Year 7 Ballet Vocational School Auditions for 2024

Laura_ballet

I wanted to reach out to this wonderful community in search of some advice and insights as my daughter prepares to pursue her dream of attending a vocational ballet school. We’re excited but also a little overwhelmed by the process. 

Based on last year, does anyone know when the Elmhurst application opens? Do all children who apply get an audition like Whitelodge?

We have decided to apply for WL, Elmhurst and Tring as ballet is her main passion. 

Please feel free to share your personal stories, tips, hints, and any information you think would be helpful. Your support and wisdom will be immensely appreciated as we embark on this exciting yet challenging path. Also it would be nice to chat to other parents who are going through the same process this year. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd did all these about 4 years ago so I cant give accurate info, but I remember her Tring/Elmhurst were on 5th and 6th Jan consecutively. Royal is always earliest I think.

Do also consider YDA, now London Vocational Ballet School. I know it doesnt have boarding, but many children do homestay very successfully, and the school is very focussed on ballet primarily. Its also got some exciting changes happening, not just the name. Happy to answer qurestions if you have any. 

21 hours ago, Swanwings said:

My dd did all these about 4 years ago so I cant give accurate info, but I remember her Tring/Elmhurst were on 5th and 6th Jan consecutively. Royal is always earliest I think.

Do also consider YDA, now London Vocational Ballet School. I know it doesnt have boarding, but many children do homestay very successfully, and the school is very focussed on ballet primarily. Its also got some exciting changes happening, not just the name. Happy to answer qurestions if you have any. 

This is great to hear. I have emailed YDA regarding boarding but all I got back was, we don’t offer boarding unfortunately and didn’t mention home stay or how to help with that. Is that something I would have to figure out alone? I have no idea where to begin. Also there was no mention of funding, that’s a problem for us. 

3 hours ago, Thelittleswans said:

This is great to hear. I have emailed YDA regarding boarding but all I got back was, we don’t offer boarding unfortunately and didn’t mention home stay or how to help with that. Is that something I would have to figure out alone? I have no idea where to begin. Also there was no mention of funding, that’s a problem for us. 

I think regarding homestay, its a conversation they would normally have after application/audition, they certainly do offer help finding accommodation where possible. Also there is funding available, but it does vary each year as its not govt funding and again, its  something which is discussed after audition. Theres no guarantees on either but I think its worth going through the process to find out.

Hi. Elmhurst applications opened in September and there were 3 Tuesdays offered for preliminary auditions in January if i remember correctly. You were then invited to a final in March. 
Tring applications also opened in September and my DD attended her first audition in November i think but there were plenty of other dates that i saw people attending well into the new year. You can then be invited to a funding audition for MDS but this isnt offered to everyone. I was told that they have about 5 MDS to offer across the whole school but unsure how accurate that is. With White Lodge there is a preliminary audition, semi finals then finals. Dates are on the website for prelims and finals. 
it is very tiring and our JA teacher recommended not doing too many so we chose those 3 also. 
Wishing your DD the best of luck 🤞🏻 

Edited by Adagio123

6 hours ago, Swanwings said:

I think regarding homestay, it’s a conversation they would normally have after application/audition, they certainly do offer help finding accommodation where possible. Also there is funding available, but it does vary each year as its not govt funding and again, its  something which is discussed after audition. Theres no guarantees on either but I think it’s worth going through the process to find out.

It would be good if they did make the homestay information more readily available. I’ve heard great things about the school but there’s no way I’d let my DC apply/attend an audition (with the related travel costs) without knowing more about the chances of accommodation. Maybe it’s something that will change with the re-brand etc - I hope so as at the moment it just feels completely inaccessible. 

10 hours ago, Adagio123 said:

Hi. Elmhurst applications opened in September and there were 3 Tuesdays offered for preliminary auditions in January if i remember correctly. You were then invited to a final in March. 
Tring applications also opened in September and my DD attended her first audition in November i think but there were plenty of other dates that i saw people attending well into the new year. You can then be invited to a funding audition for MDS but this isnt offered to everyone. I was told that they have about 5 MDS to offer across the whole school but unsure how accurate that is. With White Lodge there is a preliminary audition, semi finals then finals. Dates are on the website for prelims and finals. 
it is very tiring and our JA teacher recommended not doing too many so we chose those 3 also. 
Wishing your DD the best of luck 🤞🏻 

Just remembered the first in person auditions for Elmhurst were semi-finals, the preliminary audition was the photos! 

