RB Woolf Works, May 2015

Calvert has now reappeared at one performance only (May 14) Something very strange going on with the website!

Or changes of plan on the part of the choreographer? Or (again!) insufficient time to rehearse multiple casts?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, so that's Osipova is it, with the old guttering candle cliché?

If the candle is representing a specific person, I would think it may be Alessandra Ferri who, based on an article referred to earlier in this blog, is playing the role of Virginia Woolf.

Calvert has now reappeared at one performance only (May 14) Something very strange going on with the website!

It looks like an error on the web site to me. Currently the cast on May 14th has one more male dancer/ one less female dancer than all the other performances.

Can anyone tell me why the tickets for Woolf Works are so much cheaper than for the normal run of productions at the ROH? I myself am beyond excited at the prospect of seeing Alessandra Ferri finally. The rest of the line up is pretty stunning as well. So why are the tickets so much cheaper?

Alessandra Ferri, dancing Juliet when she was young, is the only person who has ever really convinced me that Juliet was only 14 years old.

• Like 1

Looking at the tickets still unsold for most nights it appears they are still over-priced. The management will have to do a fire sale or the theatre will be 3 parts empty which could be very embarrassing for Macgregor. I have bought for the first night but am feeling a bit of trepidation over what I might have to sit through.

There *is* usually one "contemporary" bill per season which is sold at particularly low prices.  That's usually top price of around £40, so actually pricing it at the standard mixed-bill rate is maybe a little high.  Also, I doubt that it will be a "full-evening" work in the usual sense of 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

I understand that targets are set for ticket sales. If insufficient  tickets are sold for a particular work it puts a big question mark over the possibility of revival in later seasons. Management may have felt that only allowing students to buy tickets in the Amphitheatre for first night was going to ensure that there was an enthusiastic audience response to this work.The popular ticket prices were clearly intended to get the audience in and so far the strategy has not worked that well. 100+ tickets unsold for every other performance of a new work except the premiere is not something that I have seen before.

I wonder how long they can afford to use price hikes for popular works to cross subsidize McGregor's works like this? It is another one of his works that is being supported in the same way next year. It suggests that there is not a ready audience of any size for such pieces and that they are experiencing some difficulty in building one. There is a danger that at some point people will stop paying up for anything except Nutcracker and other really popular works. A theatre like Covent Garden can not survive on passing trade.It is one of the reasons why the first booking period is so long and expensive for regular ballet and opera goers. It gives them money upfront for the best part of five months as the season opens.

What happens if the new work gets panned by the critics and then the regulars who will be there on the second and subsequent nights start warning everyone off and put any other tickets that they may have for back for resale? Worse still for Kevin what happens if the casting for next season does not persuade us to spend? The consensus seems to be that next season is not very exciting on paper. Then there is the American Tour. I wonder how well tickets are selling? There is some suggestion that not everyone is that happy about the programmes being offered at the Kennedy Centre which I understand has been changed to Don Q and at the Koch Theatre where  one of the ballets is being replaced by a somewhat eclectic offering of gala odds and ends.

Potentially a very interesting summer for the Royal Ballet management team.   

• Like 4

The ROH web site now shows "Ballet Essentials" for Woolf Works - http://www.roh.org.uk/news/ballet-essentials-woolf-works, and the response to a web site comment states that rehearsal footage will follow.

Wayne McGregor said at the Insight Evening that the cast for Orlando would have two sets of costume each - one female, one male. I am currently reading Virginia Woolfe's Orlando, and have just got to the events when Orlando wakes up as a woman and puts on clothing that can be worn by a man or a woman. Bearing mind that McGregor's choreography will be non-narrative, I am looking forward to seeing how the different kits of costume will be used by the dancers (and whether the three female figures that appear during Orlando's sleep make any appearance in the ballet).

As you say, Floss, there are well over 100 tickets left for each performance (apart from the dedicated student amphitheatre one) & a look at the seating plans shows just how poor the sales are.

Taking two performances at random - 

1. 100+ in both amphitheatre & orchestra stalls, 59 balcony, 52 grand tier, & 68 stalls circle makes a total of 379 plus - life's too short to count & discover how many over 100 in the amphi!.

2. !00 + in amphi, balcony, stalls circle and orchestra stalls, and 74 in grand tier gives a total of 474 plus.

After Raven Girl I am not even tempted to buy one ticket, even though some of my favourite dancers will be performing. What a pity that next season Connectome has been placed with Raven Girl - I would have liked to see Connectome again, but there are limits!!

