Royal Ballet 2012-2013 season

Wow - a new Ratmansky, In the Night .... it's beyond my wildest dreams. Plenty of others to look forward to. Let's hope we have some interesting casting to liven up the old warhorses/cash cows of the RB rep. Just for starters I'd invite Vladimir Shklyarov (?) of the Mariinsky to dance Solor, oh and maybe we could have Sergei back for that too.

Interesting, certainly. By reputation, "Las Hermanas" is a MacMillan piece I'd hoped to see one day, and there's lots more besides. And I'm naturally delighted that Cathy Marston's Bern:Ballett will be back next May ...... maybe with her "Midwinter's Night Dream" which I have still to see?

Also perked up to see one of Bruce's DanceTabs tweets suggesting RB tours to Northern Ireland and Suffolk (At what scale? Dance East? Aldeburgh?) as well as Japan and Monte Carlo. Is the dam breaking at last?

My son is hugely excited about The Wind in the Willows. I'm excited about a lot of others but in these difficult times one has to choose and I think the young 'uns should have first pick.

I've never been to ROH2 or the Linbury Studio and since the site's jampacked I can't get in to check. Are tickets for these the same or cheaper than the main stage? Can't imagine they would be more expensive.

12 main stage programmes, 123 performances, (m = matinée)

Swan Lake x20 performances - Oct 8, 10, 11, 12, 13m, 13, 15, 17m, 17, 23, 25, 27; Nov 6, 9, 10m, 10 15, 22, 24m, 24

Viscera (Scarlett) / Infra (McGregor) / Fool’s Paradise (Wheeldon) x6 - Nov 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 14

All-MacMillan programme: Concerto / Las Hermanas / Requiem x 6 - Nov 17, 21, 27, 29, 30; Dec 5

The Nutcracker x19 - Dec 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 23m, 27m, 27, 28, 31; Jan 1, 2m, 2, 5m, 8, 12m, 12, 15, 16

The Firebird (Fokine) / In the Night (Robbins) / Raymonda Act III (Petipa & Nureyev) x6 - Dec 22m, 29, 29; Jan 4, 9, 11

Onegin (Cranko) x13 - Jan 19, 22, 23, 25, 26m, 30, 31; Feb 1, 2m, 2, 5, 7, 8

All-Ashton programme: La Valse / Thaïs pdd / Voices of Spring pdd / Monotones I & II / Marguerite and Armand x5 - Feb 12, 13, 15, 21, 23

Apollo (Balanchine) / NEW Wheeldon / NEW Ratmansky x5 - Feb 22, 23m; March 7, 9m, 14

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (Wheeldon) x11 - March 15, 19, 21, 23m, 25, 27, 28; April 2, 6m, 11, 13

La Bayadère x12 - April 5, 9, 12, 20m, 27m; May 1, 2, 6m, 6, 13, 14, 22

Mayerling (MacMillan) x 13 - April 19, 25, 30; May 3m, 30; June 1m, 1, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13, 15

Raven Girl (NEW McGregor) / Symphony in C (Balanchine) x7 - May 24, 28, 29m 29; June 3, 8m, 8

With reference to costs in Linbury - I took my grand-daughter to see Magical Night last Christmas - costs were about £23 for me and £14 for her (but it was a shorter ballet than Wind in the Willows). When Wind in the Willows was last on, I think the costs were very reasonable compared with the main stage and again the children were half price. Hope that helps.

Also perked up to see one of Bruce's DanceTabs tweets suggesting RB tours to Northern Ireland and Suffolk (At what scale? Dance East? Aldeburgh?) as well as Japan and Monte Carlo. Is the dam breaking at last?

There's a collaboration with Dance East involving a new piece by Brandstrup, so that's probably the Suffolk bit (will also be done at Sadler's Wells, I understand).

I find it annoying that the RB will be opening with Swan Lake because this could have a detrimental effect on the ticket sales for ENB's Swan Lake in August. ENB has far less money than the RB and really relies on the big classics at the Coli to balance the books and subsidise less popular (with the public) programmes. Could they not have chosen something else from their vast repertoire to open their season? I for one will not be going to the RB's Swan Lake.

