In which ballet......

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the one I was thinking of, but sounds a fascinating ballet! 

In the ballet I'm thinking of, the trip to the underwater kingdom is one of three trials the hero needs to do... the others include climbing a mountain at the edge of the world, and bathing in a cauldron of boiling water. 

Thought for a mo we were in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire territory...  ;-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Friar Lawrence's letter does not reach Romeo because of quarantine due too Plague.

It's interesting that no ballet libretto (that I know of) really makes that clear.

It was quite clear in Lavrovsky's original production, in the scene when Romeo  expressed his despair in a short dance.

In which ballet the distraught heroine doesn't want to part with her little harp?

Edited by Amelia

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a long shot, I know, but I seem to remember that in La Bayadère Nikiya plays some kind of stringed instrument just before she gets a bunch of flowers that hides a snake.

The reason that scene springs to mind is that I was warned to look out for nasties in flowers when I visited Australia.

... in La Bayadère Nikiya plays some kind of stringed instrument ...

No, Terpsichore, Nikiya probably played the sitar, and quite briefly. My question is about the ballet where the heroine has to flee her home and the only thing she takes with her is her little harp. And she is cherishing it in captivity.

To go back a bit I really never cottoned on to the plague thing affecting the outcome of R and J!! Have only seen the Royals and ENB 's old production of R and J and somehow missed this completely!!

Me neither.   I thought it was just a case of the inefficient Italian post. 

I have not been able to answer many questions on here.  I am amazed at the depth of knowledge people are showing. 

I must congratulate you on your erudition, Amelia.

I see about 20 ballets a year and although I can think of several where the heroine comes to a sticky end harps and daggers are not ringing any bells yet.

I also have a reasonable knowledge of classical and modern history and literature from which I have been able to guess some of  the answers to the previous questions in relation to ballets that I have not yet seen.

I will continue to interrogate my memory. When you publish the answer I am sure I shall kick myself and exclaim "of course".

Regards

Terpsichore

• Like 2

In which ballet does the heroine dance with a copy of Le Monde, descend into the underworld and see her boyfriend embrace the priesthood, rather than her?  (Probably far too easy but my mind's gone soft from the pressure of Christmas preparation).

Linda

Sorry, this was the poser I was responding to when I submitted The Red Shoes. I now need to look back for the other teaser. Thanks for the welcome.

I've been putting off suggesting this for reasons of spelling, but isn't it The Fountain of Bakhchisarai?

Yes, Jane S, this is the ballet and the spelling is perfect.

You would remember that Mariinsky brought it to London in mid-1990s. Yulia Makhalina was Maria, the girl with a harp, and Altynai Assylmuratova was Zarema who plunged the dagger into Maria’s back.

There is a quite well known film “Stars of Russian Ballet” (1953)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Various-Artists-Stars-Russian-Ballet/dp/B00018D512/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389375304&sr=8-2&keywords=Stars+of+Russian+Ballet

with scenes from “The Fountain of Bakhchisarai” with Galina Ulanova as Maria and Maya Plisetskaya as Zarema:

http://my.mail.ru/video/mail/zlata-lu/565/571.html#video=/mail/zlata-lu/565/571

Edited: Added the link.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 1