Royal Ballet School matinee, 16th July, availability

Thanks, Alison- that’s unusual to see those tickets go back (perhaps flight disruptions have had an impact on audience members from abroad being able to travel to London to attend).

I never used to book for RBS as it usually sells out almost immediately and I always feel that parents, relatives, friends and former teachers of the students who are eager to see them on stage and support them should get first dibs on the tickets. The seat plan is interesting for two things though- didn’t know the Grand Tier now has four tall loose seats in row C (I like these) and that C8 (and presumably its equivalent on the opposite side) is significantly obstructed by the pillar- those two seats really should be slightly cheaper than the rest of the row as sightlines are affected. 

The RBS show can be very enjoyable and rewarding as infrequently performed gems of the repertoire, eg Paquita grand pas, Ashton’s Les Rendezvous, are often selected for the programme. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Yes thank you Alison; I didn't expect there to be any tickets available so hadn't been checking. Looking forward to it now.

Does anyone know what will be performed?

There's a bit of info here - I presume this covers both Holland Park and at Covent Garden. Very much looking forward to it - if not the heat !

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/summer-performances/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is from the RBS website:

This year’s programme includes a variety of both classical and contemporary pieces, selected by our Artistic Director Christopher Powney. Performances will feature Raymonda by Marius Petipa, PreSENTIENT by Wayne McGregor, Yondering by John Neumeier and Swan Lake by Marius Petipa & Lev Ivanov with additional choreography by Frederick Ashton. We are also thrilled to be bringing all new works by Mikaela Polley, Joseph Toonga and Jason Mabana, created on students especially for these performances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ooh! The costumes in the first photo look very familiar- I wonder if they’ll be including Ashton’s choreography for the Act 1 Waltz and Act 3 Pas de Quatre from his and Norman Morrice’s 1979 production of Swan Lake. It was the first ever Swan Lake that I saw- admittedly on tv rather live - and we recorded it to watch on playback (over and over again!) .....loved it and still my favourite of the many productions  I’ve seen from choreographers all over the world. 

Edited by Emeralds

11 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Ooh! The costumes in the first photo look very familiar- I wonder if they’ll be including Ashton’s choreography for the Act 1 Waltz and Act 3 Pas de Quatre from his and Norman Morrice’s 1979 production of Swan Lake. It was the first ever Swan Lake that I saw- admittedly on tv rather live - and we recorded it to watch on playback (over and over again!) .....loved it and still my favourite of the many productions  I’ve seen from choreographers all over the world. 

I think it's just the pas de douze (act 1 waltz).

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

I think it's just the pas de douze (act 1 waltz).

Thank you- that is a beautiful waltz .....unfortunately, I just found out that we can’t go- it clashes with something a friend has already organised! But I would recommend the programme highly to everyone, especially with the great prices. 

Also, in case it affects anybody:

No Southern rail or Gatwick Express services from Victoria

During Network Rail re-signalling work, there will be no Southern rail or Gatwick Express services to/from Victoria on Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 July.

For East Croydon and stations between Gatwick Airport and Brighton, use Thameslink services from Blackfriars. Use Southern rail services from London Bridge for other destinations. Thameslink and Southern tickets will be accepted on the Tube between Victoria and Blackfriars/London Bridge/Balham.

Circle line

Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 July

No service between Aldgate and Edgware Road (via Victoria)

Use alternative Tube services or local bus routes.

District line

Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 July

No service between Embankment and Upminster

Use alternative Tube, rail, local buses or rail replacement bus services.
  • Thanks 1

This looks like another huge problem for me, Thameslink already advise their customers not to travel as the trains will be over-crowded and hot (don't they have any air-conditioning?) but at least the 11 and 15 buses seem okay from Trafalgar Square to City Thameslink although of course they will also be very crowded. I will very likely E-mail the Box Office tomorrow before 12pm to get a refund!

Thanks for this info.
So it’s just Victoria station itself affected thanks for that I will tell some friends who I know are going from Brighton. 
Precisely because of this sort of thing and because it’s SO early I’m going up to London the night before and can use Thameslink for return on Saturday which I nearly always use nowadays anyway. It’s months since I’ve used Victoria. 

Beryl
The air conditioning on Thameslink trains is usually very good another good reason to use that line… I was up in London on Tuesday and it was really cool on the train. 
I suspect they are worried more about crowds coming down to Brighton from London for the sea. 
At least you will be going each way in the opposite direction mostly. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

Also you don’t need to go to Trafalgar Sq. If you get off at Australia House in Aldwych ( the stop past the Royal Courts of Justice) it’s very quick to walk through to ROH from there. 
Buses 11, 15, 26, and 76 all go to this stop and wouldn’t expect them to be more crowded than usual. Most people going to London for the day get off at London Bridge or Blackfriars not City Thameslink. 

• Like 1

Not really that familiar with the tubes and London train due to being up north but will these no services effect me from being able to travel to ROH from Euston? We arrive at Euston for 8am so we do have plenty of time to travel to Covent Garden but I’m one of those people that like to know exactly the route I’m going to take and not have to rely on reading signs or maps 😅

If the weather is nice, it’s quite a pleasant walk from Euston to ROH, allowing 30-45 minutes depending on your walking speed.  Or you could get the 68 bus.

