RB Sleeping Beauty - May/June 2023

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm wondering if the new McGregor piece is going to have either a very small cast or a very junior cast, since it feels like almost all the Principals have indicated that they're not appearing in it!

But the first cast of CORYBANTIC GAMES includes (with the usual subject-to-change caveat) Kaneko, Hirano, Ball, Bracewell, O'Sullivan, Magri and Clarke is in the second cast and Morera and Osipova are dancing Anastasia so there are quite a few principals involved in the triple bill. 

So I saw the livestream yesterday in a little town here in Germany, surprisingly they do show the ROH streamings although usually, it doesn't sell well. We counted 20 people yesterday 🙈. My parents live for these screenings as they are too old to travel long distances. And I overheard some people talking about how sad it is that there is not more interest in these awesome productions (opera and ballet).

Anyway. I loved the production, wonderful costumes, music, dancing. My Highlights were Matthew Ball as the light- footed Prince, Joseph Sissons as Bluebird and Annette Buvoli (totally new name for me) who catched my Mom's eye before I could gasp. Her joy and total in character dancing was a delight to watch.

Yasmine Naghdi did a wonderful Aurora, technically very good. It was my impression (and I might be wrong here), that she was/felt especially safe onstage as soon as M. Ball was partnering her. They were the perfect team.

I also liked the Wolf and the Puss-in-boot (I had to Google the translation and then I was like "doh, of course!"😀). I had expected to see Marco Masciari as one of these characters, but no such luck for him. As already pointed out in my previous post, his talent was terribly wasted as a servant. Well but what can you do about such casting as a dancer in his position...

Since I have seen Marcia Haydee's production here in Berlin, I was prepared for the Fairytale characters joining the Wedding Party, but my parents had a big question mark on their faces. However, all of them had a little or not so little solo dance in Berlin, so they were not just "decoration". If I remember correctly, we didn't have a Cinderella. But had a Snow White with 7 little dwarfs (from the ballet school), and an Ali Baba (with 2 female companions.

Thank you ROH for these screenings, keep them coming!

• Like 6

Marco Masciari had a nice plum role as the jester in Cinderella recently so he probably won’t have minded not getting a bigger role in SB on this occasion. There are others more “senior” to him who were not in soloist type roles either. However am looking forward to seeing him in more roles hopefully next year. 
I was wondering whether Darrion  Sellman who joined after the Prix last year is still around …another terrific dancer just waiting in the wings as it were!! 
Actually just looked fortunately he’s still listed but not sure now whether he joined the Company or the School last year 🤔

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Marco Masciari had a nice plum role as the jester in Cinderella recently so he probably won’t have minded not getting a bigger role in SB on this occasion. There are others more “senior” to him who were not in soloist type roles either. However am looking forward to seeing him in more roles hopefully next year. 
I was wondering whether Darius Sellman who joined after the Prix last year is still around …another terrific dancer just waiting in the wings as it were!! 

Yes to Darrion as well! I think it must be mortifying to be cast in such roles without any dancing. Marco is not a Newbie. I felt for him.

• Like 3

Yes I always worry when I see a really good dancer ( and yes they are all good but one who just catches your eye particularly) joining the Company and it’s then like they don’t exist any more often for a couple of years or so …Harrison Lee being such an example. 
I get worried they will end up being discouraged and leave!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Yes I always worry when I see a really good dancer ( and yes they are all good but one who just catches your eye particularly) joining the Company and it’s then like they don’t exist any more often for a couple of years or so …Harrison Lee being such an example. 
I get worried they will end up being discouraged and leave!!  

Which is why, IMHO, some dancers go to smaller companies which give them more opportunities from the start.

Although he is now with the RB, Alex Campbell is a case in point.  He was being given soloist roles from the day he arrived at BRB - as was Joe Caley, now with Australian Ballet.

• Like 8

Yes if I was a young dancer I can see the attraction of this. Look at Oscar Frame really flying now with Georgian State Ballet ( and deservedly so) I’m not sure he’d be dancing all these Principal roles ( has just been doing Albrecht in Giselle …again!) if he had stayed at the Bolshoi as it’s such a huge Company. 

On 28/05/2023 at 19:43, MJW said:

I thought exactly the same thing about Masciari - for someone who has played the Jester in Cinderella and Evans in I now, I then (Woolf Works) it was rather a waste of his considerable talent.

Agree. Huge follower of Marco Masciari. I was so happy to get to see his Jester as I waited a long time to see him in a showcase role like this 🌟

One of the (many) things I do not understand about RB casting is the slow progress of younger award-winning dancers. (Appreciate how world class the upper levels are! And the limit to available roles). But shouldn't winning the Prix de Lausanne mean something about your talent level, even once you get in to a company? Stanisław Węgrzyn is another dancer I'd love to see get more opportunities. 

