RB Woolf Works, May 2015

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

This wonderful line up might - just - get me through a full evening of McGregor but I am still not tempted to spend my money on it.

This wonderful line up might - just - get me through a full evening of McGregor but I am still not tempted to spend my money on it.

I know what you mean.  I have bought a ticket for a performance late in the run so that I can get a sense from others who see it earlier as to whether it is worth a try.  I plan to return the ticket if not.  I am not optimistic.  I don't think he has produced anything worthwhile since Infra (but I think that and Chroma are fantastic pieces); such a waste of the talent that is consistently on stage for his Royal Ballet pieces.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Casting now announced:

11, 13, 15, 20, 23 May

Alessandra Ferri, Sarah Lamb, Marianela Nuñez, Natalia Osipova, Melissa Hamilton, Akane Takada, Beatriz Stix-Brunell, Francesca Hayward, Federico Bonelli, Steven McRae, Edward Watson, Gary Avis, Tristan Dyer, Paul Kay, Eric Underwood, Matthew Ball

14, 21, 26 May
Alessandra Ferri, Itziar Mendizabal, Claire Calvert, Olivia Cowley, Fumi Kaneko, Yuhui Choe, Yasmine Naghdi, Mayara Magri, Ryoichi Hirano, Alexander Campbell, Nicol Edmonds, Fernando Montaño, Calvin Richardson, James Hay, David Donnelly, Benjamin Ella
  • Like 3

I notice on the Woolf Works webpage, that there is a warning of laser-lighting effects. So, Virginia Woolf - the Ministry of Sound years?

Hey, seems Virginia's 'electrifying ... and she's not even trying' .... but then she won't be the only 'Gypsy' in town this time :)

Edited by Bruce Wall

Cracked and bought a ticket - how otherwise will I be  able to criticise it? :-)

Not fair- it might be really good. At least he is taking an interesting subject, and using a lot of dancers, and doing something ambitious.

• Like 2

Cracked and bought a ticket - how otherwise will I be  able to criticise it? :-)

Not fair- it might be really good. At least he is taking an interesting subject, and using a lot of dancers, and doing something ambitious.

I like your style!! 

I have also cracked and bought a ticket. They seem to be in plentiful supply! I have gone for the matinee despite the early start. The cast - should it appear - is stellar and as you say, Mr McGregor is using a lot of dancers and what should be an interesting subject. I dithered over this as the wheels fell off Two Tractors and I ended up swapping that ticket. I have also blown a large part of my budget on Sylvie at the Coliseum. But hey, nothing ventured. 

As you say, it might be really good!  :unsure:

As you say, it might be really good!  :unsure:

Hmmm....I have only bought tickets for one performance.  After my unhappy experience with Raven Girl, and even more unhappy experience with Two Tractors, I have hedged my bets.  Despite everything, I am keeping my mind open and very much hope that I will be pleasantly surprised....

It's the ambitious bit that has me most worried - papers, debates, or perhaps a book tend to be quite good media to express intellectual theories. Dance, not so much. There's a reason Einstein didn't dance his ideas at colleagues.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets are still in very plentiful supply, some seats that were sold have come back on for sale. Is it normal for a world premiere starting in less than a month, to be so selling so poorly? Perhaps it will pick up nearer the time. I am beginning to wish I had held out a bit longer.

Is there any clue as to the running time? I imagine as it is full length - what does that mean exactly, does a ballet have to be a certain length to be considered full length or do they pad out what is essentially a short piece, with as many intervals as they think they can get away with?

I am guessing that if it is 'full length', the programme notes will run into several volumes! :(

• Like 1

Never seen so many tickets still available so near to show time. Not familiar with McGregor myself, only read other peoples views, but if the first cast is anything to go by we should be in for a treat. Hope the score isn't too modern and electronic and too LOUD.

Could zxDaveM advise where the Woolf Works website is please.

Edited by SPD444