Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not rich enough for Crystal ballet sadly, but on the plus side, have added up for Chelsea ballet and not as much as I thought it would be so have sent Louise an email wtht a thousand questions in and, assuming the friend who said she could accommodate me for LAB is still around, I might turn up there with you instead! Yay! Just a bit excited...

• Like 1

Well Louise is usually as accommodating as she can be.

Usually each day you can do as much or as little as you want to!

Both the ballet classes are great and in younger days would have done both but usually do slightly more of Michaels morning class then Richards afternoon one. Richards is much faster pace and slightly more difficult ( those Royal feet) but Michael builds up a piece of choreography during the week.

If you enjoy pointe work Bethany Ramsays afternoon class is terrific ( I do on Demi because I love her so much!) and again she works on a piece of choreography all week.

No contemporary this year .....Bethany used to take that....I hope this class will come back again.

Last year Moomin stayed at one of the university colleges sounded quite good.

The studio at Pineapple is the one right at the top.....a workout in itself!! And it's huge and away from the general hubbub and noise of Pineapple. Hope you make it!

• Like 1

Thanks LinMM. A week off work, a week of ballet all day every day with Henry St Clair, Vanessa Fenton and Olivia Cowley, all really fun and inspiring to work with.

I did their Swan Lake last year. Apart from making sure the show is true to choroegraphical spirit they also want to make the dancers look good (i.e. willing to adapt steps to dancers' level). 

It's a good crowd of dancers as well. Really supportive. Can't wait.

Edited by select*from
  • Like 1

Thanks Lin, that's really helpful! Yes, Louise said to pay for the minimum and can do more and pay as you go as it's easier that way. Think I will probably do both ballets and the pilates but only do one pointe class a day as my feet might die if I do more! Just waiting to hear back from my friend to make sure I can still sleep on her sofa and then will send in my booking!

Louise also said that Michael teaches Cecchetti, which I've never actually done before, but am I right in thinking RAD is influenced by Cecchetti anyway? Even if not, I would imagine it won't be a world apart from anything I've done!

Haven't been to Pineapple before so that will be fun haha. Also a lot more accessible than Rambert so that's good. See you there hopefully!

• Like 1

The differences between RAD and Cecchetti are minor, and are about different syllabi for graded training & exams. There are some differences in terminology (names of the arm positions are different for example), and there's the lovely arm position a la the Eros statue in Piccadilly Circus, which I never see in other syllabi, in the Cecchetti set 2nd port de bras.

But I wouldn't get too hung up on the difference in an open ballet class. 

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

Cecchetti attitude arms????

The style and positioning for cecchetti is quite different but I agree it doesn't matter as people will have trained in all different methods so you will be fine, you won't be expected to cecchetti positions, and the basic steps are mainly the same.

• Like 2

Well done Colman great result.

Now onwards and upwards!!

Ha: end of year school show rehearsals started immediately after exams, with the choreography (simplified version of some of the Chalice dance from Swan Lake - there were 17 of us) being finished about four days before the show.

I'd joined the boys* - including my 8 year old - to learn a little bit of one of Siegfried's variations and when our teacher decided she needed to fill eight bars in the adult dance the male dancer got a solo to do. ???? ???? ???? My jeté en tournant could have been better, but nobody died.

Anyway, grade 2 curriculum is broken down into notes and video clips and loaded onto my phone for daily practice.

---

* I have no pride at this stage. If doing a class with 8 and 10 year olds is what it takes to get some different stuff, that's what I'll do. Not a lot of adult male beginner classes, and there's not much time in normal classes to teach me boy's stuff. I'll have to address that in a year or two - I think there's a class in the city I can do when I get a bit more advanced.

• Like 5

Ha: end of year school show rehearsals started immediately after exams, with the choreography (simplified version of some of the Chalice dance from Swan Lake - there were 17 of us) being finished about four days before the show.

I'd joined the boys* - including my 8 year old - to learn a little bit of one of Siegfried's variations and when our teacher decided she needed to fill eight bars in the adult dance the male dancer got a solo to do. My jeté en tournant could have been better, but nobody died.