NOT to compare dancers but rather companies — for example look how many principal roles António Casalinho or Shale Wagman have danced (beautifully) at Bayerisches Staatsballett. I guess I just wonder why a Prix de Lausanne winner would go to the hierarchy heavy RB vs a smaller company where they can really shine in classical roles from the start. 

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
9 minutes ago, Candleque said:

NOT to compare dancers but rather companies — for example look how many principal roles António Casalinho or Shale Wagman have danced (beautifully) at Bayerisches Staatsballett. I guess I just wonder why a Prix de Lausanne winner would go to the hierarchy heavy RB vs a smaller company where they can really shine in classical roles from the start. 

Recall though that António Casalinho did want to go to the RB but they were not hiring that year

21 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Agree. Huge follower of Marco Masciari. I was so happy to get to see his Jester as I waited a long time to see him in a showcase role like this 🌟

One of the (many) things I do not understand about RB casting is the slow progress of younger award-winning dancers. (Appreciate how world class the upper levels are! And the limit to available roles). But shouldn't winning the Prix de Lausanne mean something about your talent level, even once you get in to a company? Stanisław Węgrzyn is another dancer I'd love to see get more opportunities. 

Francesca Hayward, Matthew Ball, for example, progressed through the ranks of RB really quickly and were very young principals - I think they were both 24? I also think that just because a dancer wins an award, does not necessarily mean they deserve rapid progress through the ranks above everyone else - winning awards can be subjective, no matter how prestigious they are. Obviously, Marco Masciari is an amazing dancer and I would say him being the jester was a huge nod to his ability. I am certain he will be promoted soon. I also think the pandemic has definitely had an effect on the progression of dancers. I think that the lower ranks are brimming with talent at the moment and it must be so difficult to choose who is promoted and who isn't. It does bode well for the future, IMO.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Candleque said:

I guess I just wonder why a Prix de Lausanne winner would go to the hierarchy heavy RB vs a smaller company where they can really shine in classical roles from the start. 

A Prix de Lausanne winner is still relatively young and joins the RB as an apprentice, for further training, which I think means building up strength & stamina, refining technique, learning repertoire, partnering, acting and the rest. Some may even also have to carry on with academic study, depending from which country they originate.   They will have had to move country, with all that entails. It's a big step from student being nurtured at a vocational school to apprentice in a world class company and I suspect the RB is working on a programme to enhance skills (alongside the AJ trainees) and give experience when ready.

Marco had two years (his PdL was 2020, he was 17) as his time was interrupted by Covid.  I think he danced the Chinese dance in Nutcracker, too,  I suspect he's well aware he still has some spear carrying to do when required.  Being on stage and learning to act and be able to watch the principals is all part of the learning curve! I think he joined the company as artist in 2022.

And remember, these relatively young people have only just stopped growing, with all the adjustments that requires.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Recall though that António Casalinho did want to go to the RB but they were not hiring that year

I don't think it was that. I believe he had many discussions with the AD, but he wanted his partner Margarita Fernandes to be with him, and there were visa difficulties etc?

Guest oncnp
Just now, Ondine said:

I don't think it was that. I believe he had many discussions with the AD, but he wanted his partner Margarita Fernandes to be with him, and there were visa difficulties etc?

That's what Casalinho said at the time.

22 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Where this is something to ask for as a newbie,  if you ask me. Visa difficulties can always be solved. Munich did so for Shale Wagman who joined them in pandemic times.

1 hour ago, Candleque said:

I guess I just wonder why a Prix de Lausanne winner would go to the hierarchy heavy RB vs a smaller company where they can really shine in classical roles from the start. 

Maybe because they value the range of repertoire, the history, the theatre, the coaching, etc etc... Besides which, going straight to doing only soloist (let alone principal) roles is not necessarily the best way to develop and learn (including stagecraft, partnering, dramatic skills etc), which all dancers must do no matter how talented at the outset.

• Like 9

Guest oncnp
25 minutes ago, capybara said:

I agree that that is what he was reported as saying at one point but there are alternative versions of the story - i.e. that Antonio could have taken up an RB apprenticeship had he wanted it.

Apologies for dragging this out even further but since I made the statement, the source is Dancing Times, April 2021, pg 25

image.png.f29232257f57b9c488a377441767cb92.png

Edited by oncnp

The RB doesn't 'hire' into the company from the PdL though does it?

As a partner company, it offers a dancer a placement as the 'Prix de Lausanne' dancer, which I believe is initially for a year, a form of apprenticeship, as with the AJ dancers.  It's more about further training & experience, really.

After that the dancer may be offered an Artist contract with the company.  It's not actually a certainty is it?

BTW a search shows Marco Mascari,  who only properly joined the company as an Artist in 2022, danced both Harlequin and Chinese Dance in the same performance 

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/40/the-nutcracker-by-peter-wright/cast-list/51258

I believe he also may have danced the Russian Dance?  He's doing very well for a newcomer!

