Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

Hi Michelle

I haven't been on the Forum for a wee while so am sorry to hear about your knee is still an issue but at least you now know what it is.  I had the same problem a while ago and saw a Dance Physio who was absolutely brilliant but I don't mean to be a harbinger of doom, but, I was advised not to load my knee in any way and so could only do barre with no grand plies, no fondu, and no centre work where I was working through my knee and absolutely no jumping.  I did what she said and did all the exercises religiously and eventually moved on from the foam roller/towel under my knee to squat and eventually being able to load the knee with the issue.  It took weeks though, but it paid off greatly.  She also put KT Tape on my knee and that also helped.  Unfortunately I have since all of that injured my knee through landing really badly from a jump and my patella was out of place and I have had anterior knee pain ever since.  So it is back to physio again but I am definitely on the mend and again have had to cut back on lots of different exercises in class.  I hope you will be ok in time for all your adventures to Ballet West and subsequent performances with your partner but just take care and look after that knee!

Best wishes

Esme

• Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if anyone has heard any more about the LAB Summer Intensive. I got some details (date, location, price) out of them a few months ago but it has all gone very quiet and nothing on the Facebook page since March; no reply to my Facebook message or email. Are they just very busy or has something happened? Any idea when booking will open? Just so I can decide whether I need to make plans or not...

I think Lisa Probert is running what is the "remains" of the weekly LAB still at least 40 strong I believe and they have a show in London at the rambert school on sat July 23rd the only thing is that it's not called LAB anymore but can find out by tomorrow what it is called now!!

I think from the beginning of 2016 Tom Linecar Boulton was still going to run the intensives at least.

But perhaps this has changed in the last month?

They used to be very upfront with advertising their events so the silence is worrying then and I've certainly had nothing on my Facebook page from LAB at all.

I think Tom is building up a ballet school in Milton Keynes at the moment ( for children mostly) and this is where his focus is at present.

When it folded after the show last December he did say something to us about possible future ventures which I won't reveal here because it was a private comment etc but I can PM you if you would like.

Ah thanks Lin! Like you, I thought it was strange not to hear anything, so I was wondering if something like that had happened. I'd be interested to hear about his possible future ventures so feel free to PM, but don't worry if you don't feel comfortable saying! Hm... wonder whether I should assume it's not happening then.

A slightly less worrying poll than the one being conducted today on the European Union.

Karen Sant of KNT Danceworks at the Dancehouse in Manchester placed the following notice on her Facebook page last night:

"*** KNT DANCEWORKS SUMMER BALLET INTENSIVES! ***

Okay... time for me to get things planned for this year's summer intensives.

Each intensive will go on for 3 days and will be taught by the lovely Jane Tucker who knows us quite well by now!

A few questions for you:

What dates suit you?

Beginners: 15th - 17th August or 18th - 20th August?
Advanced: 15th - 17th August or 18th - 20th August?

What repertoire would you like to learn?

The intensives will be held at The Dancehouse Theatre in Manchester.

The prices are £200 for one summer intensive (3 days) or £350 for two summer intensives (6 days). There is a £50 non refundable deposit included in the price to secure your place.

Our past summer school have been great fun so I hope to see you there :-)

Thanks,
Karen"

Jane Tucker teaches at Northern Ballet Academy and she is a very good teacher. I attend her improvers' classes in Leeds on Wednesday evenings and I think the world of her. Last year she ran intensive courses in Manchester on Swan Lake for beginners and advanced dancers and this April she ran a shorter one day course on Romeo and Juliet at the same venue.    

I attended the beginners courses for both ballets and you can find out what happened in the following articles:

Romeo & Juliet one day course http://jelterps.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/we-had-stab-at-that-knts-romeo-and.html

In answer to Karen's poll I have told her that I am happy with either date and I have seconded a suggestion that we do La Bayadere.

If you are in or can get to Manchester in August I thoroughly recommend those courses.

• Like 2

Do you know how advanced is "advanced"?

Somebody told me that some courses out of London where it says advanced are probably intermediate at best ( which would suit me) or a sort of higher improvers level class.

Somebody told me that some courses out of London where it says advanced are probably intermediate at best ( which would suit me) or a sort of higher improvers level class.

I think Michelle Richer would be well placed to answer that question as she attended the advanced classes at KNT whereas I attended the beginners' classes.