Anyway, grade 2 curriculum is broken down into notes and video clips and loaded onto my phone for daily practice.

---

* I have no pride at this stage. If doing a class with 8 and 10 year olds is what it takes to get some different stuff, that's what I'll do. Not a lot of adult male beginner classes, and there's not much time in normal classes to teach me boy's stuff. I'll have to address that in a year or two - I think there's a class in the city I can do when I get a bit more advanced.

Reading this has made my day. :)

• Like 2

Just wanted to say that the official end of the Grand Allegro in RAD Grade 7 is the "eros" attitude, so it's not just Cecchetti.  I learnt both at the RBS and actually found the Cecchetti vocational work harder - the adages were all on one leg :(  

Well done all you lovely ladies for taking your dancing so seriously! I think your enthusiasm is inspiring!   Our group of adult ballet ladies performed in one of our end of year shows and did really well.  Some of their chldren learn with us and they were very impressed with their Mums!

I just wanted to add a little anecdote about older ladies who are still dancing long after they should have retired to a comfy armchair - ie myself!   I try and do classes twice a week, so that I can still demonstrate when I teach and because I still love it.  I find a lot of class rather difficult now and sometimes have to mark, but in the last class a visitor came to watch and of course my pride wouldn't let me do less than the best that I can manage nowadays.  I hadn't danced for a week, because of our school performances, but I slowly warmed up and did all the allegro full out, beats, grand jetes and all!  It's quite ridiculous at my age that I still feel the need to perform in front of an audience, but there you are! 

• Like 7

I've put this in Adult Ballet as though my dd is 14 the majority of the participants in the class she went to today (Saturday) were adults.

It was a Daniel Jones Dance Pro Ballet class at Jubilee2 in Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire followed by Dance Stretch. She loved it. I of course was not allowed to watch but it followed the format of an Open class. The participants were a mixture of teachers, dancers, student teachers, serious young students (age 14 plus) & adult returners.

Dd finds Daniel (ex ENB & Big Ballet) a very good teacher able to adapt to different levels & the ladies & gent in the class were really friendly to her.

For beginners there is an alternate class on Friday I think it's called Ballet Fit, followed by Around the World which is basically Character. Dd might try that one when we are back from holiday as its a while since she's done character.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 1

Glad your DD has found a class she's happy in! Interesting too to hear of a younger person taking adult class - so often it ends up the other way round (know how you feel Colman! Every year the age gap between me and the rest of my class grows!).

Lin, have sent my payment, now to book train tickets and try and find somewhere to stay for the Sun night before (train is 3/ as much on Mon morning :o ) and Friday night - have a friend who has said she can have me Mon-Thurs which helps!

• Like 1

Not a good start to the week now all the rehearsals are over for a while.

Monday: I was looking forward to getting back to my ENB classes as I have missed four in trying to preserve my legs through lots of additional Sunday rehearsals . I got on the train at Peterborough as usual, firstly the train stopped at Hitchin then 3 other trains joined us stacked side by side. Then it was announced that there had been a fire in a signal box at Kings Cross and it had to be evacuated, late came an announcement to say the signal box was in operation again and we would soon be departing, the other trains did, then we slowly crawled out of the station and came to a halt again, this time there was something wrong with the train , another announcement “ A Thunderbirds Locomotive was coming out to rescue us, well it never came, later we crawled to Stevenage station where the train withdrew from service and we had to catch another one in. A 50minute journey took over three and a half hours. Needless to say I missed the first class but managed to do the second.

Tuesday; normally our rehearsal day except now our show is over, we have a series of four 2 hour master classes with guest teachers arranged for us. Our first was at the Place Nr Kings Cross, it was really hot that day, my car indicated 35.5 ºC on the way in, the studio was very hot too, but never the less I still enjoyed it. I even learnt a new step, a Russian pas de chat also know as a grand pas de chat, that was fun, some of our dancers preferred to stay with a standard pas de chat. At the end we had a nice stretching session, I was fine until we were sat down with our legs apart in second, and I came to drop down on to my elbows as I can when I’m warmed up, I could feel the tightness in my right leg since my last injury, so I didn’t push it, then I felt something give, that was not a nice feeling and I instantly released the stretch. At the moment other than the presents of the pull I don’t think its done any lasting damage, at least I hope not.

