Royal Ballet 2014/15 Period 2 Casting

Didn't want to start a new page for this - hardly worth it - but as FILLE is up this month at our London local - I thought I'd just add this clip from the Mikhailovsky production that appeared on Vasiliev's YouTube channel and is dated 29.3.15.  Here he is seen with Anna Kuligina.  No doubt this was filmed by one of Vasiliev's many zealous fans who proudly 'tableted' the entire affair:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No :(

I've had to miss out on both Vadim's Swan Lakes so far, and was really looking forward to him in it, plus I've seen McRae.

Hope it's not serious, because he's first-night cast for Fille next week :(

I just can't believe this.  I have fought tooth and nail to get a ticket for tomorrow night just to see Vadim because I couldn't attend either of his other performances, and now he's not dancing???  The whole reason I was going was to see him.  I wish I could swear on here.....  :angry:

Anyway, I hope it's nothing serious and that I can at least catch him in Fille.

• Like 1

Oh dear .....the worst has happened then after all.

First Cuthbertson and now Muntagirov.

I know they can't help it etc etc but I'm particularly annoyed as when I bought this ticket way back I decided to treat myself to a Stalls Circle seat so a very expensive outing as well as coming up to London!!

The only consolation is I haven't seen Swan Lake for a couple of years and haven't seen McRae or Salenko in these roles......so I'll no doubt enjoy it all but there is some disappointment as really did want to see Muntagirov in this even though McRae has never ever disappointed when Ive seen him dance.

Speedy recovery to Muntagirov anyway!

Also I think I saw on the website Cuthbertson is down to dance in a triple bill I'm going to in May so hopefully she's back for that!

Has he?  Two Swan Lakes, one performance of 4 Temperaments ...

I thought someone was saying on another thread about how he was travelling a good deal, as well as having a lot of different partners at short notice.

Or have I misunderstood? 

I thought someone was saying on another thread about how he was travelling a good deal, as well as having a lot of different partners at short notice.

Or have I misunderstood? 

He's been guesting an awful lot around the world (recently popped up in Kazakhstan, of all places), so his schedule is not just his RB performances.  Although 3 performances in a short space of time is actually a decent amount for a RB principal...

All fingers crossed that it's minor and he recovers soon 

So sorry to hear this re Muntagirov.

I feel for the disappointment but after all  it is the dancer who is suffering more than the audience! and

McRae /Salenko is a super pairing -I can recommend it. 

Agreed, and the dancers can't help injuries - comes with the territory - but I reserve the right to feel disappointed! :)

As I live in Devon I can't make it up very often - it's an expensive trip and I have to plan a long time ahead. I was so looking forward to seeing Vadim in Fille next week, so hoping against hope that it's not too serious and he might still be dancing. But whatever, a speedy recovery to him, not only for selfish reasons!

• Like 1

He's been guesting an awful lot around the world (recently popped up in Kazakhstan, of all places), so his schedule is not just his RB performances.  Although 3 performances in a short space of time is actually a decent amount for a RB principal...

All fingers crossed that it's minor and he recovers soon 

First and foremost, I second the hope that Muntagirov recovers quickly.[ Vadim, if by any chance you read this, we need you back on stage a lot  but only as soon as your injury is properly mended.]

One cannot be sure but I think that his last trip abroad (to Paris) was in very early March.

Another factor, which no onlooker can ever fully understand, I'm sure, is that, while dancing/preparing for the shows we know about (in Vadim's case: Swan Lake; Four Temperaments; Fille), many Principals will also (surely) be getting ready for performances down the line. That, plus perhaps standing ready to cover for the injuries of others, would make the load on any one individual at any one time really quite considerable. And, of course, the more so if every ballet or every production is new to the person concerned.

• Like 4

This is true!!

Whenever Ive broken anything it has never been in a dance class.

Last time was just slipping up on some wet grass!!

You could just have come from a ballet class having done all manner of jumps and turns with no problems and then slip down a step or trip over on an uneven pavement(another time when I broke something)

Anyway however he came by his injury lets hope he is better soon.

• Like 1

Well, it can't be helped but it's a little hard to not be disappointed even though McRae/Salenko are a fine replacement. Here's hoping that it's a speedy recovery (and having splashed a bit of money on tickets for his Siegfried at the Coli later this year now seems less extravagant...nearly a necessity, yes?)