• Like 1

A shoot out for Hammond - certainly provided a great all round education for academics, all forms of dance & music & drama experience also through whole school musical theatre productions & very slick annual Xmas Carol concert. I know there have been lots of changes to courses/staff & to boarding (big improvements there I imagine!). I felt it had the benefits of ‘normal school’ too as they did trips like normal schools (one to Conway with coast steering eyc) & another to include war graves in France 

I think the more defined courses now can only be a good thing. 
Hammond Shows were all incredibly high standard, great content & by far the best I saw from any vocational school/college. 
In our day I did feel some members of staff & classical requirements were not rated or given the priorities as they should’ve been…. Again, this may have been improved.

But I do think it was a great place for our early school years  with lots of varied performance  experience & exams across genres which may well be beneficial down the line for any move into teaching/UCAS points for uni etc. 

Also, city centre proximity was also good giving a ‘normal’ weekend of going into town shopping/swimming etc with friends…..

And they have MDS & possibly bursary funding too.

Good luck! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

A shoot out for Hammond - certainly provided a great all round education for academics, all forms of dance & music & drama experience also through whole school musical theatre productions & very slick annual Xmas Carol concert. I know there have been lots of changes to courses/staff & to boarding (big improvements there I imagine!). I felt it had the benefits of ‘normal school’ too as they did trips like normal schools (one to Conway with coast steering eyc) & another to include war graves in France 

I think the more defined courses now can only be a good thing. 
Hammond Shows were all incredibly high standard, great content & by far the best I saw from any vocational school/college. 
In our day I did feel some members of staff & classical requirements were not rated or given the priorities as they should’ve been…. Again, this may have been improved.

But I do think it was a great place for our early school years  with lots of varied performance  experience & exams across genres which may well be beneficial down the line for any move into teaching/UCAS points for uni etc. 

Also, city centre proximity was also good giving a ‘normal’ weekend of going into town shopping/swimming etc with friends…..

And they have MDS & possibly bursary funding too.

Good luck! 

Completely agree with all of this, and the new classical or MT elective routes in years 10&11 seem to have been a success, in terms of providing more ballet for those who want it. 

• Like 1

Agree with all the above about Hammond, it might not seem the obvious choice for classical training but the new electives from year 10 has really helped the more ballet- focused students (and of course the others with more of a commercial/MT or jazz focus to do more of what they prefer too). Exams have been good too - DD has now got eight GCSEs, intermediate ISTD qualifications in tap and modern plus Advanced  one in RAD. It’s a happy, friendly school.

• Like 2

DD never wanted to pursue a vocational school path, but if she had done then the Hammond’s arrangement of boarding houses separate from the school (not sure if that is still the case) would have appealed much more than a ‘all on one site’ approach. Certainly a friend’s DD who attended the Hammond enjoyed that aspect, with a separation of boarding ie ‘home’ life and school life. (And she decided not to pursue a vocational route at age 16+, despite good offers, and instead went on to study dentistry, which shows how good the academic education at the Hammond is.) 

• Like 3

Reading this thread with interest for my DS who will be auditioning for Year 10 entry rather than Y7 but question might be relevant to others and hope it will get answered here! Tring and I believe, Hammond expect a prepared dance solo as part of the audition. My DS wants to know if this is performed during the class - as in, other applicants watch each other, or whether they just go in individually to perform their solos to the panel. Hope someone has previous experience! Thanks! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Reading this thread with interest for my DS who will be auditioning for Year 10 entry rather than Y7 but question might be relevant to others and hope it will get answered here! Tring and I believe, Hammond expect a prepared dance solo as part of the audition. My DS wants to know if this is performed during the class - as in, other applicants watch each other, or whether they just go in individually to perform their solos to the panel. Hope someone has previous experience! Thanks! 

