London Open Weekend

Guest oncnp

Standing on the Main Stage sounds great - would be a first for me although I’ve very much enjoyed a number of back stage tours over the years. Hoping it’s a great success for all those able to go but for the time being I’ll stay home.

23 minutes ago, alison said:

Four days of it, too, I see - presumably Friends etc. only for the Thursday and Friday.  Sounds good.

EDIT: except every slot I try says Unavailable.  Don't suppose it's because booking hasn't opened yet? :( 

Hopefully you're right. I've been finding the same thing. I went there straight after the IG announcement. And  yet the time slots are not greyed out as they are when regular tours are sold out. Perhaps a problem with the site? 

9 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Booking isn't open to the public yet so keep watching the site.

Which is not at all what all of the ROH social media sites and the website said.  Another own-goal for the ROH. 

25 minutes ago, MJW said:

Patrons are on the 17th but you have to book by phone - not quite sure why the 17th is therefore referred to in the website if it isn't available to the public!

The whole thing is a mess. At some point after the original post they added General public can book for Saturday and Sunday only.  Except they can't yet.

And worse no one is clarifying or responding to questions on the IG site

Edited by oncnp

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

I rang. Website glitch. The person I spoke to was working from home.

It’s embarrassing that they haven’t got this right.

I'm afraid that's rather par for the course at the moment with a lot of organisations/companies. Working from home just doesn't work sufficiently - but nothing can really change until social distancing/'Covid secure' guidelines are relaxed which clearly won't be for some time. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Peony said:

Is that with standard booking (not friends etc)? All the slots still say unavailable for me☹️

I think so. I had the same problem for the Friends dates that others have reported. 

Very nice to be able to post positively on the Forum. 

I’m hoping it’s a ‘green shoot’ on the road to the return of events at the ROH

1 hour ago, Peony said:

Is that with standard booking (not friends etc)? All the slots still say unavailable for me☹️

Me too :( 

I feel the pain: I've just spent probably half an hour trying to make a payment via telephone banking, only to find that either the system isn't reading my numbers correctly (I can see them on the screen - I know they're correct) or getting cut off near the end and being told there are no support staff on this number and please ring back on [the number I rang in the first place]!  Part of the "new normal"?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I booked on the afternoon of 3 September and had no problems whatsoever getting my ticket for the Saturday morning or making a donation - and I am neither a Friend nor a Patron so perhaps I was just extremely lucky!  At half an hour, it is rather a short event but worth it just to be inside a theatre again! 

I tried looking at the Open House website on my laptop to see whether much is actually going on this year, but the dropdown menu doesn't allow me to go past about Ealing or so, so I can't tell!  I believe there are some physically open events, but I can't tell.

I don’t know if anyone else went but it was wonderful to be back in the ROH, to visit the ground floor cafe/bar, the shop and to go on the backstage tour.

All the ROH staff seemed very happy to be showing us around and were all very helpful and informative. 

The Stalls seating has been completely removed, to enable the orchestra to perform on a socially distanced footing for the upcoming live performances to be streamed. 

The tour finished on stage, where the informative and very engaging David Pickering, showed us all how to bow/curtsey to the Royal Box and the imaginary audience, accompanied by real  and very good-natured clapping from the ROH backstage staff present. 

I finished off in the shop buying cards/postcards of my favourite ballet dancer. 

So good to be back 

• Like 11

Thanks for this Rob. It sounds great. I too long to be back in London at the ROH but goodness knows when that will be. 

Were you allowed to take photos of the theatre from the stage? 

I recently had a reply from Alex Beard to an email I sent him. In it I mentioned Open House specifically and said it would be a dream to set foot on the ROH stage but couldn't get tickets or make it to London at the moment. He said they were considering continuing the Open House tours after Open House had finished so fingers crossed they do and I might yet set foot on the ROH stage. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RobR said:

Thanks 

There were no restrictions on photos and I would have done a selfie but for the fact that I was wearing a mask although some would say I look better wearing a mask ;)

I was expecting a selfie of your feet doing a little dance, perhaps steps taught to you by your favourite dancer 😀

• Like 2