Press Release: THE AUSTRALIAN BALLET RETURNS TO ROYAL OPERA HOUSE AFTER 35-YEAR ABSENCE

Guest oncnp
On 06/04/2023 at 13:29, Dawnstar said:

May I ask is anyone who has booking that has already opened is able to indicate if the prices for Jewels are the same or different to those advertised for Kunstkamer? When I look at the seating plan on the ROH's website it shows me all the different coloured dots but no key for what price each colour is.

image.png.ed186f5a8849bb325facfd061a8554a8.png

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Blossom said:

The seat you had today would be £41 for Jewels

9 minutes ago, oncnp said:

image.png.ed186f5a8849bb325facfd061a8554a8.png

Thank you both very much. My bank account is currently looking far from healthy so I'm trying to work out how many of the productions I would like to be able to book for I can actually afford to book later this week!

42 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Email received with oddities highlighted. Last time they travelled O/S they arranged a tour package for supporters. Now they want our frequent flyer points.

Screenshot_20230413_201553_Email.thumb.jpg.1c58a735e8afc4c67603e47a3b6825e5.jpg

Sorry my tech is too blurry to read the highlighted bits, Sophoife. What’s this about the frequent flyer points?!

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

Email received with oddities highlighted. Last time they travelled O/S they arranged a tour package for supporters. Now they want our frequent flyer points.

Screenshot_20230413_201553_Email.thumb.jpg.1c58a735e8afc4c67603e47a3b6825e5.jpg

I also got this email and what interested me was the opening sentence:  

"In what promises to be the most glamourous event of London’s cultural calendar, we are excited to be returning to the Royal Opera House in London this August for the first time in 35 years."

If they haven't been here for 35 years, I'd like to know which company brought the Ratmansky Cinderella to the Royal Opera House in the Summer of 2016

Edited to add that Forum members have been quick to correct my faulty memory.  Of course the 2016 season took place at the London Coliseum and not at the Royal Opera House

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Sorry my tech is too blurry to read the highlighted bits, Sophoife. What’s this about the frequent flyer points?!

If I'm reading it correctly 12,800 Quantas points = $100 donation, 320,000 points = return airfare 

Just now, Bluebird said:

"In what promises to be the most glamourous event of London’s cultural calendar, we are excited to be returning to the Royal Opera House in London this August for the first time in 35 years."

If they haven't been here for 35 years, I'd like to know which company brought the Ratmansky Cinderella to the Royal Opera House in the Summer of 2016!

That was at the Coli! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Here's the text you refer to, Emeralds 

"Help us get to London

For the first time, you can donate your Qantas Points to help our dancers get to London for this special milestone event.

If you donate 12,800 Qantas Points, The Australian Ballet will receive a $100 donation. A donation of 320,000 Qantas points would fund the return airfare of a dancer to London. We would be so grateful for any contribution, great or small.

Every Qantas Points donation helps get us one step close to the Royal Opera House in London."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

If they haven't been here for 35 years, I'd like to know which company brought the Ratmansky Cinderella to the Royal Opera House in the Summer of 2016!

That was at the London Colosseum, but I can’t blame you for thinking that, they are very similar.

Edited by Benjamin
Someone’s already said this, should have scrolled down on the topic.

The timings when the RB did it in 2017 were:

Emeralds 35 minutes

Rubies 20 minutes

Diamonds 35 minutes

Plus two intervals, each of 25 minutes. (I don't know if "1 interval" is an error, it seems strange.)

So it's 90 minutes plus interval(s), though the George Balanchine Trust website thinks it should be 81 minutes of dancing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Emeralds 35 minutes

Rubies 20 minutes

Diamonds 35 minutes

Plus two intervals, each of 25 minutes. (I don't know if "1 interval" is an error, it seems strange.)

So it's 90 minutes plus interval(s), though the George Balanchine Trust website thinks it should be 81 minutes of dancing.

I'm afraid the Royal dancers tend to dance Balanchine on the slow side.

I agree with Alison, one interval doesn't make sense. If there really is only one interval then it needs to be after Emeralds, it's the most substantial of the three ballets. But each ballet is so distinctly different from each other that running Diamonds after Rubies is too big a contrast.

• Like 2

I highlighted the mis-spelling of "glamorous" and the fact that the company marketing department doesn't know its own name ("The Australia Ballet"?!).

I'm also somewhat stunned by the begging for FF points: if Qantas are a major sponsor, why aren't they providing flights at a steep discount? Because 320K points is actually almost triple the number of points a normal FF member needs to fly to London and back from Melbourne (110,500).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Emeralds 35 minutes

Rubies 20 minutes

Diamonds 35 minutes

I assume it’s Emeralds, Rubies, Interval and Then Diamonds. Because Emeralds and rubies are on 55 mins but adding diamonds would be too long without an interval and then don’t have a third of the show being a interval.

3 hours ago, Benjamin said:

That was at the London Colosseum, but I can’t blame you for thinking that, they are very similar.

These theatres are nothing like each other.  For one thing the Coliseum is a Frank Matcham original and the ROH isn't!

Royal Opera House is mid nineteenth century white stuccoed building in the classical style with statues on the Bow Street facade salvaged from the second theatre  which had been destroyed by fire. It was designed by Edward Middleton Barry and although the theatre is much altered the auditorium  retains a typical mid century interior. The Coliseum is a good fifty years younger, built of reinforced concrete with a  flamboyantly Edwardian  exterior and interior. It was designed by Frank Matcham a master theatre builder as a variety theatre for Oswald Stoll who was one of the founders of the Empire theatre circuit. Matcham built a number of London theatres and was responsible for designing many, if not all, of the theatres on the Empire circuit. 

• Like 3

So...looks like the Hubbie might treat me to tickets to this!! Never before seen any Balanchine performed live nor have I seen the Australian Ballet so super excited!! Would folks on here recommend any particular show as best to go to? I was wondering if when there are visiting companies its best experience to go to an opening or maybe last night? Any opinions would be great - thank you!

• Like 3

@Peanut68 In my experience of AusBallet, I would recommend choosing whichever night suits you best. The current company dancers will do their best at all performances.

Anyone wanting to know what said experience is: subscriber for eight years, but haven't actually missed a season [except the night the dancers went on strike in October 1981 - I was in the theatre waiting for curtain up - and the COVID-cancelled seasons] since 1975, after returning from England.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

So...looks like the Hubbie might treat me to tickets to this!! Never before seen any Balanchine performed live nor have I seen the Australian Ballet so super excited!! Would folks on here recommend any particular show as best to go to? I was wondering if when there are visiting companies its best experience to go to an opening or maybe last night? Any opinions would be great - thank you!

Well, unhelpfully, I think both opening and closing nights have a special buzz about them especially if the company hasn't visited for a long time. I particularly like the excitement of the opening night.

33 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I think opening nights are a little more exciting!!   I’ve just booked the Wednesday Jewels and the Sunday gala today! 

Must say, that would be my ideal too! But with rubbish & really expensive train route meaning I usually do a 3.5 hour drive....best if i can stick to one trip!!

• Like 2