DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

It's interesting to note that Lukas BB is getting more prominent roles lately and I suspect he will be promoted again soon.

16 minutes ago, PeterS said:

i agree. it's unfortunate that he tripped over last night and i hope that this doesn't affect him..

He fell over too? Oh dear, it sounds like they would have been better broadcasting the performance on 28th, when I don't recall anyone falling over, than last night's! I hope he wasn't injured, given his Espada debut is due shortly. I agree he seems to be getting increasing numbers of bigger roles, though I have yet to see him do anything with a big classical solo. I wonder if he could be in line for Benno later in the season or if he'd be considered the wrong type? There were a couple of taller Bennos, Richardson & Jun, in the last run.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m not sure I really understand the difference between an official and unofficial visit especially when the official visit was kept so secret even box office staff apparently didn’t know about it 24 hours before!! 
Why do they have to close the theatre for security reasons when it’s official but they can apparently turn up when the mood takes them without any fuss whatsoever. 
Im not sure I’ve understood this correctly but was the whole of the Grand Tier closed to audience apart from Charles and Camilla ( and their private entourage)? 
And was the downstairs cafe out of action for the whole performance or just pre performance? 
Im not sure I understand the comment about making the ROH more accessible? Does that mean price wise ( eg: were seats cheaper last night for the invited audience?) 

We’d all like cheaper seats!! 

As a one off gesture occasionally in the year it’s nice to honour NHS staff and other charities especially in a 75th anniversary year etc but I have several friends who work for the NHS and as a general rule they expect to pay their way like everybody else!! 
It does depend on what is meant by accessible though and who should have it! 
Im in a bit of a grumpy mood today but am still annoyed with ROH for not being more transparent about what was going on yesterday regards the invited audience…..there was no need to be SO secretive about that at least!! 

if i understand it correctly, the whole House was 'purchased and paid for' by patrons Ceri & Doug King.  (at what cost i have no idea but the face value of every ticket i saw was £150 regardless of where in the House it was located so perhaps the ROH was quids in regardless of how many peoiple turned up on the night).  guests were then invited to enjoy the performance (how these guests were selected i don't know though there has been an indication as to where they were selected from i.e. the NHS, Ukrainian Choir, RBS etc) i'm not aware if they had to contribute towards the cost of their ticket or not.  i suspect not in this case. like any other evening there will have been some no-shows for a variety of reasons.  i'm sure these no-shows regretted not having been able to attend a lovely evening to which they had been invited.

albeit on a larger scale, it is a similar principle to me buying a box with say 6 seats and then inviting my friends to join me. the ROH gets its income regardless of the number of people in the box.  no-one else can enter my box just as no-one who wasn't invited could enter the ROH yesterday.  my friends are my guests.  i don't ask my friends to pay for their tickets.  if it happens that i consider the view from the rear two seats in the box to be too restricted for my friends to enjoy the evening then i only invite 4 friends not the maximum capacity of 6. that's my preogative. to those looking in from outside however, there would appear to be 2 empty seats . 

if a friend calls last minute and says she/he/they have been called into the operating theatre, has a premature baby to deliver or has been let down by the babysitter at home, his/her/their seat would also stay vacant which would mean to the outside observer that there are three empty seats. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PeterS said:

i agree. it's unfortunate that he tripped over last night and i hope that this doesn't affect him..

It was that horrible backwards jeté around the fellow matadors in the final diagonal where all matadors are always hesitant and careful. I’m surprised we haven’t had any stumbles before

• Thanks 1

I watched last night's stream at a new cinema in Egham, Surrey which proved to be very comfortable and satisfactory. Last time round, our local at Staines, completely let us down, cancelling the stream as we arrived.  I always take my husband as he likes all the extra interviews and context around the performance and he didn't fall asleep at all - this is quite a feat!  We have long since agreed that I go alone to the ROH. 

I loved the entire performance though it didn't have the emotional pull for me of the Will/Fumi partnership. I felt everyone on stage was particularly energetic (rising to the occasion?) and apart from Matt and Mayara, we had the additional joy of Calvin Richardson and James Hay.  It does bring me a lot of joy every time I see it.  I so felt for Mayara as she danced so well.  I do hope she wasn't too upset afterwards. 

Finally, finally, I discovered how the horse's ears twitch, a question I have asked on several occasions but never with any success.  I did tweet about it in the first interval and was amazed when they answered the question in the second. Must be coincidence as they had obviously planned the 2nd interview topics beforehand, but even so....  

I will miss DonQ. I've booked for Dante because of Will Bracewell but am not expecting the same amount of sheer happiness from it.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Avis' Don was really touching, and Hay was great as was Gasparini. 

