Birmingham Royal Ballet - Nutcracker casting announced

I’m hoping Cesar Morales will be the Prince on one of all of the TBA dates. Not seen him in recent performances, though I’m glad I managed to see  just about all the rest of the company. So many brilliant talents, so hard to choose.....really tempting to stay in Birmingham for a whole week just watching Nutcracker every night! (Actually, if the run ended a fortnight later I could do that.....but it’s good to save some tickets for others!). 

23 minutes ago, annamk said:

Wow it starts on 17th November !

What are the company doing after the Nutcracker finishes on December 9th until Sleeping Beauty on 8th February ? 

I guess they need a rest after nearly 30 Nutcrackers ?

I think in the past they used the rest of December to prepare for a short run of Nutcracker (it’s a modified version of their Birmingham production eg there’s some narration and additional special effects) at the Royal Albert Hall which always sells very well. But there aren’t scheduled to do the Albert Hall one this year and their Birmingham Nutcracker run, which always started early in November, is longer this year, so I suppose it’s a chance for a much needed break/holiday with loved ones or guesting? Then rehearsals in January. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, alison said:

Shame there's so much duplication on the (especially weekday) matinee casts, though :(  I don't remember the last time I had so little choice.

Have you looked through all the weekend (including Sunday) matinees as well, Alison- I think every cast does do a matinee at least once, even the senior principals like Hirata, Dingman, Singleton etc. The only Sugar Plum Fairy not doing a matinee is Celine Gittens, although one of her Princes, Haoliang Feng, is due to dance 2 matinees with Lucy Waine. And the Claras aren’t always with the same Prince in their matinees as in their evening performances, but it looks like they all get to do at least one matinee. Are you specifically wanting to see Gittens?  

Edited by Emeralds

As I said, 5 matinees, only 3 casts.  And anyway, the question may well be academic, given that there's already been such a run on the bottom price tickets.  I suspect there won't be anything left within a fortnight of the performance anyway.  Oh well.

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

For those of us less familiar with BRB could someone highlight the debuts in this run?   Thank you in advance! 

Without the encyclopaedic knowledge/surfing work of some very dedicated members, off the top of my head, the ones I know are Rachele  Pizzillo, Lucy Waine and Sofia Linares as Sugar Plum Fairy, and it seems like all our Princes have done it before.

I think that’s all I can spot, but don’t quote me....bearing in mind I haven’t actually been able to see them live for some time, but only managed to look longingly at the Nutcracker video clips, casting and dates, then getting cancelled by rail strikes and other obligations. Hoping we may be lucky this year and be able to revisit Nutcracker but not sure whether to tempt fate and the unions by booking in advance or wait for the two week notice and risk having no tickets. (Haven’t checked the Claras, sorry FionaE.)

PS if you can catch Lucy Waine, she is such a promising star in the making that it will be quite special, and also (if you haven’t seen them already), Beatrice Parma, Rosanna Ely (as Clara), Yu Kurihara....so many that I could just as well copy and paste all the dates. 😊 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

Somewhat unexpectedly I will be in England in November (I am from Toronto) and I’ve booked a matinee of the Birmingham Nutcracker (2:30pm), along with afternoon tea at the theatre, which starts at 1:00pm.

I will be coming up from London that day by train, and returning there the same day -- it will be a Saturday. In the normal circumstances, would arriving at the Birmingham station at 12noon be reasonable?

I see from google maps the station and theatre are only 10-minutes walking apart, but I want to be sure I have a buffer for “usual delays” (strikes aside) to be at the theatre for 1:00pm afternoon tea.

Also, I am guessing that a train departing for London at 6:00pm would give me ample time walk back to the station and find the platform, but if your sense is otherwise, I would be very grateful to know.

It’s been years (17!) since I’ve been in England, and I am very much out of “travel practice”. I really appreciate any advice on this Birmingham trip.

Welcome to the forum, HappyToBe.  Yes, you're right: both Birmingham New Street and Moor Street are about half a mile or so from the Hippodrome, so hopefully you should have enough of a buffer unless something goes badly wrong (she says, having forked out for an expensive ticket on Avanti back in June, only to find that there was some significant problem which cancelled all the trains from New Street on the way back and forced me to travel via Moor Street instead, which takes longer!). 

