While their star dancer (Irina Kolesnikova) is worth seeing, the SPBT itself has a very dated feel.

I am a little surprised that Vadim Muntagirov wants to guest with them in this country.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur with Beryl's assessment based on past experience, although I haven't seen them for probably a decade now.  Elena Glurdjidze used to be one of their principals, if that's anything to go by :)  I hope they haven't in the meantime turned into a "backing group" for Kolesnikova.

They will also be touring Japan this September with Muntagirov and Rodkin. There are a couple of DVDs available and the company is not bad at all. Some of the soloists in the recording of Swan Lake have moved to Mikhailovsky, and Kolesnikova is definitely worth seeing.

There is one substantial piece of scenery at the back for Carmina in the final moments (the big flashing thing) otherwise IIRC not too much.

Good to know. Never having seen Carmina and being puzzled why those stall seats were sold cheap, I assumed it must be scenery.

And reading the rest of the thread, I'm starting to feel that I might want some Bayadere and Swanlake tickets as well. This ballet malarkey is very very addictive. I mourn the days where I spend my evenings simply staring at walls, watching dvd box sets or meeting friends in pubs.

• Like 2

I saw StPBT in Paris at the weekend in the Lavrovsky Romeo and Juliet and the dancing was very good.  Muntagirov and Rodkin had both been dancing earlier in the week and I believe both are regular guests with the company.

The production values are high with well designed sets and costumes rather than the old tat certain touring companies present.  The weak link is the orchestra that seems to play well or badly according to their mood, for the record they played badly last Friday but very well on Saturday.

Apart from Kolesnikova there are two other excellent female dancers, Anna Samostrelova and Ludmila Mizinova.  In the past the company has been a springboard for a number of dancers that have gone on to other companies, such as the Kirov, ENB, Dutch National, Mikhailovsky and Eifman.   When I went to see R&J last year I saw Anna Samostrelova as Juliet and thought her better than most of the Kirov girls I've seen in the work, so no, I wouldn't say they are just Irina's backing group.

• Like 3

It now appears that there is some guidance on the casting for the Australian Ballet's LA SYLPHIDE at the Coliseum - including a very exciting guest appearance by a young RB star in the making:

Casting includes exciting new stars; third generation of Royal Danish Bournonville trained, Tara and Luke Schaufuss, The Royal Ballet’s Francesca Hayward and QLB’s Yanela Piñera.

Is anyone here (apart from myself) a little miffed at the fact that NOW Ms. Guillem will be having another farewell outing in London at the Coliseum - LIFE IN PROGRESS (28.7-2.8.15) wherein she will give - or so it is reported - her final London performance?  (Here was I - after reading the initial SW blurb and all the attendant publicity surrounding it in the announcement of the SW season - with special articles by J. Mackrell, etc., - that the earlier SW stint would, in fact, represent her final London bow.  And there was I buying a second ticket for that seemingly FINAL performance to be there for all the emotional hoopla.  Seems - yet again - you can't always believe what you read.  More fool me.  Sadly I won't be buying a ticket for the Coliseum outing [£90 - £15; balcony now open].  Once bitten and all that.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

I can find no reference to the casting for La Sylphide on the ENO website. Can anyone provide a link, please?

It's in the event information, capybara.  Ref here:  Scroll down the page.  It is in the second paragraph (such as I quoted above in item #42).  No specific dates for casting are referenced on the ENO website that I can see.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

It looks as if we are all looking for some ballet in August to look forward to! perhaps missing the ROH August residency by Bolshoi or Marinsky.

Is Muntagirov dancing both nights with SPBT? Tempted to lash out on a ticket with a good view as I haven't seen as much of him this year as I might have hoped at ROH...

Can anyone tell me about the Ballets de Monte-Carlo and the R&J at Coliseum. Has anyone seen them?

I thought someone said it was the same R&J that Northern Ballet are currently doing - or did I misunderstand that? 

Muntagirov will partner Kolesnikova in Swan Lake, her partner in Bayadere will be Denis Rodkin.

Have only seen the Monte Carlo company once and that was years ago when they appeared at Sadlers Wells, thought they were rather good as a smaller company at the time.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me about the Ballets de Monte-Carlo and the R&J at Coliseum. Has anyone seen them?

They have just been in Japan for their tour performing Maillot's LAC (Swan Lake). Le Ballet de Monte-Carlo is fabulous, most dancers are very tall and gorgeous, some are from classical companies such as Pacific North West Ballet, and they are both good in classic technique and dramatic expression. I strongly recommend to see them. 

As for Maillot's R & J, it is very modern but a beautiful production and as mentioned above, danced by quite many companies such as Pacific North West Ballet, Northern Ballet, National Ballet of Korea. 

Muntagirov will partner Kolesnikova in Swan Lake, her partner in Bayadere will be Denis Rodkin.

Is that for both nights MAB?

