Living at The Hammond

Ballet4Boyz

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi balletmum20 she's year 7 I've just spoken to my DD she's still very upset, which I am. The staff have spoken to everyone but still the items haven't turned up. It started Friday with her perfume going missing and tonight her MP3.

I'm sorry to hear this BalletAims.  My advice would be to bring this to the attention of the school staff, by email.  A paper trail, with matters like this, can be very useful and also show the little so and so's doing this that your DD is no pushover.  

It also means that the school has to act.

Edited by angel

I would echo the advice about a paper trail. I've found out tonight that it's incredibly useful (when a friend is told that something has never happened before but you have an email if you complaining about the same issue with the exact same people 3 years previous) - not with dds school I hasten to add but ds's academic school.

Balletaims that's awful, I know there have been issues at school, where the year 7s have had there bags emptied, but did not think there were issues at the house, what year is you did in?

Having had DC in three vocational schools, one at state school and another at a top public school, I think it is important to say that this type of behaviour is not confined to the Hammond unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear this BalletAims , we've had very similar issues with things going missing which DS swears blind were in his bag!! He also had his dance bag taken for 24hrs with all his kit in ..... for it to 'reappear' on its own !! He's had his school bag put in the shower too !!! So we know how you are feeling & it's very upsetting. We sent detailed emails with every incident of bullying and asked Mrs Lawn to 'log' them. She raised the issues with school & the individuals concerned and it has finally seemed to have stopped (hopefully for good) . Hopefully this phase for your DD will stop soon too .......she's such a lovely girl.

We've come to the conclusion that it sadly happens in all schools, but in our experience you have to "keep acting on it & report everything", asking the details to be logged !!

Hope it gets sorted out quickly xxx

• Like 1

Regarding auditioning if you are likely to be assessed out - by the time DS was in year 9, we had a fairly good idea that this was a distinct possibility.  And as our DS wasn't happy where he was it seemed like a good time to look anyway.

We wrote a very polite letter to the school, explaining that we would like to explore our options (this was in October/November).  The speed with which permission was granted was another indication he wasn't going to make it through to year 10!  It took a lot of the strain away as there was no need to be secretive, feign illness, etc etc ...  

When he was assessed out the Director actually wrote to other schools on our son's behalf stating that he was an exceptional dancer, just not necessarily built for ballet.  Ironic that his first professional role has been a year in a classical company, but he is a far better dancer for his training elsewhere, and having had a great time in another school.

All I am saying is for us, honesty is the best policy.  You may not get the result you want, but the mental strain of breaking rules and going behind people's backs is, for me, best avoided wherever possible. 

• Like 6

Stracey - one point to note is that unlike most of the other schools Hammond assessments are held in the autumn term (this week in fact) & you are informed of the results before Christmas. If there are concerns you are invited to a meeting to discuss options. There are also options for your child to continue at the school but as a drama or music student if that is appropriate.

Other schools don't have their assessments until the spring term (I think February half term is a common time to get results) so they have less time to look at other options.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight

• 2 weeks later...

Can any 'experienced ' Hammond parents advise me as to whether this week's complete lack of academic or dance lessons is repeated at other times in the year? I am somewhat shocked and dismayed tbh. I had (naively) assumed that the week would be tailored in proportion to involvement in Oliver. While I realise that performance experience is valuable I think, for classical dancers at least, the week could've been better spent. ????

• Like 2

Hi SarahW as it's their 100 years celebration so this is very unusual week, my dd is also def more classical but has enjoyed this week. I can't wait to go and watch tomorrow, she also has her assessments starting on Monday she's in year 9 she seems ok about it but you can't help to worry for them. Im not sure if any more performances will happen until the end of the term year. It would be lovely if they put on a ballet as I miss watching her dance ???? I'm sure they will catch up on the academics and dance they have missed

• Like 1

Went to see it last night ..... A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !!

Some seriously talented performers with some "West End" worthy performances !!

It may not tick all the boxes for the students with a more classical leaning - but the dance production in the Summer term should be something for them (& us) to look forward to !! It's all experience of performing at the end of the day & the cast really looked like they thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well done everyone !!

• Like 3

Totally agree B4b! We were speachless on Thur night. Trully amazing! Can't wait for tonights performance. Our dd is totally ballet ballet ballet and nothing but ballet but to see her on that stage, completely out of her confort zone having an absolute ball. She has been buzzing all week, it might not be ballet but shes still learning how to perform on a stage with a full cast of people. All skills they all need to perform no matter what! Thank you Hammond for making my dd a very happy girly!!

• Like 3

I'm on my way now. Dd is in Paddington cast so her grandparents went last night & we are going this afternoon. It's been a complicated week as DS was in his school show too.

But to answer the question. They havnt done a whole school musical for many years. The lower school musical is usually bi-annual at the end of the Spring term but for the last 4 years were yrs 9-11 only & I think optional (not sure if phantom was optional as they needed dancers en pointe for that one)

Summer production they go off timetable for two weeks. They have daily class which I guess is a bit in the format of company class, then rehearse. Not much different to my ds's academic school who have activity week/prize giving/lots of non timetable stuff.

Dd is injured at the moment but luckily for her she has a small singing role in Oliver so is still able to take part. She's an MT girl through & through & has been disappointed in the lack of previous opportunities to take part in a musical.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight

Very envious of you all watching as I would love to have seen the show, but sadly the date change from the originally published dates means that we are away celebrating dh''s big birthday. Please give dd a big clap from me and enjoy the show ????

Edited by Karen
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...