Living at The Hammond

Ballet4Boyz

Do most of the dance students take the extra drama class ? Our DS would like to do it at some point - but we weren't sure if it would be extra pressure for him on top of just coping with a new school. Having said that, we wouldn't want him to feel left out if all/most of the students take the extra drama from the beginning. Would be grateful for any thoughts/advice.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They will get a weekly drama class by the way. The extra lessons are purely 1:1 (you can also share a lesson) tovwork on LAMDA exams.

Money was tight for us especially during dds 1st year as we had to pay a whole terms fees in lieu at her old school & the extra drama lessons were a lot more expensive than we had been paying before (12.50 per half hour rather than £19) hence another reason that she didn't do them at first.

Both my dds didn't have extra drama at all but both had a singing lesson. In our time at the school most of my dds year had a singing or musical instruments lesson . They also both had a lot of singing and choir timetabled into the week so if it had been an option at the time for elder dd we may well have chosen a drama lesson as she wasn't on MDS

If it's feasible maybe your DS can wait and see how he copes with school and boarding, also is he keen to do the extra lessons ?

Just changing the subject slightly can anyone shed some light on a couple of events at The Hammond please?

Is the open morning in October for all parents (existing & prospective) to attend & what actually happens - are we lucky enough to watch the students perform ?

Secondly - the infamous carol concert - what time of day does it usually take place & do we need to buy tickets ??

I know this seems a little early to enquire about, but my job requires plenty of notice for time off - not to mention shift patterns of my partner & another child at a different school to juggle. ????

Thank you ????

The open morning is for current parents and prospective students/parents. I don't think there is a performance as such, but you do get the opportunity to view classes.

I think the carol service started at around 2pm last year, you don't need tickets but I think we were advised to get there early as it is very popular! ????

Pretty much what dancing pickles said

The open morning you can choose to either take a guided tour around the school visiting both academic & vocational classes or you can find out what your child will be doing (last year dd did ballet, singing & French) & just watch their classes.

Carol service is open to everyone free entry. Starts around 2pm. You queue round the block at the cathedral. It's always on the last day of term. When it ends you take your child home (you need to have collected their stuff from the boarding house beforehand)

Feeling a pang of sadness at the mention of the Carol service Ballet4Boyz it was my absolute favourite event of the school calendar.

Im at a bit of a loose end this year as I have the feeling I should be packing bags and sewing tags etc

Good Luck to all the new parents and DCs .

• Like 2

Ahhh Hairbelles - I can understand how the school must become such a way of life - must be really sad in a way when it comes to an end. I'm presuming your daughters have left & moving forward with their lives . ????

You could always still go to the carol concert - must admit I'm really looking forward to it as I love anything associated with Christmas & have seen a past performance on YouTube which was was just lovely & took my breath away. The students were amazing.Maybe your girls were among them ????????????

On another note - can anyone confirm that it's 5pm the earliest we can arrive at the boarding house on the 7th ? - and will they need a packed lunch ? I seem to remember that they don't provide an evening meal that day - but maybe I'm mistaken ?

Just wanted to say how welcoming & helpful all the existing Hammond parents are with all the information & advice given to us newbie parents. Really do appreciate it as it helps lessen the worries so much - thank you all ????

• Like 1

Ballet4Boyz, they will need a packed tea. It does say in the parent handbook somewhere. I think it is between  5 and 7.

Just one thing that did nearly catch me out ( overheard a parent saying something about it last year as I was leaving the boarding house, thnk goodness) one of the holidays, just one of them, I think it is Easter?? you have to pick them up really early rather than the normal time. I didn’t find this info anywhere, so was glad to overhear an older parent discussing it, or I would have turned up hours later. Can anyone remember which one it is? I will write it in my diary!

i cant believe how fast this is coming around. Trying to sort out what dd needs for boarding and looks like we will be packing a few times as she seems to have so much stuff packed already and thats without uniform and dancing clothes. 

Last year I was so grateful for the advice & help from a current Hammond parent - it really made making the decision fior DD to go easier & that decision has proved excellent! Good luck to the newbies & ask away! Must also add how fantastic houseparents have been & also help from other parents when the curse of the M6 has made my timing for pick up less than perfect.....A cup of tea put in my shaking hand by houseparent after a really stressful 8 hour drive was just wonderful - esp as I felt so guilty being almost an hour after collection time & so making them late.....& parents have helped with bringing DDs bags to school to save me being late twice - thank you all & look fwd to seeing more of everyone as the years progress!

• Like 4

Must admit, that's our worry ..... being held up in a traffic jam on the way to pick DS up & then being late !! I'm sure it must happen as some parents will no doubt have a long way to travel....... and even if you set off with loads of time to spare - wonder what happens if you break down en route ??

I was also wondering on EXEAT weekends - do we collect our DC from the school or the boarding houses at 4pm & if it's from school - when are we supposed to collect their bags etc from the boarding houses ?? Not sure that makes sense , but hopefully someone will decipher it !! Haha

We are newbies - and yes lots of advise from others on here has been great - thank you

I'm sure its the right decision for my DD but as time getting closer dreading the goodbye - my DD getting a little nervous now .. she s gonna love it and have fab time but worrying about being away from her family .. I'm just reassuring her that she'll be busy and others will feel same :)

• Like 2

"On exeat weekends you collect from school. The children just take a small weekend bag into school with them that day"

Ha - Wishful thinking.....my DD seems to have so much stuff....dance bag, school bag (+ loads of homework which does seem harsh for boarders on exeat weekends when much if it can be spent in the car...) as well as washing & usual clothes!!! Reckon most not needed so hope in time she learns to cut down!!

Usually you can collect stuff from boarding house (left on bed by my DD) then go get them from school....in my experience best to check via email with houseparents rather than relying on accurate timings from my DD!!!

Edited by Peanut68

I am dreading the pick ups too due to the traffic! I finish work at 1 on a Friday and in theory should be at school in just over 2 hours from North Yorkshire but it has always taken 3 hours due to traffic jams! it is a worry if we don't get there for 4pm!  Also on the 7th Sept when the boarders have to be dropped off I don't finish work until 3.30 so we may be a little after 7pm when we get dd there. (I can't take time off work as I work in a school myself).

Edited by Boogalou

A heads up for those who find getting time off work difficult as well (until last year I was unable to attend Friday or Saturday events too). The one Friday a year when at least 1 parent needs to beg for the time off is parents evening as not only do you get to see your child perform you get 1:1 consultations with vocational & academic staff

• Like 3