I can tell you that the beginners' class wasn't that easy.

It would be nice to see you if you could come up to Manchester.   You could even stay at my pad and we could drive in together.

Well, I haven't taken class at KNT, but the Advanced classes at DanceXchange are at an Advanced level - the one on Saturday morning was taken by a teacher who said she set us the same class as she'd set for a professional class. 

• Like 1

The advanced level one will be quite advanced - not professional level, but definitely a good bit more than intermediate. I attended both the beginners and advanced courses last year (my legs took quite a while to forgive me for it!) and they were both a lot of fun, so no mater which one you could make it to I reckon you'd have a good time! :)

There's also been no decision on repertoire yet so if you've got anything you'd like to do, feel free to make a suggestion!

I couldn't see anything about this one on the fb page but for the previous it says:

Beginners- complete beginners and beginners

Advanced- intermediate and advanced

I suppose it depends who they get attending but the vast majority of adults are between beginner and true advanced (which I would think of as able to perform the advanced 1/2 syllabus to exam standard), more like early vocational grade level? So probably will be a mixture in each class depending on personality? ????

I was just interested because it's an Adult course and it's not that I wouldn't go up to Manchester for a course but as its intensive for three days it probably wouldn't suit me any more as I only like dancing up to max 3-4 hours on any one day and then to repeat this for three days running if was MORE than this would be too much unfortunately.

I will be doing a Summer Course in London....Chelsea Ballet one ...and what I like about this is as you can do as much or little as you want on any one day and you just pay for what you do. I can cope with this and 3 hours is max I would do in one day there. Just dancing EVERY day even one class a day for six days is enough of a challenge!!

I do like repertoire workshops but the odd day here and there is enough as I dance with Alive Ballet so get lots of rep with them.

In a repertoire workshop situation I tend to like to go to a lower level not more than Intermediate ....so that gives me at least a chance to perform with some degree of style ( if I dare use that word) so probably beginners better than advanced ......if advanced means RAD advanced one or above.

It's not that I couldn't cope with a more advanced level class sometimes .....but with rep want to be able to "dance" it.

What I had heard was that when you get "out in the countryside" ......so Manchester wouldn't really count of course...classes that are called "advanced" are really more advanced beginners than advanced in a truly syllabus type sense.

Suggestions for rep for Manchester .....well I think Coppelia is a nice dancey one to do or bits from Ashton's Cinderella or even the Dream or Fille!! But I know most people like the big classics more like Swan Lake... ...Bayadere....Corsaire Etc ...Don Q could be fun as well.

Thankyou for your offer by the way Terpsichore!! One of these days!

I may consider doing a one day Rep course up there at some point if it's offered again.

Just out of interest exactly how long will each day be on this intensive? How does the day pan out with breaks etc.

Because I am lucky enough to be able to access London reasonably easily I've attended workshops on Swan Lake Nutcracker Corsaire Cinderella and Giselle.....at least three on the latter!! So of the big classics perhaps Sleeping Beauty would be good too .....for Manchester intensive that is.

For more beginners though fun can be had with Coppelia because you could almost recreate whole scenes by teaching different groups different bits and them put them together ... eg ....when they break into his workshop and activate the dolls..And there are some nice solos for more advanced like "prayer" and "dawn" and some of Swanhildas solos.

But you could also have a lot of fun with second act of Giselle if this hasn't been offered up there before too.

Oh, sad, I am away for the KNT one - BalletRocks1 you did suggest it to me on Facebook a while ago and I was going to check, but I'm away :( And finances won't stretch to Chelsea ballet.

If LAB is a no go I might end up at the Ballet Retreat in Leeds with a couple of other people I know. It's more expensive per day but shorter so better than nothing!

Oh, sad, I am away for the KNT one - BalletRocks1 you did suggest it to me on Facebook a while ago and I was going to check, but I'm away :( And finances won't stretch to Chelsea ballet.

If LAB is a no go I might end up at the Ballet Retreat in Leeds with a couple of other people I know. It's more expensive per day but shorter so better than nothing!

And with Hannah and David K involved it will be fabulous!

• Like 2

Hi LinMM

KNT did Giselle's "Dance of the Willis" last year at Manchester, it was a really nice piece but quite long, you would have enjoyed it. They also did Giselle’s solo from Act 1 too, I know there was potentially another piece for that intensive, but I think the length of dance of the Willis from Act2 probably consumed it

If you’re looking for Sleeping Beauty, RAD at Elmhurst are running a Workshop on the 3rd of July 10.15am to 12.45pm, but that may be closed now, but anyone wanting to check its availability, contact Louise Gould, at RAD Midlands.