Be aware that the Marylebone-Moor Street service, although quite a bit faster than it used to be, is still slower (albeit cheaper) than Avanti's Euston-New Street service - and also check for football matches on the day affecting trains to Birmingham.  This may not only involve the Birmingham and Aston Villa teams, but also other teams playing in the vicinity of Birmingham, or where fans need to travel via Birmingham.  There is also a slower Euston-New Street service with another company, the name of which escapes me, so make sure you're aiming for the right trains and have bought a ticket which is valid on them.  The Chiltern Trains service to Moor Street is around the £35 mark for a day return, I seem to recall, but the Avanti one will be a lot more expensive - over £60, I think.  You can get much better deals if you book a ticket which is valid only for a specific train, and if you book earlier rather than leaving it until the last minute (but again, football matches may affect the pricing quite considerably).  For example, at present, you could book specific Avanti trains around the time you want for £16-£18 each way on 18th November.  The other two Saturdays are less certain, as it seems there might be some engineering works, although that's yet to be confirmed.  Chiltern seems to be running all 3 Saturdays during the run.

By law, 2 weeks' notice has to be given for strikes, so if nothing has been announced a fortnight in advance you should be safe.

11 hours ago, HappyToBe said:

Somewhat unexpectedly I will be in England in November (I am from Toronto) and I’ve booked a matinee of the Birmingham Nutcracker (2:30pm), along with afternoon tea at the theatre, which starts at 1:00pm.

I will be coming up from London that day by train, and returning there the same day -- it will be a Saturday. In the normal circumstances, would arriving at the Birmingham station at 12noon be reasonable?

I see from google maps the station and theatre are only 10-minutes walking apart, but I want to be sure I have a buffer for “usual delays” (strikes aside) to be at the theatre for 1:00pm afternoon tea.

Also, I am guessing that a train departing for London at 6:00pm would give me ample time walk back to the station and find the platform, but if your sense is otherwise, I would be very grateful to know.

It’s been years (17!) since I’ve been in England, and I am very much out of “travel practice”. I really appreciate any advice on this Birmingham trip.

I've found the London->Birmingham-> London routes pretty reliable, timetable wise (I used it last week). Marylebone to Moor St is a nicer journey, and Moor St only 5mins longer walk to the theatre (you pass one of the entrances to New St as you walk). Moor St also definitely easier to exit without getting lost!! It has far fewer platforms so easier to find your service on the way back (the best is when the service from Moor St on platform 3, so getting there earlyish gets you a nice seat - the through train from Snowhill on platform 1 is often a commuter service). Booking a service online 3-5 weeks in advance gets you cheaper tickets, though thanks to competition the routes are amongst the cheapest inter-city routes in the UK. I paid £8 Euston to New St and £14 Moor St to Marylebone on the way back last week

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

The advantage of going to New Street Station is that you get to see the amazing Ozzy the Bull!!

Ozzy the Bull.MOV 127.65 MB · 1 download  

or, it's an easy to walk from Moor St station through New Street station past Ozzy the Bull down to the Hippodrome.

it maybe adds a couple of minutes to the walk, plus allow a couple more for the selfie with Ozzy.  

• Like 2

Thank you all for the information about the trip from London to see a Saturday matinee. I really am going to have to see that bull too!

I’d never considered what impact a football game has on the trains. From what I can tell the only team playing the day I am going (November 18th) is Solihull Moors, at home at 3:00pm.

I know nothing about football, or sports -- in any country. I’d heard vaguely of Aston Martin (and know they are popular) but not the Solihull Moors… so I really have no idea what sort of crowds, or problems there might be. If it will be horribly crowded, how much more of a time buffer between theatre and station would be reasonable?

Thank you also for the suggestion about leaving from Marylebone and going into the Moor Street station. And, there doesn’t seem to be any work planned for that line on that day either.

Thank you again! I really appreciate your advice. If anyone is also going on to the matinee on the 18th, it would be lovely to say hello!

-          Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

And a reminder:

QlJCIGxvZ28ucG5n

PRESS RELEASE

13 October 2023

IMAGES CAN BE DOWNLOADED HERE

SIR PETER WRIGHT AND BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET'S BELOVED
THE NUTCRACKER  RETURNS TO THE STAGE THIS CHRISTMAS

oHz2xuox1J5h6b8rrygBnkpC8oKq31rd-vEjfZ8akLqIlrLFkNi5EGG5YV661qIdO0hF_WtOoI-70NjMmlafFx9CrDWpuZZoJr3YIEozxYkGnIOWpwecCTn7mtoRv0QFb-2H-aG4AsAN

Following the sell-out success of Black Sabbath -The Ballet this autumn, the award-winning Birmingham Royal Ballet will make a spectacular return to the Birmingham Hippodrome stage this Christmas with their beloved staging of Sir Peter Wright’s The Nutcracker.

The Nutcracker features 60 dancers accompanied by Tchaikovsky’s magical score played live by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia in what has become a traditional festive treat for the whole family, widely renowned as one of the finest productions of the classic tale in the world. 

Set on Christmas Eve, The Nutcracker revolves around a young girl named Clara, who receives a Nutcracker doll as a Christmas gift from the magician Drosselmeyer. The Nutcracker comes to life as a Prince and the magical journey begins.