Always lovely to see Muntagirov, and I'll be interested to see Denis Rodkin live as well - he was pretty impressive in the Bolshoi's Swan Lake live screen, despite a rather turgid production.

Thank you. I wonder how soon the casting for specific dates will be publish

My friend, Janette Mulligan (former ENB principal and mother of Tara Schaufuss who is half-sister to Luke) performs the mimed role of Madge for Queensland Ballet.  Casting for London has not been finailsed but she says she will let me know when it is.  If I have her permission to do so, I will certainly share it here.

With regard to St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre's "Swan Lake", having seen it in Paris last year, it is a standard production with some rather over-complicated choreography for the company soloists which does not do them any favours.  It did appear to me that the company was a 'backing group' for the ballerina in this particular ballet and I would not rush to see it again.  However, I am sure Muntagirov, as always, will be worth the price of the ticket although sadly there is no Act I solo for him in this production.

It did appear to me that the company was a 'backing group' for the ballerina in this particular ballet and I would not rush to see it again. 

I think that is a bit harsh, have you ever actually seen Anna Samostrelova or Ludmila Mizinova in leading roles?

I think that is a bit harsh, have you ever actually seen Anna Samostrelova or Ludmila Mizinova in leading roles?

Mab, I was not criticising the company dancers but the production itself and it is the production that I would not rush to see again.  Sorry if that was not clear. 

In answer to some earlier musings as to who will dance with Kolesnikova, she will dance Swan Lake with Muntagirov and Bayadere with Denis Rodkin.

According to a poster seen on the Underground today, Swan Lake is now being given on the 17th and 18th August as well. But it says that only the 20th and 21st feature Muntagirov. :-)

As yet, there is no sign of the two new dates on the ENO/Coli website.

Edited by capybara

Was just going to post this, it's on the Coliseum website now, Alastair Marriott's Zeitgeist for Natalia Osipova and Edward Watson which is new, Marcelo Gomes' Tristesse for 4 men, and Pita's Facada, seen last year in Solo for Two, for Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev! 17th and 18th July 7.30pm.

Here's the full description ... The programme also includes the wonderful Joaquin De Luz - and that has just sold me a ticket  ... This is the programme that Vasiliev was talking about in his LBC interview.

This summer’s hot dance ticket will be Ardani 25 Dance Gala at the London Coliseum, presented by impresario Sergei Danilian. The evening features an all-star line-up which includes Natalia Osipova, Edward Watson, Ivan Vasiliev and Marcelo Gomes.

The programme will feature three exciting and diverse contemporary pieces, opening with the UK Premiere of Zeitgeist, created for Royal Ballet partners Natalia Osipova and Edward Watson. Set to Philip Glass’s Violin Concerto, the work is choreographed by Alastair Marriott and will feature other members of the Royal Ballet Marcelino Sambé, Tomáš Mock, Donald Thom. Zeitgeist will have its world premiere at Ardani 25 Dance Gala and will be included on tour as part of the Solo for Two Project. Tristesse is created by acclaimed dancer and choreographer Marcelo Gomes, who took his inspiration from French poet Paul Éluard. Gomes will perform in the UK Premiere of his piece along with Denis Matvienko, Joaquín De Luz and Friedemann Vogel. Tristesse was originally created for Kings of the Dance in December 2014. Finishing the bill is Arthur Pita’s Facada, which was seen at the London Coliseum in Solo for Two in August 2014. Pita adapted the piece especially for Osipova and Vasiliev, from his original piece God’s Garden. Original music and traditional fado will be played live by Frank Moon.

This production is performed to a specially conceived and mastered soundtrack.

The programme will feature three exciting and diverse contemporary pieces, opening with the UK Premiere of Zeitgeist, created for Royal Ballet partners Natalia Osipova and Edward Watson. Set to Philip Glass’s Violin Concerto, the work is choreographed by Alastair Marriott and will feature other members of the Royal Ballet Marcelino Sambé, Tomáš Mock, Donald Thom. Zeitgeist will have its world premiere at Ardani 25 Dance Gala and will be included on tour as part of the Solo for Two Project. 

That's all very confusing, since the Solo for Two project was, as its name suggests, a two-hander, and with Osipova and Vasiliev. :unsure:

That's all very confusing, since the Solo for Two project was, as its name suggests, a two-hander, and with Osipova and Vasiliev. :unsure:

I think the point is, Alison - and I may be wrong - but they have already sold tickets at City Center in NYC under that title (i.e., Solo for Two) but knew (quite rightly in my estimation) that they had to fill the programme out with perhaps more substantive fare.  Who knows, perhaps some of these items will again show up in Osipova's promised programme at SW next summer.  Agree title is now misleading. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

If it is anything like last year's Solo for Two I'll give it a miss, the only draw for me would be Vogel, De Luz and Gomes but I'd rather see Gomes in The Car Man.  I fear this will be another waste of talent like Solo for Two which was crackers.  

• Like 1