ROH Autumn 23 booking

Guest oncnp

I was able to book once I got through but with the delay I could only get mid-bench on the opposite side to what I wanted for the matinee, so I really hope there won't be any confirmed leaners or very large people! I did manage to get an end of bench ticket for the evening.

• Like 3

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I think today was the first time I've got stuck in a queue looking at that ubiquitous sofa for Friday rush booking.

Today was only my second attempt to buy a Friday Rush ticket at the moment of release. Firstly, I got a message to say that all seats were sold then, after refreshing, I 'got through' immediately - to find that only one or two seats remained on sale for the performance I wanted.

There must be a secret method to using Friday Rush which I haven't yet fathomed.

@capybara Repeated refreshing is often required as the seats don't always appear exactly at 1pm (though of course today, when I couldn't get in until a couple of minutes later, they evidently had!). I remember one Mayerling last year when I spent nearly half an hour refreshing before seats finally appeared for one of the two performances I was after, the seats for the other performance having appeared immediately. Did you eventually get a ticket?

@alison Refreshing the Don Q seating plans now, I see the performance of 3rd November keeps appearing & disappearing from the drop-down list, so maybe there's some sort of technical glitch with that particular performance at the moment.

30 minutes ago, alison said:

Yes, I've just noticed that.  I click on it on the production page, and by the time it's taken me through to the seating plan we're on tomorrow's performance :(

At the moment 3rd November is showing up for me & there's a single balcony ticket C21 showing as available. Is that the area you're after & if so would you like me to get it for you? I've stuck it in my basket for the moment.

Edit: Basket time limit ran out so I'm assuming/hoping you didn't want it.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

Yes, thank you @Dawnstar but not a satisfactory one so I shall need to keep looking for returns.

Thank you also for confirming the need to refresh ….. and …. refresh ….. and …. refresh 😨

I think I'll be dreaming about the refresh button when the Manon run starts! Not having been able to afford to book when booking opened for that, I'm going to be entirely depended on Friday rush. Already feeling nervous!

ETA Three-quarters of an hour after rush was supposed to have started, I see half a dozen balcony standing tickets have now appeared for the Saturday evening. Strange...

Edited by Dawnstar

I find Friday Rush a bit hit and miss.  I generally can’t look until I get home from work, a good few hours after 1pm, and have managed to get tickets easily enough, but some weeks they seem to sell out very quickly and I have no luck. I’ve been lucky getting Nunez/Muntagirov (which I was annoyingly too ill to attend) and Osipova/Clarke too in the Cinderella run, so you never know with Manon - don’t despair.  I’ll be trying my luck for a couple of Des Grieux I really want to see too.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

At the moment 3rd November is showing up for me & there's a single balcony ticket C21 showing as available. Is that the area you're after & if so would you like me to get it for you? I've stuck it in my basket for the moment.

Edit: Basket time limit ran out so I'm assuming/hoping you didn't want it.

Thank you, Dawnstar - that was very kind of you.  Unfortunately I was on a Zoom call around then and wasn't watching the forum :( 

• Thanks 1

I've just received the latest offer from the ROH.  

We are offering two lucky winners four top-price stalls tickets to The Nutcracker on either Wednesday 6 December, 7.30pm or Saturday 23 December, 12.30pm, alongside a host of festive treats – it's the ultimate Royal Opera House festive experience! 

Draw tickets are £10 each and all proceeds will support the Royal Opera House. The maximum number of tickets you can purchase for this draw is 800.

I wonder if anyone here will attempt to purchase the maximum number of tickets!  You do get a meal for 4 as well.  And an ice cream voucher.  

• Like 1

Just now, Dawnstar said:

Why on earth would anyone want to buy 800 tickets? That would cost more than 10 times as much as just buying 4 top-price Nutcracker tickets directly!

Yes.  And you would be able to pick your own seats, rather than take the ones they offer you.  It would be interesting, though, to see what the management considers to be the best seats in the house.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Yes.  And you would be able to pick your own seats, rather than take the ones they offer you.  It would be interesting, though, to see what the management considers to be the best seats in the house.  

Around Row J of the Orchestra Stalls, I think, given that they mention stalls seats.

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

We are offering two lucky winners four top-price stalls tickets to The Nutcracker on either Wednesday 6 December, 7.30pm or Saturday 23 December, 12.30pm, alongside a host of festive treats – it's the ultimate Royal Opera House festive experience! 

Draw tickets are £10 each and all proceeds will support the Royal Opera House. The maximum number of tickets you can purchase for this draw is 800.

I wonder if anyone here will attempt to purchase the maximum number of tickets!  You do get a meal for 4 as well.  And an ice cream voucher.  

I keep getting these emails asking me to buy draw tickets and I always think, "if I wanted to go (and was free to go)  to that performance, I would have bought tickets already!" This time it's unusual in that the prize is 4 tickets instead of 2, and incudes the meal for four, but tickets are twice as expensive. At one point I was considering asking members whether they too get these and whether they feel inclined to buy. Am afraid my reaction for the scheme would be "good luck with that".

