In which ballet......

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha! And I didnt realise there was a video, I'm going to hunt for it on You Tube! My love for Acosta's dancing can't possibly grow any greater than it already is, but I'm going to hunt that video down now right away. OK, ballet trivia my turn:

In which ballet do the male and female leads only touch each other once?

It had to be Sylphide sooner or later! Thanks for the hint, Anjuli-Bai.

My question: which ballet is NOT set in the location named in the title?

Edited by Grand Tier Left

Oh - that's a tough one (especially for a Sunday morning).

Hmmm....Swan Lake is set by the lake and in some productions S & O fall into the Lake - so that's out.

Flames of Paris does have a scene in Paris.....

It would have to have a place named in the title......so Skokie, Illinois is out -- because there is no ballet named "Skokie, Illinois.

I better go eat my Wheaties.......this is going to haunt me all day.....I might have to consult Mr.Anjuli Bai.

• Like 2

My question: which ballet is NOT set in the location named in the title?

I can't remember a stream in The Bright Stream but don't think that's the one you mean!

On a separate question, I learnt a rather lovely pas de deux today set between a (Russian?) blind girl and a boy who is looking out for and supporting her. Does anyone know if this is from a larger ballet?

As an related (and easier!) trivia question, name two ballets where a Principal dances whilst blindfolded...

Anjuli_Bai, on 19 Nov 2013 - 5:49 PM, said:

Re Jeanne d'arc - I couldn't find who choreographed it but it was danced by Eleonora Vlasova and Yuri Grigoriev.

“Jeanne d'Arc” was choreographed by Vladimir Burmeister in 1957 with Violetta Bovt in the tutle role. Eleonora Vlasova danced that role later.

DavidW, on 01 Dec 2013 - 6:18 PM, said:

I can't remember a stream in The Bright Stream but don't think that's the one you mean!

On a separate question, I learnt a rather lovely pas de deux today set between a (Russian?) blind girl and a boy who is looking out for and supporting her. Does anyone know if this is from a larger ballet?

“The Bright Stream” is the name of the collective farm where all that scenario events are taking place. So the location is mentioned in the title here.

The touching duet of the blind girl and a boy, called “The Blind Girl”, was choreographed by Leonid Yakobson for Alla Shelest and Igor Chernyshev. It is  not an extract from a larger ballet but a separate piece, which the choreographer called a ‘miniature ballet’.

My question: In which ballet the main female heroine lost her beauty and had to keep her ugly face covered?

Update on the ballet NOT set in the location named in the title: it's nothing to do with "The Bright Stream",but if you want a clue, think of the Ballets Russes.

Well, I'm stumped.  Can't think of a Diagelev ballet with a place (location) in its name.  Unless, Armide wasn't really in the Pavillion .....

The location in the title isn't a place you would find in an atlas. You might only see or hear it at the very start (at least in the version I've seen, which I think recreated much of the original).

Edited by Grand Tier Left

The touching duet of the blind girl and a boy, called “The Blind Girl”, was choreographed by Leonid Yakobson for Alla Shelest and Igor Chernyshev. It is  not an extract from a larger ballet but a separate piece, which the choreographer called a ‘miniature ballet’.

That's it! You are completely right - my teacher definitely said Yakobson but it slipped my mind. Thank you so much :) It's such a brilliant little piece, I'm glad I now know who created it, and for whom.

As to my question - Prince of the Pagodas was one of the two I was thinking of. The other is much more recent (I'm slightly worried I'm misremembering now!). Didn't realise/remember blindfolds were used in Sylvia and Spartacus!