Royal Ballet 2014/15 Period 2 Casting

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling there was a time when he was injured when he wasn't scheduled at the ROH, because I'm sure we were wondering if he'd recover in time for his scheduled performances with the RB, but I can't remember when that was now, maybe about 5 years ago?  Think it might have been Romeo, pretty sure it was with Rojo, anyway.

Dancers often dance through tendinitis and such.  Knowing when to do so or not to, is part of becoming an experienced dancer.  

Personally I suffered a torn or badly pulled calf muscle (not able to put heel down walking,  nothing but ends of toes on the floor to get to doctor.  I had a premiere three weeks later, and he promised I would be back - and I was, just no pointe shoes until the day before the premiere!   No bad after effects either.

Oh yes, I fractured a toe once, but danced through Sugar Plum as no understudy in the building.  Danced full Swan Lake three weeks later, then couple of weeks rest and it was Aurora.  It was only really running that was difficult in that instance.

I have never taken painkillers or anti inflammatories, and saw a physio once only besides the above calf injury, for pain in the groin which I discovered came from my back, and like many aches and pains, recovered after carefully reviewing my placement and the way I was working by doing a slow class in front of the mirror.

In a twenty year career, I only ever missed two performances through tendinitis, and one performance out of six during the same week, as some growth on my heel was badly inflamed and was very painful with any kind of shoes one (but did all the other shows).  

Awfully painful soft corns most of the time - just cut holes in pointe shoes and it was bearable...

I suppose I was very lucky - and grateful virtually not to have missed a single opportunity to perform!

Nowadays the physics advise or tell management when dancers should or shouldn't perform....

• Like 4

I see Valentino Zucchetti is unable to dance his 2 performances of Fille on 21st April and 2nd May. Does anyone know why? I've booked to see him on 2nd May as it's a matinee. ROH website says Alexander Campbell is taking his place on 21st April but no replacement casting for 2nd May as yet. Must be a bad injury if he's out for so long and for one of his first major debuts as well. I wish him a speedy recovery; he will be sadly missed.

Any news yet as to whether or not Vadim will be dancing next week or even the week after?

Well, I would imagine that both Vadim and Royal Ballet management will be hoping for him to make his debut next week. It may be, if the injury isn't too severe, that they thought it was worthwhile sacrificing his last Swan Lake performance in order to rest and maximise his chances of performing next week.

He's due to perform in the Four Temperaments on Tuesday, so whether or not he performs in that could be revealing - although even if he doesn't, again it could possibly be that they want to save him for the Fille debut.

All conjecture, of course....

Well, I would imagine that both Vadim and Royal Ballet management will be hoping for him to make his debut next week. It may be, if the injury isn't too severe, that they thought it was worthwhile sacrificing his last Swan Lake performance in order to rest and maximise his chances of performing next week.

He's due to perform in the Four Temperaments on Tuesday, so whether or not he performs in that could be revealing - although even if he doesn't, again it could possibly be that they want to save him for the Fille debut.

All conjecture, of course....

Conjecture, yes, but what you say has a certain logic. A couple of days' rest for certain injuries can work wonders. Let's hope for Muntagirov's sake (and ours!) that whatever is the matter will get better very soon.