Of course, the fewer people that buy, the higher one's chances of winning, although of course that wouldn't help raise funds for ROH. I actually don't like sitting in the Stalls  nor do most of my family, so the prize would be no use to us.

What's my reply if they ask me how to raise more money for ROH? Simple. "Revive Ashton's Sylvia". And  for opera: "Revive Fulljames' Orphee and hire Juan Diego Florez." Both productions sold very quickly last time they were staged, and yes, I would pay for good seats for both. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5

I’m always interested until they mention it’s £10 to enter - er, no thanks, I’ll just put that towards the ticket I’m buying!  I guess they have lots of wealthy patrons who would spend a tenner like it’s £1, but it’s a big ask considering the probability of winning is very small.

I agree re Sylvia and will also throw in the usual comment of, “What about about Fille?”  Surely we’re all desperate at this point - I’d even take out a loan to get stalls seats for every performance... and that’s a promise Kevin, if you’re reading. 😆

• Like 6

15 hours ago, capybara said:

Around Row J of the Orchestra Stalls, I think, given that they mention stalls seats.

It really does depend who is sitting in front of you, as I have discovered on many occasions at the Royal Opera House.  I've never forgotten forking out for one of the most expensive stalls seats for Morera's last Cinderella, only to have a huge man sit in front of me, blocking most of the right hand side of the stage.  I was leaning forward so far I was practically sitting in his lap.  I did check with the people behind me in case I was blocking their view.  The man couldn't help his height, but I wondered if he could have arranged himself in his seat so that he was little shorter.  My husband is tall, but he has perfected that art of slumping comfortably so that the people behind can see.  

17 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

I’m always interested until they mention it’s £10 to enter - er, no thanks,

Yes, me too.  I have gone in for these draws before, but I am not really interested in seeing the Nutcracker anyway.  Now, if it was Fille?  I might have bought a couple.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Fonty said:

It really does depend who is sitting in front of you, as I have discovered on many occasions at the Royal Opera House. 

Agree - and I would never buy a seat there myself. But the ROH’s perception seems to be that seats in that kind of area are ‘the best’.

The cynic in me is saying good luck to the family which wins the Nutcracker outing and finds that any children in the party can’t see a thing.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Fonty said:

Surely any attempt at fundraising ought to be applauded? 
Raffles and Prize draws have been popular since long before I was born and must therefore bring in funds. 
At £5 I have bought tickets for previous prize draws as a way of making a donation. After all, that’s more or less the price of a coffee in central London these days. 
At £10 I’ll think twice but there are plenty of people who for whom spending £10 is the equivalent of my spending £5. 
And, although I didn’t win in previous draws, for some I received a follow up email with a discount code for the production in question. (I doubt this will be the case for Nutcracker) worth more than the price of the raffle ticket.

As for La Fille, I’ve already posted my thoughts this morning in reply to a comment posted on the Don Quixote thread so I won’t repeat them here.

Edited by PeterS
Sp

21 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Surely any attempt at fundraising ought to be applauded? 

I wasn't criticising the fundraising attempt.  It was the fact that the publicity states that they have put a cap on someone purchasing more than 800 tickets that caught my eye.  I have never, ever seen that in any competition of any sort before.  It was the idea that an individual might have £8000 knocking about in loose change to spend on these sorts of tickets.  If they've got that kind of money, they could make a separate donation,  pay for full price tickets, and leave the raffle to those who can less afford to buy top price seats in the stalls.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

If they've got that kind of money, they could make a separate donation,  pay for full price tickets, and leave the raffle to those who can less afford to buy top price seats in the stalls.  

Yep, it seems ever so slightly bizarre to think of someone actually doing that!

• Like 1

On 28/10/2023 at 18:13, Fonty said:

I haven't received this offer/email. Maybe it only went to non-Friends? Or to people who hadn't yet booked for Nutcracker? If it's for fundraising, why would it not go to all on their databases? (Not that I would actually want this particular prize; but they don't know that.)

• Like 1

%$"£^"$^ ROH website is playing up again!  That's several times today it's claimed to have tickets for November 3rd and then delivered me to a different date when I get into the seating plan.

(Sorry, not sure which thread we were moaning about this on, and don't have time to hunt through 26 pages of this one)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alison said:

%$"£^"$^ ROH website is playing up again!  That's several times today it's claimed to have tickets for November 3rd and then delivered me to a different date when I get into the seating plan.

(Sorry, not sure which thread we were moaning about this on, and don't have time to hunt through 26 pages of this one)

working now via Chrome on my laptop

It's not an offer, folks- it's an email hustling you for money! You're lucky you haven't received one. I think you can buy the raffle tickets on the ROH website (if you feel inclined). It's weird that the raffle tickers cost so much. They would raise more money offering them for £1.  They should also offer people a choice of productions and where to sit, subject to availability of course.

Edited by Emeralds