Tokyo Super Stars Gala November 2022

I see that the International Ballet Galas in Japan have resumed, I guess Vadim Muntagirov might have picked up another Rudolf here in London had he not been engaged there.

Anyway, I was shocked and disappointed to see the name of "Svetlana Zakharova, Principal of the Bolshoi Theatre" among the invited guests.

https://www.t-bunka.jp/en/stage/16562/

Her smiling happy face on this Instagram post from Manuel Legris ........ 

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClZvUGpS88D/

How can she be given an artistic platform as if nothing is wrong  - as Olga Smirnova said in the Dance Europe interview released yesterday, explaining why she left the Bolshoi and Russia "if you represent the Bolshoi Theatre, you represent the country" 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It is really shameful that Japan has hosted Russian dancers, having joined the West in taking a stand against the Russian invasion. It is particularly  disappointing to see Osipova, Nunez and  Muntagirov - who danced in the Ukraine gala - sharing a stage with Zakarova, who as Annamk rightly observes, is the Russian state under Putin incarnate.  Why they (and Ed Watson) have chosen to appear with her - or even been given permission by the ROH to do so - is perplexing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BeauxArts said:

It is really shameful that Japan has hosted Russian dancers, having joined the West in taking a stand against the Russian invasion. It is particularly  disappointing to see Osipova, Nunez and  Muntagirov - who danced in the Ukraine gala - sharing a stage with Zakarova, who as Annamk rightly observes, is the Russian state under Putin incarnate.  Why they (and Ed Watson) have chosen to appear with her - or even been given permission by the ROH to do so - is perplexing. 

5 hours ago, annamk said:

see

Edited by Silver Capricorn
I don't understand it either. Zacharova performs in Italy at La Scala as if nothing had happened. But the opera singer Netrebko also performs there, which is even worse. I think the organizers are only interested in profit
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

How is Netrebko performing there worse than Zakharova?

If she does ballet? 😁

Netrebko was "absolved" by some opera houses, she was at the Arena di Verona in summer, she sang at the Vienna Opera im September, and she'll be in Germany in January, not hired by an opera house, but at a concert with her tenor husband. I guess she pretended convincingly enough that she is not a political person, I don't know.

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

How is Netrebko performing there worse than Zakharova?

I wondered the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Angela said:

If she does ballet? 😁

Netrebko was "absolved" by some opera houses, she was at the Arena di Verona in summer, she sang at the Vienna Opera im September, and she'll be in Germany in January, not hired by an opera house, but at a concert with her tenor husband. I guess she pretended convincingly enough that she is not a political person, I don't know.

I see that the Leonora casting opposite her husband for the ROH Il Trovatore next June is still showing as tbc. Not sure whether Netrebko was originally listed - I have a feeling that she was - and, if so, whether the ROH is keeping the casting open pending the political situation at the time. No doubt we will see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I see that the Leonora casting opposite her husband for the ROH Il Trovatore next June is still showing as tbc. Not sure whether Netrebko was originally listed - I have a feeling that she was - and, if so, whether the ROH is keeping the casting open pending the political situation at the time. No doubt we will see. 

I've been keeping a close eye on that too - a very Netrebko-shaped hole in the casting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angela said:

If she does ballet? 😁

While many might see political naïveté as a generous interpretation of Netrebko's past words and actions, at least there is room for it to be made. With Zakharova there is none.

• Like 4

There are two other dancers from Russia involved in this gala 

- Danila Korsuntsev (Former principal of the Mariinsky Ballet)

- Daria Pavlenko (Former principal of the Mariinsky Ballet)

In addition I see the artistic director of the gala is Patrick de Bana.  

Patrick is interesting as he clearly doesn’t pay attention to the artistic/cultural barriers that you all feel should apply.  

His latest creation ‘Minotaur’ for dancers from the Bolshoi premiered a week or so ago.  As an aside, Denis Savin was hugely impressive in the title role

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClEdpakjjCB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

If you read Patrick’s comments, words similar to this extract appear often:  

May this love be a little part of the ocean of PEACE.
Art in stormy times may be the form to bring more understanding to humanity.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FionaE said:

There are two other dancers from Russia involved in this gala 

- Danila Korsuntsev (Former principal of the Mariinsky Ballet)

- Daria Pavlenko (Former principal of the Mariinsky Ballet)

Danila Korsuntsev has moved to Guest Soloist position. What a fine talent and sympathetic presence he is.

Daria Pavlenko, I’d follow off the end of the earth as far as human decency is concerned,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Yes we shouldn't mix art with politics but somehow it still grates. Oh well.... 

But we do mix art with politics ...... Royal Opera House fundraising galas for Ukraine, the Dance for Ukraine gala at the London Coliseum, the Ratmansky Giselle also a the London Coliseum ...... 

• Like 3

I think it’s possible to support both the humanitarian need in Ukraine, and not to ostracize Russian ballet dancers … who have no choice in how their employer is funded (the Russian state) and therefore in what they are required to support.  

Mind you it’s no different here, imagine the consequences if a RB principal with strong Christian principles refusing to join a post performance line-up with the Royals because they disapproved of the King’s adultery with Camilla. 

It would be wonderful for Russian Ballet if Svetlana could join the Ministry of Culture and get more state funding for cultural projects and ballet in particular.  

Edited by FionaE
Grammar this time

13 hours ago, FionaE said:

f you read Patrick’s comments, words similar to this extract appear often:  

May this love be a little part of the ocean of PEACE.
Art in stormy times may be the form to bring more understanding to humanity.

