Royal Ballet 2014/15 Period 2 Casting

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Solomon is FAR too young and inexperienced to dance a Principal role in Swan Lake! It's Matthew Golding, a Principal :)

There is a precedent; back in 1983 a young dancer got his chance to dance Siegfried in his second season with the RB and never looked back.

Shurely shome mishtake, as they say.

Perhaps I should respond on the ROH's website unless Matthew Golding's agent has already pointed out their mistake?

And Yanowsky gets two whole outings. Let's hope she doesn't die from overwork.

It does appear from those lists that Yuhui Choe is yesterday's news. Pity, because she has a lovely stage presence and seems to do well in the repertoire. Apparently someone on high has decided that she's found her niche as a very useful supporting cast member.

Yes, to be thrown on stage in front of a hostile audience when "Superstars" are injured

Gosh! Who was that Loveclassics?  

It was Jonathan Cope in 1983.  Derek Deane was 'off' and a tall partner for Pippa Wylde was needed but I think he had already been marked out for the fast track.  Also, in the late 90s, there was a young dancer from South America who got an early chance when Darcey Bussell was suddenly without a tall enough partner.  Inaki Urlezaga was his name, assuming I've spelt it correctly.  He didn't stay with the RB that long but it gave his international career a jump start.

Once it was the fashion for the AD to announce a promotion after a particularly great performance (and often just after the curtain calls) but these days most promotions come at the same time each year.  Not nearly as dramatic but maybe employment legislation has something to do with it.

Edited by loveclassics

They seem to be doing an awful lot of performances of Swan Lake.

Do they normally do that many? 

Yes.  The number SL performances usually hovers around the 20 mark. It's a cash cow for the RB no less than for other companies.

I was very surprised to see that according to the ROH website, the Golding dancing Swan Lake with Osipova is actually Solomon Golding and not Matthew.  Very confusing having 2 dancers with the same surname dancing the same principal roles.  Or is it a mistake by the webteam?

Linda

Wouldn't be the first time the ROH webteam have linked to Solomon when then meant to link to Matthew.

Those of us who were quick on to check the cast will also have seen the (now corrected) mistake that suggested we'd be seeing Osipova and McRae together in Swan Lake!

Although Naghdi has been promoted she is still not getting the big roles either (unlike Hayward) and I fear that she may not progress much further.

Olga is a pretty important role for a (newly promoted) soloist.

Interesting to note the RB Olgas: [first run] Cojocaru, Bond, Nuñez, [second run] Burn, Hatley, [third run] Duprot, [fourth run] Lamb, [fifth run] Takada, Choe, Hamilton, Crawford.

Cast changes are noted in the show report and the database in most cases shows the actual cast, not the advertised cast.

Well, it didn't in this case unless I was spelling his name wrong or something when I did the search. It didn't show that he'd been in any of the productions.

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/SearchResults.aspx?person=Nehemiah%20Kish&searchtype=workprodperf&genre=Ballet&title=Onegin

Then again, a search on just Onegin doesn't show anything in 2012, which is obviously incorrect. Searching on Nehemiah Kish's name between 2011 and 2013 doesn't show any productions of Onegin; it looks as though the 2012 run didn't get into the database.

Edited by Melody

Apologies in advance for being off topic.

I am also an ardent tennis fan, and the first night's cast confused me.  For a moment I thought it meant Kyle Edmund and Radek Stepanek.  Now I just can't get those names out of my head. 

:wacko:

Edited by Fonty

I've a feeling that Feb 14 matinee should read Marquez with Pennefather,not Nunez. Well,they both end with a Z so an easy mistake to make.  ;-)

Confirmed by the casting in the ROH Magazine which has just arrived.  February 14 matinée is, indeed, Marquez/Pennefather

Edited to ask if an administrator might be able to correct the ROH website casting which I pasted into my original post (#1 in this thread).

