News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Breaking News: Newspapers at Berlin report that Sasha Waltz will follow Nacho Duato - goodbye to classical ballet at Berlin?

I have followed generally the recent ongoings at Berlin Staatsballett, but I am no expert, however I was under the impression that the perceived problems were due to the fact that Berlin audiences did not like the Modern style of ballet that Nach Duato brings, and so the ticket sales are lower than expected.

How then does this follow that he will be replaced by an even less renowned (outside of Berlin) modern choreographer pairing? 

On a personal note, I find the state of European Ballet leadership at the moment is at a long time low. Berlin, Milan, Zurich, to a lesser extent Royal all following the modern choreographer routes and the results are very much less than thrilling, and I cannot imagine the works being produced in this time being remembered in another 10 years, let alone 50.

The only shining light for me is Manuel Legris in Vienna quietly doing a wonderful job, and with a great repertoire. Munich is also exciting, if politically unstable.

• Like 2

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and Royal Ballet of Flanders also has a contemporary choreographer, who has his own company as well, as its AD. Unsurprisingly, it is doing a lot of contemporary work but still stages one or two classical pieces each year. Rather oddly (IMO), it's putting on Spartacus this season which doesn't seem an obvious choice for the company.

Are Berlin audiences more conservative than, say, Stuttgart's and Hamburg's?

Are Berlin audiences more conservative than, say, Stuttgart's and Hamburg's?

Definetely more conservative than Stuttgart's. Modern evenings sell perfectly well at Stuttgart, even with three new pieces, at Berlin you can put on one new piece per triple or double bill and make the other a Kylián or a Forsythe, and still it doesn't sell. They have a huge contemporary scene at Berlin, but the Staatsballett lacks "the middle thing", I mean modern ballet from the 70s, 80s until now, they never trained their audience for that. I have no idea how modern evenings would sell at Hamburg because they don't have them ;) - the repertoire consists of Neumeier and one or two classics per year thrown in for a change. The audiences are completely Neumeier-centered. The most modern audience may be at Ballet on the Rhine, they have no story ballets at all, just modern ballet.

• Like 1

On a personal note, I find the state of European Ballet leadership at the moment is at a long time low. Berlin, Milan, Zurich, to a lesser extent Royal all following the modern choreographer routes and the results are very much less than thrilling, and I cannot imagine the works being produced in this time being remembered in another 10 years, let alone 50.

The only shining light for me is Manuel Legris in Vienna quietly doing a wonderful job, and with a great repertoire. Munich is also exciting, if politically unstable.

Without trying to take this thread off topic - try Eric Vu-An's company in Nice :) , he is adding his version of Raymonda III and DonQ, and Petit's L'Arlesienne to the repertoire this season.

• Like 1

I wonder what will happen with the company at Berlin - surely Waltz will bring in her own dancers, so will they have two companies in one, half for the classics they still need to dance for the box office and half for Waltz's modern pieces? I fear there will be a huge exodus of dancers in the next two seasons, starting with Salenko.

Whereas the reactions in the social media at Berlin are mainly positive, the first comment in Die Welt is not so happy. Manuel Brug calls it "an early retirement scheme for a local luminary with only just some international aura left". Well, it's hard to become ballet director at Berlin.

So what it boils down to is that Duato's contract will not be renewed in 2019 and Waltz and Ohman will take over then. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but why has this news been 'highlighted' in the German media to the extent that it has?

By the way, nice to see Ksenia Ovsyanick specifically mentioned in the Morgenpost.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why has this news been 'highlighted' in the German media to the extent that it has?

It was not the German media, but the Berlin papers - everybody else has just a short notice on their website. Berlin is the German capital and State Ballet is Germany's biggest ballet company, of course people are interested in a new director. Wouldn't you discuss it here, if a big British company gets a new director?? I'm very happy when ballet news still make the headlines, I must say...

It was not the German media, but the Berlin papers - everybody else has just a short notice on their website. Berlin is the German capital and State Ballet is Germany's biggest ballet company, of course people are interested in a new director. Wouldn't you discuss it here, if a big British company gets a new director?? I'm very happy when ballet news still make the headlines, I must say...

Yes, of course, Angela, I understand the significance of the company and you are right: it is good when ballet makes the headlines and we would be glad about that in the UK too. I suppose what I can't quite grasp is that the change isn't now or next year but in three year's time.

• Like 1

There will be elections in the State of Berlin in 10 days and the Mayor wanted to announce a "positive" cultural appointment before that, that's what the newspapers write. Duato had a really bad press in the two years he has been in Berlin, so this decision now looks like Mayor Mr. Müller corrected the bad decision of his predecessor Mr. Wowereit. 

Another reason may be that all the classical dancers have enough time now to find other jobs until then... B):angry: 

• Like 1

There will be elections in the State of Berlin in 10 days and the Mayor wanted to announce a "positive" cultural appointment before that, that's what the newspapers write. Duato had a really bad press in the two years he has been in Berlin, so this decision now looks like Mayor Mr. Müller corrected the bad decision of his predecessor Mr. Wowereit. 