As an Artist, he also should expect to be doing 'crowd scenes', though I'm sure he'll be promoted before too long.

We are way off track from SB now!

Just to add: Darrion Selmann, as this year's RB Prix de Lausanne dancer, has an apprenticeship. He's not joined the company, though at the end of his year of further training / experience he may well be offered a place as an Artist, though he may not or he may choose to move elsewhere.

https://www.prixdelausanne.org/prize-winners/darrion-sellman/

This is why the RBS doesn't enter students for the PdL.  It's considered they already are training at one of the best places, and have opportunities to appear on stage and work as members of the corps.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 3

Those photos are so good I can even read what it says on the card with the flowers! I do always look forward to seeing these, thank you.

BTW, hard to tell under the wig but is that Darrian Sellman behind Yuhui Choe?  He was just 17 when he won his PdL prize, so he's only 18 now.

Actually a number of dancers in the company have been PdL finalists, YAGP too. Great showcases and lovely experiences, though these comps are not the end of training but a stepping stone, funding help and showcase for talented young people to be noticed.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous photos as always @Rob S. Having so stunningly captured Lilac Fairy’s flowers did you by any chance manage the same for Carabosse receiving her bouquet at about the same time? Given her distinguished and inexhaustible career, I imagine Elizabeth McGorian would feature very highly on many Ballet Forum members’ lists of dancers most seen and I thought it great to see her in such a role.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Fabulous photos as always @Rob S. Having so stunningly captured Lilac Fairy’s flowers did you by any chance manage the same for Carabosse receiving her bouquet at about the same time? Given her distinguished and inexhaustible career, I imagine Elizabeth McGorian would feature very highly on many Ballet Forum members’ lists of dancers most seen and I thought it great to see her in such a role.

Thank you, I'll have a look when I get home...I think I got one of her

• Like 1

Yes Ondine I think that is Darrion in the background he’s looks taller there than I expected him to be! 
Annette de Buvoli looks lovely as the Lilac Fairy! Does anyone know who Little Red Riding Hood is? 

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes Ondine I think that is Darrion in the background he’s looks taller there than I expected him to be! 
Annette de Buvoli looks lovely as the Lilac Fairy! Does anyone know who Little Red Riding Hood is? 

Cast sheet says Ashley Dean,

Yes I just managed to find the cast sheet and don’t know why I can’t get Ashley Dean fixed in my memory is it because she has changed hair colour 🤔but I know I’ve asked this before when at a performance ( in Cinderella for example) because she has caught my eye when dancing. 
Also apologies for confusing Annette with Nadia Mullova Barley above so it’s Nadia looking lovely as the Lilac Fairy!! 

13 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Cast sheet says Ashley Dean,

It is indeed Ashley Dean and the young man behind Yuhui Choe's Bluebird is the one I thought was Darrion Sellman when I was searching for him on the big screen.

• Like 2

In his Prix year Darrion looked to be a very classical dancer with lovely line and extensions etc so if he does stay I don’t think it will be too long (hopefully) before he will come to the fore and we”ll start seeing more of him. 

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

In his Prix year Darrion looked to be a very classical dancer with lovely line and extensions etc so if he does stay I don’t think it will be too long (hopefully) before he will come to the fore and we”ll start seeing more of him. 

Yes, but still very young, at 18, only 17 when he won his PdL prize, and possibly needing more experience. He's an apprentice not a company member. Partnering, for example, requires a great deal of strength and expertise & young men need to build that up. Some are still not quite finished growing when they are finishing vocational training, and are slightly built.   Far better to give them time to learn, to mature,  and not force them. I'm sure he's being given all the help he needs as an apprentice to develop his skills. Being onstage in a classical ballet in a world famous theatre in a world class company with world class dancers working right beside you is a good beginning.  He's learning to act, for one thing. 

There are many very very good young men (and of course young women) in the company. Look at Artist and First Artist list on the ROH site, which has been updated.  All of them terrific dancers.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Little Red Riding Hood

Yes Ashley Dean.

I notice both she and Julia Roscoe are being given more opportunities...

Ashley also did Rose Fairy in Nutcracker, too, recently, Julia Dancing Mistress and also was Lilac Fairy. I'm sure they have danced in a great many other ballets but those are off the top of my head.

Here they both were interviewed in 2016.

https://balletassociation.co.uk/pages/reports-2016-ashley-dean

Ashley also was in Crystal Pite's The Statement, which I loved.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=495991548519482

He’s actually just turned 19 in May! But still is and looking very young too of course. I wasn’t suggesting anyone should be forced before they are ready though! Just hoping his career will continue in U.K as I like his style! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Also apologies for confusing Annette with Nadia Mullova Barley above so it’s Nadia looking lovely as the Lilac Fairy!! 

I'm glad I'm not the only person who sometimes mixes up Annette Buvoli & Nadia Mullova-Barley!