Make up

Dancers Dad

Hello. My daughter has never really been a make-up person but now at vocational school has to have some stage make-up that she can use for shows.

Neither my wife nor I, nor my daughter, know where to start - any clues please? Is there some kind of ideal starter pack somewhere?

Thanks very much.

35 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

Hello. My daughter has never really been a make-up person but now at vocational school has to have some stage make-up that she can use for shows.

Neither my wife nor I, nor my daughter, know where to start - any clues please? Is there some kind of ideal starter pack somewhere?

Thanks very much.

Hi. My DD only ever bought hers at Superdrug. Regular liquid foundation ie L’Oreal true match and a few colour palettes (ideal Christmas pressie) . Along with eye liner pencil which can be sharpened avoid Kohl  or liquid to begin with as it’s less forgiving for a newbie etc. Nothing fancy or OTT.  Even the brushes and applicators weren’t expensive as long as they clean them on a regular basis they will last.  They gradually accumulate items over time. The older girls are normally more than helpful on offering tips and advice to the younger pupils they just need to ask.  

• Like 3

My DD whether it was school, even now in junior company only uses Boots or Superdrug make up. Foundation that matches her skin tone, eyeliner, mascara, blusher, lipstick, brow powder/ pencil, colour palettes (nude and mix colours)and fake lashes. Small selection of brushes (you can get nice cheap set in Boots too).

Make up wipes are always handy and small cotton buds for finer details, hair gel (moco de gorila) and hair spray - strong hold. Nothing else. 

Edited by FlexyNexy
Additional details
  • Like 3

Extremely helpful everyone, thanks very much!

@Dancing unicorn - no, they haven't been very specific

@balletbean and @FlexyNexy- excellent advice thank you. Liking the sound of Superdrug!

@Jan McNultyThank you. I did try a search but didn't get anywhere - probably lacking in search skills.

@Medora - thank you. She's not but others are and her Mum is, so we can have a look.

• Like 1

Superdrug is definitely the best option and you don't have to go for expensive brands.  Look at MUA and NYX - these were recommended by a make-up artist.  Consider getting:

Primer

Foundation - if for stage a shade (or two) darker than natural skin colour maybe needed (avoid colours that are yellowy or pinky)

Loose Powder - either translucent or a medium colour depending on skin tone 

Blusher - noting too pink

Eyeshadow pallet with natural colours

Mascara - black or brown/black

Lipstick - a red is what is normally asked for

Eye liner and lip liner are good but possibly not needed

Make-up fixing spray

Set of brushes is good to have and a nice bag/box to keep it all together

A make-up mirror that can either sit on a table or hang up is usually essential for shows as there is never enough mirror space

• Like 3

If course you might be too in the ball & consudering this right before the school/show director addresses this! When DD was year 7 vocational they got a list of items with suggested brands & colour codes (all reasonably priced) & then had a scheduled name-up lesson a couple of weeks before Show started I seem to recall!

Good luck & try steer her away from peer pressure as there’s always one kid who insists they should use MAC or whatever is the expensive brand in vogue with celebs!!! It can get pretty pricey once they say they must have X YZ!! Rimmel & Revlon & Max Factor always been reliable!! 

• Like 1

Check out this basic stage make up tutorial.

Be careful with normal high street make up product as many come off (particularly foundation) under the heat of stage lighting and sweating during dancing, this may mark and stain costumes which can be expensive to clean, especially tutus.

For stage make up I use Kroylan in Langley Court, Covent Garden, they used to be in Tavistock street before the lockdown, strangely enough I was in Kroylan this week. Kroylan do have a website.

• Like 2

@Peanut68 - this did make me smile.  I read your post late last night and didn't notice the typos!  What does that say??

@Dancers Dad - I think my dd had a few lessons on make up when she was at NBS many years ago.  In any case, she never bought fancy brands, just what suited her budget and her skin. I'm sure the older girls will be able to give advice as well.

• Like 2