Darcey Bussell judge on Strictly

Must admit she drove me crazy with all the "yeah". But that she can change. Thought she did ok. I didn't warm to her when she appeared before and haven't yet.

Was it wise. Well yes if she wants to move more into the media.

So hopefully she'll watch a vid of her "performance" and if so I expect alot fewer "yeahs" next week.

• Like 1

Darcey, dancing and all the lovely dresses means that we have started watching SCD for the first time since Alesha replaced Arlene.

I noticed fewer "yeah"s on Saturday, so perhaps someone had taken her to one side and had a little word.

I put it down to nerves, living in Australia for several years, and maybe habit picked up from the ballet studio? My dd's teacher says "show?" at the end of every sequence of steps or after a correction. I wonder if there is a repetiteur or Ballet Mistress at RB who used to say "yes?" all the time. :-)

But hey, she looked gorgeous and made constructive comments with good advice. What's not to like?

• Like 2

Personally I didn't find the "yeah"s and "okay"s that irritating.

I was very impressed with Darcey on Friday and Saturday - more so than the other judges (perhaps except Craig R-H) she gave very constructive criticism, pointing out helpful things for the contestants to work on next week (and doing so in a rather kinder way than Craig R-H!).

As a relative newbie to Strictly I thoroughly enjoyed both shows (and my early money is on Kimberly, Denise and Louis...)

• Like 1

Craig is the best judge. He says it like it is. It is interesting that he is always the one the dancers want a good score from as it means something. Bruno is fun but Len I think is poor. He knows his ballroom but then gives out high marks for no good reason. also he gets very personal in his attacks on Craig. Last year he behaved very poorly on too many occasions. Craig and Darcey largely marked in a similar manner which is good.

Bring Arlene back? Never! She'd become so sleazy. Like your grandmother perving. yuck. I liked Alesha. She'd been through it and had obviously researched requirements for the dances. Sure her grammar wasn't the best but, for me, that was far less irritating than Darcey's continual "yeah".

Oh and Bruce should go:-)

Which all goes to show we'll never agree on this one.lol

There used to be another dance programme where members of the publice got the chance to win a contract (not So you think you can Dance) - Wayne Sleep was a judge - can't remember name of the programme or the other judges. Just remember Wayne being rather good. Perhaps we could have alternating judges. Sorry I just got annoyed with CR-H felt his rant went on a bit long. It may have been an illegal lift (I wouldn't know) but the criticism took up a lot of time and consequently not every judge could comment on the dances. Anyway looking forward to next week - should be good - this and Merlin make my Saturdays!!

There used to be another dance programme where members of the publice got the chance to win a contract (not So you think you can Dance) - Wayne Sleep was a judge - can't remember name of the programme or the other judges. Just remember Wayne being rather good. Perhaps we could have alternating judges. Sorry I just got annoyed with CR-H felt his rant went on a bit long. It may have been an illegal lift (I wouldn't know) but the criticism took up a lot of time and consequently not every judge could comment on the dances. Anyway looking forward to next week - should be good - this and Merlin make my Saturdays!!

Personally speaking, I would gladly listen to the judges any time, rather than the inane "jokes" that Bruce inflicts us with! They are the first thing that should go if the programme is running late. He really should be replaced. (I switch off the sound whenever it is "bad joke time".)

I thought Darcey was great, and I can't wait for the rest of the shows, with her gracing our screens! :)

• Like 1

Agreed. I feel her and Craig play off each quite well - and they both seem to give the most constructive criticism.

Also, did you see Darcey demonstrate an arabesque arm to Fern - it was worth watching the show just for that! Perfection!

• Like 3

She's so much better already. I've never been keen on the sounds of her voice but I can live with it ;-)

We record the show though so we can ff past Bruce - can't bear his jokes - some are funny but so wish he'd stop trying to explain them! Definitely time he went.

Gosh some of you folk are incredibly harsh on Darcey. She'll be fine. It takes time to find your way on TV. Partic prime time. She's been dropped in right at the deep end.She's got a brilliant smile (and that gets her a hell of a long way) - and if she was smart she cd use the "Yahs" -as a sort of trade mark. Irritating ? Yes perhaps short term. But initially most idiosyncracies are.

My other thought is that the producers ought to move her next to Bruno. At the moment she's trapped between Len and Misery Guts. She could spark off Bruno a bit who wd also bring her in more.

Finally...she needs to trim her comments. One thought/one line each time she judges. Don't ramble on.

She'll improve. Just needs a bit of time and practice.

I agree that Darcey has been dropped in the deep end and will improve as the show goes on. We need to remember that her performing career involved no speaking at all! Talking on television in this type of programme is a skill which can only learned by experience over time.

• Like 2

I had misgivings when I first heard that she was to join the panel but I have completelty changed my mind in the last two weeks. I did find the 'yeahs' irritating but she seems to have stopped those and she gives good sympathetic feedback, if a trifle wordy sometimes. She also has a lovely warm smile which goes a long way to soften any criticisms she might make. I also think she is having a good effect on Craig and Len. She sits between them which offsets the tensions there were last year and she does seem to have a rapport with them both. I have always liked Craig, after all he is there to judge, and he knows what he is talking about, although he can go too far on occasions. All in all I think the panel are great this year and are acting as judges in a way they did not last year. This is a dancing competition and think they are quite right to comment on the lack of 'dance' content in some of the routines

• Like 4

I've enjoyed listening to Darcey's comments so far and am pleased she's replaced Alesha. IMO she's a great asset to the judging panel as she gives good constructive advice to the contestants especially on posture. It was interesting to hear her advise one of the female celebs to pretend she was wearing a necklace to open up her chest area. My daughter's ballet teacher used to say this to all of her (girl) students from the age of 5 (the boys were told to imagine showing off a medal) I've watched every series and was sad to see Arlene dropped from the original lineup as in my opinion hers and Craig's comments were the only ones worth listening to. I didn't enjoy the show during the Alesha years as I found her very annoying and used to press the mute button during her comments. Nothing against her personally, I liked her as a performer but felt she didn't add anything constructive to the show. Overall, I don't enjoy the show as much as I did during the first few series as I feel it's become quite silly at times with cringeworthy VTs. I tend to record it now and fast forward to the dances and Craig and Darcey's comments. After Alesha's poor grammar and diction, I can put up with a few 'yeahs' from Darcey.

• Like 3