I think that the most charitable thing that can be said about de Bana is that he is supremely naive. Why would any self-respecting person agree to create a ballet in Moscow knowing that the Bolshoi represents  the Russian state.  I am sure de Bana's words are immensely comforting to the families of the people killed in Bucha, Kharkiv, Kherson, Melitopol and countless towns and villages in Ukraine,  and also to all the people in Ukraine now struggling to survive  without access to basic amenities he takes for granted. It is beyond shameful.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

I think that the most charitable thing that can be said about de Bana is that he is supremely naive. 

Or he supports the Russian gov't (totally his right, everyone's entitled to their opinion) but it's safer to hide behind meaningless platitudes. 

@FionaE - comparing (then Prince) Charles "infidelity" with the invasion of a sovereign nation, indiscriminate bombing and torture of civilians and leaving millions without basic services because you can't win on the battlefield (not to mention wrecking half the world's economies)? Seriously? 

Edited by oncnp

@oncnp   I compare Russian ballet dancers’ ability to influence their government … with my own ability to influence my own.  Effectively nil.  So far we are equal. The only difference is that sometimes I can speak out about it.  They cannot.

The emotional feedback I get from Patrick’s messages is love.   Whereas in this forum it is often hate.  I know which I prefer.  I will support any person who is trying to spread love and build bridges in any way they can, however small.  

20 minutes ago, FionaE said:

@oncnp   I compare Russian ballet dancers’ ability to influence their government … with my own ability to influence my own.  Effectively nil.  So far we are equal. The only difference is that sometimes I can speak out about it.  They cannot.

They can speak out. Olga Smirnova did. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, annamk said:

They can speak out. Olga Smirnova did. 

She only spoke out once she was safe outside Russia.  She is in a unique and privileged position being already a prima ballerina and therefore able to secure a role elsewhere.  She had the added advantage of financial security given her husband’s job and level in investment banking.

I’ve no doubt it is still not easy for her either … her family and friends in Russia may be estranged from her, or worse.  

You cannot seriously expect all Russian dancers to leave, speak out and also secure jobs outside Russia.  

Edited by FionaE
Clarification

46 minutes ago, FionaE said:

The emotional feedback I get from Patrick’s messages is love.   Whereas in this forum it is often hate.  I know which I prefer.  I will support any person who is trying to spread love and build bridges in any way they can, however small.  

A. Of course they can speak out and some have, even enduring the economic hardship involved. 

B. Do you interpret any negative comment of the Ukraine invasion on this forum as hate?  I see it as a difference of opinion

Edited by oncnp
clarification

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

FionaE, when Alexei Ratmansky decided to cut all ties with Russia, your reaction was scepticism and nitpicking; Smirnova's defection is explained away as no great sacrifice. De Bana and previously Polunin on the other hand get a free pass for their tacit or overt (respectively) support for the status quo in Russia.

Others here have managed to express support for and interest in artists still working in Russia without denigrating those with an opposing view.

I don't think you are "pro-Russia" but I do see a lot of motivated reasoning.

• Like 7

I would say though that we are politically able to do more than speak out in UK ….as we do have political Parties  of a different view to the current Gov. able to be realistically voted for so we do have the power to change things which is not the case in Russia so we do have more power as individuals here even if it can seem a bit bleak at the moment. 

This is such a difficult one as each dancers life will be in a different position slightly depending on whether they are married and have children etc have elderly parents and so on ….maybe even down to how many links they may have outside of Russia. 
We don’t know for sure if some dancers are trying to change things from within but in the end you have to eat and earn a living of some sort!! 
It’s maybe too easy for people in countries which haven’t actually been invaded for a very long time to say what they would do in the circumstances or equally if their country was the aggressor. Would they actually leave in either of those circumstances? 
I suspect for a dancer like Zakharova and her status etc where her career at the Bolshoi has given her everything it is a case of the proverbial camel and the eye of a needle……

Personally I don’t think we should be too judgemental of those who stay but nevertheless laud those who have been able to make a break and support them wherever they choose to dance. 

• Like 5

@Lizbie1 I did not say it was not a sacrifice for Olga and her husband to choose to leave.  The people of Russia and Ukraine have all been put in the most awful position by this war … to have to make choices from increasingly limited (and unattractive) options.   I can only begin to imagine how hard this is.  I only point out that Olga had more options left open to her than others do. 

• Like 1

Would just like to add to the above that people who do not need to be in Russia so do not currently live there and would only be there by invitation might be wise to refrain from collaborating to make new ballets with Russian Companies just at the moment. 

• Like 6

Guest oncnp

I know this has been mentioned elsewhere but can't find it and didn't think it worth a new thread 

The Artists: The Brilliance of Ballet

A gala-style ballet performance with Hikaru Kobayashi as artistic director. A gorgeous competition featuring 12 dancers who reign at the top of the ballet scene in London and New York.

August 2023 (Fri), 8 (Sat), 11 (Sun), 12

Bunkyo Civic Hall Large Hall, Tokyo

Performance Overview | The Artists - The brilliance of ballet - < official website>

Guest oncnp
40 minutes ago, capybara said:

These performances are not a competition!!!

Googletranslate up to its tricks again?

That was the website's English translation page.

I think the link above does not show who is participating so here is the link to the artists

https://www.theartists.jp/artists.html

Marianela Nuñez

Fumi Kaneko

Mayara Magri 

Matthew Ball 

William Bracewell 

Vadim Muntagirov

Daichi Ikarashi

Tiler Peck

Catherine Hurlin

Roman Mejia

Aran Bell

Kotomi Yamada

here is an interview with Hikaru Kobayashi (in Japanese but you can google translate) talking about the concept of this gala.

https://www.chacott-jp.com/news/worldreport/others/detail030530.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3