Gasparini was just lovely, wasn’t she? And I also found Avis’ Don particularly touching last night. 

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I have also loved Mica Bradbury in various roles (leading Fandango lady last night). 

I totally agree. Mica Bradbury has had a very successful run: Kitri’s friend; gypsy queen; one half of the fandango couple. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Supposed to be Magri/Corrales if I remember correctly. Ball was replacement.

Muntagirov currently in China. So even if they wanted to change the casting, and no reason they should have, he's pretty unavailable 

Corrales’s Don Q appearances this season would have been his first (he was injured in 2019), so there is obviously no ‘rule’ in relation to debut runs and cinema relays.

10 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

He fell over too? Oh dear, it sounds like they would have been better broadcasting the performance on 28th, when I don't recall anyone falling over, than last night's! I hope he wasn't injured, given his Espada debut is due shortly.

I didn't see exactly what happened and I didn't realise it was him, but there was just a trip/stumble  - he didn't actually fall over so I'm sure (and hope) that he wasn't injured.

• Like 1

Just now, bridiem said:

I didn't see exactly what happened and I didn't realise it was him, but there was just a trip/stumble  - he didn't actually fall over so I'm sure (and hope) that he wasn't injured.

I don't think he was injured as he finished Act 1 and was back as one of the gypsies in act 2 and danced Fandango lead couple in act 3

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Being more positive and less picky  about last night, it was clearly  a very special  event for the Company and their guests, and a  great advertisement for the general standard of ballet dancing and production at the ROH.

Absolutely. And linked to Capybara’s quote below, this will hopefully add to more public interest and swell the audience numbers. 

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Hopefully, the members of the audience who were being somewhat rowdy last night will have loved it so much that they will return of their own volition 

Let’s hope so, yes. 

16 minutes ago, PeterS said:

if i understand it correctly, the whole House was 'purchased and paid for' by patrons Ceri & Doug King.  (at what cost i have no idea but the face value of every ticket i saw was £150 regardless of where in the House it was located so perhaps the ROH was quids in regardless of how many peoiple turned up on the night).  guests were then invited to enjoy the performance (how these guests were selected i don't know though there has been an indication as to where they were selected from i.e. the NHS, Ukrainian Choir, RBS etc) i'm not aware if they had to contribute towards the cost of their ticket or not.  i suspect not in this case. like any other evening there will have been some no-shows for a variety of reasons.  i'm sure these no-shows regretted not having been able to attend a lovely evening to which they had been invited.

I am a bit confused.  I know that people on here bought their own tickets, so the ROH was getting the money twice over?  And if the invited guests who had a free ticket couldn't turn up, wouldn't it have been a nice gesture to sell them for £20 (or whatever) at the last minute to the regulars?  People like me who live in London and could have turned up at very short notice?  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

And was the downstairs cafe out of action for the whole performance or just pre performance? 
Im not sure I understand the comment about making the ROH more accessible? Does that mean price wise ( eg: were seats cheaper last night for the invited audience?) 

We’d all like cheaper seats!! 

As a one off gesture occasionally in the year it’s nice to honour NHS staff and other charities especially in a 75th anniversary year etc but I have several friends who work for the NHS and as a general rule they expect to pay their way like everybody else!! 
It does depend on what is meant by accessible though and who should have it! 
Im in a bit of a grumpy mood today but am still annoyed with ROH for not being more transparent about what was going on yesterday regards the invited audience…..there was no need to be SO secretive about that at least!! 

Downstairs cafe was only out of action when the building was closed for a security sweep up til 5.30, then it opened for people with tickets only. It was open in the intervals tool.

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

If the accessibilty  a previous poster is referring to is via free tickets for a whole audience with lots of empty seats then I couldn’t agree with that happening too often. 

The face value of most tickets which were re-issued for those of us who booked during Friends period was £150 - this was the case for my ticket in the stalls circle which was purchased for £125 and I am pretty sure someone mentioned the same for an amphi ticket. This suggests that whoever purchased tickets on behalf of all of these groups made a sizeable donation, which potentially enabled poor positions to be left empty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I doubt they knew that the people weren’t going to turn up.  If you’re given a free ticket and can’t make it, you’re unlikely to return the ticket as there’s no need to from your perspective, and as the tickets have been paid for, the RB can’t really re-sell them.

Edited by OnePigeon
  • Like 2

I have to say, Magri didn't look at all upset at the end - quite the contrary, she was beaming, and looked radiant.  If it had been me, I'm sure I'd still have been mentally kicking myself, but she appeared to have shrugged it off with no problems.  I didn't even notice that Lukas B B had stumbled.

