Marcelino Sambe guesting in Paris Opera Ballet’s La Fille mal Gardee

Ooh la la! Marcelino is dancing with Bleuenn Battistoni as Lise on 24, 26 and 31 March. He has danced Colas before of course - feels like ages and ages ago.... Hayward was his Lise. Should have booked their performance as well as Marquez/Campbell if I'd had a crystal ball and known we would have such a long Fille drought!

I notice that in this run, Martinez is giving a lot of younger dancers the opportunity to dance the leads: the only etoile cast as Lise is Leonore Baulac; among the men, Heymann and Diop are the only etoiles dancing Colas. 

25 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Ooh la la! Marcelino is dancing with Bleuenn Battistoni as Lise on 24, 26 and 31 March. He has danced Colas before of course - feels like ages and ages ago.... Hayward was his Lise. Should have booked their performance as well as Marquez/Campbell if I'd had a crystal ball and known we would have such a long Fille drought!

I very much hope this drought ends next year! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

I notice that in this run, Martinez is giving a lot of younger dancers the opportunity to dance the leads: the only etoile cast as Lise is Leonore Baulac; among the men, Heymann and Diop are the only etoiles dancing Colas. 

I don't follow POB very closely, but I get the impression that that's been done in previous runs too?

1 hour ago, alison said:

I don't follow POB very closely, but I get the impression that that's been done in previous runs too?

Yes, I think a number of premiere danseuses and premier danseurs were cast in the roles previously, while a number of sujets have been cast this time. What's interesting is that opening night won't be danced by Baulac (the most highly ranked ballerina) but by Marine Ganio (if the surname sounds familiar, yes, she is the younger sister of Mathieu Ganio and daughter of  Dominique Khalfouni and Denys Ganio) who is a sujet. Her Colas, Jack Gasztowtt, is also a sujet. (Marine danced Lise in 2015 and Jack has danced Bratfisch and one of the Hungarian officers). Lucky Paris to have so many performances of Fille to see.....and Sambe! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Would love to see Sambe’ and Hayward together in Fille 

They were brilliant in the last run.  Just as  I was mourning the retirement of Roberta Marquez, one of my all-time favourite Lises, along came those two and made me feel a whole lot better!

• Like 7

Honestly Sim what do I know about anything pretty much these days!! 
I was just looking to see when I last saw Fille and guess what it was on Oct 7 th 2016 ( far too long ago) and guess who was dancing : Sambe’ and Hayward!!!! I even wrote a review on the Forum lol!!! Considering I really enjoyed it and thought they were lovely together you would think I’d remember I’d seen them!! 
So here’s to seeing Sambe’ and Hayward AGAIN in Fille then….mind you 8 years ago is definitely too long to have seen this ballet!! 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Martinez is giving a lot of younger dancers the opportunity to dance the leads

In this respect the POB AD had the right idea. I’ve said it elsewhere before. I think this is the perfect ballet for younger audiences and for non-principal company members (with the requisite skills) to hone their craft on in the lead roles which are a couple of teenagers out to have fun. Leo Dixon, Mariko Sasaki,  Liam Boswell, Madison Bailey, Marco Masciari, Viola Pantuso… the list is long. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, PeterS said:

In this respect the POB AD had the right idea. I’ve said it elsewhere before. I think this is the perfect ballet for younger audiences and for non-principal company members (with the requisite skills) to hone their craft on in the lead roles which are a couple of teenagers out to have fun. Leo Dixon, Mariko Sasaki,  Liam Boswell, Madison Bailey, Marco Masciari, Viola Pantuso… the list is long. 

This is also due to the fact that at the same time as Fille at the Opéra Garnier, the ONP ballet company is performing Don Quixote on its second stage at the Opéra Bastille, where they dance mainly étoils. Don Q and Fille are immediately followed by Giselle and Swan Lake.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Silver Capricorn said:

This is also due to the fact that at the same time as Fille at the Opéra Garnier, the ONP ballet company is performing Don Quixote on its second stage at the Opéra Bastille, where they dance mainly étoils. Don Q and Fille are immediately followed by Giselle and Swan Lake.

Yep. Putting the established étoiles in the other ballets you mention, whilst the younger talented dancers get to dance Lise & Colas in La Fille makes a lot of sense.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lady emily said:

I very much hope this drought ends next year! 

The drought is ending this year with BRB reviving Fille and they are doing a couple of performances at Sadler's Wells!

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

The drought is ending this year with BRB reviving Fille and they are doing a couple of performances at Sadler's Wells!

And I need to know when they go on sale because I am desperate to attend!

• Like 3

Sambe and the beautiful Bluenn Battistoni! That will be an utter delight. I saw her dance Mitzi Caspar in November of 2022 and Beatrice last spring and am looking forward to seeing her Giselle this May.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

I agree- I like that younger dancers from the sujet (=soloist, although the ranks are not exactly equivalent of RB or British companies; "premiere danseuse/premier danseur" is more like junior principal dancer rather than first soloist although it is a big jump from PD to etoile in terms of pay, perks, pension etc) are getting opportunities in a classical ballet as POB performs so much contemporary repertoire. It is no guarantee of promotion to principal  or etoile - as Marine Ganio's Lise from 9 years ago shows - but it is still wonderful to be star for the night rather than always being "friend of X" or "friend of Y". 

The POB "Fille" is being live.streamed in cinemas in Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden and Poland as well as France, of course, and countries further afield, on Thursday March 21st, but not,unfortunately in either the UK or Spain.

Interesting that Sambe is debuting at the POB with Fille, and Nunez is with Giselle in the same half a year. I know Vadim has been invited before but have many other RB principals over the years?

54 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

I know he was invited for Raymonda I think, but they didn’t happen because of strikes. I believe he then later did perform there. 

No, he never performed Raymonda after that as all his performances ended up being cancelled. He had previously performed in Giselle there, though.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

No, he never performed Raymonda after that as all his performances ended up being cancelled. He had previously performed in Giselle there, though.

In 2016, he danced at the ONP Garnier Albrecht in Giselle as the partner of Dorothée Gilbert.  The next hosting in 2020 was canceled due to the strike of the ONP ballet troupe and subsequently due to covid.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

In Raymonda, he was supposed to perform at the ONP on 22, 25 and 27 December 2019, but the performances were canceled due to the strike.

• Like 1

Dansesaveclaplume on Twitter posted

to which my reply was "Étoile invitée de luxe - oui oui oui !!" 🤣 (emphasis on "de luxe"

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 2

Fantastic for Sambe and great to see RB dancers are appreciated and recognised overseas.

To me though it emphasises the odd position of RB dancers having to guest overseas to dance an acclaimed work by a British choreographer (the founding choreographer of the company no less!) as they don’t have this opportunity on their home stage. 

I remain hopeful that positive reviews and sales for La Fille in Paris and with BRB may finally convince Kevin O’Hare to stage a revival at Covent Garden if not in the 24/25 season at least in 25/26. There are so many great RB dancers in their prime and ready for these roles and they shouldn’t have to go to Paris to dance them! 

My dream casting would be Sambe and Hayward but I’d also love to see Nunez, Muntagirov, Bracewell, Hay, Kaneko etc in these roles. I have now sadly missed seeing Campbell as well now he’s retired. I didn’t really follow ballet when it was last on in London so have never seen it live, I couldn’t  justify the cost of going to Paris but I’m very excited to see BRB perform in Birmingham. 

• Like 8

With Sambe and Nunez guesting with POB - I would love to see an exchange and have some POB stars guest over here. Diop or Marchand would be great but top of my list would be Mathieu Ganio - before it's too late.....

• Like 6