When I got back to Kings Cross for home, there were still quite a lot of disruption in the train service, my train had been cancelled, Grrr

Wednesday; My first class is a Fitness class, at just after 8am I got a telephone call from my instructor there to say no classes as the centre is closed. There had been a shooting on Tuesday and three were killed . I guess the Fitness centre at Spalding is now a crime scene.

On the bright side Adrian my boyfriend made his debut by performing our Le Corsaire PDD with me in front of my Glen Ballet group, apart from one little slip of the hands in a promenade it went really well for him. Our Glen ballet group congratulating him on his performance, I think that has done wonders for his confidence, especially as we are taking this PDD up to Ballet West for polishing in a few weeks time.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Things are going to feel a bit strange for the next month as several of my classes will be on Summer break, ENB, and the Alive Ballet Company are still running, together with one of my local smaller classes.

Not only that but I have had to make some significant changes to my weekly schedule, mainly due to availability of studio space. However in the search for alternative studio space I came across a Ballet school near where my boyfriend lives that does Progressing Ballet Technique. Although no studios for hire, I did manage to try their last 3 Progressing Ballet Technique classes before the summer break. The last session I had with RAD’s Adult Associates at Elmhurst gave us an introduction to this by one of their body conditioning teachers, whilst its quite fun its also quite challenging, especially the routines using the large 80cm balls.

On the bright side its only 2 weeks to go before my one-2-one weeks Intensive at Ballet West in Scotland. I know I shouldn’t be considering making changes to the pieces we are taking up there this year, however I came across a beautiful piece of music for my Gamzatti variation from La Bayadere / Le Corsaire, although I thought it was slightly slower, on checking it , it is the same, but it does have quite a distinct rhyme in the background that sounds a little bit like a cha cha, for me that really brings out the musicality in the dance. I particularly like the travelling turn section of the single pose, double pose, chaine, chaine, repeated twice, they seem to just glide through on the music, its just beautiful. My original music has a more strict tempo. However the new piece has an awful beginning that cannot properly be anticipated, it almost as if the orchestra is taking its queue from the dancer as she does her introductory port de bras/ change of weight and hits 5th with left hand on the first strike of the orchestra. Although I can get quite close, I really don’t feel comfortable with it, so I have reluctantly reverted to my original. In its port de bras from standard prep, it has a raising right arm with the music (almost gliding), the music halts momentarily, that signals an immediate change of weight, and arms through first to left high , the arrival of the left high should co-inside with the next strike of the orchestra, open palm punctuates it. That works well for me, so on balance I’m sticking reluctantly to the original

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

Like Michelle's, my classes are on summer break. I also received some bad news a couple of weeks ago, in that a teacher that I have been going to for nearly 20 years has decided that she can't cope with teaching any longer. I'm really going to miss her varied and challenging classes. There are some private hires running at the DanceXchange over the summer, but these are of a far too high standard for my limited ability. Luckily I have found a class that is running through the summer, way over the other side of Birmingham, so I am getting a bit of ballet in.  It wil be nice to be back at the DX come September.

With the lack of classes, Ive been slipping in a couple of extra gym sessions. Where I go, there is a studio which has Les Mills Virtual classes running. Almost nobody goes in there, so I have the place to myself and I can do my own barre (using a stack of Reebok steps as the barre) and dance a few sequences (albeit to inappropriate music). I also started skipping, in a effort to speed up my slow feet - seems to be working too :)

• Like 1

KNT in Manchester stays open throughout the summer except for August bank holiday Monday (see the timetable at http://www.manchesterdanceclasses.co.uk/?page_id=18).

So, too, does KNT Liverpool (see http://www.manchesterdanceclasses.co.uk/liverpool/?page_id=18)and Dance Studio Leeds (see http://thedancestudioleeds.com/timetable/).

• Like 1