Whilst most of us will be delighted to see Onegin returning, I’m also excited about the rep for the April Paris Opera Ballet School performances. As usual they offer excellent ballets that we rarely see: in 2025 a Tudor ballet, that I confess I know nothing about, Continuo, and some Bournonville excerpts from Napoli, plus Bejart’s ever popular Seven Greek Dances. POB already has a version of Sylvia ( by Neumeier) so it’s interesting they are to mount Legris’s production. Johan Inger’s onward march continues.

• Like 4

Lucky Paris!  Is this any indication that the likelihood of getting Onegin in London is now very much diminished, or does it have little bearing?  I can’t give up the dream just yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion I’m going to be left disappointed.  Better get saving for a trip to Paris I guess.

2 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

Lucky Paris!  Is this any indication that the likelihood of getting Onegin in London is now very much diminished, or does it have little bearing?  I can’t give up the dream just yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion I’m going to be left disappointed.  Better get saving for a trip to Paris I guess.

The gap between the last 2 runs of Onegin by the Royal Ballet was 5 years (both predominantly in February) and before that it was every two to three years - Monica Mason was fond of the ballet, I presume! So it's got a good chance of coming back next season : 2015, 2020, 2025....? I don't think Paris Opera plans have much to do with the Royal Ballet, other than perhaps not to have the ballet on the exact same time ie not February  this time, as the Cranko repetiteurs will be busy in Paris at the time. 

Edited by Emeralds
Just realised Paris Opera Ballet is staging Onegin in February 2025.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SheilaC said:

I’m also excited about the rep for the April Paris Opera Ballet School performances. As usual they offer excellent ballets that we rarely see: in 2025 a Tudor ballet, that I confess I know nothing about, Continuo, and some Bournonville excerpts from Napoli, plus Bejart’s ever popular Seven Greek Dances.

Here's a small (but not comprehensive) history about Antony Tudor's Continuo:

• Tudor created it in May 1971 for the Juilliard Dance Ensemble.
  • Syracuse Ballet Theatre gave the first professional performance in February 1976.
  • Rudolf Nureyev programmed it as part of the Paris Opera Ballet's all-Tudor program in February 1985.
  • The American Ballet Theatre (ABT) Studio Company presented it in April 2003.
  • ABT itself performed it in October 2008 as part of a Tudor Centennial Celebration.
  • ABT's affiliated Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis school showed it in April 2020.

Continuo has a pedigree of sorts but it's mostly performed by small companies or students. So, it's ideal for the Paris Opera Ballet School.

Edited by miliosr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Onegin will also be performed on various dates thoughout 24/25 by Bavarian State Ballet in Munich as well. It's getting like No10 buses! 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 3

So if Onegin is so popular why aren't the RB bringing it back? I assume it's not like the Bayadere situation where they're afraid of offending people with cultural appropriation, as I don't think any of that applies in the story... I personally haven't seen it but would really like to. Might go and see the Paris Opera's one.

Today’s Le Figaro has a very interesting article on developments at the Paris Opera. I will summarise some of the main points but as I don’t always fully understand the dense language used in the French quality press I may miss some nuances, please correct if necessary.

The director, Alexander Neef, and Jose Martinez, director of dance, stressed that there is a genuine attempt to fully involve all staff across the Opera in the decisions. Both theatres will be closed, first the Garnier then the Bastille, for at least a year each, to  modernise their technology and scenery, and the Bastille will be opened up during the day, but these developments are unlikely to take place until 2027 at the earliest.

Although seat prices will continue to rise the aim is to hold a third of seats at below 50 Euros but charging 170 Euros for ballet for those who are willing to pay.

Ballet schools will be opened in Japan, Corea and Brazil, in addition to the existing one in Chile. With the live Bolshoi cinema performances disappearing the POB will replace them with Pathe Live. In 2025 the Garnier will celebrate150 years of the theatre with galas.

A junior ballet company of 18 dancers will be formed, supported by Chanel. They will have a 24 month contract, and will benefit from further training and will take part in major ballet productions such as Sleeping Beauty. The Nureyev Foundation will assist in developing his productions to make them more appropriate for modern audiences.

This is just a brief summary of a very complex article and focusing on ballet, there was much more on opera and developments for the musicians.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

Today’s Le Figaro has a very interesting article on developments at the Paris Opera. I will summarise some of the main points but as I don’t always fully understand the dense language used in the French quality press I may miss some nuances, please correct if necessary.

The director, Alexander Neef, and Jose Martinez, director of dance, stressed that there is a genuine attempt to fully involve all staff across the Opera in the decisions. Both theatres will be closed, first the Garnier then the Bastille, for at least a year each, to  modernise their technology and scenery, and the Bastille will be opened up during the day, but these developments are unlikely to take place until 2027 at the earliest.

Although seat prices will continue to rise the aim is to hold a third of seats at below 50 Euros but charging 170 Euros for ballet for those who are willing to pay.

Ballet schools will be opened in Japan, Corea and Brazil, in addition to the existing one in Chile. With the live Bolshoi cinema performances disappearing the POB will replace them with Pathe Live. In 2025 the Garnier will celebrate150 years of the theatre with galas.