When my DD auditioned it was done privately. She thought the audition process was the most friendly 

• Like 1

since the first Covid lockdowns, Elmhurst have not offered any in person preliminary auditions - it's all been video application which I personally think disadvantages a large number of applicants who maybe don't have access to studios, private teachers or good recording media.  Not sure what they will be planning this year but imagine the video application is here to stay

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thelittleswans said:

As Hammond has now been added to the list of schools of audition for, anyone know the application process and audition format? 

I’ve so far filled out an application form and awaiting response. I think the auditions are on the website in January 

mum sure they have to sing something too, but I’m not sure 

they have an open day 7th October 

Considering factors like financial considerations, geographical proximity, and the availability of boarding facilities, I've streamlined my daughter's school choices to RB, Elmhurst, and Tring. I believe this trio offers a balanced approach that minimizes stress and avoids building high expectations for schools that are far away with limited funding or inadequate boarding options.

I'd love to get your take on the upsides and downsides of these three choices. I get that everyone's got their own stories and opinions, however– a mix of personal insights gives us a well-rounded picture before the auditions. 

For instance, a strength for Elmhurst and Tring over WL seems to be that they offer 5 years of training whereas RB the need to reaudition in year 9 seems scary and daunting. However, im assuming some dancers who may have left WL have possibly joined Elmhurst or Tring to continue their training. A strength for WL would be its affiliation with the company and opportunities to dance at ROH. What sort of performing opportunities do they get at Elmhurst? I hear at Tring, some dancers have danced with ENB for Nutrcracker. 

• Like 1

@Thelittleswans Someone would have to have left Elmhurst in order for there to be any spaces for Year 10 so for me, that risk is too great at such a critical stage of education and the number of Year 9 students not getting into Year 10 at WL would be enough to put me off going there in the first place. It is interesting to see more and more very talented dancers turning down their places at WL either to go to Elmhurst/ Tring or to stay at home. That said, there is no doubt that the performance opportunities are superior at WL. Tring ballet students do get to do ENB’s Nutcracker if they’re the right height. Elmhurst only does in-house performances at Christmas and in the Summer, and it’s a real shame there aren’t any professional performance opportunities for them. Only two or three of the tiniest Year 7s get to do BRB’s Nutcracker. The training and nurturing ethos at Elmhurst are excellent, as is communication with parents. They are truly invested in the students they have chosen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thelittleswans said:

Considering factors like financial considerations, geographical proximity, and the availability of boarding facilities, I've streamlined my daughter's school choices to RB, Elmhurst, and Tring. I believe this trio offers a balanced approach that minimizes stress and avoids building high expectations for schools that are far away with limited funding or inadequate boarding options.

I'd love to get your take on the upsides and downsides of these three choices. I get that everyone's got their own stories and opinions, however– a mix of personal insights gives us a well-rounded picture before the auditions. 

For instance, a strength for Elmhurst and Tring over WL seems to be that they offer 5 years of training whereas RB the need to reaudition in year 9 seems scary and daunting. However, im assuming some dancers who may have left WL have possibly joined Elmhurst or Tring to continue their training. A strength for WL would be its affiliation with the company and opportunities to dance at ROH. What sort of performing opportunities do they get at Elmhurst? I hear at Tring, some dancers have danced with ENB for Nutrcracker. 

I think one thing you have forgotten - will your daughter be happy there?  I would honestly dispute the idea that any ballet school will "minimise stress".  Regardless of how things work on paper, reality may be different.  Does your DC get on with the rest of the year?  Is she happier in a purely ballet environment or happier mixing with a variety of performers?  Is she used to an urban or rural environment?

I sent my DS to the school which worked on paper.  He achieved more at a less prestigious school where he was happy and cared for by the staff who really went the extra mile for him. The boarding facilities to me were frankly dubious - to him it was home .

• Like 4

Regarding performance opportunities, it really only is a tiny number of students at any of the schools who get to perform with professional companies. This wasn’t even a consideration when I was choosing schools. We chose based on “will they be happy here” because no child will make progress unless the environment is supportive and right for them. 

• Like 2