Another reason may be that all the classical dancers have enough time now to find other jobs until then... B):angry:

Oh, I see. Thank you for this explanation, Angela - much appreciated.

I wonder what will happen with the company at Berlin - surely Waltz will bring in her own dancers, so will they have two companies in one, half for the classics they still need to dance for the box office and half for Waltz's modern pieces? I fear there will be a huge exodus of dancers in the next two seasons, starting with Salenko.

Waltz will keep her own company, too. She doesn't want the repertoire of the State Ballet to be dominated by her works, so she says. Mr Öhman will act as adminstrative director. They want to keep the Classics ("50 per cent") but of course it's too early to tell whom they will bring here to rehearse them.

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/doppelspitze-fuer-staatsballett-berlin-sasha-waltz-und-johannes-oehmann-uebernehmen-intendanz/14514112.html

Waltz will keep her own company, too. She doesn't want the repertoire of the State Ballet to be dominated by her works, so she says. Mr Öhman will act as adminstrative director. They want to keep the Classics ("50 per cent") but of course it's too early to tell whom they will bring here to rehearse them.

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/doppelspitze-fuer-staatsballett-berlin-sasha-waltz-und-johannes-oehmann-uebernehmen-intendanz/14514112.html

So, a 'part-time' AD who keep her own company and will choreograph 3 new pieces in 5 years, an administrative co-director to organise the work, and classical teachers to train the dancers for a new repertoire.

No central responsibility for decisions, no strong direction, and no-one really taking into account the careers of the dancers, in terms of long-term planning or investment in them, on top of which the casting of the 'classical' will probably be just the same names who are the principals of the company.

With an ageing company of classically trained  principals, who have become tired of being sidelined with Nacho's favourites of modern choreography, and with Nacho having his leadership undermined for the next 3 seasons...... what could possibly go wrong?

I think it is a terrible decision, delivered at a terrible time, which will take energy out of the company. Politics shouldn't really be responsible for cultural decisions, and this seems 'on paper' a great idea, but in real life, the company will fall to pieces.

What was required, if the decision had to be made, would be a strong hand, to create a cohesive culture and identity under a single-leadership. I feel a professional director in the mould of a Vasiev at La Scala would have brought Berlin back from these dismal times, especially as they have some great dancers in the company. People mention that Malakhov should return, I am not sure he is appropriate, but would be an improvement....not politically, but better for the company.

EDIT: Sorry for talking in absolutes, of course this is very much my opinion.

Edited by SwissBalletFan

Well I'm not sure what to make of all the changes at Berlin. I'm sad the company has had such a tough time in the last couple of years. I loved Berlin under Malakhov but since he left I haven't been there nothing much to interest me as a fan of classical ballet. Only Jewels but haven't been able to go yet for that. Be interesting to see if Salenko does go but I think not unless her family goes too. Of course Berlin now has the delightful Ksenia Ovsyanick ex ENB so that is a plus.

• Like 1

First casting news from Munich: the new "tanz", the German dance magazine, says that Osipova/Polunin will dance the first Giselle of the Zelensky era on Sept. 23. (online only behind paywall).

Thank you for this news Angela. I got parkett tickets early enough to see the pairing in Giselle, and now it is confirmed. Very much appreciated.

Uff, da bin ich aber froh, dass sie wirklich tanzen :)

A long Zelensky interview in German language - he has found two new sponsors, he wants to celebrate Leonard Bernstein's (!!) and Marius Petipa's jubilees in 2018 at Munich, he sees himself as a team player but "somebody has to make the decisions". He also mentions that he invited Juri Grigorovich, Reid Anderson and Christopher Wheeldon to coach Spartacus, Romeo and Alice in person. His family lives in Munich now, and though he still is director at the Stanislavsky Theatre, Munich will be his main place of residence.

The dancers of Berlin State Ballet complain about the "very sudden decision" concerning their new directors in this article of Berlin Morgenpost. They say that Malakhov and Duato had worked with them before they became directors, but "What is Sasha Waltz's interest in us? What does she know about us?". It seems that protests will follow.

• Like 1

Here is the report on the demonstration with I think Nadja Saidakowa Principal dancer in the middle of the protest.

http://www.morgenpost.de/kultur/article208223359/Staatsballett-demonstriert-gegen-Sasha-Waltz.html

and here is the petition with a description in English.

https://www.change.org/p/rettet-das-staatsballett-save-staatsballett

Edited by SwissBalletFan

Staatsballett are using their Facebook page to promote the petition - has a couple of hundred likes and the comments are mostly supportive

I find this really a strange development, I would imagine the staatsballett is the new directors and the powers that be. That the administration themselves support the petition I find puzzling.

In other news casting for the new nutcracker and Giselle have been released. Iana Salenko is Prima Ballerina with her husband for nutcracker. Ksenia and Zurichs ex soloist Denis Vieira are the second cast.

