Press Release: THE AUSTRALIAN BALLET RETURNS TO ROYAL OPERA HOUSE AFTER 35-YEAR ABSENCE

58 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Also the Royal Opera Hosue has way less available dates only in July-August. Most companies are on break then or won’t have time to rehearse because they are just back from break.

...which of course is not a consideration with AusBallet.

Calendar year equates to season, sometimes February, sometimes March start, with a grand finish in Sydney just before Christmas. Summer holidays are Christmas and January. Mid-season break late July or August - this year August.

Wrenching this back on topic, Jewels (a company premiere - they have never danced any of it before) will have been performed 24 times in Sydney and then Melbourne before being brought to the ROH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

So...looks like the Hubbie might treat me to tickets to this!! Never before seen any Balanchine performed live nor have I seen the Australian Ballet so super excited!! Would folks on here recommend any particular show as best to go to? I was wondering if when there are visiting companies its best experience to go to an opening or maybe last night? Any opinions would be great - thank you!

Well done to the Hubble! We don’t have any casting yet so can’t tell you who is going to be dancing when, Peanut68. I think the whole company are currently of a high standard (that’s not lip service- I genuinely feel that). and you are going to get good casts whichever show you pick- first cast tends to be a strong cast or their best cast and with Saturday being a double show day, the evening cast, the one you said you booked, will probably be a good cast too, maybe the same as opening night.

Jewels is a gorgeous ballet to watch if you and/or your offspring is/are learning ballet, and a great introduction to Balanchine. Just lots of beautiful music and elegant dance. 

Some visiting companies don’t do anything unusual on first night, but David Hallberg might make a short speech since their last visit was 2016. Or maybe he won’t, and they’ll just bow for a bit longer while receiving bouquets. I think there could well be a little speech on Sunday - the day of the mixed bill.....especially since it’s a matinee so less of a rush to catch trains/buses and it’s still afternoon when they finish. (Just a guess.)

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

I’m glad the curtain colour has been clarified I was going to say I remembered it as being blue not red at the Coli. 
In fact I always feel there’s more blue in general than at the ROH which is very red but could be wrong. 
I love the lamps at ROH which somehow make it seem more intimate. 
The Coli and ROH and the National Theatre are the only three London theatres I could attempt to give any description of the exterior buildings though or find without having to look up first ….and can add the Almeida and Sadlers Wells to above known theatres 🙄

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I HATE it when the bows are very quick. This is the opportunity for the audience to show their appreciation to the dancers/conductor/orchestra and it strikes me as incredibly discourteous to both sides if time is not allowed for this. Are the audience irrelevant? Do the dancers not deserve acclaim? (Well, usually they do!). It's all part of the live theatre experience and if it doesn't happen the performance is not really complete.

Yes, I don’t like quick bows either. It’s like someone is clock watching and not allowing us to show our appreciation, or to give extra praise (applause/cheers) for a really outstanding performance. The worst bit is when the house lights come on very abruptly and everyone stops applauding immediately, and I think, “hang on, I was enjoying the moment!”

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

...which of course is not a consideration with AusBallet.

Calendar year equates to season, sometimes February, sometimes March start, with a grand finish in Sydney just before Christmas. Summer holidays are Christmas and January. Mid-season break late July or August - this year August.

Wrenching this back on topic, Jewels (a company premiere - they have never danced any of it before) will have been performed 24 times in Sydney and then Melbourne before being brought to the ROH.

I guess it makes a lot of sense to have the break in late December and January, because that’s the summer, Do they usually tour in August? Also it’s good service for London audiences when it’s just first performed a few months before London, but I guess it was supposed to be Kunstkamer so, yeah. 

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m glad the curtain colour has been clarified I was going to say I remembered it as being blue not red at the Coli. 
In fact I always feel there’s more blue in general than at the ROH which is very red but could be wrong. 
I love the lamps at ROH which somehow make it seem more intimate. 
The Coli and ROH and the National Theatre are the only three London theatres I could attempt to give any description of the exterior buildings though or find without having to look up first 🙄

You’re correct, LinMM....in that it used to be blue (blue curtain, blue seats) and cream for years and years, but after their refurbishment in 2004, the curtain is now violet, and the colour scheme is back to the original one of  violet, red and cream. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I HATE it when the bows are very quick. This is the opportunity for the audience to show their appreciation to the dancers/conductor/orchestra and it strikes me as incredibly discourteous to both sides if time is not allowed for this. Are the audience irrelevant? Do the dancers not deserve acclaim? (Well, usually they do!). It's all part of the live theatre experience and if it doesn't happen the performance is not really complete.

