London Junior Ballet Audition

Petalviolet

Studios looked great and we had a cheeky sneaky peak at what I imagine were the older students through the window, who looked amazing but DD came out deflated and couldn't really describe what she'd done other than different to Tring? There were older and much more advanced girls in her group and it was more mixed in terms of boy/girl ratio (only slightly though). I was surprised as I naively thought all associate auditions would be pretty similar but that shows how much I know doesn't it!! Of course different school will do things their way, have their own methods and requirements.

We quickly received a NO via email even though the previous correspondence said we would find out on May 17th and by letter (confirmed by a lady at the audition too) so I wondered if they had already discounted DD from the photos sent by application as such a quick rejection? But looking here other people have had a yes/no on the day so perhaps maybe not? I guess today wasn't her day. Luckily she was fine and I'm glad we've got her first no out of the way and not crumbled.

I can see why it can be so frustrating with no feedback you are left to speculate but as soon as she came out I could tell just from her reaction. Anyway- if anyone else was there I hope it went better and it looked like a fun place to dance and very well regarded.

• Like 2

Petalviolet you have me in stitches again! Hope you are taking notes for your first novel.......

Glad your dd took the 'no' ok. You have a very healthy attitude which should help you deal with it all. Wish I was like that!!

• Like 2

Thank you! Think people need to hear the No's and well as the Yes's as it's all such a subjective mystery!!!!

Hi Petalviolet my dd auditioned quite a few years ago now, possibily 6 years and received a yes email the next day... I certainly don't think they would of dismissed your dd from photographs... The standards are incredibly high well done to your dd for taking it on the chin... Onwards and upwards!!!

c4d :) :)

• Like 1

Hi Petal Violet,

MY DS was there yesterday. He was in the 1pm group.  He got a yes email.  I wanted to write though as he tried last september and got a very quick no (felt like almost before we left the building!!!)  In the last 8 months he has worked incredibly hard and tried again yesterday and he was accepted!  It might be worth trying again in September.

PS MY DS's photos this time were DREADFUL so I don't think the photos came into it 

:)

• Like 3

Petalviolet - you are right, it is as useful to hear of no's as well as yes's (makes us all feel a little better about our own DC's no's!)....& even more useful to learn about doughnut etiquette in Chiswick!! Hillarious....who ever thought of cutting open to serve? Maybe he has watched too many Bake-offs & see's every day as the bake-off challenge section....gotta show Mary...sorry, the customer...how much jam/custard is inside!! :D

• Like 2

I will make a serious post in a minute and I do realise I mention food a lot on this BALLET forum ...but isn't the whole point of a doughnut the investigative procedure by which you eat it? Now which side is the jammy side.....could be here...could be there....if I bite this end do I risk jam expulsion where I can't see it? There an element of danger to every doughnut and he robbed me.

It was nicely warmed though.

• Like 8

Hi Petal Violet,

MY DS was there yesterday. He was in the 1pm group.  He got a yes email.  I wanted to write though as he tried last september and got a very quick no (felt like almost before we left the building!!!)  In the last 8 months he has worked incredibly hard and tried again yesterday and he was accepted!  It might be worth trying again in September.

PS MY DS's photos this time were DREADFUL so I don't think the photos came into it 

:)

Oh lord after reading your experience I had to find out what time our no email was sent and would you believe it- but an hour after we left the building that was winging it's way to us? Half of me wants to laugh as there was someone stationed by the door on a laptop which seemed like an odd and noisy place to do work....but maybe they were just checking we had left the building first....got down the end of the road....and hit send! Hahahagahaha oh the humiliation! You want to know....you hate to know.....it's too slow.....it's too QUICK! Oh my poor wee one skipping down the corridor only to be booted out... LJB HARSH.

WELL DONE for the Yes's as you have to toughen up don't you! Get knocked down, and right back up so particularly Coniger your son must be so pleased xx

• Like 2

Petalviolet you have me in stitches again! Hope you are taking notes for your first novel.......

Glad your dd took the 'no' ok. You have a very healthy attitude which should help you deal with it all. Wish I was like that!!

Thank you! That's lovely. I'm not sure but I think it's probably just my ignorance that saves me...I just bumble into this without any idea of the reality of what it's like to have a serious investment, after all DD is only very little. Had she been upset I would have been in bits and that's a hurdle yet to come. We have to cross these bridges..first yes..first no....first no when you really wanted a yes.....first yes when you were sure it was a no..... You must have all been there!

• Like 1

Now...getting back to the far more long-lasting subject (doughnuts will be with us long after our DC's have fledged the nest onto stages across the world.... or not...). Nicely warmed doughnut? I am deeply suspicious. Methinks he has defrosted a frozen doughnut in the microwave & the reason for cutting in half was to check it was thawed all the way through!! I think this café needs naming & shaming for blatant doughnut abuse!!

• Like 5

Thank you! That's lovely. I'm not sure but I think it's probably just my ignorance that saves me...I just bumble into this without any idea of the reality of what it's like to have a serious investment, after all DD is only very little. Had she been upset I would have been in bits and that's a hurdle yet to come. We have to cross these bridges..first yes..first no....first no when you really wanted a yes.....first yes when you were sure it was a no..... You must have all been there!

Been here, there, and everywhere in between on this crazy ballet journey! You're in good company. :-)

• Like 4

Just to say for benefit of anyone thinking of auditioning in future and reading this thread LJB aren't really harsh! A lovely lady with a clipboard even gave DD a little pep talk before she went in and I think took the time to talk to a few people. If their classes didn't clash with Tring we wouldn't give a second thought to applying again next year. Go for it!

• Like 4

I suspect we have minds working the same way....perhaps we could start a rating system for cafes near dance schools? Can recommend Café Niche near Sadlers Wells.....they let me nurse one coffee for hours when we had time to kill before the wonderful Ann Maguire Gala recently! I sadly did not have enough money for a cake...but had I am I sure there would've been no cake butchery or faking fresh there!

BTW - I am so gonna have to go get a doughnut at some point today.... :o

• Like 2

Southerndancemum have you tried YDA Associates in Shepherds Bush as that's a Saturday? You probably have but thought I'd mention. It's still quite a trot for us and we have an audition next Sunday purely for the experience again. I will report back on cake/biscuit findings of course.

• Like 2

Southerndancemum have you tried YDA Associates in Shepherds Bush as that's a Saturday? You probably have but thought I'd mention. It's still quite a trot for us and we have an audition next Sunday purely for the experience again. I will report back on cake/biscuit findings of course.

oooo no we havent looked at that one!  thank you!

I look forward to your updates ;)  I did think of you yesterday at Tring when i watched the children descend on the bourbons at break!

Hi Southerndancemum - we do YDA in Shepherds bush on Saturday's. It's very good, 3 hours, barre and centre work, body conditioning, and character every week. DD started there just before Christmas. PM if you want to ask anything.

Hi Southerndancemum - we do YDA in Shepherds bush on Saturday's. It's very good, 3 hours, barre and centre work, body conditioning, and character every week. DD started there just before Christmas. PM if you want to ask anything.

And she is dancing in choreography competition there are running in June, and gets to meet Darcey Bussell, who is judging, so this has just become the BEST THING EVER, as far as she is concerned.

• Like 1

oooo no we havent looked at that one!  thank you!

I look forward to your updates ;)  I did think of you yesterday at Tring when i watched the children descend on the bourbons at break!

So that's where the bourbons were. I was at a teachers conference at Tring yesterday and we just got boring shortbread!

(The conference was good though!)

• Like 4