And yes, the Grand Tier was full, as far as we could see from the cinema.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

If you’re given a free ticket and can’t make it, you’re unlikely to return the ticket as there’s no need to from your perspective,

Which is the problem with freebies.  People often don't appreciate them as much as they should.  I have no doubt that people who didn't come had a very good reason for not turning up, of course, but if there were a lot of empty seats, that would have been a real pity.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Silke H said:

I am very pleased for the cinema goers to have enjoyed the evening, there must have been some very clever editing going on.  In the house we were a little underwhelmed (at least the regulars I spoke with).  The audience was clap-happy at every minor break in the music and even along with the music in parts.  Too much whooping and screaming with most claps.  Generally noisy and "unresty" with lots of filming attempts.  Very distracting.  But also, there were a rather unusual number of minor (and one larger) mishaps on stage going on.

Sadly I was a bit underwhelmed with the performance and have missed the chemistry between Kitri and Basilio that I have felt with other couples.

My favourites of the evening were Gamache, Espada and Kitri's friends.

Thank you for giving your insight - it’s lovely to hear from someone who attended, in person. 

I didn’t hear much from the audience at ROH on the relay, no, thank goodness. I despised the constant whooping, hysterical screaming and over the top reactions at the Nunez/ Muntagirov performance I attended. I found it really irritating and distracting. 

I didn’t think the cinema relay was one of the better ones I’ve seen in terms of the performance itself, no. There were some lovely solos and performances I have already mentioned and I enjoyed them very much. I didn’t feel the connection between Magri and Ball as much as I did between Naghdi and Ball, but that is just how I felt and personal to me. It also answered my own question about some real couples dancing together and whether I would feel an ‘extra’ connection compared to other partnerships they have.

I did not get the feeling like I had last Friday or for some of the other performances, no, but that’s ok - I did still enjoy so much and like comparing different casts anyway. 😊 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

Warning This is possibly a controversial post but:

Why were Magri and Ball chosen as the leads for this very special occasion?  Surely the obvious choice would have been Nunez and Muntagirov? There must have been sufficient notice about this for a swap around of casts if necessary?  

I am not saying the principals performing last night were not capable.  But the other two are an extremely experienced and established paring.  They seem the obvious choice for a performance where an extra touch of nerves might have have been expected.  Not to mention wildly popular.   

Not controversial with me.  I wondered the same.  The lead in for King and Queen attending would have been months, so I would be surprised if Muntagirov's commitments couldn't have been juggled.  I would be amazed if Vadim wouldn't have been keen and willing for this honour and if the idea was to display the very best that the RB has to offer for an official royal visit, to new attendees, many of whom are not ballet lovers, and to film for posterity, Nunez and Muntagirov are without doubt the cream of the crop, highly experienced and, since the national card seems to be suggested as a reason for Magri and Ball, both are newish British citizens, Muntagirov RB trained and Nunez 25 years in the company.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

He fell over too? Oh dear, it sounds like they would have been better broadcasting the performance on 28th, when I don't recall anyone falling over, than last night's! I hope he wasn't injured, given his Espada debut is due shortly. I agree he seems to be getting increasing numbers of bigger roles, though I have yet to see him do anything with a big classical solo. I wonder if he could be in line for Benno later in the season or if he'd be considered the wrong type? There were a couple of taller Bennos, Richardson & Jun, in the last run.

Yes. You know the bit where the matadors (at the end one of their sections) dance in pairs, turn in the air and kneel, then the next two do the same until the last pair do. I think his foot got caught on someone’s and he missed the turn but got in sync with his partner and knelt in time with the music - brilliant recovery and I doubt anyone who didn’t know the ballet would have noticed? I felt for him and I then thought it was such a great recovery that it wasn’t significant and I hope he didn’t mind too much - I don’t think he was injured as he danced very well after that. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Gasparini was just lovely, wasn’t she? And I also found Avis’ Don particularly touching last night. 

I totally agree. Mica Bradbury has had a very successful run: Kitri’s friend; gypsy queen; one half of the fandango couple. 

Yes, yes and yes! I also must mention Sae Maeda again - she really stands out to me. Kitri’s friends were excellent last night, I thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silke H said:

It was that horrible backwards jeté around the fellow matadors in the final diagonal where all matadors are always hesitant and careful. I’m surprised we haven’t had any stumbles before

You explained far better than I did! 🤣
Edit: … and a lot more concisely!

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Silke H said:

yes, definitely empty seats in the main part of the Amphi, and only a handful of occupied slips seats (upper and lower).  I can't really speak for the rest of the auditorium but I think I also spotted a few empty seats in the orchestra stalls

Those who remember the odd story of the Upper Slips seat I returned, are presumably still puzzling (as am I) why a well under £20 ticket had been repriced by the ROH system at £150. At those prices I am not surprised the seats stayed unsold. 

