Lamb

Acosta

TBC

·                                 Friday 13 February 2015, 7.30pm Gruzin

Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

Yanowsky

Kish

TBC

·                                 Saturday 14 February 2015, 1.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Nuñez

Pennefather

TBC

·                                 Saturday 14 February 2015, 7pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Lamb

Acosta

TBC

·                                 Thursday 19 February 2015, 2pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Nuñez

Soares

TBC

·                                 Thursday 19 February 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Lamb

Acosta

TBC

·                                 Saturday 21 February 2015, 1.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Yanowsky

Kish

TBC

·                                 Saturday 21 February 2015, 7pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Osipova

Golding

TBC

·                                 Friday 13 March 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Osipova

Golding

TBC

·                                 Saturday 14 March 2015, 12.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Nuñez

Soares

TBC

·                                 Monday 16 March 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Obraztsova

McRae

TBC

·                                 Tuesday 17 March 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Osipova

Golding

TBC

·                                 Wednesday 18 March 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Nuñez

Soares

TBC

·                                 Thursday 19 March 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Takada

Bonelli

TBC

·                                 Saturday 21 March 2015, 1.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Obraztsova

McRae

TBC

·                                 Saturday 21 March 2015, 7pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Marquez

Pennefather

TBC

·                                 Wednesday 25 March 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Obraztsova

McRae

TBC

·                                 Thursday 26 March 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Cuthbertson

Muntagirov

TBC

·                                 Thursday 2 April 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Cuthbertson

Muntagirov

TBC

·                                 Tuesday 7 April 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Takada

Bonelli

TBC

·                                 Thursday 9 April 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Gruzin

Cuthbertson

Muntagirov

TBC

Edited to paste in casting from ROH website.  I've tried, unsuccessfully, to tidy up the format.  Maybe an administrator can improve on it as my time for editing is running out.

Edited by Bluebird

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that repeated guests are brought in for McRae, e.g., Salenko for Don Q and Obraztsova for Swan L.   I wonder if the 'universal they' at the RB are on the hunt for a permanent new 'smallish' female principal for him to specifically partner.  Seems Osipova now largely transferred to Golding in preparation for Acosta's departure a year hence.  Nice to see Takada being given the SL opportunity after a largely shinning SB and the Cuthbertson/ Muntagirov combo should be an exciting partnership in both SL and O surely.  Osipova I'm confident will make a thrilling Tatania and Oneign is one role that should definitely suit Golding. .Only wish they'd found a way to squish in a performance by Jason Reilly  again ... He was so fine as a last minute replacement in the Cranko the last time round ... It would be grand to have him honoured with a dedicated performance of his own ... and I would imagine that he and the aforementioned Osipova might well be as electric as he and Cojocaru had been.  Certainly much to look forward to ... (now if they could just come up with a different SL production ... as Kevin O'Hare smilingly suggested might well be on the future cards :) ... )  Certainly the Dowell lifts the RB coffers every bit as much as Seigfried does the cardinal's red cassock ... both now in blushing face of the now reduced ACE grant.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Yes, I suspect that one of these ballerinas is going to be offered a permanent contract at some point. It would be tough for Marquez to lose her regular partner and Lamb would lose out as well. It doesn't seem likely that there will be a female principal who has risen through the ranks any time soon.

• Like 1

Forgive me, but what does "eDI" as the topic title mean please

Only just noticed that.  Something must have happened when I was pasting in the casting.  

PLEASE could an administrator change it back to the original title (Royal Ballet Period 2 Casting)

Edit: To amend thread title as required.  Ian Macmillan.

Yes, I suspect that one of these ballerinas is going to be offered a permanent contract at some point. 

If that IS the case I'd love to throw my dibs into the proverbial ring for the artist that is Obraztsova.   She was so lovely as Juliet opposite McRae ... and has in the past been a radiant Covent Garden Aurora.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Heavens, it's too much to take in, when does the booking for this lot start?

Two quick things before I have another look, glad Valeri Hristov gets repeat performances as Onegin, and pleased to see Matthew Ball as Lensky, I noticed him for the first time in Connectome!

Only just noticed that.  Something must have happened when I was pasting in the casting.  

PLEASE could an administrator change it back to the original title (Royal Ballet Period 2 Casting)

Edit: To amend thread title as required.  Ian Macmillan.

Many thanks, Ian.

And Choe is not cast in Don Q either, or Manon, and is cast in the secondary female role in Onegin. Although Naghdi has been promoted she is still not getting the big roles either (unlike Hayward) and I fear that she may not progress much further.

Heavens, it's too much to take in, when does the booking for this lot start?

Premium 2 Friends  - 9th Sept.

Premium 1 Friends  - 10th Sept

Supporting Friends  - 12th Sept.