Edited by Bluebird

Well, it didn't in this case unless I was spelling his name wrong or something when I did the search. It didn't show that he'd been in any of the productions.

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/SearchResults.aspx?person=Nehemiah%20Kish&searchtype=workprodperf&genre=Ballet&title=Onegin

Then again, a search on just Onegin doesn't show anything in 2012, which is obviously incorrect. Searching on Nehemiah Kish's name between 2011 and 2013 doesn't show any productions of Onegin; it looks as though the 2012 run didn't get into the database.

That's because they are in the process of updating the systems on which the database is founded so some of the more recent works are not yet on there.

I am also an ardent tennis fan, and the first night's cast confused me.  For a moment I thought it meant Kyle Edmund and Radek Stepanek.  Now I just can't get those names out of my head. 

*That's* why I was wondering why there was an "s" on the end of "Edmond" :).  Sorry to see that Johannes Stepanek has been "demoted" to Gremin where he used to dance Lensky (and was one of my favourites).

I've always assumed that he and Radek (aka "Sexy", which I always took to be ironic) weren't related.

*That's* why I was wondering why there was an "s" on the end of "Edmond" :).  Sorry to see that Johannes Stepanek has been "demoted" to Gremin where he used to dance Lensky (and was one of my favourites).

I've always assumed that he and Radek (aka "Sexy", which I always took to be ironic) weren't related.

Yes, I remember him as a most touching and elegant Lensky. Interesting that Marquez (again). Crawford, Hamilton and McRae are all out of Onegin. The Cranko Trust does pull its rank. On other matters, Takada's O/O was surely inevitable after her cancelled debut and recent promotion. As I wrote on another post, it does seem as if Choe's Aurora jump in for Osipova was a management tactic that seems to have left her wanting in their eyes: certainly, I was surprised that having danced Swan Lake elsewhere she wash;t offered some performances but, of course, a guest has been brought in to dance with McRae. With Marquez also out of Symphonic it's looking thin for her too...

Yes, I remember him as a most touching and elegant Lensky. Interesting that Marquez (again). Crawford, Hamilton and McRae are all out of Onegin. The Cranko Trust does pull its rank. On other matters, Takada's O/O was surely inevitable after her cancelled debut and recent promotion. As I wrote on another post, it does seem as if Choe's Aurora jump in for Osipova was a management tactic that seems to have left her wanting in their eyes: certainly, I was surprised that having danced Swan Lake elsewhere she wash;t offered some performances but, of course, a guest has been brought in to dance with McRae. With Marquez also out of Symphonic it's looking thin for her too...

With Roberta Marquez, Melissa Hamilton, Steven McRae and Helen Crawford out of Onegin is the Cranko Trust that picky?? Do they select and cast the dancers and not the Management? 

It's looking very thin for Roberta Marquez indeed.

Interesting that Marquez (again). Crawford, Hamilton and McRae are all out of Onegin.

I hadn't realised that McRae was out of it, too. 

And Nina, yes, I'm pretty sure the Cranko Estate does the casting for Onegin.  After all, look what happened to Tamara Rojo ...

I have heard Kevin O'Hare say (on two different occasions) that he has proposed the Onegin casting to Reid Anderson and has not experienced any problems.

Can't wait to see the new Lenskys. Some inspired casting there, in my view.

I have heard Kevin O'Hare say (on two different occasions) that he has proposed the Onegin casting to Reid Anderson and has not experienced any problems.

Oh, really?  In that case, I stand corrected.

Oh, really?  In that case, I stand corrected.

You may well be correct in your assumptions about the past, Alison, but (from what he has said) Kevin O'Hare seems to have secured the trust of Reid Andersen. Weren't they at the RBS together?

Regarding the casting for Onegin, I have always assumed that the Cranko Estate have the final say.  And in the case of Rojo, they were completely wrong IMO.

Maybe O'Hare knows exactly what type they are looking for, and picks accordingly? 

• Like 2