51 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Which is the problem with freebies.  People often don't appreciate them as much as they should.  I have no doubt that people who didn't come had a very good reason for not turning up, of course, but if there were a lot of empty seats, that would have been a real pity.  

I wish the invited NHS staff was done a different way - I’ve worked for NHS most of my life and never been offered a ticket for an invited audience event. I looked on the ROH website to see how you qualify for such an invite and it said staff from a couple of NHS near to the ROH are invited. I think that is a shame as many NHS hospitals are commutable distance to London so idk why the ROH don’t offer the tickets to staff at other NHS hospitals in London and surrounding counties too, but prioritise those staff that actually like ballet or would appreciate the ticket. They may find more people actually turn up then, and if inviting NHS staff is about thanking the NHS staff why not thank those that would actually see the gesture as a thank you and appreciate it. 

Side note: I am an unapologetic enthusiastic whooper and loud clapper and think that the dancers deserve the fuss. They are amazing. I wouldn’t want to aggravate my fellow ballet goers but I do burst out into mid act applause and cheers quite often - I don’t think I can always control it either sometimes I get carried away by the amazement at what I’m seeing and forget myself - it’s  like ballet applause Tourette’s just blurting out at inappropriate moments 🤣

Edited by Angela Essex
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, alison said:

But then they weren't showing as available anyway - nothing was.

In which case a cheap Slips ticket was automatically repriced at £150, to be bought (at that price?) en bloc by a patron to give it to someone deserving - but it couldn’t in fact be bought or given away as I had already bought it at its normal price. And so the returned seat stayed empty?

The more I think about what went on, the more Alice in Wonderland the ROH plan for the evening appears. But it was no doubt all for the best. Sad no one got to sit in the seat I gave back though. 

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 2

For those wondering why Magri and Ball were not replaced as Charles and Camilla Windsor were paying a visit to see some ballet, possibly they wanted to book for that pair? Both are the same rank of dancer as Nunez and Muntagirov. Shuffling off an already announced couple for another as the other are perceived as better wouldn't have done morale much good, shades of Seymour and Gable and R & J!

There's always the possibility Muntagirov preferred honouring his commitment to China, and wasn't actually too bothered about a royal handshake? Not everyone is.

I've certainly passed up an opportunity to be present at a royal visit to an exhibition, private, late night, major museum, with only four of us commoners plus a royal in attendance. I preferred my sleep.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

There's always the possibility Muntagirov preferred honouring his commitment to China, and wasn't actually too bothered about a royal handshake? Not everyone is.

I've certainly passed up an opportunity to be present at a royal visit to an exhibition, private, late night, major museum, with only four of us commoners plus a royal in attendance. I preferred my sleep.

Agreed. I've no desire to see the royal family, they don't do a lot for me and I'm a republican. I have also passed on opportunities to see them.  I can see a dancer not being that bothered about it, especially someone who grew up overseas.  

• Like 6

The casting was published months ago, obviously well ahead of Doug and Ceri King's philanthropic gesture (as booking had also been open for some time). The announced casting was Magri/Corrales with Ball as a subsequent replacement.

Therefore, there is surely 'nothing to see here'.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just as an aside: after the State Opening of Parliament and Don Q yesterday, I assumed that King Charles (who is nearly 75) would take things easy today. In fact, I see that he visited the Korean community in New Malden this morning, then held an investiture at Buckingham Palace (including knighting Terry Waite), and (with the Queen) is hosting a reception for humanitarians at the Palace this evening. Me? After watching Don Q at a cinema in Wimbledon last night, I (who am 63) was rather tired because of the late night and so today I just pottered around at home... I have to say: rather me than him. (AND I get to read all the posts on this forum, which I don't suppose he's had time to do yet.) :)

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Also Magri and Ball ('Golden Balls'?!) have been featured in Tatler dontchano. How vey vey grand. Every member of the upper crust must know who they are! 

https://www.tatler.com/article/matthew-ball-and-mayara-magri-interview-royal-ballet-royal-opera-house-covent-garden-don-quixote

I read that a while ago. Hmmm . . . 'Posh 'n' Becks' of the ballet world? I won't respond with my personal opinion on that comparison! 😱 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I read that a while ago. Hmmm . . . 'Posh 'n' Becks' of the ballet world? I won't respond with my personal opinion on that comparison! 😱 

I like the bit where they call him a "chiselled wunderkind" I mean that's not the first description that springs to mind because it kind of makes him sound like a very young statue. He's a very good looking chap but honestly that's such a silly description.  

• Like 2