I had forgotten Muntagirov could be seen as Siegfried at Coliseum in August. Indeed, another chance perhaps! Maybe also in that version, he even gets more dancing?

His name is not actually on the Coliseum website and the ticket booking facility seems to be broken at the moment( like all the websites I use) but one mustn't be discouraged.....

The sad disappointment of this sort always reminds me of the worst  such occasion I remember myself, having gone to see Johnny Cope's last performance in 2006 I think, only to hear he'd had an accident. He was really my favourite dancer and it was a terribly depressing shock. Still, it was worse for him! as it turned out to have been  a very bad accident, and the  poor man never really danced again.  But we do have the great benefit of his coaching at RB.

• Like 2

I had forgotten he would be in Swan Lake at the Coli so great hopefully another chance to see him in this role(that is if I can take two Swan Lakes so close together!!)

So could be a good end to the year after all Cuthbertson in Song of the Earth and Muntagirov in Swan Lake even if they are not actually dancing together but a pairing I would like to see.

Most ballet fans of course feel for the dancers when they are injured and want them to return as soon as poss because this is what they would want too.....injury can be such a miserable thing if it drags on......but I do agree that if you are looking forward to seeing a particular dancer or performance and it is cancelled (actually this doesn't only apply to ballet) then it's quite natural to feel disappointed.

I share the disappointment that Vadim Muntargirov will not be dancing this evening. However, we should not forget that dancers like him live for being on stage. If they do not perform, after all that rehearsal, it must be very disappointing for them as well. We do get to see a performance, even if it is not the person we booked for, and McRae and Salenko will give it their all, whereas, if he had performed, Muntagirov would  have had the anxiety of an injury to contend with and would have been anxious that he will be fit for next week when he will surely be very keen indeed to make his debut in Fille.

Edited by nevsky
  • Like 1

Well, let's hope it's something relatively minor like a muscle strain that just requires a few days rest - fingers crossed for him and us!

Really Muntagirov has been pretty lucky so far on the injury front so I guess it was inevitable at some point.

Not wanting to dwell on injuries too much but I remember too that Muntagirov was injured for the RBS Performances in 2009. I also seem to recall his dancing the first night of Etudes (was it?) with ENB and then being replaced by both Alban Lendorf and Ken Saruhashi in subsequent shows.

I take the point from both Nevsky and Sunrise that dancers often do perform with injuries.

Admittedly I haven't been watching ballet for very long, but the only performances which I can remember Muntagirov missing are the two Etudes ones which capybara has mentioned, although he did, I think, still dance in Raymonda in at least one of those programmes. I expect that dancers do sometimes dance with injuries, particularly if they are sustained during the performance itself, but it must be risky to do so. I assume that other factors such as the relative ease of covering the dancer, the proximity of other scheduled performances and the length of time until the season end or break are all taken into account when the decision about whether to withdraw from a performance is made. Let's hope that he follows Acosta and McRae in having a largely injury free career (have those two dancers ever been injured?).

To be honest even "minor" injuries can be difficult to do ballet with.....unless some sort of strong painkillers are involved and this always runs the risk of making the injury worse.

It may depend a bit on the ballet but if a Principal you would usually have a fair bit to do anyway.

Most of us know just how painful even a grade one twist of the ankle can be! Definitely not even walkable on initially let alone do ballet on. If it is minor then of course it will be okay in a few days or couple of weeks but otherwise a bit more serious and it can take up to three months to fully recover!

Nobody really wants to see a dancer who cannot really fully concentrate on the performance because of having to protect an injury.

Admittedly I haven't been watching ballet for very long, but the only performances which I can remember Muntagirov missing are the two Etudes ones which capybara has mentioned, although he did, I think, still dance in Raymonda in at least one of those programmes. I expect that dancers do sometimes dance with injuries, particularly if they are sustained during the performance itself, but it must be risky to do so. I assume that other factors such as the relative ease of covering the dancer, the proximity of other scheduled performances and the length of time until the season end or break are all taken into account when the decision about whether to withdraw from a performance is made. Let's hope that he follows Acosta and McRae in having a largely injury free career (have those two dancers ever been injured?).

I believe Steven McRae had a year out with an Achilles tear....