their moves are as my DD was a competitive street dancer so I've probably had more exposure to this particular genre than a lot of forum members.

Harry Barnes was a worthy winner and I look forward to seeing his performance in the grand final, however I do think that Jacob will be hard to beat as he's such an incredible dancer.

• Like 1

Just finished watching this weeks. I found this the most difficult to select a winner from because they all had something special but perhaps the girl who won.....who I think was the only one going on to actually study Dance ....was brave in her final duet to take the style and give it a more contemporary feel.

I thought the best story teller was the first dancer and the second dancer had very fluid arms and hands.

When you go to an Indian Dance Recital I think the feet come across much more loudly and expressively ....especially in Kathak style ...which I think the television missed a bit.

It will be interesting to see these dancers live next Saturday and am beginning to wonder who the wild cards might be!!

So far for me this would be the second or last Indian Dancer and Connor from the Contemporary category.

However the ballet yet to come .....so looking forward to this now .....and should be a bit easier to judge ....but it can be very difficult when they are all so good rather like the Young Musician ...just occasionally somebody really stands out above the others but not every year.

Wow the ballet final has been fantastic.....all dancers future stars truly phenomenal for their age. I certainly felt safe in all their hands but Archie Sullivan won my heart. I even clapped and cheered his second solo quite automatically which I could watch again and again!

But I also loved Jenny Hackwell I thought she was a delightful performer and worthy of the second wild card as well as Connor(who I'm very glad got one of the places)

It's nice to see so many male dancers in this final but I thought another female place was deserved as they were all pretty much evenly talented especially from the Indian classical and ballet sections.

Anyway should be very interesting to see live tomorrow and what that brings across looking forward to it now .....would be great to see a little of the other dancers perhaps while the judges are deliberating but let's see

As I'm a bit ballet biassed I say Archie to win but either of the contemporary would be fine as well.

Interesting to see if the live performances change my mind!

• Like 2

I agree with you Lin, I thought Archie was fantastic and loved his second solo - really showed his character and great technique. And like you, would have loved to see a ballet girl as a wild card. Connor a very well deserved place. So looking forward to tomorrow night live!

• Like 2