Agreed, it’s a great opportunity to congratulate the dancers and orchestra (not that you can see them but that’s just how theatres work) But I do understand when it goes too long because both the audience and we can assume the dancers want to home eventually.

• Like 1

Well just shows how you can go somewhere and not notice changes! I was only at the Coli in January and have been there loads of times since 2004 and hadn’t noticed the curtain colour change! The seats are still blue🤔…..as that’s my memory lol!! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Yes, I don’t like quick bows either. It’s like someone is clock watching and not allowing us to show our appreciation, or to give extra praise (applause/cheers) for a really outstanding performance. The worst bit is when the house lights come on very abruptly and everyone stops applauding immediately, and I think, “hang on, I was enjoying the moment!”

Sometimes the bows are VERY quick because a company doesn't want the orchestra to go into overtime if the show runs over 3 hours for whatever reason.

A friend and I saw John Neumeier's Lady of the Camelias in Paris in 2005.  The first night we were there the audience was enthusiastic.  The second night the casting was Agnes Letestu and unannounced guest Jiri Bubenicek.  To this day I cannot understand why I was sobbing helplessly about a man standing at the side of the stage reading a book.  The standing ovation was so long that the tech staff obviously gave up and went home leaving the house lights on and the curtains open.  It was one of the most remarkable nights of my theatre going.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

I guess it makes a lot of sense to have the break in late December and January, because that’s the summer, Do they usually tour in August? Also it’s good service for London audiences when it’s just first performed a few months before London, but I guess it was supposed to be Kunstkamer so, yeah. 

No, as I said, their mid-season break is usually late July-August. This year I believe the break will be after the company returns home from London at the end of the first week in August.

The last Australian performance of Jewels will be in Melbourne on Saturday 8 July. The London season opens on 2 August.

Just now, Sophoife said:

No, as I said, their mid-season break is usually late July-August. This year I believe the break will be after the company returns home from London at the end of the first week in August.

The last Australian performance of Jewels will be in Melbourne on Saturday 8 July. The London season opens on 2 August.

Sorry probably said the wrong thing and again, forgot to re-read. Only a short while to send sets and costumes over but it’s definitely possible.

1 minute ago, Benjamin said:

Sorry probably said the wrong thing and again, forgot to re-read. Only a short while to send sets and costumes over but it’s definitely possible.

I remember many years ago RNZB hired Northern Ballet's Christmas Carol and the sets and costumes were sent to NZ.

Then NB announced that the production was appearing that Christmas season in Leeds.

Apparently it was touch and go if the season could go ahead because the sets and costumes were held up coming back by sea/land!!  Fortunately they did just get back in time and the season went ahead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Sometimes the bows are VERY quick because a company doesn't want the orchestra to go into overtime if the show runs over 3 hours for whatever reason.

A friend and I saw John Neumeier's Lady of the Camelias in Paris in 2005.  The first night we were there the audience was enthusiastic.  The second night the casting was Agnes Letestu and unannounced guest Jiri Bubenicek.  To this day I cannot understand why I was sobbing helplessly about a man standing at the side of the stage reading a book.  The standing ovation was so long that the tech staff obviously gave up and went home leaving the house lights on and the curtains open.  It was one of the most remarkable nights of my theatre going.

If it’s a long show (eg Swan Lake, R&J, Song of the Earth double bill with anything) I too wouldn’t mind being able to leave for the station sooner 😁, but would still like a bit of time for applause too. But for two act shows eg Nutcracker, Giselle (Akram Khan or Skeaping), they should let us and the artists have a few minutes more!

Aww.....That’s wonderful for Agnes and Jiri. La Dame aux Camellias is heartrending in itself- I think I was teary eyed at the end just watching it on tv! (Agnes with Stephane Bullion). 

Edited by Emeralds

3 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

they are exactly the same, except they're completely different. Though they do both have seats and a stage and everything!

3 hours ago, Benjamin said:

There are not exactly the same nor completely different. I try to back someone up, then explain myself and people reply like this, anyway…

Benjamin, people on this forum do like to have a laugh, as per zxDaveM's post; it isn't malicious. And you have to admit, they do both have seats and a stage and everything ...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

To this day I cannot understand why I was sobbing helplessly about a man standing at the side of the stage reading a book.