This looks to be a varied and interesting season. Kevin O'Hare has clearly set his stall out, and I like the wares on it! Aileen, the RB and ENB sometimes do have the same ballets running concurrently, for example The Nutcracker this past Christmas, both of which played to packed houses the whole time. Many people will choose to go to the Coli instead of the ROH because ticket prices there are generally lower.

There's a collaboration with Dance East involving a new piece by Brandstrup, so that's probably the Suffolk bit (will also be done at Sadler's Wells, I understand).

Talking about Brandstrup, I was about to say that if we have to have La Valse back again I'd have appreciated another chance to see Invitus Invitam, too.

(This is really weird. I could have sworn I'd posted this just before Sim posted hers. How odd).

I do have to say, though, that yet again none of my wishlist for the past few years are on the list. Oh well, I'll keep hoping.

I find it annoying that the RB will be opening with Swan Lake because this could have a detrimental effect on the ticket sales for ENB's Swan Lake in August.

I would rather doubt that. The London ballet audience may be starting to get withdrawal symptoms by August, especially as the Russians aren't coming this summer. The ENB shows are on sale already, the RB ones won't be for a few months yet. ENB's Coliseum season coincides with the Olympics which I would have thought would be a good thing for them though some anticipate the London theatres losing out.

Both companies (all companies) rely on Swan Lake as a banker.

Interestingly, I see that the Royal Opera is doing Meyerbeer's Robert le Diable - that's the one with the ballet of the (very naughty) nuns in it, isn't it? Shall be intrigued to see how that goes ...

John, the ENB tickets may be on sale already but a lot of people book quite late. My daughter and I will definitely be going but we haven't yet booked; there's not the same scramble for tickets as there is at the ROH. Those people who have no particular allegiance to ENB and just want to see Swan Lake might decide to wait for the RB's which is only a couple of months later. The Nutcracker is different; you expect it to be performed around Christmas. Sim, the RB's Nutcracker may have been sold out but I don't think that ENB's was although it sold well. I seem to remember that there were empty seats at the performances which I attended, and I was able to book a seat for a performance with ENB's top pairing at very short notice.

I find it annoying that the RB will be opening with Swan Lake because this could have a detrimental effect on the ticket sales for ENB's Swan Lake in August. ENB has far less money than the RB and really relies on the big classics at the Coli to balance the books and subsidise less popular (with the public) programmes. Could they not have chosen something else from their vast repertoire to open their season? I for one will not be going to the RB's Swan Lake.

The RB Swan Lake starts almost two months after the ENB one finishes at the Coli. I doubt that RB doing Swan Lake will have any impact whatsoever on the ENB ticket sales.

The RB also relies on the big classics to balance its books btw and these days Swan Lake is the ultimate banker. Most likely we'll not see a Swan Lake free RB season for a few years!

I finally managed to look at the seating plan of the Linbury Theatre and have a question which I'm posting here since I don't know where else it should go. We usually pick the orchestra stalls in the main auditorium, from row H onwards, as central and as close as we can get. Would the equivalent here be Lower Gallery, row E onwards? It looks as if C or D might be too close but I have absolutely no idea.Thanks for any help.

I finally managed to look at the seating plan of the Linbury Theatre and have a question which I'm posting here since I don't know where else it should go. We usually pick the orchestra stalls in the main auditorium, from row H onwards, as central and as close as we can get. Would the equivalent here be Lower Gallery, row E onwards? It looks as if C or D might be too close but I have absolutely no idea.Thanks for any help.

If rows A-D are in use, try to avoid row E as it's not raked as much as the rest of the seating. Most of the seats from row F back are good.

John, the ENB tickets may be on sale already but a lot of people book quite late. My daughter and I will definitely be going but we haven't yet booked; there's not the same scramble for tickets as there is at the ROH.

Same for me - will definitely be going just need to know casting!!!

Why is it that companies like the RB can give us casting well in advance of booking, while ENB and BRB seem to give us this information at very short notice - makes travel very difficult!!

Not only ENB but BRB are on in September with Swan Lake at The Lowry and later in their season. I beggars belief how the 3 big companies in the UK always seem to clash - so this season it's Swan Lake, last season it was a surfeit of Cinderellas. They ought to speak to each other. As for the RB season I can only say thank goodness Mayerling and Onegin are on, too much Wheeldon and McGregor for me so that'll save me loads of money.