In which ballet......

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ballerina in Balanchine's 'La Sonnambula' dances the entirety of the ballet with her eyes apparently closed!

How I wish th RB or ENB would acquire this eerie and untypical Balanchine work. I believe it has been performed here before (I think the role was danced by Fonteyn at some point) but it must be incredibly difficult to dance, since most of role has to be done on point .  Anyway, I've got it on a disc somewhere peformed by Alessandra Ferri and Mikahel Baryshnikov.  It never fails to thrill me.  

Edited by Ann Williams
  • Like 1

The ballerina in Balanchine's 'La Sonnambula' dances the entirety of the ballet with her eyes apparently closed!

How I wish th RB or ENB would acquire this eerie and untypical Balanchine work. I believe it has been performed here before (I think the role was danced by Fonteyn at some point) but it must be incredibly difficult to dance, since most of role has to be done on point .  Anyway, I've got it on a disc somewhere peformed by Alessandra Ferri and Mikahel Baryshnikov.  It never fails to thrill me.  

Wow - that is interesting.  I never thought about that ballet.  But my husband guessed it right away.

Good one!

• Like 1

In which ballet is there at least three occasions where a flower is thrown or dropped?

Yes, I was thinking of Giselle, and said at least three because it might be five, two occasions when it might be leafy sprigs rather than flowers. (And apologies for late response, but I hope for the best of reasons, I was out all day yesterday at two performances of the Royal Ballet's R and J)

• Like 3

Festival Ballet had a nice production of La Sonnambula which they gave under the alternative name, Night Shadow.  Fonteyn did indeed dance the role of the Sleepwalker when she briefly appeared with the company as a guest.  The Coquette was Margot Miklosy and the Poet, the wonderful John Gilpin.  To the best of my recollection - and I've seen the ballet a number of times with several companies - the Sleepwalker keeps her eyes open, but she stares fixedly into space and sees nothing because she is, as the title of the role suggests, fast asleep.  It's a lovely ballet and I'd love to see it again.

In which  ballet do the lead female character and the lead male character - meet  - dance - but do not fall in love - don't even want to fall in love - love between them is not even hinted at - but they do arrive at a quid pro quo.

And Ondine.  I mean for the necklace (she produces a beautiful one of shells from the sea and gives it to Bertha in place of the original locket that Palemon first offered her and then gave to Ondine).

Edited for clarity.

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 1

Yes, I was thinking of Giselle, and said at least three because it might be five, two occasions when it might be leafy sprigs rather than flowers.

My immediate reaction was Sleeping Beauty :)

From my husband, Mr  Anjuli Bai:

In which ballet does a dancer smoke on stage?

Petit's Coppelia?  At least, I believe Franz does at the beginning, although I was looking elsewhere at the time.

Oh, and Different Drummer, but I'm pretty sure you weren't thinking of that one, either.