After Raven Girl I am not even tempted to buy one ticket, even though some of my favourite dancers will be performing. What a pity that next season Connectome has been placed with Raven Girl - I would have liked to see Connectome again, but there are limits!!

The tickets are so cheap, you could watch Connectome and then get an early night! :-)

Whilst I wasn't a huge fan of Raven Girl (mainly cos of the gloom and that darn scrim/screen all the way through), there WERE some lovely parts to it (e.g. the final pdd was glorious, I thought; the part where all the crows/ravens flew over the rooftops; the arm to wing transition (virtually the only part where the scrim was valid, to my mind))

Arky, we must have taken different dates at random, then.  For the ones I looked at, my reaction was "Eek!  I thought people said there were loads of tickets left?"  100+, on its own, is not all that uncommon for performances at the ROH, and when spread around the house it's not necessarily that many.  I've often looked at the amphi when it's shown as 100+, thinking, oh, there are plenty of tickets still available, and it hasn't seemed like much at all.  

It could be that the tickets start to sell once the performances start and the reviews are out (good or bad)? Alessandra Ferri might still be a draw to those who won't know she's in it until there's more publicity in the media. I agree, 100+ seats on their own is not that uncommon - there were a few Filles with that many empty seats last month, but they've all pretty much sold out in the run up to performances.

Having said that, I'm content with my memories of Ferri last time she was here, and to wait and see what everyone else says first :-)

Alison.

It's far from the odd hundred, though figures will alter day by day;  down as sales are made and up with returns.!

Mon 11 May       25  (student amphi )

Wed 13 May     370+

Thur 14 May    426+

Fri 15 May       303+  

Wed 20 May    384+

Thur 21 May    474+

Sat 23 May      386+

Tues 26 May   452+

They may all sell. But that number of unsold tickets for a new work is not usual. It is not I think something that the management will be taking that lightly.The impression I got when Alex Beard spoke to the London Ballet Circle was that everyone was very happy with ticket sales for the ballet. and that all the time the Director shows that he knows what he is doing, knows his audience and can grow it and is able to meet whatever targets ACE decides to set all is well and there will be little or no interference from the Board.But if sales are not up to the mark and/or the US Tour does not go to plan that could all change particularly as the cuts in public funding begin to bite.I wonder what the Board's view will be if ticket sales are slow for booking period one?

Well, that's still an 80% or so sales rate, isn't it?  I thought from the fuss that was being made that it was about half that!

depends on how big the '+' is - on quick inspection (visually - I wasn't going to count empty seats) some do look more towards the 50-60% sold.

I personally hope its terrific - beautifully lit, strongly but exquisitely danced, and with a striking production/staging, and goes on to sell like hot cakes

• Like 3

I'd guess that folk are hanging back, awaiting reaction to it. If hugely positive, the remainder will get snapped up. If rather negative, then....

And possibly some, like me, are hanging back because they know they can: if I can fit them onto next month's credit card bill rather than this month's along with the rest of my summer bookings, then so much the better.  I grabbed the things I knew were going to sell fast, and decided to wait for the others, especially since I had no idea what my schedule was going to be like in May.  Some other people will also doubtless be hanging back in the hopes of getting some bargain offers, too. 

For those who were not there in person to watch this insight event, here is a video of Woolf Work rehearsals that has just been uploaded onto Youtube

I personally can't wait to watch this when I get back from the library!

Thank you so much for posting this.  I was lucky to get a return ticket for the Insight Event for Woolf Works, and watching the video has transported me right back to the event. I am still fascinated by how quickly and fluidly any corrections are taken up and integrated into the dancing. I can't wait to see the finished product in less than two week's time.

Edited to remove the link to the video in the quotation so as to shorten my post.

Edited by Duck

Very interesting. I like the point McGregor makes that he never sits down in rehearsal, as he likes to walk round and see the dance from all angles. (Perhaps he might try seeing it from  some of the cheaper seats too!)

Isn't Ed Watson marvellous ( very unoriginal comment!)

• Like 2

Was the full name of 'Virginia Woolf' actually ever mentioned by McGregor in that almost 15 minute clip?  I am uncertain.  Liked the Sibelius suggestion of the Richter.  

I believe the presenter mentioned Virginia Woolf as part of her introduction to the evening and then handed over to Wayne McGregor for the first rehearsal.

As the first rehearsal has now been put on-line in full, I am hopeful that this will also be done for the second rehearsal (with Alessandra Ferri and Federico Bonelli) and some of the panel discussion, all before the opening night.