If I’m getting the tube I would get the Northern Line to Leicester Square and walk the rest of the way.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

If the weather is nice, it’s quite a pleasant walk from Euston to ROH, allowing 30-45 minutes depending on your walking speed.  Or you could get the 68 bus.

If I’m getting the tube I would get the Northern Line to Leicester Square and walk the rest of the way.

Thank you for this - I hadn’t realised it was a (relatively!) short walk. Given the weather is supposed to nice this weekend I’ll think we’ll give that a go!

16 hours ago, Beryl H said:

This looks like another huge problem for me, Thameslink already advise their customers not to travel as the trains will be over-crowded and hot (don't they have any air-conditioning?) but at least the 11 and 15 buses seem okay from Trafalgar Square to City Thameslink although of course they will also be very crowded. I will very likely E-mail the Box Office tomorrow before 12pm to get a refund!

Beryl H, the Thameslink trains are larger than Southern ones and air conditioned.

However, with summer temperatures and high uv levels, they can warm up easily (greenhouse effect) in the afternoon so I expect that’s why Thameslink have advised those who are more frail or don’t enjoy hot temperatures against travelling- but morning (as the matinee starts at noon) should be pleasant and cool for you, even with additional passengers from Southern (Thameslink trains on Saturday mornings are normally quite empty). 

City Thameslink is within walking distance to ROH - 15 to 25 minutes, depending on how fast you walk. The buses aren’t crowded on a Saturday morning either. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I walked it in one of the tube strikes because all the buses were full and was surprised that it wasn’t that far in the end. I was going to City Lit just round corner from ROH and it took me less than 25 mins probably about 22/3 mins but I got to the College at least ten minutes before I thought I would!! 

• Like 1

If you are walking from City Thameslink to the ROH, remember to use the Ludgate Hill exit (back of the train if coming from the south).  It's a longer walk if you use the other exit. 

It's a slightly longer walk from Blackfriars (just a few more minutes) but you can walk along the river so it's rather pleasant.   

• Like 1

Yes I learned the BACK of the train rule a couple of years ago when came out at the front end and took some time to work out where I was!! 
Also at the back end exit the bus stop is literally right outside the station which makes it all easier. If no time pressure the river walk from Blackfriars is nicer I agree but usually I always seem to be trying to get somewhere with just about enough time to do it 🙄

Very irritating at breakfast to find an email telling me my 7:00 train is cancelled. If the 8:00 runs to time, I should make the start of today’s performance. The train I’d booked is running from Preston but that means there’ll be two lots of Glasgow to Preston passengers for the 8:00 train so I expect the train will be very crowded. Not a good start.

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

Very irritating at breakfast to find an email telling me my 7:00 train is cancelled. If the 8:00 runs to time, I should make the start of today’s performance. The train I’d booked is running from Preston but that means there’ll be two lots of Glasgow to Preston passengers for the 8:00 train so I expect the train will be very crowded. Not a good start.

I hope you get there in time, JohnS! (And that you get a seat on the train!). How very annoying.

• Like 2

Yes hope you make it JohnS

Looking at the cast sheet why does it only tell you the choreographer and nothing about the music!! 
I hope there will be a proper programme at the ROH today. 

Im truly fed up with not having proper printed cast sheets. It was too late for me to have any chance of printing this off yesterday before the performance. 

I shall be particularly looking forward to Caspar Lench’s duet ….the piece is also choreographed by another student in his year group as saw these two as year 7 students. It’s nice to know of a few students who have made it all the way since year 7 …these not the only two of course!!   

• Like 2

The Annual Performance programmes are usually very good, with decent information on the ballets/extracts. They include a lot of photos of the students, particularly those graduating this year.
Pleased to say the 8:00 is running on time and I have a seat!

• Like 5

Well their usually very full and fancy programmes for all the other RB  ballets don’t seem to show much worry about Climate change lol.

Perhaps these could be less full as on more expensive paper and either add a page with cast on or have less pages and have separate cast sheet which can always be printed on recycled paper. 

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

The Annual Performance programmes are usually very good, with decent information on the ballets/extracts. They include a lot of photos of the students, particularly those graduating this year.
Pleased to say the 8:00 is running on time and I have a seat!

Today’s programme is a bit thin! Though perhaps that reflects the reduced price of £6! I’m sure there was more last time.

3 hours ago, MJW said:

Today’s programme is a bit thin! Though perhaps that reflects the reduced price of £6! I’m sure there was more last time.

The programme is very poor....it gives no  background to the works being performed, and hardly anything about the RBS. The only two articles are a welcome from the Artistic Director and a tribute to the late Lord Sainsbury.

• Like 1

What’s happened to the second page of this thread? 
Just seen my last comment was appropriately on the Performance Thread  about this Show. But have got muddled with the two threads as think my other comment there about the Programme was meant for this thread 🙄

Edited by LinMM

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

What’s happened to the second page of this thread? 

It is now a thread in performances seen!

People were commenting on the actual performance on 2 separate threads so it seemed sensible to create a new one specifically about the performance this afternoon.

• Like 2