A junior ballet company of 18 dancers will be formed, supported by Chanel. They will have a 24 month contract, and will benefit from further training and will take part in major ballet productions such as Sleeping Beauty. The Nureyev Foundation will assist in developing his productions to make them more appropriate for modern audiences.

This is just a brief summary of a very complex article and focusing on ballet, there was much more on opera and developments for the musicians.

Wow, great to see this huge investment into ballet. 

Do you have the article link?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lady emily said:

Isn't the Cranko estate notoriously very stingy with allowing performances? 

I think it might be due to the limited number of available Cranko repetiteurs who can supervise the stagings; while they don't necessarily have to stay for the entire run of performances, they would want to ensure that the casts are all performing the work at the standard that it should be danced (and nothing is being altered), and not just the first cast.

Hence if POB were staging it in February, RB can't stage it at the same time. But if no other company is requesting it in autumn, or perhaps summer, then RB could do it then. Onegin is in the repertoire of a lot of companies so it's possible that it has to be booked in advance; there could be a fee for doing so - or a rule forbidding companies from "hogging" slots eg by booking every year in advance, for example. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Legris version of Sylvia is much closer the mid-20th-C traditional POB versions than to the late-1990s Neumeier version, which was more modern and fashionable in its own way.

The more traditional POB version is based on versions staged by Staats (1929), Lifar (1949), & Darsonval (1979)…the Legris version has elements of those editions (what I saw from Vienna in 2018). 

For me, the return of a traditional Sylvia to POB is a plus.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 3

On 22/03/2024 at 10:38, alison said:

Not to mention that the sets and costumes have to be borrowed, don't they?  Unless the company has their own, which the RB doesn't, I believe.

There are several options with the Onegin sets and costumes, you don't have to use the Jürgen Rose design - but if you want to use it and need to make the sets from scratch for a production, then it's very expensive in the meantime, as all the sets are painted by hand, not printed, as most sets are nowadays. It's simply a question of money - as is Neumeier's Lady of the Camellias, which unlike Onegin cannot be played without the Rose costumes, which makes the production horrendously expensive. Rose insists on a certain quality of the fabrics, that's why it looks so gorgeous.

On 22/03/2024 at 06:48, Emeralds said:

Isn't the Cranko estate notoriously very stingy with allowing performances? 

[Moderators: The quote immediately above was originally from lady emily (1542 on 21 March)]

Onegin has been staged in almost 40 companies worldwide, I would not call that stingy.

3 hours ago, Angela said:

I would not call that stingy.

@Angela. not quite sure what convoluted editing you've done there, but that's not my quote or question that you have attributed to me. 

In fact, you agreed completely with my actual words "Onegin is in the repertoire of a lot of companies".

I've also already answered the original query by explaining that it's not that they are being stingy, but they have to be available in person to oversed the staging and if too many companies want to perform Onegin all at the same time, the Cranko estate repetiteurs can't be in different cities or countries simultaneously. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

Not to mention that the sets and costumes have to be borrowed, don't they?  Unless the company has their own, which the RB doesn't, I believe.

RB always says in the programmes that they use the Hamburg Ballet ones. I wonder where the ENB ones from the 1980s and 1990s went (the fairly thorough programme notes at the time didn't say they were borrowed.....) 

If this was the RB season I’d be very happy.

it’s an excellent mix of (less mainstream) classical works plus some contemporary and new works. In short something for everyone! 

My one quibble with be I’d be less keen on “double bills” of less than 2 hours long so I’d hope the ROH wouldn’t replicate that but if it was part of this wider mixed repertoire it would be a happy trade off all things considered. 

• Like 3

On 22/03/2024 at 18:00, Emeralds said:

@Angela. not quite sure what convoluted editing you've done there, but that's not my quote or question that you have attributed to me. 

It was a quote within a quote (i.e. Angela quoted from Emeralds post quoting lady emily).  I have put a note on this in the original post and as Angela has apologised, I think we can leave that and move on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

At last a more than promising season, after more than ten years where POB has progressively abandoned classical ballet (the current season was already a significant improvement compared to previous ones).

I am really glad that Sylvia and Paquita are back again in repertoire, chiefly with a classical approach for Sylvia. The only slight disappointment is that Paquita will be at Bastille, while it was originally played at Garnier. This means that the sets will be "lost" in this wide auditorium (like Swan Lake when it was transferred to Bastille).

The come back of Sleeping Beauty is also great news. At last, after so many years! I just wonder how Mr Martinez will manage to find enough soloists to cast the numerous variations of this ballet. Chiefly for such a long run of performances - POB does not have currently the number of amazing soloists that RB has, the level is not on the same planet, though a new generation full of potential is emerging. But anyway at last the dancers will have the opportunity to perform this masterpiece and the more they will perform it the more they will improve.

Onegin, I guess there will be performances with Dorothée Gilbert (not to be missed in this role, she is one of the greatest Tatiana). And a Forsythe evening is a good choice.

Overall I am more and more confident that Mr Martinez will do a really good job at POB. This season is a first step into a kind of Renaissance...

Edited by Paco
  • Like 4