boys ballet presentation to class

coniger

my DS is doing a presentation on "Boys and Ballet" to his class at school on thursday.  He goes to an all boy school so he is understandably a bit nervous combined with the fact he is only 8

So I was wondering if anyone knew any cool facts about male ballet dancers that he could add to his presentation?

Please help as I'm a hopeless source of ballet information for him!!!

thanks

Con  :)

• Like 1

Well for a start my boys love the fact that when Louis X1V opened his school of Ballet it was strictly men only!

Ladies were not allowed!

Edited to add that the school was the first Ballet school. And hence the fact that many Ballet terms are French. No females allowed to perform Ballet until 20 years later!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

Rio Ferdinand went to ballet and he was awarded a scholarship to Central.

Many rugby players at some point take ballet lessons to improve their game and it has been proven that they are fitter than other athletes.

• Like 3

National Diving Squads all over the World have introduced Ballet training into their programmes.

Ds and I and a great time when invited by our local diving team to introduce Ballet to them.

And the diving instructors were in awe of ds and how high he could jump.

Back to rugby, several of my students (male and female) have shown a flair for rugby. In fact when one PE teacher learnt that one of my male students did Ballet he said in front of the entire year that he fully expected him to be the best player. He was proved right!

Wish more PE teachers were as enlightened!

• Like 6

This is quite long but even if your ds can't use it as part of the presentation, he may enjoy watching it - Edward Watson and Gary Avis rehearsing swordfighting from Romeo & Juliet, watched by Upper School male students:

• Like 3

thanks to everyone who helped.  We gathered everyones suggestions together including video and he went off to school very happy!  He had great fun last night learning how to pronounce Baryshnikov and Sergei Polunin (sp) amongst others!

• Like 3

Update! Thank you for all the info.  He did his presentation, showed a video of one of his festival dancers and then got on a table and showed them the positions from first to fifth.  He said everyone liked it and he got a school commendation for his efforts!  His presentation focused on how strong boys have to be to do ballet and how it helped other sports.

thank you everyone!

Con

• Like 15