RAD at Elmhurst are also doing Don Quixote on the 4th of December 10.15am to 12.45pm, I may check them out on that one.

Hey everyone!

Just an update on the KNT Danceworks summer intensives - this is Karen's most recent post:

*** KNT DANCEWORKS SUMMER BALLET INTENSIVES ***

* REPERTOIRE CONFIRMED - La Bayadère *

15th - 17th August: Beginners Ballet Intensive
18th - 20th August: Advanced Ballet Intensive

The intensives will be held at The Dancehouse Theatre in Manchester and taught by the lovely Jane Tucker (Northern Ballet Theatre) who has taught at KNT Danceworks several times now and knows us well.

Your average day will start with a warm up/body conditioning session, a ballet class and end with repertoire classes. The repertoire you'll be learning is from the beautiful ballet La Bayadère.

Please comment below if you're interested in/want to book yourself on our intensive and I will send you a registration form and more info as soon as I have it.

The prices are £200 for one summer intensive (3 days) or £350 for two summer intensives (6 days). There is a £50 non refundable deposit included in the price to secure your place.

Our past summer schools have been great fun so I hope to see you there :-)

Thanks,

Karen

I can't make the whole thing this year due to work, but it would be great if some of you could make it! :)

• Like 2

Did any of you lovely ladies attend the jazz class at KNT tonight in Manchester?

No - I was next door in ballet whilst jazz was on, and I popped through at the end of the jazz class as my second class was in the same studio!

• Like 1

Here is another London Adult Ballet Intensive run by Kim Amundsen, one time one of my LAB Teachers.

Dear dance friends I'm doing a Dance Summer Intensive at The Place for two days on the 23rd and 24th of July. Live music with amazing Simone Sistarelli. 60min Barre a Terre ,60min neon classic ballet class and 2 hours Choreographic workshop. I would appreciate if you could share this message around to other dance friends so as many as possible get the chance to join. Many thanks in advance. Kim Amundsen xxx

#balletdancer #dancer #Fitness #BarreaTerre #balletclass #contemorarydance #jazzdancer #amateurs #Intermediate #recovery #corestrenght #maledancer #femaledancer #professional #strength #ballet #neoclassicalballet #floorbarre

https://www.facebook.com/events/910715679075109/?ti=cl

Would love to go but it's the day after the last day of school and a long way (time and money-wise) to come all the way to London just for 2 days :( And not sure I'd be great at neoclassical... If they did a longer one I would be tempted! Michelle, don't suppose you know anything about LAB intensive and whether it is going ahead or not? Can't seem to contact anyone so assumed it wasn't, but someone else thought it still was. If so, is there anyone you can put me in contact with? Thanks :)

I'm pretty sure LAB intensive is NOT going ahead

However I can find out if Lisa Probert who sort of took over after LAB went is running something.

If she is I'm sure it will,be worth going to but she is involved in her show which is on July 23rd at mo so not sure what is happening but as I know people attending her classes I can ask them if she has mentioned anything.

It could get missed as it won't be under LAB name!!

• Like 1

I did ask Lisa and got a very simple reply “Tom organises LAB stuff”, so nothing given away there. I will see Tom on Monday the 18th, as I’m with Ballet Cymru this coming Monday, so I will ask Tom when I see him, but I strongly suspect LinMM is right, it may well not happen.

• Like 1

I have heard though of a week intensive based on Giselle with Crystal Ballet Company. Hopefully there may be places on this course?

If you go to,website you can find out dates etc but I know it's not far off as a girl dancing with Alive Company is doing it.

I think it's the first week of August but not sure of venue.

That week I'm doing Chelsea Ballet Summer School which is another six day course you might like to consider. Do PM me if you want fuller details of this one

The Crystal Ballet Giselle is going from 31st July to 7th Aug. Rehearsals at Union Theatre in Southwark.

End of course performance is on 7th Aug at Greenwood Theatre at London Bridge.

As far as I know there are still vacancies.

Link here

(Info correct as at time of posting. I have no commercial interest in Crystal Ballet... I'll be participating in this course!)

• Like 1