In 2022, after over 30 years, the production was given a sparkling new breath of life with beautiful new sets and costumes by the production’s original designer, John Macfarlane. This year BRB is once again ready to dazzle audiences in an enchanting winter wonderland of dancing snowflakes, magical Christmas trees and the Sugar Plum Fairy.

The Nutcracker runs at Birmingham Hippodrome from Fri 17 Nov - Sat 9 Dec with Principal casting now announced - visit brb.org.uk for more information.

New for this year, and continuing The Nutcracker theme, BRB has partnered with RiVR, a UK-based virtual reality company to bring a new look to a much-loved favourite. The 12 Days of NutcrackAR is the world’s first Nutcracker-themed augmented reality walking trail around Birmingham.

Opening on 4 November at a special BRB Nutcracker themed free event at the Bull Ring, the NutcrackAR, part of the company’s pioneering *Virtual Stage, offers everyone the chance to discover the hidden world of some of the props and costumes from the production.

Using a smart device such as a phone or tablet, viewers can see the Sugar Plum Fairy Tutu and  its many hand-sewn pearls and sequins, the heavily embroidered coat of King Rat and the famous Christmas Tree where you can see graffiti from dancers and crew from over 30 years of shows!

Each day of the countdown to opening night will highlight a different AR site across the city.  Content will be accessed through posters presented in various formats housing unique QR codes with AR content, descriptive text and voiceover plus links to ticketing information.

After opening night of The Nutcracker at Birmingham Hippodrome on 17 November, BRB’s NutcrackAR will also be accessible in and around Hippodrome Square so audiences leaving the ‘reality’ of a performance will be able to enjoy this ‘augmented reality’ for the duration of The Nutcracker season. 

*Virtual Stage is a pioneering project featuring content developed in collaboration with Canon and RiVR funded by Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Digital Accelerator Programme.

Listings

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Sir Peter Wright’s The Nutcracker

Birmingham Hippodrome

Fri 17 Nov - Sat 9 Dec

brb.org.uk

Notes to Editors

Birmingham Royal Ballet Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as groundbreaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future. The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta. Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs over 100 shows a year nationally and internationally. The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Birmingham Royal Ballet’s permanent orchestra, it is also Britain's busiest ballet orchestra. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and other leading ballet companies, including performances with Paris Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

As the older dancers move on to pastures new, it’s always sad to see them go but it’s opens up new possibilities.

I’ve booked a midweek matinee to see the exciting and talented young Enrique Bejarno Vidal dancing the Prince. 

Can’t wait 🙂

Yes, I remember him from the BRB performances in the Linbury, and very good he was too. 

10 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Why on earth isn’t Cesar cast as the prince?  Has he left the company? Is he injured? Arguably the best danseur noble, not only in BRB but in the country.

He has been injured.  I don’t think he has left the company.  I am as puzzled as you are Sheila.

The lovely Cesar Morales will be 45 in November. There has been the sense for some time that he is easing towards retirement, hasn’t there?

Even a few years back, while still dancing beautifully, he didn’t have quite the spring in his legs which was a trademark when he was with ENB and first at BRB. So sad that dancers have to get older and harder, it seems, for more of the men than the women.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Irritatingly several of the casts have been changed. Having booked to see Rosanna Ely as Clara at the matinee performance on 30th November I now find she is dancing at the evening performance. Travelling from Mid Wales I am not very pleased. Some of the Sugar Plum and Prince casts have also changed. Everyone originally announced still seem to be dancing it's just that their performance dates have changed so it's not as though they are ill or injured. Why do BRB have to do this?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Irritatingly several of the casts have been changed. Having booked to see Rosanna Ely as Clara at the matinee performance on 30th November I now find she is dancing at the evening performance. Travelling from Mid Wales I am not very pleased. Some of the Sugar Plum and Prince casts have also changed. Everyone originally announced still seem to be dancing it's just that their performance dates have changed so it's not as though they are ill or injured. Why do BRB have to do this?

Oh no  😞 ....would you be able to go on 9 December instead, @Pulcinella....I see she is down for the matinee for that. Or would you stay the night and change it to 30 November instead? I can only guess it might be some conflict with rehearsal timing or something. At least the company have acknowledged/warned it’s been changed, although I agree it’s a hassle and inconvenient.

I've just seen an update from BRB - Ricardo Castellanos was unable to dance the Prince, so Yu Kurihara & Tyrone Singleton danced last night,  and Celine Gittens & Haoliang Feng will be dancing on Friday instead. (Celine does have a few scheduled dates dancing with Feng already, so isn't dancing just one Sugar Plum Fairy performance.) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1