That was my first experience with this piece when I was 14 years old, exactly that scene. I decided never to go to the ballet again if it was that heartbreaking. I could endure Romeo and Juliet, but that was too much. Today I cry at other scenes from Lady of the Camellias - for example when the piano music at the very end, when she dies, comes from behind the stage and not from the orchestra pit any more... Or when des Grieux comes in after the black pdd and rushes trough Marguerite's dream in search of Manon...  I'm sorry, back to the non-tearful, but boring Jewels 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

How long would it take to ship the sets and costumes by sea?  Could that explain the campaign to collect Air Miles? :)

1 minute ago, alison said:

How long would it take to ship the sets and costumes by sea?  Could that explain the campaign to collect Air Miles? :)

No, on reflection I think they might be trying to get the dancers in to at least premium economy. Leg room and stretch room, y'know. It's a hellish long flight, whether Melbourne-Perth-London or the more traditional routes.

One positive about Jewels from the logistics point of view might be that AusBallet will hire the production from the Royal Ballet, thus negating the need for costume/set transport altogether! But that's just a guess.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Australian Ballet has premiered Jewels in Sydney.  There is a review in today's Links (15th May):

Thank you, Janet. It certainly whets the appetite!

There was also an excellent review in the May 5 links.  I hope it's OK just to paste in the link rather than all the links for that day:

https://limelightmagazine.com.au/reviews/jewels-the-australian-ballet/

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 3

I see Adam Bull’s retirement was announced and his farewell performance was the Paragon mixed bill, so it looks unlikely that he’ll be coming to London - sad news! Maybe he could be persuaded to come for one last tour! 

Adam will actually take his final bows during (?at the end of?) the Melbourne season of Identity, @Emeralds

Although he has danced in Jewels in Sydney, the two programmes are running in rep there, whereas in Melbourne Jewels will follow Identity.

If my subscription night isn't one of his I'll have to change it as I very much want to see him one last time. I remember when he was made senior artist and then principal six months later - and it was another four years before he really came into his own, in the Manon bedroom pdd with guest Julie Kent for the AusBallet 50th anniversary gala.

Last time the company did Giselle in Melbourne, in 2018, I asked him why the brisés volés not the entrechats six and he said "old knees" 🤭

• 3 weeks later...

Returning to the timings and interval question: the ROH page now says:

RUNNING TIME
This performance will last approximately 2 hours, including two intervals.
APPROXIMATE RUNNING TIMES:
Act I: Emeralds : 30 minutes
Interval : 20 minutes
Act II: Rubies : 20 minutes
Interval : 20 minutes
Act III: Diamonds : 30 minutes

(I'm slightly sceptical of these timings - is the ROH capable of keeping to a 20 minute interval? They usually have more leeway in the Act timings - and would allow a bit extra.)

Doesn't feel like that many minutes in total of dancing.....is this usual for Jewels? Almost feel like they could run Emeralds & Rubies together, then interval, then Diamonds & - if they must have a second interval - do another short one act ballet or a couple of items from the Sunday Gala.....I'm sure the UK audience have waited a long time for this visit so deserve a bit more stage time!

• Like 2

This is decidedly weird!

A big promo piece by Hallberg for Australian Ballet's Jewels,  and this is the Royal Ballet dancing?  Have I missed the credit?

Also there will be a livestream of Jewels July  6th

Livestreamed Live on BalletTV  'which can be accessed from anyhwere in the world' it says

https://australianballet.com.au/performances/live-on-ballet-tv

Edited by Ondine

41 minutes ago, Ondine said:

This is decidedly weird!

A big promo piece by Hallberg for Australian Ballet's Jewels,  and this is the Royal Ballet dancing?  Have I missed the credit?

Also there will be a livestream of Jewels July  6th

Livestreamed Live on BalletTV  'which can be accessed from anyhwere in the world' it says

https://australianballet.com.au/performances/live-on-ballet-tv

I would assume that the RB has given permission for the clips to be used.

This film, if you look at it on YT, looks as though it was issued before the Australian premiere so if the promo wanted to use performance clips then it seems logical that clips from another company (even if that company does not seem to have been credited).

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, Ondine said:

Which translated to pounds is not too bad. Cheaper than a night at the ROH at least.  Well it is for me.

Just didn't want anyone to think it was free.....

4 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I would assume that the RB has given permission for the clips to be used.

This film, if you look at it on YT, looks as though it was issued before the Australian premiere so if the promo wanted to use performance clips then it seems logical that clips from another company (even if that company does not seem to have been credited).

Yes.,that's the weird part, no credit, no mention that it's the Royal Ballet. Even with permission, which I'm assuming was given, you'd have thought a passing mention of the company at least.