Living at The Hammond

Ballet4Boyz

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the MDS is strictly for Classical ballet anymore as I'm sure when I last read the requirements on the MDS website it says " dance" where it used to say "classical ballet" happy to be corrected though .

Usually everyone who attends finals will be offered a bursary if not successful in bagging an MDS.

Oh ok that's interesting to know thank you Hairbelles!

Another question, sorry!! But does anyone know what the older years do whilst year 7&8 are doing the NVR test on audition day? As on website it only says the test is for the year 7&8 so that would leave an hour for the year 9&10's with nothing tI do? Thanks

DD got to watch a class.

Edited by shygirlsmum

Just received our "Oliver" DVD !! What a lovely reminder of a fabulous production, the amazing standard of teaching and the incredibly talented students at The Hammond. :)

Haven't had chance to watch ours yet but can't wait to watch it again  :wub:

• Like 2

I think we all have heard lots of truths, half truths & some out & out lies over the years about offers of places, offers of funding, offers of this & that as a school really wanted someone....even stories of top schools engaging in what sounded like a bidding war to 'win' a child!!! Hmmmmm.....all sounds to me like the drama has got to some of us & serious doses of salt may be needed whenever hearing about audition results! Frankly it is distasteful (not to mention very bad form & as pointed out by others contravenes most schools policies) to discuss individuals offers/awards.... Suffice to say those of us whose kids are lucky enough (& who have worked so hard too) to be offered places should be able to feel rightly proud. This should be regardless of whether a place taken up is to be paid for by family, friends, government funding, school bursaries, philanthropists, crowd funding, selling the family silver etc etc etc. the money aspect is no ones business but the individual families & schools concerned. I truly hate this unspoken competition that seems to exist....not only to be offered places, but funded places & then even to what level!! This kid got offered more money that that kid....yuck. Even heard a 'rumour' that a UK kid has been offered a 100% scholarship to join a top lower school from first round auditions.....again, hmmmm....really???? As this is a school which is to a large degree publicly funded I would've thought that very tight audits are conducted. As all those offered places (UK residents certainly....will not comment if current EU included) have the opportunity to be assessed for MDS - the value of which is determined by (rigorous?) means testing then surely this offer would be financially unnecessary? & if it is just a sweetener to 'get first dibs' on super tallented child then it would surely be woeful misuse of either public money (& unfair if other forms of funding are not public knowledge) & in flagrant disregard for own schools published selection policies....but of course, this could all boil down to porkie pies, economy of the truth, mind games, competitive boasting etc etc. Again, yuck.

• Like 7

I think I must be totally naive, it actually didn't occur to me that anyone would lie about an offer. If my DD did that I would be genuinely mortified, surely most things would be verifiable eventually or am I again being a bit thick?

I have found it is usually the parents who say misleading things and is verified by the DCs telling each other the truth .

• Like 2

I think there is a lot of misinformation spread by people putting an overly positive spin on events. They're not necessarily lying just subconsciously bigging it up - some people are extremely unsubjective about their own children.

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 3

For the Hammond it used to be stated on funding letters that if it was discussed elsewhere funding could be withdrawn. I agree with this as it stops children feeling different or less able than others and bottom line is what does it have to do with anyone else. X

• Like 3

But then the Hammond completely goes against their own policy by making it very clear to all MDS parents who the other MDS recipients are. We used to receive all our MDS-related emails with the email addresses of the other MDS parents clearly in the 'To' field - not blind copied as we all should have been.

But then the Hammond completely goes against their own policy by making it very clear to all MDS parents who the other MDS recipients are. We used to receive all our MDS-related emails with the email addresses of the other MDS parents clearly in the 'To' field - not blind copied as we all should have been.

Oh dear! Rather important anything confidential is kept that way.....Hands up though to being guilty of that one & CCing rather than BCCing....but luckily only about some PTA timing thing or other - not money :unsure:

Just to add to my first post on this......same can happen in any area of schooling/training/hobbies....there will always be talk of over inflated grammar test scores/SATS results/placement on gifted & talented/offers of county places/offers of free training etc etc etc

Anyone guilty knows the truth themselves & if it is parents - poor kids....they must just cringe.

Truth will always out....maybe not the details (& lets's face it, who really cares?) but in terms of the long term result with the achievements & happiness of the kids involved being the true test of success! Now I'll stop pontificating & try to get back to being more PV in my postings..... :) 

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 2

The amount received is income related but the initial awarding is based on talent. Some awarded MDS may find in the end income too high to amount to much or any fees 'subsidy' - hence some schools ask finance Q before finals I presume. It would be so much better if all the schools accredited in the MDS scheme could offer it to all the year 7 places (& any replacements in older groups). Again, once forms filled in then amounts will vary but at least once passed finals, the money hurdle is cleared too....in an ideal world....sigh

• Like 1

My friends dd has been offered a place for a higher year and she received no info on MDS either but had assumed that it was because the older ones don't get recalled to funding audition, but maybe they don't give info to anyone before receiving the deposit and financial statement??

I've just dropped her a quick message and she said that when her dd got offered a place in year 8 the letter did say that audition dates for MDS recall audition would be sent out upon receipt of registration fee.....so maybe they have changed their offer letter and removed the mention of funding recall?? I would call the school and ask. Hope this helps :)