RB Class on Stage 21/4

If anyone was at the RB Class on stage today I’d be very grateful if someone could please let me know the name of the male dancer who did the amazing grand allegro (there were multiple, but the dancer I was thinking of might be Joonhyuk Jun?) Many thanks in advance. 

Did you see them on stage afterwards? I think just showing off for the audience still in the auditorium !

From my IG reel - https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrTEGbtoEMu/

This was my fourth (or even fifth) visit to see class on stage - as ever absolutely fascinating.  Martin Diaz (I think) caught my eye front row left end.   James Large was in the cafe afterwards - he's so tall and looked very refreshed despite having been on stage for an hour and a half!

Edited by MJW
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

Very apt name, then!!  :)

It would have been nice to have been able to say hello but he was obviously engaged with friends or family and had come out to see them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I thought Taisuke Nakao and Daichi Ikarashi hugely impressive. And good to Olivia Cowley on stage for at least the barre part. [Just hoping I’m not mistaken.]

Yes @JohnS I thought it was Olivia Cowley too.

There were two ladies who I couldn’t stop watching  (maybe Katharina and Marianna?) they were just beautiful dancers. Also the male dancer in white (maybe James Large?) really stood out for me. 

28 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

Yes @JohnS I thought it was Olivia Cowley too.

There were two ladies who I couldn’t stop watching  (maybe Katharina and Marianna?) they were just beautiful dancers. Also the male dancer in white (maybe James Large?) really stood out for me. 

James was in the front row in the centre - certainly a very elegant dancer

Definitely Olivia Cowley at the front on the right as you look at the stage.  I loved Itziar Mendizabal.  She's always so enthusiastic and that's the second time I've seen her leading from the middle / front. 

Principals spotted: Mayara Magri very much to the fore, Matthew Ball, Will Bracewell and possibly Reece Clark but not sure as whoever it was lurked at the back? 

I also thought that Luca Acri (unsurprisingly) was very impressive

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

... and possibly Reece Clark but not sure as whoever it was lurked at the back? 

I also thought that Luca Acri (unsurprisingly) was very impressive

Yes Reece was there, as well as Akane Takada

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Hi, yes it was Joonhyuk Jun

5 hours ago, capybara said:

Hahaha! It always is!

Is Joomhyuk Jun considered to be potential future Principal material? He seems to have an extremely good technique, especially jumps-wise. (This is based on general viewing of him, I wasn't at today's event.)

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the class on stage today. It was the second time I had seen it and I will definitely go again if I can.  It was a real pleasure sitting in the stalls, listening to lovely piano music, and watching such a wonderfully talented group of people.  I just got a bit frustrated, trying to recognise who they all were. As usual, Rob Clark, accompanied them beautifully, and we got everything from Tom and Jerry to romantic show tunes.  My favourite bit was at the end when they were doing their pirouettes and fouettés etc to huge appreciation from the audience who gave them all a big and well deserved cheer at the end.

Edited by Nina99
  • Like 6

When you go to observe ENB Company in class they are usually very helpful and give out a couple of sheets with dancers names and pictures on which helps a lot to identify who is who. Mind you I haven’t seen a class post Covid so don’t know if still do this. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I loved Itziar Mendizabal.  She's always so enthusiastic and that's the second time I've seen her leading from the middle / front. 

Yes - she really stood out and I’m very pleased to hear that she’s impressed before.

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Is Joomhyuk Jun considered to be potential future Principal material? He seems to have an extremely good technique, especially jumps-wise.

Jun is great to watch and takes big risks in executing the most difficult jumps. Often he’s successful but not always. That’s in part why I highlighted Taisuke Nakao and Daichi Ikarashi who reeled off fabulous jumps and whose landings were soft, so secure, and held for ages.

• Like 2

Interesting to read the majority of posts in this thread about the athleticism of various male dancers and minimal mention of female dancers. Even before I had any particular connection with ballet, when I just went to enjoy a performance, it was the grace, co-ordination and the choreographic symmetry of the female dancers, which entranced me. 

David Drew, doubtless being over modest, told me (and others) that when he joined the company his principal job was to support his female partners. 

So, great though it is to watch all the guys jump and leap about the stage, I’m not sure that that’s what ballet is all about 🙂

• Like 2

I think ballet can be about whatever you want it to be and what you enjoy most about it is a personal thing.  I’m personally not in the “ballet is woman” camp.  I love a great male solo and thank the heavens they have more to do than stand around looking noble and supporting the ballerinas.  It’s the contrast between the athleticism and the poetry that makes ballet such a special and unique art form, as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 6

Guest oncnp
8 minutes ago, RobR said:

David Drew, doubtless being over modest, told me (and others) that when he joined the company his principal job was to support his female partners. 

At least one Principal still believes that. See Men at the Barre

At the beginnings of ballet, in the time of Louis XIV, I believe only men were allowed to participate. 😐

There have been many great male dancers, not only as 'porteurs'...  though sadly that is what ballet did descend to at times in the 19th century. 😉

"Le dieu de la danse" - Auguste Vestris 1760 - 1842  (Actually Valentino Zucchetti...) as re-imagined by De Valois.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RobR said:

Interesting to read the majority of posts in this thread about the athleticism of various male dancers and minimal mention of female dancers. Even before I had any particular connection with ballet, when I just went to enjoy a performance, it was the grace, co-ordination and the choreographic symmetry of the female dancers, which entranced me. 

So, great though it is to watch all the guys jump and leap about the stage, I’m not sure that that’s what ballet is all about 🙂

Most of these posts referring to the male dancers athleticism are written in the context of the class on stage; the dancers were just having a bit of fun and the audience responded. 

When it comes to performances I think everyone here appreciates the ladies as much as they appreciate the men. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Is it correct that L-R that's Denilson Almeida, Harris Bell, Nakao, Daichi Ikarashi, Francisco Serrano & Joonhyuk Jun?

That's correct.

• Thanks 1