White Lodge Final Auditions

Nana Lily

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the good wishes. Hope everyone at WL yesterday and today had a great time and that you all get good news later in the week.

Missed the speech at the beginning of the auditions yesterday due to traffic problems. Does anyone know if they said when the letters would be out?

DD not hopeful as the other 3 dancers going for the year 8 place were so good and I think there is only place available but you never know.

X

X

• Like 2

That sounds stressful Sniffymum. I know what its like to be stuck in traffic (and snow) on the way to an audition and its not good! Hope you saw my post in 'the wait begins' in reply to your post about pointe work and that it went OK. As always, don't worry about how good the other girls seemed to be. They often make surprising choices and take the one that they perceive has the most potential.

In terms of letters, they always say up to 2 weeks and they always come out at very different times. They try to get them out before the Elmhurst final so that you don't have to go to it and waste anyone's time if you've already been offered and decided to accept a place at White Lodge. Last year the auditions were less than a week apart so they got them out really quickly.

Got my fingers crossed for you!

• Like 1

Thanks Ribbons - DD will never give up hope - if it's not to be this year then she'll keep trying.

She already has an offer for Hammond and the Elmhurst final to look forward to but for her it's "the Royal" or bust - I have to admire her singlemindedness.

Reading other people's post of how their DDs/DSs have overcome rejections and made a successful career in ballet for themselves gives me hope that no matter what, things will work out in the end.

X

• Like 2

Very best of luck to everyone out there waiting for news from Royal ... and when the letter comes, if it's good news very well done, but if it's not the news you hoped for on this occasion don't despair and don't give up. Presumably you don't get to Royal finals if you're not very talented or show great potential, so keep calm and ballet on! x

• Like 2

Wow, Sniffymum, only four there looking for a yr 8 place! What a great achievement to even get that far!

Does anyone know if there were similar numbers for yr 9 and 10 places as well and if they gave an idea of how many places there were for those years?

Hope you all hear soon!

Hi Jellybeans - there were 24 altogether including 4 boys and the 4 going for year 8 so I guess that leaves 16 girls going for 9/10 places.

I'm not sure of the exact split but DD says there were definitely more going for year 9 than 10.

One of the PTA told me that there were technically 3 spaces available for year 9 and 4 for year 10 but don't know for sure. There were certainly at least 4 girls from overseas trying for year 10.

Hope this gives you some idea.

I heard that too.

I guess they have to consider how the finalists compare with those already in the year they would be joining but then again the longer someone with potential isn't getting that daily training then the further behind they are bound to fall!

• Like 1

My DD went to the final for a year 9 a couple of years ago and there were only 3 of them and one was offered a place. As said above, it is often not the one you think who gets a place; it is all about potential. I think they are happy not to fill places rather than take children who are not exactly what they are looking for. It is still a great achievement to get to the final.

Good Luck Sniffymum.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Hope everyone at WL yesterday and today had a great time and that you all get good news later in the week.

Missed the speech at the beginning of the auditions yesterday due to traffic problems. Does anyone know if they said when the letters would be out?

DD not hopeful as the other 3 dancers going for the year 8 place were so good and I think there is only place available but you never know.

X

X

Hi talking to one of the mums whose DD had audition they were told it would be this week!!

Good luck!!

Ax

Always remember that I had a gut feeling while at work that the letter had arrived couldn't wait to finish work and dashed home to find husband had already done the same and opened the letter!! W/L for ds, he had already prepared parents in case of distressed call but W/L isn't the end of the story just prolongs it. 10 days later it was a yes someone had turned a place down.

Thinking of you all waiting for that letter.

• Like 2

We got our letter a day later than everyone else (no facebook in those days - just lots of ringing round other parents who were friends from JAs etc!!). It was already a day later than in previous years so I was already climbing the walls and stalking the postman, so when I heard others had their letters I was ready to drive to the school to pick up a copy - and would've done if it hadn't arrived the following morning.

I saw the postman walking down the other side of the road after I'd taken the children to school, so a friend and I went after him and fortunately I'd got to know him well enough that he didn't mind looking for our post (I'd've felt like a right wally if it hadn't been there). It was a fat envelope and I was shaking like mad when I opened it and felt quite let down that the letter was full of official stuff about what forms to fill in rather than like the one in Billy Elliot (I never like comparing things to that film, but I would've loved a nice handwritten envelope - lol). Friend came in and made me a cup of tea while I rang hubby who was on a coach with a load of colleagues going to a conference - I think they all celebrated with him. (Reality hit him a couple of days later when he started to think about finances.)

Then I went down to the school at break time with a congratulations card for my son. He and friends ran around the playground screaming "I/he got in" when one of them stopped and said "Got in where?" :D

Anyway - just thought I'd share as we're now coming to the end of our school part of the journey and I'm feeling quite nostalgic ;)

• Like 7