Friends                    - 23rd Sept.

General Booking      - 21 Oct.

I was very surprised to see that according to the ROH website, the Golding dancing Swan Lake with Osipova is actually Solomon Golding and not Matthew.  Very confusing having 2 dancers with the same surname dancing the same principal roles.  Or is it a mistake by the webteam?

Linda

And Choe is not cast in Don Q either, or Manon, and is cast in the secondary female role in Onegin. Although Naghdi has been promoted she is still not getting the big roles either (unlike Hayward) and I fear that she may not progress much further.

IMO Management prefers Miss Takada over Miss Chui (if I remember correctly Takada was down for O/O a year or two ago but she got injured and never made her debut). That Miss Chui is not cast in Don Q. or Manon and dancing "Olga" not "Tatiana" speaks for itself I think. Perhaps that's why Miss Chui is not made a Principal:  are they looking for a new partner for Steven McRae (?) (re. Post 2)

Aileen I think your fear about Miss Naghdi is unfounded but I understand what you mean. She has danced Principal roles in Monotones, Infra (Finale pd2) and Polyphonia during the 2012/13 Season when she also danced "Olga" in "Onegin" (again next Season in the Osipova/Golding cast), she has danced numerous Soloist roles this Season and also danced in most if not all of the Triple Bills but I agree it is time they give her a named role too in a major Ballet. She is one of those dancers I really enjoy watching and I hope Management do not let her wait all too long before giving her an opportunity to tackle a Principal role when the right repertoire comes along.

We've seen Miss Stix-Brunell being catapulted under the previous Director, the lovely Miss Kaneko too (the year before she got injured) and now Miss Hayward with two debuts. True Miss Hayward has been given a few roles "on a plate" so to speak and the first half of next Season she'll get two debuts, one in "Manon", a Principal role MANY current Principals have had to wait for a long time,  and in "Alice". 

I was very surprised to see that according to the ROH website, the Golding dancing Swan Lake with Osipova is actually Solomon Golding and not Matthew.  Very confusing having 2 dancers with the same surname dancing the same principal roles.  Or is it a mistake by the webteam?

Linda

Oh Solomon is FAR too young and inexperienced to dance a Principal role in Swan Lake! It's Matthew Golding, a Principal :)

I tend to feel that it is rather hard on Company dancers when guests are brought in (quite frequently) and both established Principals/Soloists and up-and-coming younger dancers thus get fewer chances to essay leading roles.

And I say that as a fan of Obratsova.

In fairness to the RB, it should be also be noted that the same thing appears to be happening at ENB now - although their guests are male.

It would be interesting to know what the generality of dancers in both companies think about this!!!!!

• Like 1

Oh Solomon is FAR too young and inexperienced to dance a Principal role in Swan Lake! It's Matthew Golding, a Principal :)

I've just checked the ROH website and -  loveclassics/ Post 14 you are right" -  when on Swan Lake casting and I click on "Golding" it links to the Artist Solomon Golding and not the Principal Matthew Golding.  

Sorry, but I don't think that Hamilton is strong enough technically for SL. She has not been good in the classics (IMO) and doesn't really strike me as a 'tutu' ballerina. It's much more surprising that Choe was not cast in SL, (again IMO). She's a perfect classical ballerina. 

• Like 3

Really surprised Hamilton has not been cast in Swan Lake. I thought that would have been a given.

Surprised about Kish getting Onegin, but good for him. Was hoping Pennefather would have been cast in that.

Kish was cast two years ago (can't remember who he was partnered with)

Sorry, but I don't think that Hamilton is strong enough technically for SL. She has not been good in the classics (IMO) and doesn't really strike me as a 'tutu' ballerina. It's much more surprising that Choe was not cast in SL, (again IMO). She's a perfect classical ballerina. 

Miss Hamilton is great in contemporary work, McGregor in particular, but she has never impressed me in the tutu roles. I find her weak in the classical roles. 

And Yanowsky gets two whole outings. Let's hope she doesn't die from overwork.

It does appear from those lists that Yuhui Choe is yesterday's news. Pity, because she has a lovely stage presence and seems to do well in the repertoire. Apparently someone on high has decided that she's found her niche as a very useful supporting cast member.

Edited by Melody

I saw him as Lensky, I'm sure .... just not as Onegin. Unless I'm having a senior moment .... I don't think so though because I specifically went to see him.

Edited by J_New
  • Like 2

You're right, Melody - I found this on the website. I was sure I'd chosen to see him, and this was announced in advance although it was a change of cast.

'There have been adjustments to the advertised casting for select performances of The Royal Ballet’s Onegin.

For performances on 22 January, 25 January, 31 January and 5 February Nehemiah Kish will dance the role of Lensky'.