Royal Ballet Japan Tour Casting

I've just spotted this cast sheet photo on Twitter, as Gary Avis retweeted the linked tweet. Very interesting casting for For Four. I know it's changed due to injury but it still must be pretty good that Liam Boswell is cast in a role like that, alongside much higher-ranked dancers, when he's still only an Artist. Surely he must be in line for promotion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just spotted this cast sheet photo on Twitter, as Gary Avis retweeted the linked tweet. Very interesting casting for For Four. I know it's changed due to injury but it still must be pretty good that Liam Boswell is cast in a role like that, alongside much higher-ranked dancers, when he's still only an Artist. Surely he must be in line for promotion.

Yes - kudos to Liam Boswell who replaced Luca Acri who had, himself, replaced Marcelino Sambe in the first cast.

That second For Four cast ended up being composed of an Artist (Liam), a Soloist (Leo), a First Soloist (Joe) and a Principal (Will). An appropriate reflection of the talent with the RB atm. Nice!

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, capybara said:

Yes - kudos to Liam Boswell who replaced Luca Acri who had, himself, replaced Marcelino Sambe in the first cast.

That second For Four cast ended up being composed of an Artist (Liam), a Soloist (Leo), a First Soloist (Joe) and a Principal (Will). An appropriate reflection of the talent with the RB atm. Nice!

Quoting myself to atone for the cardinal sin of listing first names only and including shortened ones to boot. Whoops - sorry!

In addition to the dancers properly credited, those appearing were Leo Dixon, Joseph Sissens and William Bracewell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I hope Luca is well? I was hoping to catch him and Anna Rose in Corybantic Games, I believe they were only on for the triple bill opening night.

Stellar cast for For Four - again, a massive shame nothing is being recorded!

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Quoting myself to atone for the cardinal sin of listing first names only and including shortened ones to boot. Whoops - sorry!

In addition to the dancers properly credited, those appearing were Leo Dixon, Joseph Sissens and William Bracewell.

I understood who you meant! :) 

Guest oncnp
4 hours ago, MJW said:

Was Luca Acri a replacement for Sambe (as he was the other cast member for For Four last year)?

Yes, Sambe was absent yesterday. (I watched both performances) I hope he is fine and can dance his Romeo. (He has posted on Instagram that he is in Tokyo) 

Sae Maeda replaced Claire Calvert in Prima.

Dancers that seem to be absent in the tour  besides the ones who are known to be injured are Melissa Hamilton and Yuhui Choe, Thomas Whitehead. Valentino Zuchetti is here but does not seem to be dancing. There were Miyako Yoshida and David Bintley in the audience. (Bintley is in Japan to coach his works to Star Dancers Ballet) 

Will report more as I am in my way to see the third performance. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Yes, Sambe was absent yesterday. (I watched both performances) I hope he is fine and can dance his Romeo. (He has posted on Instagram that he is in Tokyo) 

Dancers that seem to be absent in the tour  besides the ones who are known to be injured are Melissa Hamilton and Yuhui Choe, Thomas Whitehead. Valentino Zuchetti is here but does not seem to be dancing. There were Miyako Yoshida and David Bintley in the audience. (Bintley is in Japan to coach his works to Star Dancers Ballet) 

Enjoy! I think we are all very jealous 😄 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Thank you! I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts! :) 

8 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Dancers that seem to be absent in the tour  besides the ones who are known to be injured are Melissa Hamilton

She tweeted a few days ago that she was rehearsing for one of Roberto Bolle's Italian shows so perhaps she's been allowed to do that rather than dance in Japan. I guess she wouldn't have been allowed to do Juliet even if she was there, as I understand the Japanese promoters want Principals in the lead roles, so I can imagine dancing in Italy might appeal more than going all the way to Japan to only dance minor roles.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Marvellous though it is for the company to be in Japan, I do sometimes wish they would tour the UK on occasion...

I believe they came to Liverpool in the early 1980s just before I was a ballet-watcher.  I saw them in both Manchester and Birmingham in the late 1980s or very early 1990s so it must be  just on 30 years since the company ventured (as a whole) out of London and into the provinces.

However, there is much ballet to enjoy outside London with BRB, NB, Ballet Black, Scottish Ballet, Ballet Cymru to entertain us.

• Like 3

On 24/06/2023 at 17:09, Dawnstar said:

've just spotted this cast sheet photo on Twitter, as Gary Avis retweeted the linked tweet. Very interesting casting for For Four. I know it's changed due to injury but it still must be pretty good that Liam Boswell is cast in a role like that, alongside much higher-ranked dancers, when he's still only an Artist. Surely he must be in line for promotion

Apparently, this casting of For Four was particularly superb. The 4 dancers styles complemented each other perfectly.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Apparently, this casting of For Four was particularly superb. The 4 dancers styles complemented each other perfectly.  

I would love to have seen that, along with everything else! Lucky Japan and audience! :) 

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
On 10/06/2023 at 09:19, Naomi M said:

By the way Mariko Sasaki and Lukas Braensrod will be dancing in a full length Nutcracker outdoors in Japan this July, in a mountain resort called Kiyosato. This is a performance with beautiful nature backdrop accompanied with fireworks and the company Ballet Chambre Ouest is where Mariko studied ballet, her home company in Japan. 
https://www.fieldballet.com/

Lukas’s message 

https://www.fieldballet.com/news/佐々木万璃子さんパートナー〉英国ロイヤルバレ/

And also dancing together on a more permanent basis, it seems. Congratulations!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct_fnRPPLEF/