Edited by SwissBalletFan

something new about munich giselle casting

Giselle

Natalia Osipova (09-23-2016)

Maria Shirinkina (09-25-2016) - afternoon

Ksenia Ryzhkova (09-25-2016) - evening

Svetlana Zakharova (09-29-2016)

N.N. (10-02-2016, 10-02-2016, 11-24-2016, 11-25-2016)

Albrecht, Herzog in Franken

Sergei Polunin (09-23-2016)

Vladimir Shklyarov (09-25-2016 - afternoon, 09-29-2016)

Osiel Gouneo (09-25-2016) - evening

Edited by helis
  • Like 1

The situation at Berlin is getting more complicated with every day. While the dancers' online petition has nearly 5000 votes by now (and is supported now via the official website of the company!), the Mayor of Berlin is intent on following through with his decision. The German press is divided between approving the move towards a more modern/contemporary company and wanting to keep the classical/neoclassical ballet. Most dance critics criticize the all-too-sudden decision, some hint at the lack of new creations by Waltz in the last two years. Nothing will happen before the elections at Berlin on Sunday, and then nothing will happen until they have a new government there, so maybe we just "sit this problem out", a well-known German activity in cases like that...

Edited by Angela

something new about munich giselle casting

Giselle

Natalia Osipova (09-23-2016)

Maria Shirinkina (09-25-2016) - afternoon

Ksenia Ryzhkova (09-25-2016) - evening

Svetlana Zakharova (09-29-2016)

Albrecht, Herzog in Franken

Sergei Polunin (09-23-2016)

Vladimir Shklyarov (09-25-2016 - afternoon, 09-29-2016)

Osiel Gouneo (09-25-2016) - evening

Except for Osipova/Polunin this casting has now disappeared from the Munich website. 

Zakharova has put on her own website that she's dancing Bayadere in Munich on 19th October. 

Edited by annamk

Except for Osipova/Polunin this casting has now disappeared from the Munich website. 

Zakharova has put on her own website that she's dancing Bayadere in Munich on 19th October. 

???? Is still there - nothing changed

This is an open letter from Sasha Waltz and Johannes Öhman that was published today by the press office of Berlin State Ballet, following the cancellation of a meeting by the dancers of the company. The dancers complained that the Berlin Cultural Office had demanded to submit their questions 24 hours before the meeting. The company on the other hand had demanded a  concept for the new direction and were surprised that no tangible draft exists until now, though there had allegedly been talks about it with Waltz and Öhman for over one year. It seems the situation is getting worse with every day.

Berlin, 19.9.2016

Dear Dancers,

very surprisingly we were informed this morning, that you have canceled our meeting for tomorrow where we wanted to present our future vision for Staatsballett Berlin. Since this meeting will not happen now we are summing up the most crucial points:

The Senate of Berlin believes that Staatsballett Berlin should have a more progressive repertoire. We were therefore asked by the government of Berlin to present a future vision for Staatsballett Berlin. To meet this request we came to the conclusion that Staatsballett needs to take a leap into the future – in order to become one of Europe’s leading repertoire companies.

Under our direction starting 2019 Staatsballett Berlin will nourish the classical heritage and at the same time create new works from the latest choreographers of today, classical as well as contemporary. Staatsballett presents yearly 10-12 productions on 3 different stages. 50% of the productions will be programed within the form of classical ballet (Sleeping Beauty, Swanlake, Giselle, Nutcracker among others). On top of this Staatsballett will perform neo-classical and contemporary works by the leading choreographers of today. The double leadership-model with shared responsability and a width of competences matches this vision. Furthermore Ms.Waltz will create new works for Staatsballett Berlin. For a period of 5 years she will give one work per season to the company, including new creations. The Company ”Sasha Waltz & Guests” will remain a fully independent structure.

We find it very unfortunate that the Staatsballett’s representative’s current tone, aggressive discourse and spread of misinformation harms the institution of Staatsballett itself.

We are open for further constructive dialogue.

Best regards

Johannes Öhman and Sasha Waltz

No, it looks like the old mayor will be the new one, he kind of won the elections (with huge losses and the problem to find a new coalition partner).

No idea where this will lead - I'm convinced that Sasha Waltz won't give up, she fought so long for a big company (or the money behind a big company). Maybe Johannes Öhman will back away and stay in Stockholm, facing such an angry company. In the end, most of the dancers will try to find new jobs in the next half year so they can quit after this season. I just read another article which states that Duato is hardly there to coach his Nutcracker, so they must feel rather lonely at the moment. 

By the way, the mayor has consulted international dance experts about his decision, his secretary for cultural affairs stated in an interview that they talked to someone from the Paris Opera ballet direction (the present, the former or the one before?) and to the director of Sadler's Wells. He also mentioned "German experts", but I guess nobody wants to take the blame right now B)

• Like 1